Team
    HAWTHORN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: The Cricket Thread

I couldnt disagree with that statement more. We have always pushed the boundaries in cricket with sledging and the like but its never stooped to cheating. Theres a certain standard that you have to hold yourself to when you wear the baggy green, I cant speak for other countries but that really means something to me. So sure its heavy handed compared to what the ICC would hand out but in isolation I think its lenient. Being reported today that Warner told Bancroft he "had to earn his stripes" by doing this ball tampering and Smith just let that slide. If Warner was never let back into the side I would be fine with it, bullying a younger teammate like that into cheating is ****ing reprehensible and has no place in our national team.
    Only ever talking SC

2. Likes dylan123, Bunga liked this post
    Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    924 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodges View Post
    I couldnt disagree with that statement more. We have always pushed the boundaries in cricket with sledging and the like but its never stooped to cheating. Theres a certain standard that you have to hold yourself to when you wear the baggy green, I cant speak for other countries but that really means something to me. So sure its heavy handed compared to what the ICC would hand out but in isolation I think its lenient. Being reported today that Warner told Bancroft he "had to earn his stripes" by doing this ball tampering and Smith just let that slide. If Warner was never let back into the side I would be fine with it, bullying a younger teammate like that into cheating is ****ing reprehensible and has no place in our national team.
    This.

Smith basically couldn't control "the bull" who it appears went off the rails - he isn't a natural leader of men/wasn't strong enough to stand up to people like Warner. Smith preferred to lead by example with his batting & his work ethic in the nets. He is a self confessed cricket addict, I am very concerned about how this is going to affect him mentally.
    SC is FFC's number 1 fantasy game

4. Likes Hodges liked this post
    Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

100% it has no place in the game and goes against the very ethics of this great game, I don't disagree. But it's not as if this "baggy green culture" everyone drags on about has a squeaky clean history.

What I'm saying is we didn't have to go and destroy our test teams livelihood for the next 3 or 4 years to make a statement (this will no doubt have ripple effects). I think the way in particular we as a country and through the media have turned our back on Smith is appalling, the reason why a good majority of die hard cricket fans have this opinion over casual fans is because they feel empathy for the situation he was in at the time. I understand that's hard to comprehend.

And of course you're entitled to your own opinion, as are the people who want them banned for life or thrown in jail (wouldn't surprise me).

Super Moderator
    Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    491 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter PosterFFC Blogger
    Fyfe Award - for outstanding contributions - Outstanding contributions accross the FFC and forwardpress blogs. A huge amount of work completed by Hedge so our thanks go out!!!

Sanctions are fair IMO.

The way I see it these are the issues at play, in order of how much they contributed to the CA ban;

1. The pre-meditated decision to bring sandpaper onto the field of play with the intention of using it to tamper with the ball.
    2. Lying about the material used and the players involved, under the pretence of "coming clean", at a press conference.
    3. A senior player coercing, to whatever extent, a junior player into tampering with the ball.
    4. Misdirecting the umpires about the incident.
    5. Tampering with the ball (ironically, the only issue with which the ICC has the means to sanction).

Funnily enough I think if Bancroft had just said that he had accidentally left the sandpaper in his pocket from before play, found it when he was out in the middle and tried to have a go at roughing up the ball, he'd have got anywhere from a fine to a one-match ban. The press conference immediately following the days play laid out the pre-meditation, which lead to the thoroughness of the investigation that exposed the whole incident. The actual tampering wasn't even deemed bad enough for a 5-run penalty or a change of ball. Don't get me wrong I think the outrage is a joke and I think the clambering for the moral high ground is nauseating with a lot of ex-players using it as a chance to sink the boot in. It was really, really dumb but far the darkest day in Australian sport and certainly not worthy of comment from Prime Ministers.

You can't really say that this is a decision aiming to appease the vaguely interested public and at the same time care what other teams think. The rhetoric from international commentators has largely softened since the rumours started about 12 month bans started.

It's only the home India series that the ban will likely affect the outcome, but on the positive side it allows us to trial an extra 3 batsmen in the lead up to the 2019 Ashes (which Smith will play in). I don't think some time away from the game will be too bad for Smith, he looks increasingly frustrated in the field, his form hasn't been flash in SA and his captaincy was poor to begin with (tactically speaking; his performance with the bat since becoming captain is incredible). I can already see his comeback arc, I think he'll be welcomed back into the team and I still think we'll win more than we lose in the 12 months (not including the final test vs SA). I reckon this'll actually have a bit of a unifying effect with Warner gone as well but that's pure speculation on my part.
    Anyone
    Anywhere
    Anytime

7. Likes Notorious_29 liked this post
    Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bunga View Post
    This.

Smith basically couldn't control "the bull" who it appears went off the rails - he isn't a natural leader of men/wasn't strong enough to stand up to people like Warner. Smith preferred to lead by example with his batting & his work ethic in the nets. He is a self confessed cricket addict, I am very concerned about how this is going to affect him mentally.
    I disagree, Smith was the best captain we've had since Steve Waugh. If that part of the narrative the media is deciding to report on today is true, then yes he let his guard down in a time of desperation.

I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if this destroys Smith completely as a cricketer. It'll take a strong character to come back from it.
    Last edited by Notorious_29; 29th March 2018 at 07:13 PM.

Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

England embarrass and break a new ODI world record over night against Australia, 481 in 50 overs. Get used to it folks, this is what you all wanted.

FFC Senior Assistant Coach Robbo's Avatar
    Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I watched first 5 overs and couldn't watch anymore. Thought they'd tip over 400, but 481 was insane
    First Passenger on-board the Stefan Martin Train!

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Notorious_29 View Post
    England embarrass and break a new ODI world record over night against Australia, 481 in 50 overs. Get used to it folks, this is what you all wanted.
    Not as if Warner or Smith bowl, 4 best quicks all injured.

An ordinary effort but depth just isn't there for this format while England are very good.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

12. Likes Hodges, dylan123 liked this post
    Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by twarby View Post
    Not as if Warner or Smith bowl, 4 best quicks all injured.

An ordinary effort but depth just isn't there for this format while England are very good.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Yes, but a simplistic view all the same, it's more to do with the psychological backlash and turmoil of what went down that will continue no doubt even when the bowlers you mention return.

Team
    HAWTHORN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    279 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My issue with the side at the moment is it looks more like a T20 side than an ODI side.
    A lot of players have been picked on BBL form.

I think there is a massive difference between the skill set from 20/20 to 1 dayer especially for bowling.
    In 20/20 the perfect over is really 6 random bad balls, unpredictability, since the batsman is always looking to force shots.
    That doesn't work in longer formats as batsman can wait and just sit on bad balls.

Its the same with batting in 1 day cricket there is still time to build an innings and play patiently when a bowler is bowling well, in 20/20 you just chance your luck and see if you can hit out.

Having said all that don't think it would have made too much difference to that game.
    Last edited by Elvs1; 21st June 2018 at 12:02 PM.