Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    590 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Off-Season Movement

Getting it up pre trade period and draft.

Fire clearance at the Crows, get in!!

2. Likes Athomas liked this post
    Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    924 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Re: Off-Season Movement

What on earth is going on at Adelaide?

Is this a flow on effect from the infamous preseason training camp that went horribly wrong?
    SC is FFC's number 1 fantasy game

4. Likes Athomas liked this post
    Team
    CARLTON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wasn't that keen on Jack Martin but his 5 Brownlow votes has encouraged me now

Am super keen for Papley though... Even if we have to give up Pick 8 (hopefully get Pick 30 back)

Also keen on Betts for what I assume is pretty much free at his age. We really need small forwards and as long as it's not costing us anything pick wise, good short term fix.
    AFL Twitter --------------------------- This post is SC related--------------------------Movie Twitter

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    590 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bunga View Post
    What on earth is going on at Adelaide?

Is this a flow on effect from the infamous preseason training camp that went horribly wrong?
    From what I've read (which is all hearsay), Pyke pretty much blamed the players for the 2017 GF loss which didn't sit well with them. You then have the pre-season camp which was obviously a disaster given it hung around for all of 2018 (got to the mid season point where they had to call a press conference) and even gets mentioned now. Campo has go to a higher level of overseeing the coaches and again, reports of him just being overly negative with all players which has rubbed them the wrong way. Looks like Pyke has tried to undo his wrongs but the bridge had already been burned for some and he was fighting a battle with one, maybe two arms tied behind his back with Campo making the bonds between players worse and Burton just being arrogant and clueless in his position as head of football...

Along with the Burton failings as head of football, we came into 2019 recovering from hamstring awareness where we'd had to hire Steve Sanders to oversee this (use this fancy hamstring machine we 1-2 years ago but had no idea how to operate it). I think in an attempt to avoid the hamstring injuries they've gone too far the other way and had an unfit list who just couldn't run out games this year along with just apply the pressure required for big chunks of the games compared to opposition teams. We were rolling in the mid part of 2019 but it seems like post bye, Pyke has come up with another game plan which was more possession football (which I personally don't think suits our list) which just didn't work, maybe the players just didn't buy into it like what was required.

I personally think Pyke was a bit hard done by, he had a terrible head of football and we didn't help him with the assistances we provided him with. Two from the Neil Craig days in Campo and Clarke - doesn't necessarily mean they're poor coaches, but the lack of them being poached from Adelaide when they've been there for 10+ odd years suggests they're probably not that great and being there for that long, probably have more power than they should. Hart was someone on a 1 year deal and when Francou left, we seemed to fail to find anyone else so we gave him another year deal to look after our forwards (which failed miserably after running a pretty poor backline the year before). He did however lose my with his team selections this year. It was pretty clear we were done in the second half of the year and at worst, just making up numbers if we ever got there but he stuck with bringing older guys in over those that were playing pretty good footy. Andy Otten shouldn't have come back into the team for the 1-2 games he played. O'Brien shouldn't have been dropped to play Jacobs. Douglas was brought back in and apparently told a month before the seasons end that we wouldn't be renewing his contract but he continued to play at the expense of younger guys. ****ed around with Fogarty for far too long and a few other really dumb decisions imo.

I think the players have to take their fair share of the blame here, leadership needed to get everyone together and on the same page which didn't happen. Doesn't seem like standards were driven and I think some of the senior players just expect to be playing regardless of form - Jenkins, Jacobs etc. I think Tex has been so poorly protected by this club with how he cops it from everywhere and without any protection ever from coaches/administration/board level and half of what he cops is for their own doing. But regardless, he struggled this year and looks to have rightfully taken a step back. For all the external shouting about how Sloane should have been the captain ahead of him, he hasn't done anything this year to really lead from in front imo, just been Tex that's copped it for all our failings while he's got away blame free. I'm still a big Sloane fan, just not sure he's really brought anything to the leadership that Tex wasn't already providing the year before and needs to rise the standards of those around him more.

I don't really know where I sit as a supporter in terms of whether I'm in the minority or the majority here but from my own POV, you've got supporters who have been pretty frustrated at the club for a good while now. Probably date it back to the Tippett saga where the chairman promised the truth to come out post this which didn't happen and none of the administration who made this stuff up (Trigg and I forget the other, maybe Reid (not the current one)) lose their job or anything for the draft picks they cost us. All we've received is constant arrogance from the club with no truth at all from them, basically treating their own members like outsiders. Chapman has been chair for the Tippett saga, under Sanderson who had his contract renewed and then sacked 12 months later which has pretty much happened all over again with Pyke (said in the press conference of Pyke stepping down that he believes we're in a great place whilst an external review is happening due to our failings) and a plenty more to list. He's currently in the process of 'stepping down' but insisting that he find his own replacement... just move on. Given how little success we've had under him, he shouldn't be the one to pick his own replacement. Guys like Ricciuto being dumb enough to say that if we don't agree with what Adelaide is doing, we should find another club to support (which was probably the tipping point to get this review under way). I'm not sure how I feel about Ricciuto, I feel like he's done alright with the last two coach selections he's been apart of in Walsh and Pyke yet I feel like he's the one that not only brought Burton in, but put him in such a high position. Fagan (CEO) promised the world in terms of the football department but hasn't delivered at all. I think he's at least trying but there's a lot of frustration there for mine with what's happened under his watch and he's also to blame for the amount of BS that comes out of this club in terms of what they try feed us.

-------------

In terms of players that have requested a trade:

Betts - He's said from the get go that he saw himself returning to Melbourne post his footy career and I think he is happy to get out of a team that's looking to rebuild where he mightn't be in the firsts and not exactly willing to play in the seconds. It's a shame as I think he's been huge from us both on the field but almost equally as much off the field in bringing many of the boys together (really looks after the Indigenous guys). He'll be 33 by the time next season starts and his best footy is behind him, I think he's got better footy in him than what he's shown this year (due to our game plan failures as all forwards have sucked).

Jenkins - Been on the outer all year. He actually played some good footy when returning from being dropped but the injury came at a bad time. I think he's been one that's leaked to the media a bit this year and hasn't helped his cause at the club. For how little he'll cost, don't think he'll be the worst pick for wherever he lands.

Jacobs - Has been cooked for a while now. It's been a blessing he got injured when he did as O'Brien wouldn't have otherwise been given a shot at this level. He's still alright but the wrong age bracket for where we're at as a club. Even though he moves like a dinosaur and can't jump, he'll be an upgrade on Mumford.

Keath - Time to get paid. He's come into the system very late, will be 28 next year so it's time to get the best deal possible. Think he's a pretty handy footballer (racked up x2 BOG in the brownlow which was impressive) and will be a bit of a loss really given how he looked early in the year before injuries hitting and missing a month of footy to finish off the season.

I expect Greenwood to do the exact same thing in terms of getting the best financial deal possible. Think he's been hard done this year with how little he played, his problem is he never gets a pre season so hasn't had a tank at AFL level. If he can, I expect he'll be a really good player for a few more years as he's a big bodied guy who does the hard stuff really well and can float forward to take those big marks.

CEY should be in the exact same bracket, he was huge for us to start the year before the '1 week' shin injury saw him miss every game after the bye. I think he's really underrated for what he does and would love to see him on another list where he's given a better shot then what we've provided him with (same bucket as Jarryd Lyons imo). Hoping we'll keep one of him or Greenwood but hope both get some attention from oppositions given how we've failed to really use them well. It is hard as well given our midfield is extremely one dimensional with Sloane/Crouch/Crouch/Greenwood/CEY all being insider mids with little pace (bar Brad Crouch) which hurts their defensive games in the centre circle.

So yeah, a lot of players leaving which sounds bad, but when you look at the context of each of them individually, I'm not so worried yet. Losing Brad Crouch would suck but I think his manager is just trying to get him the best $$$ possible and with how poor his body has been, I don't blame him. Kind of hope someone gets Tom Lynch from us actually. Still got a few more good years in him but think we could cash in for a decent return now before it's too late but given his name hasn't come up at all, I don't think that's going to happen.

TL;DR

We got Richmond'd.

7. Likes Crows88, Athomas, Bunga liked this post
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    590 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Athomas View Post

Also keen on Betts for what I assume is pretty much free at his age. We really need small forwards and as long as it's not costing us anything pick wise, good short term fix.
    Only thing I don't get with Betts for Carlton is he pretty much goes against what they're doing with their rebuild (and pushing out of Thomas). I think if he's happy to play in the seconds, or at least the understanding that he's not a lock for the spot in the firsts then he's a great pickup. Mainly for what he'll bring to the environment off the field and even after his football career is over, push him into a player development or welfare kind of role.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    590 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Also pretty interested to see what we'll do coaching wise. I must say I'm pretty intrigued by Ross Lyon. For the most part, his style of coaching has been pretty boring to watch (although recall 2010 St.Kilda as being pretty decent to watch) but he's got two clubs to 3 grand finals all up (or 4 including the draw I think). I think I like the idea of an experienced coach coming into our system given the issues we've had with the support cast around them. Think with Lyon you get someone who will know what he wants and push for the changes he wants compared to a raw coach who might be a little easier to influence. The concern is his ability to develop a list which is kind of where we're heading, would want to keep him away from the draft guys!

Lot of untried coaches and am pretty open to most of them, it's just the unknown which is a bit more of a concern for me with them. Keeping an open mind with whoever we go, will be stepping into a tough gig but I think we've got a few nice pieces with our list and hopefully won't take too long to turn it around.

10. Likes Athomas liked this post
    Team
    CARLTON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dylan123 View Post
    Only thing I don't get with Betts for Carlton is he pretty much goes against what they're doing with their rebuild (and pushing out of Thomas). I think if he's happy to play in the seconds, or at least the understanding that he's not a lock for the spot in the firsts then he's a great pickup. Mainly for what he'll bring to the environment off the field and even after his football career is over, push him into a player development or welfare kind of role.
    So I feel Thomas being pushed out is due to us having quite a few rebounding defenders (well, Newman and Doc, but they expect Williamson to step up too, not sure I agree with his injury worries, also have Stocker, potentially SPS in the backline, as well as Simmo for at least another year.) Also talk that him and Teague weren't quite on the same page.

And yeah it does sound like he will be there for a longer term role after playing.

That being said, he kicked more goals than any of our small forwards this year, so hopefully would be best 22 for at least one more year (if he's good for two years, that would be fantastic.)

I think if we don't get Papley, he's a lock. If we get Papley (and Jack Martin) then it's a bit more of a luxury, but I'd happily take all 3 for our weakest position on the ground by a mile (Papley/Betts in particular, Jack Martin not exactly a small forward)
    AFL Twitter --------------------------- This post is SC related--------------------------Movie Twitter

FFC Senior Assistant Coach hendo8888's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're keeping David Mackay. So does anything else really matter?
    This post was more than likely SC based.
    If in doubt, assume it was.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    590 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

CEY should be in the exact same bracket, he was huge for us to start the year before the '1 week' shin injury saw him miss every game after the bye. I think he's really underrated for what he does and would love to see him on another list where he's given a better shot then what we've provided him with (same bucket as Jarryd Lyons imo)
    ADELAIDE unrestricted free agent Cam Ellis-Yolmen will be the next Crow to fly the coop, when he accepts a four-year offer from Brisbane. AFL.com.au understands the 190cm midfielder's teammates have known for weeks about the length of his impending deal with the Lions.
    https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-09-...-longterm-deal

Great get by the Lions if true, can't get over how no one else has been willing to give him a look. 4 years is a huge length though, wouldn't have imaged that.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-09-...-longterm-deal

Great get by the Lions if true, can't get over how no one else has been willing to give him a look. 4 years is a huge length though, wouldn't have imaged that.
    Smart move, has always reminded me of Josh Kennedy when he was at the Hawks, clearly very good at one particular role but stuck behind 4 or 5 guys who are also pretty much only good at the role and ends up playing out of position and not looking as good as he otherwise is.

Brisbane can use a couple more big bodies in the middle as well so it's a pretty strong fit.

Contract also makes sense, if you rate him (and I do) then you're paying him a contract that will end up being unders once you put him in the right role and let him shine.

Betts also makes a lot of sense. I don't buy the getting rid of the old guys mantra as part of a rebuild, that was the stuff that got teams like Melbourne, Brisbane and a few others into the holes they're still getting out of over the last decade. Was also a reason the Suns were/are so bad, they never had any strong veteran leaders outside of Rischitelli I guess. Betts is clearly better than guys playing for the Blues right now, he's a well regarded person which over this length of time isn't a fluke. He makes them better on and off the field this year and probably next as well. If someone can come along and push him out of the side then that's a huge win for Carlton. Even down a bit on his best he's still better than most small forwards.

Kind of the same thing with people wanting to push Ablett into retirement, makes no sense to me, he's not what he was at his peak obviously, but he's still one of the best small forwards in the league as evidenced by his AA squad spot. If he's beating some kid out for a spot then that kid needs to work harder and improve which is a good thing for the club.

Meanwhile I don't understand what the Swans are doing this offseason... we seem so lost since Harley took over.

It's also really weird to me that Sydney and Adelaide are both bad clubs right now, for my entire adult life at least one of those two, and generally both, have been in the top couple of clubs for off field success, now you could make a case that only really the Suns are worse right now.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

15. Likes Athomas liked this post
    Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    337 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Patton has requested a trade to Hawthorn and his manager says a 3rd round pick would be enough.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    Patton has requested a trade to Hawthorn and his manager says a 3rd round pick would be enough.
    Hawks going all in on their incredible medical staff basically. They just keep buying all the broken guys and then fixing them.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    337 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Brandon Ellis will go to GC as a FA and reports from The Age that Tim Kelly has requested a trade to West Coast. Neither are particularly surprising.

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    337 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wogitalia View Post
    Hawks going all in on their incredible medical staff basically. They just keep buying all the broken guys and then fixing them.
    It's a huge POD for the Hawks, along with their generally excellent record with indigenous players. Allows them to attract these players for less, both in terms of contract and in the case of injury affected players, their trade cost.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    590 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm hoping Adelaide will throw their hat into the ring for the services of Fantasia. Guess it depends how much Essendon want in return as to whether it's 'worth' it but would be pretty handy with Betts on his way out. We do have a couple of small forwards that are ready for a shot but it would just bring more competition if anything for those positions.