Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    906 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Name Your Club's Picks

With the national draft happening later today, I thought it would be interesting to see what you guys think your respective clubs will do with their recruiting. Here is your chance to show how well you know your team & what their requirements are. If you can include descriptions about the players that would be great- always good to see exactly what type of player they are. The player descriptions I have included are courtesy of Quigley from BF - rate his write-ups very highly, most of them are very accurate.
    WCE have picks 4,26, 29 & 62 in the draft.

Pick 4 :- Andrew Gaff
    DOB 16/6/92 Ht 182 Wt 78

Gaff is a very special package and I consider him a virtual certainty to be at least a very good player in the AFL. There has been a fair bit of talking of him down in various BF circles and personally I am not seeing what the trouble is. Firstly what he is not – he is not a hard nosed inside ball winner. He is capable of winning his own ball when it is his turn but he is predominantly an outside receiver. He will shark packs and pick up balls that fall his way but mostly he will position himself to receive or use his endurance to create space. At the champs he often played as a link man between the defense and the midfield. He is a great safety valve who is always open and when he gets the ball he does good things with it. He has also shown himself to be a capable goal scoring half forward at TAC level but personally I think he has more value behind the ball where he can use his endurance to best effect.

His kicking is often criticised and I think this is way off base. The popular opinion is all he can do is chip it around and he can’t kick over a jam tin. This is not right. He actually has pretty good penetration on his kicking when he decides to use it. The thing is though that he rarely does. He likes to play within his limits and he excels at that. When he gets in a full time environment I am sure that you will start to see him kicking it a lot further because he will be more confident and the players he is playing with will be open and working further down the field. His short to mid range kicking is exceptional. He picks good targets and then hits them often with the running taking the ball in stride. When he goes with the shorter options he does tend to lean back on his kick which does rule out a change to a longer option but the lean does tend to give him excellent feel on his shorter kicks. He is a left footer and is pretty one sided. He occasionally uses his right but looks awkward doing it and occasionally gets into trouble trying to get onto the left rather than using his right. Although he plays more behind the ball than ahead of it he does occasionally get forward and is a pretty reasonable shot on goal. When he gets the ball in scoring distance his eyes tend to light up and he will lock on goal rather than opting to give off. Not selfish but sure in his ability to put it through given the chance.

He has excellent game sense and he reads the play exceptionally well. He runs to the right places, evaluates the situation quickly and will take the best option nine times out of ten. He does not rush his disposal under pressure and will take that extra second or two needed for his target to pop open. If there is a criticism I think he could do more of the little team things coaches love like shepherding. Tackling as well is not a strength of his and is something that will be worked on at the next level. He has elite endurance (he won the 3km in 10 mins flat and did a 15.3 in the beep test) and uses that well going forward where not only does he show good endurance but elite gut running ability. Quite simply there is no-on who can go with him at AFL level. He probably needs to use his running power a little more often when the ball is going the other way. His other tests were all pretty average (not bad just middle of the pack). He is not a hugely quick player and tends not to play with a whole lot of pace but you do not often see him caught and you do see him running away from his pursuers quite often. He is fairly thin at the moment but he does have reasonable legs and looks like he will bulk up fine as he gets older. He does need to work on his strength and his core strength in particular and he gets buffeted around in the air a bit. He is a reasonable mark but I would not say this was a strength of his. His character, dedication and intellect are exceptional and should stand him in good stead at the next level.

Pick 26 :- Jack Darling
    DOB 16/6/92 Ht 191 Wt 87

He is marked down by many because he is considered not tall enough nor athletic enough for the main position he has played to date – full forward. People also think he has benefited from playing most of his junior career as a man amongst boys and there is limited scope for improvement. On the face of it all that is true but it completely discounts his biggest weapon and something which could make him an elite player at AFL level – his football brain. The kid is a footballer and his ability to read the play, get to the right position and influence the play to the best advantage of his team is superb. This is not just leading out and kicking goals this is also shepherding, tackling, tapping the ball on, calling his teammates into a play, spoiling, being a physical presence and generally doing all the little things which help teams win. At 191 he also rucked in the forward line and managed a very respectable 28 hit outs. Like Tom Rockliff a couple of years ago you need to overlook what many believe to be his physical limitations and see the exceptional things that he can bring to a team.

Most people also have him pegged purely as a KPF and figure if he doesn’t make it there there is nothing else for him. The thing is he played plenty of midfield at the Champs and did it very well. I am sure the club recruiters were paying close attention to this because this is where I think his future lies. When he goes into the middle he is a very solid clearance winner and has GAJ-like core strength over the ball and just refuses to be moved. He covers a fair bit of ground and will get into the backline to help out if needed. I think he needs to improve his endurance levels to get the most out of himself as currently I think this area limited his repeat efforts, chases and ability to play through the midfield for extended periods. The fact that he had some OP last preseason might worry a few teams with plans for him in the midfield. He gets to space well when in the middle but not as often as he could if had more of a tank.

Darling managed to average 16 possessions per game at the champs splitting time up forward and in the midfield. He has very quick hands and is a good field kick of the ball. His options taking is excellent and he is very composed with the ball in hand taking the time for his options to open up rather than rushing things. He is a one touch player with very clean hands and is an exceptional mark overhead. He may struggle up forward in the AFL against bigger and faster opposition but he is a smart leader who gets separation despite not having great pace and with his hands he will always be dangerous. He is a nice shot for goal with range comfortably out to 50. He is perhaps not an exceptional shot for goal but is above average for a forward at junior or AFL level.

My biggest concern with him is off the field where he has been generating serious flags for the last year. There have always been a few concerns about him but getting excluded from the private school he attended and then being seriously hurt in a fight outside a nightclub would have many teams worried introducing him to their teams especially if they were a young team without a strong leadership group (eg the Gold Coast). Teams will be doing a lot of homework on his psyche.

Pick 29 :- Warwick Andreoli
    DOB 28/2/92 Ht 182 Ht 73

Andreoli looks like a stereotypical modern winger. He is smooth mover who covers the ground well and plays the game at pace. He has a nice kicking style on his left and will carry the ball, breaking the lines and hitting the forwards up. He has a name as an exceptionally quick player but watching him closely on a few occasions I am not sure how well that stacks up. He accelerates well and seems to do everything at pace but he rarely runs away from players and its not uncommon for him to be run down. He might well be one of those guys who has a reputation for being quick and when you see him play you agree but really isn’t. Whatever though he makes the best of what he has got and he plays the game quickly. Looking at his Combine results he put up a nice but not great time in the 20m and did poorly in the endurance events. It could well be that he does not have the endurance at the moment to make full use of his pace.

He plays predominantly outside and will look to receive on the outside of a pack at first instance. If he sees the ball coming his way though he will attack it and he wins more clearances than you would expect for a guy with a firmly outside reputation. When under pressure his hands are not particularly quick and his kicking does drop off. In tight he also does not have the cleanest hands but he is very good at keeping the ball in front of himself and working it forward until he has the chance to pick it up. He maintains good balance over the ball in the contest for such a light guy. His balance overall is a feature of his play particularly when he is on the move or kicking in space. His agility is very good and he has a lithe body which enables him to make tacklers miss or make only an easily broken grasping grab. He moves between tacklers very well and frees his arms pretty well in tackles. He is not much of a defensive presence and its rare to see him making a tackle.

As an outside player you would also like to see him winning more than the 15 possessions a game he got at the Champs. As mentioned above his endurance base at the moment is poor and he needs to build his engine and free himself up more. Mostly at the moment he tends to follow play and receive in fairly congested situations. He needs the running ability to allow him to get to dangerous spots more often. He is a country boy who has developed well in the time since joining South Fremantle but there is still a way to go but the development curve for him is good and he has shown a willingness to work on his game.

A guy on BF called Royal Eagle seems well informed & has said the club is choosing between Kirk Ugle & Rhys Cooyou or best available for pick 29. Ugle has a reputation for being a bit of a tool/trouble maker so I really hope we give him a miss especially if we are taking the punt on Darling at 26 who has the same issues.

Pick 62 :- Jacob Brennan 182cm/ 79kgs

Father/Son- running half back who is seriously quick. Really developed as the WAFL season progressed. Has had injuries in the past but is over them now. Really became much more focused on his footy this year.
    SC is FFC's number 1 fantasy game

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Name Your Club's Picks

Write-ups also courtesy of Quigley/Snoop Dog

Pick 22: Mitch Wallis (F/S)

Mitchell Wallis
    DOB 24/10/92 Ht 185 Wt 80

The kid is a ball magnet no two ways about it as 47 odd possessions in the TAC final is testament to. He can rack it up both inside and outside and that is really his main skill. He really needs to work a lot on his hurt factor as at the moment it is virtually non-existent. He lacks penetration in his kicking and when he does kick it is unadventurous and usually to a very safe option. He does not have confidence to try and pinpoint a pass and often requires the man to stop and prop to take the pass. He can also go through periods where he seems to lose all confidence in his kicking and get very handball happy ala Jobe Watson. At the next level where there is less time and space and the players shut down the little space there is very quickly he could have difficulty.

Similarly with his handball he concentrates on getting it there most often and does not use it in any way as an attacking weapon. In tight his hands are clean and he seems to have excellent awareness of where the players are around him. He can occasionally fire it to the wrong player making a lie to this but equally often he can flick a pass out to someone who you wonder how he knew he was there. Despite not being very damaging with his handballs in open play he can clear from the contest exceptionally well (note his equal 3rd place finish in the handball test at Combine) and his 83% efficiency rating at the Champs was exceptional for a guy who spends so much time in the contest. In the contest he reads the ball off hands very well and uses his excellent agility (7th overall at Combine) to navigate through traffic to find the ball or make the tackle.

In the open field he finds space as well as anyone in the draft and his gut running ability especially at the end of quarters is really outstanding considering the injury issues he has had over the year. He does not have the endurance base that some of the other prospects have. He is a very disciplined player who prides himself on playing within team structures. I suppose that is easy when you are greenlighted to chase the ball at every opportunity but he does do that very well and he is relentless.

Overall Wallis is a very reasonable all around midfield prospect who can find the ball with the best of them and he is certainly worthy of this pick. The biggest concern are his skills where there is a lot of room for improvement and coming from a football family you wonder whether they will ever be up to what you would like (see Watson and Cloke in this regard).

Pick 41: Tom Liberatore (F/S)

Tom Liberatore
    DOB 16/5/92 Ht 182 Wt 78

If I had been given a choice of Libba or Wallis I would chosen Libba and I would not have had a problem taking him in the top 20. So to me the Bulldogs getting him where they are is a real bargain. Wallis is certainly a far superior outside player as far as finding it goes and getting to space but Libba is improving and closing the gap and once he gets the ball Libba uses it much better and with greater hurt factor than Wallis. In tight is where Liberatore excels and gets most of his possessions. Like his old man Liberatore is one of the inside mids that gets right up in the ruck’s pockets and is at the bottom of every pack. He doesn’t really have the solid nuggetty build of his old man but he should fill out a bit. Even being a bit light he is still strong over the ball and holds his feet very well in the contest. He needs to put on some weight to play the same game at AFL level but it probably won’t take him that long. In the contest he has quick clean hands and read the ball off hands as well as anyone. He is very tenacious and will keep following the pill even to the extent of dropping off one tackle and taking another. In tight he makes his fair share of tackles and works hard when the opposition has the ball although he can arm tackle a bit on occasions.

His kicking can be a little erratic under pressure which is nothing unusual at this level but when he has a bit of time he has pretty good feel on his kicks and he picks out his targets well. Although I rate his kicking are pretty good it’s surprising to me that he came in third in the kicking test at Combine. The other surprise for me coming from Combine was his 20m time. Whilst he always looked like he had reasonable pace I I did not expect him to go under 3 secs in the 20m. It wasn’t all good news though I expected his agility times to be significantly lower than they were. He did not do the endurance test which I was a little disappointed in. I think he needs to up his endurance base and I was interested to see where he was currently at.

Overall though the Bulldogs have secured themselves a first class extractor who should be at the bottom of every pack for the next 10 years at least.

Pick 74: Paul Puopolo
    Norwood / 175cm / 82kg

Profile : 22yo that appears to have really come on this year and is on the Dogs radar albeit unclear if it is National or Rookie Draft. Did a little hunting and found some vision and he is definitely one that should get taken. Fast and aggressive and appears to be somewhat of a ready made replacement for Harbrow.
    Who is he like: Harbrow / Gilbee
    Draft Range: 40 - Rookie

Pick 88: Ben Casley
    Ben Casley – Western Jets/ 189cm / 82kg

Profile : Fairly unassuming player but has been very consistent for a disappointing for the Jets this season and probably one of very that will be considered. Casley will appeal as a guy with good height and run as well as good skills by hand and foot. He also has just a terrific sense for reading the ball. Would have been interesting to see how he would have gone in a better side with more support around him. Could play a variety of roles at AFL level and would have been good to see him at DC but was injured I think. Played a couple of games for Willy and went really well I think from memory and that is what has probably got him ahead of a couple of others.
    Similar to: Brad / Chris Scott
    Draft Range: 60 - Rookie

Pick 89: Jack Frost
    Jack Frost – Sandringham / 194cm / 83kg

Profile : One of my very favourite players and am somewhat surprised he hasn’t been talked about more. Had a terrific year for the Dragons and been really consistent. Has played at both ends of the field and is a terrific height for a KPD or KPF and also has terrific pace (tested faster than Farmer over 20m) and agility.
    Similar to: Jack Weston but taller.
    Draft Range: 50 - Rookie

The last two are with little information, although I do know we are fairly keen on Casley. Looking to Hargrave/Lake replacements give we've delisted Tiller/Boumann and Mulligan/Markovic don't seem up to it.
    Wouldn't surprise me if we went for a late speedster if one drops such as Brad Harvey or Kirk Ugle.

Super Moderator
    Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    474 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter PosterFFC Blogger
    Fyfe Award - for outstanding contributions - Outstanding contributions accross the FFC and forwardpress blogs. A huge amount of work completed by Hedge so our thanks go out!!!

Not what I'd like, so much as what I think we'll do. Profiles from the AFL website.

Pick 20 - Jamie Cripps
    183cm 75kg

Medium defender with excellent speed who takes the game on. Uses the ball well by foot and is sound defensively. Was an under-18 representative for WA, averaging 14 disposals at 69 per cent efficiency.

Pick 44 - Angus Litherland
    190cm 86kg

Angus is a tall defender with excellent closing speed and spoiling ability. He shows ability to rebound from defence.
    Pick 56 - Anton Hamp
    191 cm 80kg

Anton is a versatile type who makes good position and has a good work ethic. He has clean hands and his pace is also a feature. He represented Western Australia at the under-18 championships.

Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    289 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm hoping Darling can slip to 20, surely Fremantle wouldn't pass him up if he was available. The potential is huge and warrants the risk in my opinion. Haven't really got into this years draft after being heavily in the know last year, so looking forward to tonight and watching it all unfold. I'm just hoping one of Darling, Conca, Keiran Harper or Lucas Cook can slip to 20.

Team
    NORTH MELBOURNE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My guess at this point of time would be that we go with Jed Lamb or Jayden Pitt at our pick 17 and either another outside mid or someone like Lucas Cook at 27. Our last pick which is 69 would most likely be used on a project ruck men to replace for the loss of Hale. But will be interesting to see how it all unfolds tonite.
    Steele Sidebottom and Ben Cunnington. My boys for 2012.

Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    906 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clonkers View Post
    My guess at this point of time would be that we go with Jed Lamb or Jayden Pitt at our pick 17 and either another outside mid or someone like Lucas Cook at 27. Our last pick which is 69 would most likely be used on a project ruck men to replace for the loss of Hale. But will be interesting to see how it all unfolds tonite.
    Clonkers, North Melbourne have been strongly linked to Isaac Smith at pick 17. Pitt almost certain to go to Gold Coast before pick 17, Scott Clayton loves classy ball users like Pitt. Lamb looking likely for the hawks with Peterson & Hooper gone, very clever small forward. Here is Quigley's description of Smith :-

Isaac Smith
    DOB 22 Ht 187 Wt 75

This kid is one of the stories of the draft. As far as I can tell he was on exactly no-one’s radar at the beginning of the year being mature aged and playing country football for Redan. He performed well for them and ended up being selected for Victoria in the bush football champs and from there his rise has been meteoric. He starred for the victorious Victorians and was invited down to try out for North Ballarat. He played a few games in the reserves and with 3 games left in the regular season he got a game in the VFL. He finished the year very encouragingly and was selected in their team for their three finals where he flashed moments of brilliance and now he is up in lights and on everyone’s radar.

It’s very tempting to overrate him given his story and where he has come from but realistically he is still very raw with significant holes in his game. Certainly more than you would usually expect when drafting a 22 year old. Still he has shown massive improvement this year and there is no reason not to think there is huge scope for more improvement. He upped his fitness base at the beginning of the year and from that has allowed him to play the kind of game that has gotten him noticed. He tested at the Victorian State Screening and demonstrated elite athletic ability. His speed is very evident in his game and it was not a big surprise that he clocked 2.88 in the 20m but 14.6 in the beep was a little unexpected (both would have been top 10 at Combine) and 89cm in the running vertical was exceptional (88cm was the best at Combine). So needless to say he demonstrated that he has the athletic ability to bring his game to the AFL.

At AFL level he will be a wingman / HFF who can both kick goals and set them up. He is very good with the ball in hand and accordingly I would look to use him on the wing so that he can use his speed, long kick and line breaking ability more. I would still want him creeping into the forward line at every opportunity as he is certainly a goal kicker. He was the leading goal kicker for Redan this year when he was there. The comparison that is used a lot at the moment is to Stephen Hill but personally I think the better comparison would be too Tim Notting. His long stride is very Notting-esque as his long but too often errant kick. He has excellent penetration with his left foot but he will need some skill work when he gets into a professional environment to improve his radar and flatten the delivery out in short to intermediate distances.

He demonstrates good player awareness wherever he is on the field but under pressure he loses his composure a bit and can be a little turnover prone. At the moment you want him out in space with the ball in hand as with his pace and penetration he can go from the backline to the forward line in a flash. Not only does he time well speed wise he also plays quickly. I think he still needs to work on his gut running as he tends to fade in and out of games too much at the moment. His possession count is entirely too low for someone with his ability and needs to be improved. He needs to be taught where to run as at the moment he tends to not get as open as he should. Defensively he also needs some work and he wouldn’t cut it at AFL level yet. At 22 he only weighs 75kgs and wherever he goes next year he is going to be hitting the high protein diet and body building shakes very hard.
    SC is FFC's number 1 fantasy game

Team
    NORTH MELBOURNE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter Poster

Bunga i think port will take smith

Team
    NORTH MELBOURNE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yea i remember seeing Issac in the VFL Grand Final and thought he had a great game. But im not as much of a fan as compared to a lot of the people on the North Board, i still think he will be a good get in the draft but Im just not sure if we should take him with our first pick. Theres a bit of risk involved and there was also talk that he had been linked to Geelong at 15 anyway. But i will happily accept him if Bryce Lewis takes him at 17, since this bloke has done so well in the last couple of drafts and cant see this one being any different.
    Steele Sidebottom and Ben Cunnington. My boys for 2012.

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if North are a chance to take Josh Jenkins at 69 if they look for that 'project ruckman'. I would be very surprised if they did as I think he will still be around in the rookie draft.
    2010 Footytips AFL Fantasy Winner
    2010/11 ABC Ashes Fantasy Cricket Runner-Up
    2010/11 Foxsports Big Bash Cricket Fantasy Weekly Winner
    2011 tipthenrl.com NRL Tipping Winner
    2011 AFL Dreamteam Prospectus Group and AFL Membership Group Winner

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I'd like Caddy at pick 8, but I can see him going before then. If he's gone, I think Essendon will take Shaun Atley. My personal choice would be Caddy>Atley>Gorringe>Prestia.

Pick 8
    SHAUN ATLEY: 18, from the Murray Bushrangers. 189cm, 81kg. Adaptable midfielder who wins the ball and can run - quickly - with it.

Pick 30 (if no big name slider like Prestia is still available)
    Cameron Gutherie/Josh Green/Ben Jacobs

Team
    NORTH MELBOURNE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea i remember seeing Issac in the VFL Grand Final and thought he had a great game. But im not as much of a fan as compared to a lot of the people on the North Board, i still think he will be a good get in the draft but Im just not sure if we should take him with our first pick. Theres a bit of risk involved and there was also talk that he had been linked to Geelong at 15 anyway. But i will happily accept him if Bryce Lewis takes him at 17, since this bloke has done so well in the last couple of drafts and cant see this one being any different.
    Hope we get Smith too given that our list does need a bit of genuine leg speed. However, I have the utmost faith that Bryce Lewis will pick two good kids for us at 17 and 27. Interesting to hear Brad Scott say he was happy with the balance and composition of our list and thus North would be taking the best available player each round.
    Sam Wright - President of the prestigious "+14" Club

Team
    COLLINGWOOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    420 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nicholson who would love to be coming to Collingwood will more than likely be snapped up with an earlier pick from Brisbane or North.
    - twitter @mammes

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    869 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

I really haven't followed the draft closely this year and have no idea who Sydney is targetting...

I do love reading the descriptions though and thinking of comparisons...

In Bunga's when they talk of Gaff's kicking it sounds just like Bartel... The Darling 1st paragraph I swear was just copy and pasted from Jack Reiwoldt a few years ago!

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Don't have a live pick until #74 but I'm still excited.

Team
    GEELONG
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Woohoo, starting!
    Zach Tuohy my boy for 2017!