SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    896 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Bye Discussion 2019

Figured it would be a good idea to get this going now as people are getting a lot closer to finalising teams and I've personally started to look at this and notice a few issues that keep popping up.

First off the byes for reference:

Round 12 - Essendon, Fremantle, Hawthorn, Port Adelaide, St Kilda and Western Bulldogs.
    Round 13 - Brisbane, Collingwood, Geelong, Melbourne, Sydney and West Coast.
    Round 14 - Adelaide, Carlton, Gold Coast, GWS, North Melbourne and Richmond.

My quick thoughts...

Round 12 - Not a lot of issues here, forwards the only area that I think people are likely to overload at the start. Backs seem weak but with a lot of types who could be bargains but Sicily probably the only real starting choice so should be a space for that anyway.

Round 13 - First obvious one is the rucks. Next standout to me is the forwards where Kelly, Danger, Heeney and Darling are all very popular choices. Menegola isn't popular but he's a pretty proven option and if Hawkins backs up then he's also a premium. Few other guys floating around. Backs I'm not noticing a lot of overload but with Lloyd, Hurn, Crisp, Howe, Andrews and a few other potentials it is worth watching. Not a lot starting Lloyd but I imagine most are targeting as an upgrade so is a factor. Mids are interesting here, the Oliver and Brayshaw pair are obvious but you've also got Yeo, Shuey, Gaff, Sheed, Pendles, Beams, Sidey, Neale, Selwood and Parker that could be options, that said, not seeing more than 2 here in many teams so not a huge factor.

Round 14 - This is the biggest issue, last bye makes easiest to plan around but the backs are a genuine issue. Laird, Smith, Whitfield, Williams, Simpson, Milera, Short and a few others are all very much in play as options. Throw in Newman, Rance and Houli as well. Sneakily the mids are also an option here with the 3 Crows, Martin, Cripps, Coniglio, Kelly and Higgins all being relevant in my eyes among others. Most have Cripps and at least one of Coniglio, Crouch or Sloane in the mix it could get messy fast. The positive is you can bail out if you have to but that's not ideal.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

2. Likes Athomas, Notorious_29 liked this post
    Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    322 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Bye Discussion 2019

I've probably paid a little less attention to the byes this year. Most of my team iterations are very 13 / 14 heavy with 3/6/5 or 3/6/6 for non-rookies which is not ideal but better than it being weighted the other way. Taking more WB/Port players certainly balances it out and there are a couple of iterations where I get 4/5/6 which is pretty much ideal. The downside is you tend to end up compromising the team for the sake of bye balance.

The now later timing of the byes and having no "China bye" this year means we'll be well into upgrades by the time we get there so that presents an inherent problem as Wogi points out. That is exacerbated by the fact that upgrade options from the Rd 12 teams (to bring in in Rd 13) are thin on the ground. DEF - Sicily is about it. MID - Macrae and Fyfe (if you're not starting them) and Bont. FWD - Hoff, DSmith, Breust, Gray, Dunkley and McLean. Given the popularity of the so-called "obvious" picks, I suspect most are facing a similar problem. At least Sam Walsh will hopefully take us through to Rd 14!
    Proud coach of Big Jenny Talia FFC
    SC 2013 - 11th
    SC 2014
    - 16th
    SC 2015 and beyond - foetal position

"Yonnies in the wind, we're ruggin' up for winter"

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    589 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Feel the later byes will mostly be loaded up in and the ones I don't have also just double down in the byes I don't really want but I'd rather pick a side I'm happy with based on what I think they'll score and deal with the byes when they come closer.

Team
    CARLTON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wheedus View Post
    At least Sam Walsh will hopefully take us through to Rd 14!
    Hey, Sam Walsh is a keeper all year!!

Quote Originally Posted by dylan123 View Post
    Feel the later byes will mostly be loaded up in and the ones I don't have also just double down in the byes I don't really want but I'd rather pick a side I'm happy with based on what I think they'll score and deal with the byes when they come closer.
    This year I haven't really looked at byes, mostly as I know I'm not overloaded on Round 12 bye players, so will just make sure I am trading with the focus of byes.

Does make it interesting to avoid any Round 12 bye players you are iffy on, with the idea to upgrade to them after. Merrett, Fyfe, Sicily, Boak, Gray, Steele, Savage, Macrae, Bont, Dunkley probably the ones. I can see myself trading in Savage/Dunkley after Round 12 bye etc.
    AFL Twitter --------------------------- This post is SC related--------------------------Movie Twitter

6. Likes Crows88 liked this post