Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Team Stats

Eight rounds down so we now have a reasonable sample size.

Thought I'd compare team stats for the first eights rounds of 2019 v 2018 (including finals). Numbers extracted from FootyWire.

Tables are ranked by average SC points per round.

I've also added some further stuff.

The differential column shows the team average v 1650, which is half the 3300sc allocated to each game. The interesting point here is over the first 8 rounds of 2019 there are only 7 teams (Coll, Geel, GWS, Port, Adel, WB and Bris) beating 1650 and 11 under. By comparison, over the whole of 2018 the majority of sides were over the average but those that were under were way under. What this says is in 2019 the poor sides have improved and there are not as many points to be made against the poorer sides (GC -93 v -165). On the flip side, those that are are doing well, are doing better this year (Coll +114 v +82)

The SC/DT column shows the SC/DT ratio and is generally an indicator of effectiveness. 2018 shows Richmond dominating this stat. The leaders in 2019 so far are GWS, St.K and Bris.

The score column is the average score kicked per round. The average across the competition in 2018 was 82.7 (83.5 excluding finals). So far this year it's 80.8. New rules going well so far, Gil!

The last column is kinda quirky. It's the SC points achieved per disposal. I'm not entirely sure what I'm hoping this demonstrates other than some form of efficiency. The Eagles lead this in 2018 and are again up there with the Cats and Giants this year.

In terms of the highest SC and total disposals, Collingwood is still leading the way. Get on board.

The Eagles are really interesting. In 2018, they were ranked 1st for kicks and marks and 18th for handballs. Whilst not quite at those extremes in 2019, the trend has definitely continued. On the flip side, North is handball happy this year, leading the comp by a fair margin. They are also 18th for tackles. Make of that what you will.

Melbourne has had the biggest fall from grace. They've gone from 2nd to 15th on SC, 4th to 16th on disposals and have gone from the highest scoring team in 2018 to 17th this year. Interestingly, they are currently ranked 1st for tackles in 2019. Now there's a team that can't get the ball! They're also leading the clanger count. Ouch!

The I50 gong goes to Port after Melb and Rich lead this stat in 2018. Melb are still ranked 3rd in 2019 so clearly they have some big problems at the moment. The Eagles are currently last

Sydney continues to reign supreme on R50. I thought this may be a factor of how bad their midfield is but it is also likely to be a product of fact they play on a home ground not much bigger than a tennis court. In any case, in my view it's a bit of a meaningless stat. The better measure of a team's defence is the ratio of R50s to I50s conceded. Unfortunately, we don't have that here.

Port are also leading the clearance contest with the Tigers last. The interesting thing here is Collingwood are relatively low and there is little correlation between clearance numbers and SC. Again and surprisingly, the Demons are ranked second.

Finally, as expected the HO kings are Collingwood, Melb and Port but the big surprise is GC is ranked first with 54. Witts' SC hasn't been spectacular so I can only assume he's been tapping to his hearts content without achieving much else. What it does show is ruckmen coming up against Witts will need to find other ways to score points. This was certainly borne out on the weekend with Gawn on 80 late in the 4th. He had a massive last 5 mins and got bumped to 109 but it is something to note.

Anyway, there it is. I'm sure there's much more we can glean from this from both a football and fantasy perspective.

My parting observation is this - at some stage during nearly every game I go to, I hear someone yell out "For God's sake, kick the bloody thing!" (or words to that effect). Maybe they're onto something.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Wheedus; 18th May 2019 at 07:40 AM.
    Proud coach of Big Jenny Talia FFC
    SC 2013 - 11th
    SC 2014
    - 16th
    SC 2015 and beyond - foetal position

"Yonnies in the wind, we're ruggin' up for winter"

2. Likes Crow-mo, Wogitalia, Notorious_29, Bunga, Hodges liked this post
    Team
    GEELONG
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Re: Team Stats

Outstanding post mate!!
    Zach Tuohy my boy for 2017!

4. Likes Wheedus liked this post
    Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As it turns out, Footywire also provides team stats by opposition so some further analysis can be done.

These tables show defensive and forward effectiveness by comparing I50s v R50s.

In the case of defence, it's the average opposition I50s v the team's R50s.

For the forwards, it's the average team I50s v opposition R50s.

The result is expressed as a number and a percentage. In my earlier post, I was proposing to sort by % but I reckon the number is the more important stat. My initial thought was the number should equal goals scored (given the only way a ball comes out is via a R50 or a goal being scored). It's possibly a case of not counting teams kicking back into their own 50 or just some miscounting. Either way, it's pretty close so the correlation is there.

So what can we say?

Defence

The Cats are leading the way on differential at 10.1 and, whilst Collingwood is also up there, the reason for their low number is different. The Pies are allowing the least I50s so far this year but they are ranked 17th for R50s. To me, this suggests Collingwood are defending higher up the ground. This is not to say that the defenders aren't doing the defending, they're probably just pushing up the ground a lot more. The shape of the MCG compared to GMHBA may have something to do with it. It does suggest a possible explanation for Jeremy Howe's poorer average this year.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, Sydney has the most R50s but is also allowing the most I50s. So in terms of the differential, they're ranked 14th. It's also a big fall from grace for Sydney from 2018 where they were ranked 1st across the season. However, it's not necessarily a bad thing for Lloyd because for him, the more opposition I50s the better.

The Kangaroos are just a basket case.

Forwards

Again, Geelong is leading the way and by a bit of a margin, mainly on the back of being ranked 3rd for Opp R50. Port top I50s but is ranked 16th for Opp R50. Melbourne and the Bulldogs have a similar pattern but are ranked further down on differential. The Suns bring up the rear.

The Demons have had the biggest fall from grace. In 2018 they were ranked 1st with an impressive differential of 19.6. They are now 17th on the back of the worst Opp R50 number.

Across all clubs, there's not a big spread on the differential number. The disparity was bigger in 2018, which suggests the ball is pinging out a lot more in 2019. This is confirmed by the league average with R50s sitting at 40.1 compared to 36.9 in 2018, while the I50 average is almost the same at 52.9 v 52.7.

So basically, the defenders are doing their job better so far. Perhaps the new kick in rules are assisting.

The impact on fantasy scores is questionable. Sydney's fall this year has not really impacted Lloyd and it stands to reason. He just needs the ball in there as much as possible. So maybe the most important stat from a fantasy perspective is Opp I50s.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Wheedus; 16th May 2019 at 06:32 PM.
    SC 2013 - 11th
    SC 2014
    - 16th

FFC Football Operations Manager Nothing's Avatar
    Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    345 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great work. It's possibly just my end but I can't see either of those images (multiple devices).

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nothing View Post
    Great work. It's possibly just my end but I can't see either of those images (multiple devices).
    Yeah, not sure what's going on there. I was having the same trouble viewing on the phone last night. I'll try to re-save and upload in a different format.
    SC 2013 - 11th
    SC 2014
    - 16th

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK. I've updated both posts and it looks like the tables are now visible on devices.
    SC 2013 - 11th
    SC 2014
    - 16th

9. Likes Nothing, Athomas liked this post
    Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Great work mate.

Sydney stuff makes sense, it's literally our gameplan to concede I50 to the opponent and then rebound, we set up at stoppages to effectively lose them but to lose them messy, if that makes sense.

Melbourne forward pressure has been pretty ordinary in the games I've seen. Makes sense with them losing Kent and then the difference between Hogan, who is pretty good at that, and Weideman, who is not. Throw in playing a 2nd ruck a few times and a couple of other potatoes and it just makes sense. They basically have guys who struggle to mark it and then are worse when it hits the ground. Melksham has been their best so it's probably only getting worse.

Geelong went down the opposite path this year, they brought in a horde of tackle first players to try and retain the ball I50 and got rid of a couple that are bad. They're effectively playing Rohan as a KPF and while you can knock him for most other things his pressure work has always been elite. Dahlhaus, Atkins and Miers also fit this style.

Collingwood I reckon the I50 defensively is probably as much a result of the best midfield in the comp as anything which means they start at the right end and then defend higher as a result as you indicated.

Cool breakdown either way
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!