Important News

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which pair would Hawthorn be a better team with?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rioli + Dew

9 100.00%
  • Zaharakis + Pears

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hawthorn Draft Choices 2007

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    659 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter Poster

Hawthorn Draft Choices 2007

This is a bit of an interesting one, and quite a co-incidence that it involves Hawthorn's biggest rivals.

It's well known that in 2007, Hawthorn chose Cyril Rioli with their first rounder. What's not so well known is that Tayte Pears was their next choice.

Then, in the 3rd round, they chose Stewart Dew ahead of David Zaharakis.

So, in reality they landed a near-Norm Smith medallist for their flag, and a freak of a small forward.

However if things went a little differently, they'd have filled two of their biggest holes - a big bodied full back and a classy outside midfielder.

Obviously, they're going to be happy with Cyril, and why wouldn't you, but if things had gone differently, they could have a vastly different team.

The question: would Hawthorn be a better team with Dew and Rioli or Pears and Zaharakis?
    Never bet against Tom Rockliff

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Hawthorn Draft Choices 2007

If they had Pears and Zaharakis they wouldn't have a flag right now. Rioli was the one that sparked the Hawthorn surge when he made that brilliant tackle on the wing. Dew pretty much put the sword to them after that.
    Never argue with a fool. They'll drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

FFC Senior Assistant Coach Banked.'s Avatar
    Team
    ST KILDA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cyril will be the best of the lot, and if his body can hold up then I don't see why he can't become the classy outside midfielder.

Dew is debateable as it's an unusal situation with him, even though the Hawks wouldn't get years of games from him, it could be argued that without Dew they wouldn't have won the flag - and we know how hard they are to come by (look at the Hawks now). So imo in hindsight Dew was still a smart choice.

Pears would be great for them, but by the sounds of it the Hawks have a couple of young and upandcoming key defenders in Stratton and Schoemakers so perhaps they'll be covered in that area of the ground.

It's a hard question to answer, like are we talking going into 2011 and Dew isn't here anymore so it's basically saying Rioli vs. Pears + Zaharkis.

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    659 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Take everything into account, 2008 onwards.

FWIW, Pears is a big-bodied defender, Stratton and Schoey aren't.

Team
    ST KILDA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

What Dew has done is important. He was fantastic in 2008 so I'd lean towards Cyril (who is all class as we know) and Dew because they've had the success.
    Time will tell with Pears and Zaharkis.
    The Fantasy Footy Club: Like us on Facebook! |Follow us on Twitter!
    The Wizards of OZ FFC (est 2009)

Team
    GEELONG
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Great question.

For me premierships are all the difference and therefore I agree with Thumpy on this one. Rioli and Dew was the better choice at the time.

On the flipside, if they chose Zaha and Pears it might have lead them to numerous premierships in the coming years!

FFC Senior Assistant Coach His_Holiness's Avatar
    Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dew was a punt to win a premiership quickly and it worked. They're missing him now that he's gone though. Absolutely no doubt in my mind that picking Rioli ahead of Pears though was the best pick.

FFC Football Operations Manager ZergMinion's Avatar
    Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a big maybe on whether those two would have lifted the hawks to multiple future premierships...Winning the flag is really hard and even if they were evenly distributed your team allocation is one every 16 years, which will shortly be one every 18 years. Hawks won a flag in 2008 and those two players were integral, so you have to say they made the right choice, even if they win no more flags with the current group.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    869 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

1 Flag won makes this an easy choice, they absolutely made the right call.

For that matter, Pears hasn't shown a lot as yet, flashes sure but he hasn't put together any sort of consistent performance, so Rioli is still absolutely the right choice. It is arguable if Zaharakis would have even played by now for the Hawks due to how their team is made up, for instance, I dare say Crawford goes around again if he doesn't have a flag.

In reality I think both teams won from what happened, Hawks have the guy who looks comfortably the best player at this point, who also fits a big need whether he remains a small forward or becomes a class midfielder and they won a flag in large part because of Dew. Essendon have two good young players who have flashed plenty.

Disabled
    Team
    HAWTHORN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually think Tayte Pears is a bit overrated, from what I've seen of the Essendon backline it has still struggled against some big forwards and this is bearing in mind they have had Dustin Fletcher who has been regularly played a loose third tall role to offer plenty of support to the FB/CHB.

Team
    COLLINGWOOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    420 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I'd still take what the hawks took even now. If they didn't have Rioli they would be missing a gun small forward with the possibility of becoming one of the best players in the game. Neither Pears or Zaka will get there imo.
    - twitter @mammes

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    869 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

I'm not that impressed by Zaharakis, when I watch I think his absolute best case would be someone like Montagna, his realistic would be Michael Braun and that there is a realistic chance that he doesn't get much better than he already is. Could be symptoms of a bad side but I just haven't seen him really do anything all that special that makes me think wow.

I will admit though, I hadn't really seen that in Jack until last year and didn't really expect it to ever come to the fore even then and then this year he just went super saiyan after we let him off the leash so I wouldn't be surprised if he became an excellent player.
    Last edited by Wogitalia; 1st October 2010 at 07:39 PM.

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    659 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Think you guys are wrong on both of those guys. Hurley is the only one I'd have ahead of either of them.

Zaka will unleash either 2011 or 2012.

Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    289 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I rate Pears very highly personally. Only 20 and defenders usually take some time to develop. With Fletcher there to coach and help with his tactics and play Pears will be one the premier FB/CHB's in the competition in a few years time. Very similar situation to Harry Taylor, will be interesting to see hoe they go when Milburn/Scarlett and Fletcher retire.

FFC Senior Assistant Coach Knight Ryders's Avatar
    Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'd still take Rioli every day of the week. We'd probably have Rioli if it wasn't for Knights as everyone knows the Rioli/Long link.

In saying that, long term I think that Pears and Zaka can give us plenty. There is a reason that Zaka is underrated by other supporters and overrated by Essendon supporters - put simply, he has played as a FP for a majority of his career when he is clearly a midfield player. He will rack up some pretty impressive numbers next year if given the chance. I don't expect him to be in the absolute elite of midfielders, but I can see him sitting fairly well just under that rung in a few years.

I think with Pears that he is not quite a KPD and has suffered as a consequence, even though at times, he has done a very admirable job. I think that he is perfectly suited to the Harley/Maxwell role of floating third tall back. He has tremendous courage, good pace and very good foot skills. I also believe he is the toughest player on our list; during this year he played the game out with a broken forearm and a smashed pancreas. With some good coaching and structures, Pears and Hurley will show significant progress.
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/Knight_Ryders

2014 Prediction: Freo and Dangerfield to dominate the AFL