Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Re: JLT Series 2019

Fremantle vs Collingwood

General - Interesting game, had a 4-5 goal breeze for basically the whole game which strongly influenced the styles of the teams by quarters. This game actually felt like the most showy as far as how teams will play the new rules and the like, Freo basically ran out of puff in the 4th and fell asleep for 10 minutes after half time but were probably better outside of that.

Rules - For the first times teams got creative on this a little at least, kick-ins were same old, vanilla with mostly closest decent kick scenario. Both teams had wings start on back corners without the wind to go straight to an extra man behind the ball, both teams cocked the rule up a few times as well but they were clearly playing with it, were a couple of times that the Pies charged off the back which given how long the field was was surprising after other teams didn't do it. There was certainly a less clean feel out of the middle which given Grundy's ruck dominance and the quality of clearance midfielders was probably a strong support of two teams practising how to congest and slow clearances which was how it felt to me.

Fremantle - Played Tucker as a tagger, Beams first half and Sidey the 2nd half, tight tag, first half it clearly impacted the cleanness at stoppages that we've seen in other games, 2nd half less impact but that feel didn't change so interesting side note. They played very long, even into the wind, which given the size of the team they picked I guess makes sense. Cox was really the only KPF who showed up so that made it a kind of counter-productive strategy but given their general skill level it probably makes more sense. Strong side outside of Fyfe and their ruckmen from what I could tell so good indicators, imo.

Tucker - As mentioned, was tagging. Looks a clearly defined role for him, makes sense as a guy who tracks the ball well but butchers it. 13 tackles a direct correlation for mine.

Hill - Stock standard role for him. Looks fit which is a good sign for Freo.

Lobb - Rucked the whole game basically, wasn't particularly good but wasn't bad, wouldn't think he does it if either Darcy or Sandi are fit and you could certainly make a case for him playing forward (especially if they're going to long bomb) and Jones rucking as Jones was better as a pure ruckman to my eyes. Either way, reckon this score is your textbook red herring role that isn't likely. Having said that, if injuries persist and he does ruck, he'd be an option.

Brayshaw - Seemed to build as the game went on, role was solid. Doesn't look quite set to go boom yet but could be a sneaky draft depth guy.

Walters - Hard role to track, certainly had a few CBA and was certainly forward at times, I'd hazard he was mostly in a high HF role with some midfield stints basically. Looks basically the same as he has the last few years. Durability remains the issue for mine.

Ryan - Same old for him as well.

Cox - The pick of the forwards but he ran out of steam hard. Given you'd think Hogan is a lock (despite performance in this one) and Lobb is also a lock, then Cox is either battling Taberner for one spot or they're going really tall.

Pearce - Was really impressive, imagine his SC was much higher?

Mundy - Played a really solid game, great role. Scoring not great given TOG but another I imagine the SC was better also.

Bewley - Did some nice things but I really struggled to spot him often or define his role, took me a while to work out who he was honestly but looks to use it pretty well which does help in the Freo side where that's a rarity.

Cerra - Seemed to play off HB to me, suits his skills and probably a good sign for anyone looking at Mundy and Walters that one of the kids has a clearer role not in the guts for extra midfield time.

Hogan - Was really bad. He looked like he'd never played in windy conditions before, basically was either short or ran under every marking contest. Hopefully better for the run.

Pies - Missing a fair few guys but still had a strong side, what does become hard is sorting who gets pushed around by the guys coming back. Treloar and Adams slot into the midfield somewhere, De Goey and Cox moves the forwards, Howe moves the backs and then there are a few other guys as well like Maynard, WHE, Mayne, Dunn, Scharenberg, et al who could take spots.

Pendles - Really solid game. Stock standard for him. Reckon he enjoyed a bit more midifield time and targeting with Beams tagged and the other bulls out.

Sidey - Looks fit, role the same. Probably going under the radar.

Phillips - I honestly checked if he was playing when writing the above list of names out... he's such an invisible accumulator it's so impressive, like he's taken what Duncan always does at Geelong to another level.

Grundy - Little underwhelming given the competition but it is preseason and he wasn't exactly pushing himself. The concern is whether that was him dialing it back or because he was saving as much energy as he could because of the injuries hurting fitness. Still, if that's an underdone performance then I guess he's still primed right?

Beams - Solid outing with a tag for the first half which was most of his minutes. Looks good.

Thomas - Rock solid, too many cooks for mine down forward for them but carrying over last year by the looks.

Crisp - Scored well, Dockers wasteful long bombing sure didn't hurt his opportunities.

Elliott - Actually looks fit and played well. Same as Thomas where there are too many names and he's probably about 70k too much for his scoring history and durability risk but wouldn't surprise me if he was a decent pick still and he does offer a bailout for other speculative picks like Greene for example.

Moore - Was solid but unspectacular. Freo very tall so probably a somewhat unusual level of accountability required here but did take some kick-ins (noticed 2, could be more) and I imagine against some sides he will be the intercept marker, he's certainly in the mix as a starting pick, probably not worth the premium on this game given his durability is basically a trump card to his likely JS but I do think he's got 100+ games in him in that role so certainly in play, especially with the DPP and even more so if Burgess can fill the other half of that and make it truly valuable.

Quaynor - Looks AFL ready, did a good job defensively, one mental error where he got caught ball watching cost him a goal but otherwise held Ballantyne well. Needs to get a bit more composure and lower his eyes but fundamentally his kicking looks good so that's just an experience issue. Looks a good chance at early games.

Wills - Also was really solid and put his hand up for some games at least with this outing. Did a bit of everything which is nice as a fringe guy. Given the price premium probably not relevant barring disaster in the mid rookie stocks but worth at least watching in JLT2. Really good size about him.

Murphy - Probably the same story as Wills, the price premium probably rules him out unless desperation kicks in but love the way he attacks the pill. Disposal a bit of a question but he's the kind of guy coaches love with his attack so also a chance at early games and worth watching.

T. Brown - Bit bigger than his brother and probably big enough to play but looks a bit off the pace still, reckon he's one to remember for a year or two and hope he doesn't get his price ruining in between now and then
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

2. Likes Hodges liked this post
    Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    Final changes for JLT teams other than Monday's game

GWS v Ade

In: T.Greene, A.Tomlinson
    Out: Z.Williams (managed), C.Ward (injured)

In: D.Talia, B.Gibbs
    Out: M.Poholke, A.Otten

Port V Nth

No change

In: S.Thompson, S.Wright, N.Hrovat
    Out: J.Macmillan (injured), T.Goldstein, T.Murphy

Melb v Bris

In: S.May, M.Hibberd, J.Lewis, N.Jetta, M.Gawn, A.vandenBerg
    Out: J.Garlett (injured), J.Jordon, J.Wagner, B.Preuss, C.Maynard, T.Sparrow

In: B.Keays, A.Christensen, S.Martin, T.Berry
    Out: D.Zorko (injured), E.Smith, C.Ballenden, B.Starcevich

Haw v Rich

In: J.Frawley, B.Stratton, B.Hardwick, R.Henderson, I.Smith, P.Puopolo, L.Breust, J.Roughead, S.Burgoyne, B.McEvoy, J.O'Meara, L.Shiels
    Out: T.Mohr, C.Glass, M.Pittonet, H.Jones, D.Greaves, M.Walker, J.Ross, W.Golds, C.Jiath, T.Miles

In: K.McIntosh, C.Menadue
    Out: B.Ellis, R.Collier-Dawkins

Syd v GC

In: J.McVeigh, H.Grundy, Z.Jones
    Out: O.Florent (injured), J.Rowbottom, T.Pink

In: P.Hanley, J.Hombsch, S.Day, J.Dawson
    Out: R.Thompson (Injured), J.Murdoch (Injured), G.Horlin-Smith (ankle), S.Lemmens (ankle)

WB v Stk

In: J.Schache, F.Greene, La. Young
    Out: P.Lipinski

In: R.Marshall, B.Long
    Out: L.Pierce, B.Paton

Freo v WCE

In: S.Darcy, R.Conca, L.Schultz
    Out: S.Switkowski (hamstring), G.Logue (hamstring), B.Bewley

No change

All teams have named 26 players this week.
    Any word on the Zorko injury?

Pierce now needs Marshall to not take the ruck job essentially which isn't ideal. Marshall as a non-ruck is the worst result of the 3 names vying for it for fantasy purposes, even Lower at least has upside at the low price.

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    334 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Knee soreness for Zorko, no idea how big an impact it will have.

As for SC from Fre v Col

Pearce - 63dt 83sc
    Mundy - 62dt 81sc

5. Likes Wogitalia liked this post
    FFC Football Operations Manager Hodges's Avatar
    Team
    HAWTHORN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bewley and Pierce out. Cross those two off the list then.

Where did you get those SC scores from Divvy? Pretty keen to see a few players from that game tbh.
    Only ever talking SC

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    334 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodges View Post

Where did you get those SC scores from Divvy? Pretty keen to see a few players from that game tbh.
    http://supercoachtalk.com/jlt-stats-week-one/

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Hodges View Post

Pierce was concussed last week, always unlikely to play.

He'd still be the best option right now if he was named one out for round 1 though.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Richmond vs Melbourne

General - Probably the highest standard of game for the week which isn't surprising given it's probably the only one featuring two likely top 4 sides that didn't have to travel too far. Both teams actually scored very high given that the defensive structures were mostly sound. Strong teams for both sides, not the strongest but enough to get pretty good indicators.

Rules - Nothing much here, very vanilla from both teams from what I could tell, kick-in rule didn't seem to have any real impact at all and 666 didn't do much more.

Richmond - They'd be pretty happy I reckon, Melbourne had a lot of forward thrusts intercepted and the rebound was mostly smooth. Experimental through the middle which makes it hard to gauge where things were at and what is a genuine experiment and what was a sign of the real stuff.

Houli - Looks promising, fit and found a ton of it. I haven't seen him in a single side but he's cheaper than Williams and considerably more proven though admittedly not the same upside. Took his share of kick-ins but they were yet another side with no focus on who took it.

Balta - Experiment one, really hard to read this. Was he playing as the 2nd ruck because that's going to be his genuine role or was it to enable other experiments (to come) and a sign he's expendable. He looks AFL ready and is a lively type who did himself no harm whatsoever. Obviously trappy with Lynch back at anytime but he looked more than mobile enough to play as the 3rd tall (especially given Lynch and Riewoldt's mobility also) and he was genuinely solid as the backup ruckman, with Grigg out early they do need a 2nd ruck and I daresay they'd hate Lynch or Riewoldt being in there. Has to be a real chance and can score as he does a bit of everything.

Broad/Grimes/Rance/Astbury - All just taking turns intercepting basically. Rance's score was incredible in SC but reckon they'll all be similar to last year where basically the nullify and the best positioned becomes the 3rd man as opposed to the couple of years prior when Rance was always in that role if they could work it. Basically reckon Rance stays below 90 I guess but he does look fitter than last year and is worth watching.

Weller/Higgins/Butler/Rioli/Lambert/Edwards - Same old for them as well, basically all rotating through the small forward spots with some bursts on the ball, basically will all steal the points. No one really doing anything to say they will average elite numbers as long as this level of logjam exists.

Martin - Had a knee scare which I haven't heard mentioned, looked like the kind that just kind of limits you for the season. Barely went on ball after that point but see he's named this week so obviously no concerns. He plays through things but they do impact his scoring. Role wise it was more like last year even before the injury scare with too much time forward where there are too many variables for a midfielder premium. He also honestly doesn't look to be in the same kind of shape as he was in 2017 where he was just obviously fitter than he's ever been. Just looks standard "had a preseason" fit for him but not the beastmode level.

Ellis - Seemed to play off HB mostly to me, didn't notice a genuine midfield role, may have had time on the wing also but nothing to support significant scoring change, imo.

Ross - Didn't really notice him a lot but scored well which is a nice sign. Talk was his disposal is supposed to be a strength but he was a bit slow with it the times I noticed so didn't actually see it in action. Decent size and should push for games though.

Nankervis - Experiment two, played almost the entire game as a FF, even the majority of his hitouts would be in the F50 I imagine. Now I don't know if this is the plan, he was obviously decent as a forward and always has been, and we're getting a sample of it, an experiment or they just wanted to keep the structures in place and Lynch isn't available so they used Nank who otherwise would have rested but it's obviously something to watch for. Kills him as a ruck option if it is a genuine change (also would kill Balta as a rookie option I daresay). To be clear, he wasn't playing as the 2nd ruck, that was Balta, he only rucked on F50 and I believe late in the game when things went a bit wild west, this part is what really confused me but I guess they know what he can give as a ruck so wanted to see him as a forward and perhaps wanted to see the reverse from Balta.

Prestia/Cotchin - Same old for them. Both look good draft midfield picks but don't see any real cause to think they'll move up the ranks in the real stuff.

Markov - Had a pretty clear rebounding HB role and looked good taking the game on. McIntosh the only guy off the top of my head that plays similarly that was missing for mine, and they were talking up his preseason. Certainly cheap enough with that role in this team to be a starting pick if he does make it in round 1 without an obvious quick out waiting in the wings. He looked good for the most part and I loved his desire to break lines.

Soldo - Started as the #1 ruck and, imo, took the honours pretty comfortably from Preuss. He actually looked pretty good. There was a real gut feeling to me that they like him as their #1 ruck, everything else they were doing kind of supports that idea to me and that they're going to try and go for the two rucks after that was probably the area that was exposed for them last year. Soldo clearly can't play forward and while I think Nank is a better around the ground player his ruckwork isn't ideal most of the time. Would come down to whether Nank can give enough as a forward and Soldo provides at least a breakeven as the #1 ruck for whether it could continue. The worst part though is even if he did get the #1 role, he's too expensive to actually provide a solution to the ruck conundrum anyway

Collier-Dawkins - Barely noticed him and dropped this week so imagine he's not in the mix anyway. To his defense he scored well given his TOG.

Melbourne - Decent but not full strength side, obviously with no Gawn, but they had pretty well defined structures and roles and I don't think anyone missing is going to change that, Gawn will make them much stronger in the middle, May makes them better down back, Lever provides more intercept but weaker defender, Hibberd better rebound and so on but not going to change the structure. Just need to be aware that guys in good roles mentioned here may not be best 22 even if they did well because they have about 8 guys out.

Brayshaw - Started just how he finished last year. Just everywhere, was hurt by the lack of Gawn as didn't get the breaking clearances he allowed him last year but still got plenty at the end of the day. If he's getting a ticket it hasn't started yet, The 7 clangers seemed harsh and the ratio seemed harsh (at least no bias this time from having him!) but that was a constant last year so might just be that CD don't like him at this point and are going to really make him earn a ticket. I dare say that 5 of his clangers must go down as 39m kicks where they decided not to round up and make them a long kick (or whatever the distance is!) as apart from a couple of handballs I didn't notice any other glaring errors. Just weird for that K:H ratio at that DE% to be so incredibly negative, especially given he was involved in several of their goals. Still, I reckon I'm taking him in DT and honestly still tempted in SC. He isn't getting tagged and the way he finished last year was incredible. Certainly a guy to reach for in draft leagues as he's a really strong chance to be a 120/110 guy without really doing much and I do think he's one of the few guys with genuine 130+ potential in DT which means he can do the same in SC just dragging the ratio kicking and screaming along for the ride. Remember that last season was on the back of a less than ideal start to the season.

Oliver - Stud. Showed no ill-effects from his preseason. I think I still prefer the others for value, I think Brayshaw and Viney do put a bit more of a cap on his potential and think he's more in the "fairly priced" range but feel safe that he'll be somewhere around 115 and I can buy anyone selling me something higher.

Salem - Every year I say this and every year he fails but he just looks like the kind of player that's going to be a premium one day... Haven't heard anything this preseason which is a good sign as it kind of means that doing a preseason has become normal and the compound effects start to kick in. Looked fit, found plenty of it, used it well. Seemed to start on the ball before floating to the back half later in the game, will probably do both this year but they've got so many HB types now and could use some more class going forward so midfield does make sense but that has also been where he has struggled a bit more to impact games so it's an all over the shop opinion. He's certainly on the list of defenders who could average 100 this year, imo, and wouldn't shock me one bit if he did but realistically I think he's a guy who is much more in play if you believe the premium level will come backwards as I think mid 90s is a more realistic expectation (probably low mids so 93ish).

Fritsch - Decent draft option, imo. Played a bit of everywhere from what I could tell as well, figure the swingman thing continues, don't think he's needed down back as much with May down there and especially now with Garlett out a while.

Harmes - Same kind of role he finished the year with, think he'll continue as a tagger that wins a lot of ball. Shame he's a mid only this year.

Petracca - Looks big but not in a bad way. I can't say I'm not tempted as I buy the talent here big time. Honestly think he almost has to play as a KPF this year to allow Weideman to be the 2nd ruck and I think he's a nightmare matchup in that scenario and can score really well, basically play Hogan's role from last year. Still some midfield minutes to be had but reckon that dream is almost passing him by at this point. Nothing I saw in this game really diminished my belief he can be a 100 point forward but I can say nothing really demanded to pick him either or that it was going to be this year for sure, if that makes sense. One I'm happy to upgrade into rather than start.

Preuss - He's not very good, maybe he really does just want to not play at AFL level because he's not good enough and that's why he keeps hiding behind the top rucks? He wasn't impressive at all and given he's probably worse as a forward than a ruck I just can't see how they can play him and Gawn. The concern of course being if they rest Gawn entirely but worry about that when it happens I guess. Either way he did nothing to put Gawn under pressure or make the idea of two rucks seem good, if anything Weideman was their best ruck anyway. That he really struggled to even make it to all the contests was probably the most damning part of his game, one ruck contest he led to the left, they kicked right and he couldn't get there for a boundary throw in leaving them without a ruck.

Weideman - Solid game, was decent in the ruck when called upon and that looks the better solution to me right now. McDonald also decent in the ruck.

McDonald - Was solid. Didn't look like there was any real reason to suggest he wouldn't continue on from last year.

Hore - Buyer beware given the names out but he was good and entrusted with kick-ins which is a solid thing. Took a few nice marks, basically he's a less springy version of Fritsch which pretty much enables them to use Fritsch up forward and still have the same net result. I reckon he'll play even with Hibberd and Lewis back but probably does need Salem to stay midfield full time and he's certainly in a bit of a battle with Hunt and the Wagners for probably one spot.

Corey Wagner - If he did win that spot, he'd be in the discussion. He's a decent player so it's a chance. Base priced defender. Seeing as how he was dropped for the 2nd game, probably not the best sign

Petty/Keilty - Young KPD types, they'll go straight out for May I imagine but they both have some tools.

Jordon - Pretty sure it was him that hit an absolute laser beam of a left foot, struggled to notice him otherwise but that was the kind of kick that a dozen players in the league can make so obviously worth noting about him. Also dropped so probably going to have to work on some things but wouldn't be surprised if he pops up in the future (probably not this year).

Garlett - Popped a shoulder and expected to be out for a while from what I read earlier this week. Don't think it really creates an opening as it would be a specialist role but it's one extra spot for someone at the end of the day.

10. Likes Hodges, divvydan liked this post
    Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    334 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Wondering if the introduction of the 6-6-6 rule might allow centre square mids to have a higher disposal % effectiveness and thus higher sc scores without any extra effort this season. Maybe not at the SCG where the 50m basically meets the centre square, but at other grounds there should be an extra couple of seconds of time and an extra 5-10m of space for them to dispose of the ball.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    Wondering if the introduction of the 6-6-6 rule might allow centre square mids to have a higher disposal % effectiveness and thus higher sc scores without any extra effort this season. Maybe not at the SCG where the 50m basically meets the centre square, but at other grounds there should be an extra couple of seconds of time and an extra 5-10m of space for them to dispose of the ball.
    My initial feel is that they should.

I'd love to know how the repeat stoppages numbers have been so far, feel lower in some of the games but the better games haven't felt very different.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

GWS vs Adelaide

General - Really solid game, easily the best quality game so far with some actual physicality and defensive structures being applied by both sides. Weird game where Adelaide were on top but they were more on top of the scoreboard than the game as the Giants blew a lot of easy chances in the middle of the game when things were still kind of competitive. Crows had a just about best 22 for mine, Giants missing about a third of their best 22 which makes them harder to judge. Crows certainly took the foot off the throat midway through the third and both teams basically went into "no injuries guys" mode.

Rules - Once again, nothing notable. Sharing of kick-ins continued, Shaw and Smith both were the clear favourites but plenty of others took kick-ins when they weren't close or just because they got it first. Was interesting at HT they had Cameron talking to Cumming and making it clear they have 3 or 4 guys allowed to take kick-ins and that it's "back yourself if you're closest" rules. Pretty obvious it's Williams and Shaw first and then the others though.

GWS - Missing a lot of players, still gave a good showing. They just lacked speed and class transitioning the ball which given the names out isn't a surprise at all, I reckon they'd be pretty happy with the hitout overall given the variance between team strengths. No one missing to me would change their structures which is an important factor, just means the names here get pushed down or off the pecking order.

Coniglio - Rock solid again, looks to be in ripping shape. I'll be honest, he's giving off the Tom Mitchell vibe to me where he just feels like he's showing his next level and is going to hit it. It's weird because he's one of those players that I "rate" and yet I don't, if that makes sense but he's really screaming fantasy gold, for mine all that Kelly really does is take away defensive attention from him but he just looks primed for a huge year. I like him more in DT as he's just slightly better in that format but I think he's a solid 1:1 guy who could easily get a golden ticket and fix that as he doesn't do anything fundamentally wrong for SC to me.

Whitfield - Try and work out what position he played tonight because I couldn't tell you. He had several CBA, he was on a wing, he was in a back pocket, he was in a forward pocket, he was on the HBF then the HFF. Basically he's one of their few huge metre gain players and he seems to have creative license to position himself where ever he wants. Basically he didn't even really feel that involved or that good tonight and there he is with 100. He basically did what I expect, my biggest worry is probably defensive attention and what it could do to him but if he's going to add centre bounce work that diminishes a bit. An underwhelming tick basically.

Taranto - He finished really strong, 81 of his DT in the 2nd half and I reckon most of it came in the aforementioned "no injury time". Take that how you will I guess but he remains the midfielder who probably steps into Shiel's spot but also gets pushed back for Kelly and Ward (who is probably missing a couple of rounds per the commentary team). I don't doubt he can score very well but I'm not sure he can score premium well, probably one for the draft leagues.

Perryman - He was really solid, on the wing from what I could tell basically all game. He scored better than I expected but not by an awful lot.

Cameron - Again, looks ominous with his workrate and positioning, getting right up the ground. Obviously with half the midfield out it's harder for the forwards but I think he is a genuine smoky this year, gonna call it but he'll average in the high 90s or better this year but my balls aren't big enough to pick him!

Shaw - Stock. Standard.

Deledio - Played a bit more tonight but still pretty managed. He can still find the pill. Worth a late flyer in draft leagues but the durability risk is too much for me to consider in other formats.

Cumming - Played solidly again and is certainly in the mix. Expect he's the one who goes out for Williams though.

Hately - Not as prominent this week and his role not as good from what I saw but still a good long term prospect.

Greene - I really wanted him to blow me away but he more looked like what I expected I guess. His kicking really lacked penetration which is always the most obvious telltale of someone really struggling for fitness. His hands were clean and his goal was excellent but he looks really underdone, played 2.5 quarters but only managed 32% TOG and wasn't covering a lot of ground while out there. He's still so cheap and, thus, still in play as a starting pick but I'm just struggling to recommend him based on how unfit he does look (reasonable given his injuries the past 18 months). He scored well so if he can handle more TOG that's a positive sign but we all knew he could do that and it's the TOG and durability that are his concerns as a pick. Hopefully there will be some genuine information coming from the practise match next week.

Bonar - He honestly seemed to much better than this score, seemed to get his hands on the ball a lot but if that's all he's going to score then... yeah.

Caldwell - Came on later in the game, believe just a few minutes before half time. He was really solid, I reckon he's worth getting games into as he looks a talent but he's clearly on the fringe to start the season. His price makes him an awkward choice though.

Finlayson - Spent the first half forward where he is literally useless (don't get it at all) then went back and was slightly less useless. This is a good sign for Cumming for anyone interested in him as he got the chance over Finlayson to win the spot.

Crows - Have to be pretty happy with this hitout also, put the cue in the rack but probably could have pounded them if they wanted. Midfield was dominant, which you'd hope given it's where most of the Giants injuries are, forwards functional and the backs were well on top and just controlled everything. Again they look much quicker and fitter and so much better moving the ball forward. Wasteful kicking at goal a bit of an issue but that's the good kind of problem at this point of the season.

M. Crouch - As long as his brother is playing he'll be a super premium as he could handball/kick with his eyes closed and find him 10 times a game. He was brilliant though, tackled like a beast, moving really well and looking super fit. Ticked all my boxes and locked away.

B. Crouch - He was also really solid. Anyone considering him would also have to be happy.

Sloane - Played less and then spent a large chunk of his time in the 2nd half just chilling up forward but he also looked just as good as the Crouch boys. He'll get tagged most likely but he's been a 110 type guy even with those games and if he works through it even a little he's got such upside, just scores 130 without trying when not tagged. Going to take something special to remove him from my team at this point.

Seedsman - Playing nicely, they've got a nice balance with him, Laird, Milera and Sloane. Mackay's pictures of the president would want to be good to be able to get the coach to **** it up by putting him into plod around turning it over and not tackling... Mid only ruins him in all but draft but looks good.

Milera - Ticked the boxes and looks great. For some reason (hint: they're idiots) the commentators seem to think he was on the fringe having to earn his place but he was great regardless of that. He's the guy you win your draft league with as he's going to be damn close to a premium, wouldn't surprise me at all if he got there it's just that Smith is even cheaper and more likely to do it for mine.

Jacobs - Locked up the ruck spot. Actually looked good this week after a very slow start. Covered the ground well and was looking more like the AA level Jacobs than last year's lost soul. There is probably a case he's the ruck to pick for those looking for 15 points improvement while they hope the GG combo fails.

Gibbs - Stock standard for him.

Smith - Will be in basically every side I'd guess after this one. Looks super fit and ready for a big year and he does have the clear lead on kick-ins, my only real question right now is whether the kick-in rule change is enough to grab him in DT as well, I'm leaning slightly towards no but I haven't actually looked at that format at all yet this year so that could change with that. Honestly, reckon 90/100 is an achievable outcome with the rule changes and the way the Crows play.

Lynch/Walker - Are what they are at this point but both looked good after they were crueled by injury last year. Both are absolute steals in draft formats, there is a really decent case for Walker being cheap enough to consider in SC as well, fwiw.

Knight/Atkins - Not relevant themselves but reckon both are safely in the 22, and should basically be rotating through the wing and HFF with Douglas and Seedsman pretty much. Mackay shouldn't see the best 22 (things I've been saying for 5+ years for $100 thanks)

Laird - He was solid and heavily involved but I think this was a pretty standard game where Milera, Smith and Laird probably score roughly the amount of points I expect, I think they're a 300 point group and the split is going to be variable each game. Part of my concern on Laird is that it only would take 3 or 4 of these over the season and a slight dulling of his 135 games down to 125 games and that's 10 points off his average. Still feel very safe saying he's a 96-110 type score but you put a gun to my head I'm calling the 96-103 half of that range without hesitation. Ticks all the physical/role boxes though. Will add I thought he'd scored a bit better this game.

Jones - Couldn't do much more to win a round 1 spot given the role he's in. Was better than Murphy in just about every way and was outright good anyway. He certainly sticks his tackles and that's the #1 for his role so good signs. It's whether they think he can run out games or if they want more size with Fogarty that probably decides at the end of the day but given he got the start and Fog got the garbage time, that's a strong sign. Shame he's a mid and so expensive. Role and scoring would be similar to Murphy last year, imo, slightly better as I think the Crows will provide more chances but still, don't think you can make a case for spending 170k for a role/scoring that Gibbons is probably going to provide with better JS for 50k less, plus Gibbons has absurd upside if they play him in his actual position.

Team
    CARLTON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    485 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers Wogi, I couldn't be bothered watching this one so was good to see your thoughts so fast!

I believe Ward is a 6 week injury so probably Round 4-5 at the earliest. Thought it could meant Taranto gets some big points, wasn't looking that way but still finished 105DT / 96SC I see. Still think I won't have the balls to pick him, but if it turns out Kelly is going to miss any significant time, that could change my thoughts further.

Smith scored 99DT/97SC, but only 73% TOG, hmmmm. He's probably the negative POD I want to avoid this season, so I think I will put my actual thoughts aside and pick him at this stage. Reluctantly

The Crouch brothers (and Sloane) are very interesting. My main concerns are that both JLT games have had a weakened midfield opposition, Port's midfield looks weak in general and they were missing Wines. GWS midfield was missing Ward, Hopper, Kelly, while Jacobs was rucking against Simpson/Flynn. The tag going to Sloane does make me think Matt is the better option of the two.
    AFL Twitter --------------------------- This post is SC related--------------------------Movie Twitter

15. Likes Wogitalia liked this post
    FFC Football Operations Manager Hodges's Avatar
    Team
    HAWTHORN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah my thoughts after watching this game were that Matt Crouch is the go. Sloane is likely good for ~108 again, but Crouch is a legit 115 prospect. Happy to let others take the risk on Brad, too much needs to go right for him to be a keeper - which he has to be at his price.

Smith is locked and ready to go. Wouldnt surprise me if Milera ends up being the better selection, he was fantastic again tonight. Speaking of the mid priced backs, I was pretty impressed with Perryman. If not for his 7 or so clangers, he would have had a very good score.

The main takeaway for me is that Coniglio looks absolutely primed for a huge year. Locked himself into my side with tonights effort.
    Only ever talking SC

17. Likes Bunga liked this post
    Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    921 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Cogs, M Crouch & Smith just screamed pick me from that game. Sloane looked very good early but as the game progressed Matt Crouch just kept on finding it, ball magnet.

Greene I think I am prepared to wait on him, not convinced on his fitness personally.
    SC is FFC's number 1 fantasy game

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Geelong vs Essendon

General - Bombers wouldn't be happy I don't think, pretty close to full strength and just embarrassed for the most part by a side that most wouldn't have in the eight I don't think. Again, Bombers are really going with the "show nothing" idea as far as strategy goes. Pretty much man on man and after the first quarter where they were decent it was just one way traffic mostly. Overall it was hard to read a lot into it all as the Bombers were so vanilla, if their coach wasn't Worsfold I'd end there but given vanilla is his middle name I get the strong feeling they're just going into the season with structures or strategies again and going to kind of wing it as they go because, obviously, that worked so well last year.

Rules - Nothing here, neither team did anything, did see Francis leave the ball for McKenna which was a first in the JLT so far where a team held it up but that's not really anything special.

Geelong - They'd be satisfied I reckon but probably not delighted, they were sloppy still and while a bit of that seemed to be just chilling once the result was safe at least some of it was just bad football. Team was basically full strength so good indicators for mine.

Selwood - More time in the guts this week but did spend a bunch of time on the wing as well, any time the Bombers got a couple of clearances he went straight in though. Looks fit as I said last week. There's probably a good case for picking him with Ablett pretty much full time forward by the looks.

Dahlhaus - He's certainly an option. Role was solid, more similar to his better scoring years but not his best scoring years, mostly forward. Probably going to need the team on top like this with so many other targets up forward but he was good and certainly piqued my interest a bit.

Kelly - Strong case for him, plenty of CBA and just a pure midfield role, has basically swapped with Ablett, Ablett has become Menzel and Dahlhaus taking Kelly's role last year. He really should push 100. His popularity with the common folk might make him a defensive pick must have.

Dangerfield - Ticked all the boxes.

Taylor - Definitely ate the main intercept role and kind of brought the others who stole some of it last week back to Earth. Looks good.

Hawkins - Looks fit, I still think last year is the anomaly but happy to be proven wrong.

Menegola - This a bit of a concern for anyone thinking of starting him but is consistent with the rollercoaster of last year which is also why I haven't really considered starting him so obviously not a big influence to me.

Stanley - Was noticeably better than Fort and all but locked up the ruck spot for the near future. There is a very strong argument that he is the ruck answer that people are looking for as absurd as that line sounds...

Clark - Looks good again, love the confidence in the kid, will try and run away from anyone and has the wheels to generally do it and likes the trash talk. Reckon the back 6 looked awfully settled with him in it. Tuohy remains the issue if he's not there round 1 but Clark is as it's an obvious change. Honestly reckon he's ahead of Bews, Zuthrie and O'Connor already (2 of these played in the final last year). With Tuohy and Kolo possibly out as well, there is a spot, imo.

Constable - Solid hitout, not sure who exactly he's keeping out but he seems to be basically a midfielder while the other guys fighting for spots are more specialised in their roles, with Ablett and Dahlhaus forward I'd imagine they'd release them through the mids and pick a specialist before picking Constable but I guess we find out at teams, he's scored very decently and would continue to if picked and played in this kind of role.

O'Connor - He wasn't bad by any means but I thought Clark was better, which is a positive for us as Clark is relevant and he isn't!

Stewart - Along with Clark is the pair that seemed more focused on their man and less on intercepts with Taylor fit this week. Really low TOG and wouldn't expect that kind of ratio too often so not reading too much into it, he's another sneaky breakout premium option, imo.

Miers - Didn't think he was great to be honest. Decent pressure but, imo, he was the worst of the small forwards tonight.

Atkins - Basically the opposite, he's got great composure with the ball, holds to release at the right time and he just tackles and harasses relentlessly which if they're going to carry Ablett, Hawkins and Ratugolea up forward is vital.

Ablett - Looks even worse trying to tackle and pressure but still a gun with the pill in hands. He's going to be dangerous up forward. Not relevant though now.

Fort(k) - Stick it in him for a while. He was really bad. Got smashed for 2 goals on basically his 2 first CB (I didn't notice any before it but it's possible) and then at best broke even on the next couple. Was just smashed in the ruck and he, unfortunately, just gives very little in other areas. I'd be shocked if Stanley isn't their R1 and I'd be even more surprised if they picked him as the R2 given that.

Zuthrie/Narkle - Were very unimpressive, good for Clark and Atkins/Miers, imo.

Bombers - They're just not that undermanned for such a lacklustre performance, in fact I'd argue they were close to full strength so really disappointing. Genuinely the best hope is that they actually didn't want to practice any kind of structure or strategy and instead just went vanilla on purpose, I mean I get the secretiveness of that but colour me skeptical. Just beaten all over the ground and had very little answer for the Cats defensive structures so they just struggled to get past half way consistently. The positive is they do look dangerous on quick centre breaks but basically it felt like it was basically a matter of how until Geelong kicks a goal and they get the reset whenever they lost the centre bounce as they just didn't seem to have an answer for how to move through a pretty rudimentary zonal structure.

Heppell - Was solid, did go onto a back flank for a fair chunk of the game and did provide some rebound, might be an option to alleviate the above problem.

Shiel - Solid enough again. Basically the same player though his kicking was pretty good again this week, would be a big result for the Bombers if he's worked on that glaring deficiency in his game.

Saad - Was solid as well. Is what he is at this point.

Zaharakis - I'm not actually sure how he got the ratio he did or the stat-line, somehow has 6 clangers which means he had 2 effective disposals that were clangers which is an effort in itself. Gut feel says that he just got awarded with every 50m the Bombers gave away I mean he wasn't great but he wasn't that level of all time bad ratio bad either.

Ridley - Really strong hitout again, depending how things play out with the rookies I'm interested in bringing him into the mix. Was excellent defensively, which is always box one to tick as that's the JS, but he's probably the most reliable kick after Hurley down back and they seem to like it in his hands. His rundown tackle on Rohan was pretty special. I don't really see a good reason he can't average 75-80 based on what I've seen in JLT and honestly I can make the case for higher, nothing about his two games was fluky or exceptional to me.

Zerrett - Great per minute stats, my comment from last week remains, he doesn't pass the eye test right now. If he can average the 115+ looking this unfit then it would be a special effort but I think he's going to start slow.

Hurley - There's a good case for him bouncing back to the 100 level this year, not making it here but he was solid enough without really doing anything to change my current wait and see approach.

TBC - Was solid enough out there. Hard to see them playing two rucks and he's got the lead still I'd guess. I'd argue Clarke was better last week but not by enough to trump last season.

McGrath - This is the kind of game that makes him hard to select, did spend a bit of time back but he just goes missing for long periods and as classy as he can be he's not really a natural fantasy scorer, he doesn't really work for marks, he doesn't tackle much and he handballs a lot but this kind of statline was basically the norm for him last year, he had a 4 week patch where he had 22, 24, 24 and 24 touches for 75, 74, 91 and 69 points. Yet I still have him on my list of guys I'm considering

Stringer - Interesting they went to him when they really needed a clearance but almost entirely forward outside that and thus not relevant.

Smith - Certainly some concerns for me, pretty much the same ones I was already carrying on him supported on field and in the scoring sheet. If he goes boom early, so be it, but he does seem to have taken the back seat for Shiel and McGrath to get more midfield time and a more outside role undercuts his major fantasy skill which when combined with a limited preseason is enough for me. He can absolutely still average 100 but I'm betting against it for the first couple of months at least.

Francis - Similar to McGrath, I reckon this kind of game is probably too common still for him to push into the mid to high 90s and I'm not sold he has that 130+ ceiling to cancel them out so they need to be super rare. Just feels like you've got competition for everything down back and they're all going to kind of spoil it for each other as fantasy options.

Parish - Impressive per minute points but when you're expecting him to stamp his case and prove he's in the main midfield mix, that's kind of enough of an issue to do him.

Daniher - It's kind of amazing watching him this preseason and remembering how incredibly close I came to picking him at the start of last year, it's a serious fall from grace. He just looks like he's pretty much lost interest in the game and any kind of hard work which is sad because that was basically what made him fun to watch. He just looks like that kid who only ever did one thing growing up then took a year off and discovered there was more to life and now is in pure "I'm only doing it because of how much they're paying me to be here" mode.

Ham - Genuinely not sure if he looks more like a jockey or that 15 year old they had destroy 5 minutes of the game sounds more like a jockey on helium but it's a pretty awesome battle and I'd love to get peoples opinions. He came on for 3 minutes at the end, this is all I have to comment on him.

20. Likes Elvs1, Bunga, Athomas, Wheedus liked this post
    Team
    HAWTHORN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Crows give me Collingwood vibes when it comes to fantasy this year in the way the pies would have 4-5 guys that would dominate.