Getting started

Description of your first forum.
nothing

Getting started

Post by nothing »

It appears that this is the only sub-forum I can post in. Not sure if it is UOE or a set up issue.

Anyway, I've not thought about fantasy football since the abomination of round 1, when I was resigned to not having a competition in 2020. Now I have a rubbish team full of low scoring players and stuffed up captains in every comp. So it's great to have the forum back and I look forward to more content, but apart from Ultimate Footy, there's not a lot of appeal for fantasy football at the moment.

Bailz66
Site Admin

Re: Getting started

Post by Bailz66 »

Welcome back Nothing

dylan123

Post by dylan123 »

nothing wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:16 pm
It appears that this is the only sub-forum I can post in. Not sure if it is UOE or a set up issue.

Anyway, I've not thought about fantasy football since the abomination of round 1, when I was resigned to not having a competition in 2020. Now I have a rubbish team full of low scoring players and stuffed up captains in every comp. So it's great to have the forum back and I look forward to more content, but apart from Ultimate Footy, there's not a lot of appeal for fantasy football at the moment.
Yep, in the same boat.

I wonder if the breakevens are updated with the magic number and all, if so my team is going to lose a heap of value.

Wheedus

Post by Wheedus »

So gonna ask the obvious question - what happened to the old site? Have we lost everything?

dylan123

Post by dylan123 »

Wheedus wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:27 pm
So gonna ask the obvious question - what happened to the old site? Have we lost everything?
Basically the server that was hosting the forum upgraded to a new version of vbulletin which isn't backwards compatible and I don't believe we could have it downgraded from what bailz said. So we still have the data but we can't really bring it back without buying the latest version of vbulletin which given the drop off of posters, is probably hard to justify (I think it's about $210 USD from what I can see).

So Bailz has set this up for us to use. It's not ideal given no content/less features/all users have to re-create accounts and likely don't notice the current board if they're hitting forum.php but I suppose we need to decide whether we want to persist with this, move to a discord/slack or possibly look at trying to fund the above price.

Given the lack of comments on the fb chat and here though, I think most of it seems a bit of a reach which is unfortunate.

Bunga

Post by Bunga »

Hi guys,

Disappointing but better than nothing, I was wondering what happened. Hopefully some our long standing members will return.

wogitalia

Post by wogitalia »

Good to be back, it's been a slow death if we're being honest so I guess we make do and then see what happens from there moving forward.

wogitalia

Post by wogitalia »

Are we confirmed that price rises begin in SC/RDT this week?

Elvs

Post by Elvs »

wogitalia wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:10 am
Are we confirmed that price rises begin in SC/RDT this week?
Yes, players prices go up after 2 games.
When calculating their 3 game average for that 3rd game it will be what ever they were priced at the start of the year.

Sledge

Post by Sledge »

Hey welcome all.

I like many others are struggling for motivation this season. In fact my main motivation this season is finding a way to save the forum.

I was talking with Dyl around round 1 about discord. It's an app that will work well on phone and on pc. You can add emojis so the :fyfe: emoji may yet survive. You can subdivide the sections like forums and they all kind of flow like a mix of a forum and our chat box. So we can set up some general boards as well as sections for people's teams.

I've had the idea brewing for a while as a way to remove costs and hopefully keep what's left of the band together. Because this has been the most rewarding part of internet for me for a decade and I really don't want to lose it.

Elvs

Post by Elvs »

I'm actually excited, I like the change this season brings from a fantasy point of view.

Agree with others keen to keep this place going, and not just for the fantasy chat but the other chat that comes with it.

dylan123

Post by dylan123 »

Sledge wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:26 am
Hey welcome all.

I like many others are struggling for motivation this season. In fact my main motivation this season is finding a way to save the forum.

I was talking with Dyl around round 1 about discord. It's an app that will work well on phone and on pc. You can add emojis so the :fyfe: emoji may yet survive. You can subdivide the sections like forums and they all kind of flow like a mix of a forum and our chat box. So we can set up some general boards as well as sections for people's teams.

I've had the idea brewing for a while as a way to remove costs and hopefully keep what's left of the band together. Because this has been the most rewarding part of internet for me for a decade and I really don't want to lose it.
Yeah I use Discord with a few different groups of mates and whatnot and think it would be great for this. Mobile app works well along with the app for computer and it can even be used in a web browser. Really easy to create multiple message boards on it and given it's like live messaging, great for when watching games imo.

I know Slack is another potential option, never used it myself so can't comment on it.

My concern with either of the above was getting people to move and losing members along the way but given we've lost the forum as such already, it's probably not that big of a loss now.

There are obviously a few other pros/cons to it compared to something like a forum (which works great for longer posts and going back through threads) but a free alternative I think is pretty appealing these days too.

dylan123

Post by dylan123 »

Elvs wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:23 am
I'm actually excited, I like the change this season brings from a fantasy point of view.

Agree with others keen to keep this place going, and not just for the fantasy chat but the other chat that comes with it.
Just the hardest season given you've already got a team picked but it feels like you're going into a fresh season with no information outside of some kind of irrelevant scores, no pre season etc and prices changing straight away.

I think it'll be a bit more laxed, just trade in those you like a bit more and have a bit of fun with it - unless you start go up the ranks, overthink it and then come tumbling down :D

Wheedus

Post by Wheedus »

That time on a Thursday night. Teams about the drop. I'm missing the Chatbox already :cry:

Sledge

Post by Sledge »

I would have been more excited had I not been stuck with a team I don't recognise 10 odd weeks after I picked it

nothing

Post by nothing »

I knew I picked a rubbish team, at least I can fix a quarter of it in SC this week.

dylan123

Post by dylan123 »

I've just set up a discord for now so we can use it for live chat and figure out what we want to do longer term - https://discord.gg/mPnBCM

cat for life

Post by cat for life »

Hey guys. I just popped in as well.

Haven't done fantasy for a few years but doing a draft league this year with some friends. So thought I come and say hi to the FFC crew.

dylan123

Post by dylan123 »

cat for life wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:00 pm
Hey guys. I just popped in as well.

Haven't done fantasy for a few years but doing a draft league this year with some friends. So thought I come and say hi to the FFC crew.
Good to see you're still floating about!

Feel free to jump into the discord if you want to talk footy or just stick a boot into the Crows :D