Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter Poster

Draft winners and losers

Hey guys im off to bed but before i go

Which clubs were the biggest winners and which were the biggest losers

North Got Atley a massive win which meant that smith fell to hawks which is also a huge win for them and the right sort of player that they need
    Last edited by bailz66; 19th November 2010 at 12:04 PM.

Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    906 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Re: Draft winners and loosers

Even though I am bias being a WCE supporter, I have to say that the eagles have to be one of the biggest winners of this draft. We have needs everywhere, but most pressing were in order :- a classy midfielder ready to play round 1, a key forward with a solid build, can play round 1. Another ruck to back up Cox & Nic Nat who is athletic, can move around Subiaco oval well. All 3 boxes have been ticked.
    Gaff was a certain top 5 pick - will play 200 games for the club. To get Darling at 26 & Lycett at pick 29 when both were considered first round choices is a fantastic result. Darling was considered a top 5 pick before this season. If he is fully recovered from his head injuries, keeps himself out of trouble off the field, WCE have struck gold.In the future, I can see him swapping between key forward & midfield much like Pavlich does. Lycett looks a very promising ruckman at 200cm/98kgs -moves like Dean Cox, very athletic. Can play as a key forward also. Great combo with Nic Nat in the future.
    North getting Atley at 17 a steal. North have drafted very well in recent years. I also think Freo have done well getting a classy ball user in Pitt at 20.
    Last edited by Bunga; 18th November 2010 at 10:49 PM.
    SC is FFC's number 1 fantasy game

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well when you put it into perspective, we have gained Jacobs, Tambling, Smith and Lyons out of this draft which is an extremely good result for us IMO. All should turn out to be quality players; even Lyons who was taken at #61 is apparently considered a "steal" by some people on our BF board.

Only critisism is Smith over Atley with #14 but I'm still fairly confident that Smith will turn out to be a very decent player for us. He may even get some game time for us next year if he can impress during the pre-season.
    Last edited by Thumpy; 18th November 2010 at 11:04 PM.
    Never argue with a fool. They'll drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Super Moderator
    Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    474 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter PosterFFC Blogger
    Fyfe Award - for outstanding contributions - Outstanding contributions accross the FFC and forwardpress blogs. A huge amount of work completed by Hedge so our thanks go out!!!

Sorry to be negative on the thread, but it's a weird concept to me, 'winning' and 'losing' a draft. All we're comparing it to is the generic order that most people have formulated from phantom drafts on bigfooty and the like. Big name players slide, but it's considered a 'win'. There are reasons however why players slide, which generally get overlooked. Atley and Darling are two examples of this. The winners are usually ones who pick up unknown type players late in the draft who come up and play like a top 20 pick, and are not usually the ones who pick up the highly rated sliders. Way to early to even make an opinion on who's done the best in relation to their needs and their picks.

But the biggest sliders would be Heppell, Atley, Pitt, McCarthy, Mitchell & Parker.

FFC Senior Assistant Coach insid3r's Avatar
    Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with what you said Bunga but I have heard some troubling stories regarding Darling and given our habit of picking players who attract trouble like magnet I am a little concerned. Also the fact that for a player of his abilities to slip to 26 could also suggest other clubs had their reservations about him?? I might be a little paranoid but WC recruiting in recent years hasn't instilled too much confidence in mean, although I do agree Gaff is a good pick and even though I don't know much about Lycett at the very least we went for another ruckman, but this time one that is not built like a bean pole.
    Last edited by insid3r; 18th November 2010 at 11:16 PM.

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yeah, have to agree Hedgehog. In fact, the only way we can really know who 'won' or 'lost' is to get the list from each club of where they rated every single player (taking needs into account where necessary) and then work out who got players rated furthest above their draft pick and who got players they rated closest to their draft pick...problem is, that'll never happen.

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If you listen to the callers on SEN, every draft pick is going to be a star and every caller is a talent scout who's watched their picks play a lot of games and knows everything there is to know about them....that can be read off the afl/club site/bigfooty.

Oh and most of them sound drunk but clearly their clubs must be winners.

FFC Senior Assistant Coach Knight Ryders's Avatar
    Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Absolutely ****ing pumped about getting Heppell at 8. Those in the know seem to think he's a gun midfielder (played midfield after champs and averaged 31 poss) and a classy ball user. Steinberg a huge shock, but I really rate an under age footballer who can kick 7 in an mature age Interleague match. That's insane. Of the others, bit of a wait and see I guess. Interestingly I read somewhere that Heppell didn't know what all the fuss was with his groin and he was fine. May be another untruth by the Bombers to get their man...

Link: http://www.milduraindependent.com/ne...sport&Itemid=3
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/Knight_Ryders

2014 Prediction: Freo and Dangerfield to dominate the AFL

Team
    NORTH MELBOURNE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Not really too big on the whole winners and losers at this point in time. Come back in 4 years than we can make a better decision on who did the best from the draft. However am stoked that we managed to obtain Atley and Harper with our first two picks, both fit our needs and seemed to be best available at those picks. Delaney looks a good back prospect and should fit in well with his brother who's currently on our rookie list. And knew we would take a ruckmen, with Ben Mabon at 71.

Lot to look forward to with our drafting in the last few years, can wait too see a midfield consisting of Swallow, Wells, Ziebell, Cunnington, Bastinac, Greenwood, Anthony, Adams, Atley and Harper in the near future.
    Last edited by Clonkers; 19th November 2010 at 04:06 PM.
    Steele Sidebottom and Ben Cunnington. My boys for 2012.

Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    906 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by insid3r View Post
    I agree with what you said Bunga but I have heard some troubling stories regarding Darling and given our habit of picking players who attract trouble like magnet I am a little concerned. Also the fact that for a player of his abilities to slip to 26 could also suggest other clubs had their reservations about him?? I might be a little paranoid but WC recruiting in recent years hasn't instilled too much confidence in mean, although I do agree Gaff is a good pick and even though I don't know much about Lycett at the very least we went for another ruckman, but this time one that is not built like a bean pole.
    I hear what you are saying insid3r with Darling.He is a classic high risk/high reward pick. Clubs would of been concerned over the head injuries he received from an incident at Subiaco hotel earlier this year/other off field trouble. Performances on the field not quite as good this year as last year. I watched him play last year for West Perth & could not of been more impressed. For a kid to play CHF in a league WAFL club as well as he did showed his potential - many have said he is very similar to Jono Brown at the same age. Lets hope he turns out to be as good Darling has admitted to be getting abit down this year, waiting his time to get to play AFL-frustrated at seeing Swallow, Matera,Bennell all certain picks for GC while he waited. I really think if has recovered from the head injuries we have struck gold.
    Lycett is a very athletic ruck who at 200cms/98 kgs is already a solid build. Played seniors for Port Adelaide Magpies this year. He is a very good mark(can play key forward) & an accurate kick. Moves very well for a big man,videos of him shows he has a nice amount of aggression which I like in a ruck. Nic Nat & Lycett should form a great ruck combo.
    SC is FFC's number 1 fantasy game

Team
    GEELONG
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bunga View Post
    I hear what you are saying insid3r with Darling.He is a classic high risk/high reward pick. Clubs would of been concerned over the head injuries he received from an incident at Subiaco hotel earlier this year/other off field trouble. Performances on the field not quite as good this year as last year. I watched him play last year for West Perth & could not of been more impressed. For a kid to play CHF in a league WAFL club as well as he did showed his potential - many have said he is very similar to Jono Brown at the same age. Lets hope he turns out to be as good Darling has admitted to be getting abit down this year, waiting his time to get to play AFL-frustrated at seeing Swallow, Matera,Bennell all certain picks for GC while he waited. I really think if has recovered from the head injuries we have struck gold.
    Bunga, all you guys need is a bit of leadership down there to reel in Darling and I am certain he will be a fine player. Someone to take him under their wing. Not sure who that is though. I thought you guys did very well in the draft. I also think North smashed it. Picking Atley at 17 was a great get, so to Harper at 27.

I am very happy with Smedts and Scott mentioned that he will be a great "midfielder" for the club, so keep an eye out for this kid.

But yeh, as hedgehog mentioned. Hard to tell at this stage.
    Zach Tuohy my boy for 2017!

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    869 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

[Grammar Nazi] Please fix the title... that spelling error is my absolute most hated, well maybe that and people messing up dominant/dominate![/Grammar Nazi]

The Swans draft seems "pleasant" to me. I think we went back to the past with a pretty conservative draft, especially compared to the aggressive draft last year. I actually like the Spangher pick the more I think about it. I still remember really liking him in the under 18s and he is a good physical specimen and we certainly need a few more KP defenders, especially with the Bolton doubts. Hopefully he follows Bolton around and really gets what it is all about though!