Team
    HAWTHORN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jordan Lisle (DEF) - Hawthorn

A player from Hawthorn that I'll be keeping an eye out for is Jordan Lisle is a 196cm/92cm key position player capable of playing in defence, forward and in the ruck. I think he is a similar type of player to Leigh Brown/Tom Hawkins in the sense he could become Hawthorn's second mobile pinch hitting ruckman. We have seen signs of the second genuine ruckman becoming redundant (aka Josh Fraser/Cameron Wood) and if interchange numbers are capped next year then I think it would be even more severe. Lisle's strengths are his ability to take contested marks, physical strength, courage, strength in the air, one on one situations, ability to set up play from defence (possessions/rebound 50s) and his reading of the game (marks from opposition kicks), his weaknesses are his speed, agility and athleticism.

Lisle was taken with pick #50 in the 2008 National Draft which looks far worse then what it actually is relative to other drafts given the depth pool was incredibly strong and also the fact it was the last uncompromised draft as GC and GWS are taking a lot of talent in the 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012 drafts. I remember reading that Hawthorn were prepared to use their first/second round draft pick on Lisle but they felt he would slip and that is why they didn't take him earlier. I think Lisle was taken so late because his weaknesses (mainly speed, agility and athleticism) were made to look a lot worse then what they actually were and also because Lisle didn't really come on until later in his junior career. I remember him saying that he honestly didn't think he would be selected for Vic Metro.

Lisle is yet to play a senior game yet mainly as a result of being a key position player and this taking a bit longer for his game and body develop however he was on the emergency list for nearly all of the year. Nevertheless from all reports he has been having a big impact in the VFL and has been dominating on a number of occasions. This year in 2010 he has spent the bulk of his VFL time as a tall forward who pinch hits in the ruck (ala Leigh Brown this year) however but spent most of his time in 2009 as a defender/forward. Lisle was selected as the CHB in the 2008 All-Australian under-18 team showing that he was highly touted as a junior.

In Lisle's junior days he was a solid scorer having the best the best SC average for a key position defender/tall utility in the 2008 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships averaging 106.8 SC which was better then Michael Hurley (who averaged 99.0 SC). Lisle's TAC Cup average of 98.2 SC wasn't as good, however the Under-18 Championships usually come after the TAC Cup so Lisle was probably a bit of a late bloomer.

I think Lisle's junior career suggests he would be far better suited as a SC scorer in defence but whether or not he plays there for Hawthorn remains to be seen, I think the Hawthorn coaching department may think his speed, agility and athleticism is not good enough for an AFL defender. In terms of what position he is likely to be for fantasy competitions I'd say DEF only, but there is also a possibility he could be any one of the following (from most likely to least likely) FWD, DEF/FWD and FWD/RUC.
    Last edited by Admin; 26th September 2010 at 06:23 PM.

Team
    NORTH MELBOURNE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Awards Fyfe Award - for outstanding contributions

Re: Jordan Lisle (DEF)

Yeah I will be keeping an eye on Lisle as I was keen on him this year but it was unknown weather he would get a game which he didn't. Correct me if I am wrong Stubz but was Lisle also used as a forward in the VFL couple of years ago? If so he could be handy as a forward aswell if moved into attack to help out Roughead and Buddy which could increase his scoring to some extent with his contested marking and his height.

Disabled
    Team
    HAWTHORN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Jordan Lisle (DEF)

Quote Originally Posted by Kangamagic View Post
    Yeah I will be keeping an eye on Lisle as I was keen on him this year but it was unknown weather he would get a game which he didn't. Correct me if I am wrong Stubz but was Lisle also used as a forward in the VFL couple of years ago? If so he could be handy as a forward aswell if moved into attack to help out Roughead and Buddy which could increase his scoring to some extent with his contested marking and his height.
    Lisle was has been used mostly in the forward line with occasional time in defence (2009) and ruck (2010) throughout his VFL career. In terms of Lisle's best fantasy scoring I see it as a defender but everything I have read about him from VFL reports and our recruiters/coaches/players suggest he is being groomed as a tall forward who can pinch hit in the ruck. Lisle's fantasy scoring was much better as a defender during his junior days and on top of this (which I don't have any stats ATM to back up) the fact KPD generally hit good SC scoring quicker then KPF.

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    674 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter Poster

Re: Jordan Lisle (DEF) - Hawthorn

If you sign Tarrant, you can cross this one off straight away.
    Never bet against Tom Rockliff

Team
    NORTH MELBOURNE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Lisle whats everyones thoughts on his game on the weekend, seem to do well with I thought if one of Buddy or Roughy gets injured he could step up to take a spot in the forward line.
    Matt Crouch is my boy for 2016 season, can he dominate 2016? time will tell....................

Team
    GEELONG
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I watched Lisle quite closely on the weekend and he moved very well in the forward line. He appears to have good footy smarts about him, knows the Hawks gameplan and times his leads well. That said, I just cannot see him cracking into the Hawks line-up given most of their stars were out on Sunday.

Like you said KM, if Buddy or Roughy go down with an LTI then he would be great downgrade target but until then he isn't in their best 22, unfortunately. If he isn't given opportunities this year, I wouldn't be surprised if he asked to be traded to try his luck elsewhere.
    Zach Tuohy my boy for 2017!

Team
    NORTH MELBOURNE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Narkee View Post
    I watched Lisle quite closely on the weekend and he moved very well in the forward line. He appears to have good footy smarts about him, knows the Hawks gameplan and times his leads well. That said, I just cannot see him cracking into the Hawks line-up given most of their stars were out on Sunday.

Like you said KM, if Buddy or Roughy go down with an LTI then he would be great downgrade target but until then he isn't in their best 22, unfortunately. If he isn't given opportunities this year, I wouldn't be surprised if he asked to be traded to try his luck elsewhere.
    He has been on my radar for over 12 months now but yeah could be a good downgrade option if one of Buddy or Roughy brake down, but Shoenmakers is expected to play more this year also.

Though I have sort of gone away from putting KP players in my side because I dont think they can score as well as other positioned rookies.
    Matt Crouch is my boy for 2016 season, can he dominate 2016? time will tell....................

Team
    HAWTHORN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I reckon either Roughead or Franklin would have to go down for him to get a gig. Would only be played forward and not back, and with Hale in the side too resting up forward I'd find it tough to find a spot for him.

There are much better options for your bench, much safer options at this stage
    Follow me on twitter @mitchsmediablog

FFC Football Operations Manager Hodges's Avatar
    Team
    HAWTHORN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would have to agree with that. If there is a LTI to Rough or Buddy (god forbid), then he would be the first guy called upon and would be a decent downgrade target. At this stage though, he isnt in our best 22 and is purely a depth player.
    Only ever talking SC