Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: JLT Series 2019

One guy I haven't considered all pre-season is Macrae but watching the GC vs WB game last night gave us a reminder of what he was doing the whole of last season. 40 touches, 7 tackles, 13 contested, 7 clearances. Was just everywhere and it's not crazy to see him being a 120-125ppg guy again.

FWIW was really impressed with Libba's game as well, expected his DT to SC ratio to be a little higher.

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    323 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Notorious_29 View Post
    One guy I haven't considered all pre-season is Macrae but watching the GC vs WB game last night gave us a reminder of what he was doing the whole of last season. 40 touches, 7 tackles, 13 contested, 7 clearances. Was just everywhere and it's not crazy to see him being a 120-125ppg guy again.
    Played 88% TOG which is massive in what would have been hot / humid conditions
    Proud coach of Big Jenny Talia FFC
    SC 2013 - 11th
    SC 2014
    - 16th
    SC 2015 and beyond - foetal position

"Yonnies in the wind, we're ruggin' up for winter"

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    590 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Have had Macrae locked in since last year for DT.

Libba put himself on the radar with his game.

FFC Football Operations Manager Hodges's Avatar
    Team
    HAWTHORN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep Macrae has also been locked in my side basically all preseason. Think the new space in the middle will only help him, happy to pay top dollar for him. Macrae, Neale, Oliver and Cripps looking pretty set as my top 4 mid premos right now.

On the rookies, Harry Jones for the Hawks impressed me. Will be interesting to see how his role changes when all the stars return, but if he gets any mid minutes I think you have to take him as a base price defender rookie. Looked composed with the ball in hand and was constantly finding space to receive. Rankine and Lukocious both did some nice things but im not sure they will see enough of it to make it worth paying the premium for them.

Not sure it was mentioned in here but I was pretty impressed with LDU. He was in my side pre-JLT games and that hasnt changed, an extra year in the system looks to have done him wonders and I think he will end up being one of the top rookies this year.
    Only ever talking SC

5. Likes Athomas liked this post
    FFC Football Operations Manager Nothing's Avatar
    Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    345 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After Mitchell went down, Macrae became the "must have" for me.

7. Likes Hodges liked this post
    Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    897 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Watched Geelong vs WCE, I'm pretty hungover/tired and it's a pretty uninteresting game but some quick thoughts...

Rule Changes -
    Same as Thursday game, neither team played their hand at all. Kick-ins were a nearest man thing, Eagles a slight lean to Jetta but Hurn took enough to think they'll share. Geelong was all over the shop.

Eagles -
    Were solid without really doing much. Geelong were very low pressure and as a result the Eagles used the ball well but hard to read into that. Structurally they looked similar to last year.

Sheed - Was really solid, everywhere. Worth noting several of the big guns played a half or other roles but he was prolific.

Darling - Looked fit and ready for a big year. More like how he started last year than finished. Under consideration for sure.

Yeo - Super incognito game, to me he seemed to be one of the more chilled guys and didn't seem to have a pure midfield role, basically better for the run type of game and still scored 90+.

Watson - Really impressed off HB, Duggan seemed to play a bit higher to me but if he can back that up I'd say Duggan and Cole will have to do a lot more to hold their spot, was great in pressure acts and with his run and ball use. Certainly a chance as a smoky pick and I'd see no reason he can't score decently in that role.

Gaff - Another who was pretty chilled. Same as Yeo he seemed to be more interested in finding space and some miles in the legs than any kind of contest.

Hurn - As mentioned shared the kick-ins basically, role as expected.

Redden - Probably had the most physical role of the established mids, played the most like how he was used last year.

Allen - Moves well and looks a strong prospect for the Eagles.

Shuey - Was really solid for the 1st half and then didn't play the 2nd half, looks fit and ready for a big year.

Hickey/Vardy - Genuine ruck share going on there, be interesting to see if they go two or just one but if it's two I think they basically scored in line with what you'd expect.

Petrucelle/Cameron - Same same here, couple of nice things but probably decent indicators of where their "average" game would fall, going to likely be goal dependent to be relevant, probably better if one wins the job rather than two sharing it as well. Don't think either took the lead here though so assume Petrucelle is still ahead from the practice game.

Geelong - Very soft game, really didn't hit in for 95% of the game, I don't know if it's the ugly shirts they wore but they all looked noticeably leaner to me, Selwood, Menegola and Danger in particular look to have lost a few KG each. Combined with a few other things that I'll comment on later I think they're going to look to play a fast and open style this year.

Duncan - Standard "barely noticed" ton for him. Basically he was Duncan.

Dangerfield - Did some nice things but the way he scored with minimal effort was a great sign. Looks super fit to me, noticeably so compared to last year where he had all the issues. More locked if that is even possible basically.

Stewart - Same role, took several kick-ins that I noticed but wasn't any kind of waiting for him to get it situation. Was active in the linkup and intercept work but worth noting Taylor was off in the first few minutes and had looked likely to be intercepting prior to that. Still think he's a genuine darkhorse pick.

Parfitt - Probably had the best role in the team with others all playing very outside roles, hard to know if he'll stay in that role or float back to HFF but he's at least worth watching, especially if Selwood continues to play a pure outside role.

Constable - Even less noticeable than Duncan to me which is a great sign for his scoring potential. Like Parfitt, role was much better than last year so will be one to watch if he holds it or even something similar at his price.

Menegola - Pretty sure he came on late in the 2nd but was hard to tell, played a half give or take anyway very prolific but like Danger was playing a very spaceman just have a trot type of role. Looks thinner to me which given his endurance probably doesn't really mean anything but not a bad thing generally.

Clark - Looked particularly good to me, couldn't tell he was a rookie that's for sure, probably the most composed and dangerous with the run and carry with a couple of really nice marks as well. Hard to find the spot for him but would be absurdly stiff to miss out if he backs that up, bit of Sicily (without the cuntiness) about how he played to me, not quite KP sized but moves really well and marks/kicks at a top level from what I could tell. If he's named round 1 he'll be in my side I reckon, looks like a guy who would play 22 as you just can't push him out of the side and will score very well.

Dahlhaus - Nothing impressive, basically only noticed him making mistakes and just not quite being there, role wasn't what you'd want to pick him, think he'll score like last couple of years on the HFF as can't see the midfield minutes.

Selwood - Seemed to play most of the game on the wing very outside. Not sure if it's preservation or a genuine role change but something to watch given how it would impact anything. For comparison it was a bit like how Sloane plays of starting on a wing and pushing really hard between the arcs and then pushing into bounces around the ground a bit, something to watch and could be a good fantasy role change. He looks skinny as mentioned before.

Atkins - Forward pressure role and was solid, leading in tackles is a great way to lock up that kind of role. Looks a smart little player to me, bit of Puopolo style but hasn't shown the aerially skills but will start as pressure but I think has more tricks than just that. Think he can average very decently. 112k mid, be nice if he was a forward. Papley probably another decent comparison for style/role, will mean a bag of 3 or 4 would make 100+ very plausible. Mature aged and I'd say one of the Menzel/McCarthy spots is his to lose right now. Watching closely.

Kelly - Looked like he was back in Perth for a visit rather than a game. Just going through the motions, was surprised by his TOG as I didn't notice him for long periods. He still looks fit though so is very much worth watching, guessing teams are going to take JLT 2 a bit more serious. I liked Menegola more as a 2nd Cat forward though and this changed nothing in that thought pattern.

Stanley/Fort - Neither did anything to move the needle here which is a bummer as obviously Fort needs to make them play him and beat the incumbent, Stanley was more noticeable to me but only just. If I was the selector I'd say this game just brought Abbot and Smith more into play rather than providing any clarity.

Taylor - Knocked out early so factor that into everything structural noted above as no idea how they structure, Henderson also only played a half so again hard to gauge where guys sit in the pecking order.

Overall I'd say this game threw a couple of rookie options to watch up with both teams having a couple of openings, provided no clarity on the rucks and didn't do much to change the opinion on any premium names. It was a genuine preseason game where both teams were clearly conscious of injury and overworking more than the result.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

9. Likes Blues_FC, dylan123, Notorious_29 liked this post
    Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    897 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

North vs Saints

General - Game had a bit higher intensity than the other two I've watched but still very low for the majority. St Kilda turned it on in the 2nd quarter and brought real pressure and blew the game open, their forward pressure and structures were actually very decent all game which forced North to overuse the ball big time.

Rules - Again, neither coach was showing their hand on these, don't think Goldy took it from the ruck once despite the considerable advantage he had for 3/4, North through a wingman almost the back end of the square a couple of times when St Kilda had their run on but neither team was bringing pressure into the centre square or really doing much of anything that I anticipate will be the normal moves in the season. Kick ins were again heavily shared to my eye with both teams following the nearest of our 3 kickers style of the past two games. Play on rate seemed high again but the biggest takeaway for me after 3 is teams sharing the kick-ins more heavily as they look to move it a bit faster which probably is a net negative for kick-in takers, especially those who took a very high amount last year.

North - Had a strong side but were pretty chill in their efforts for the most part. Had a few injuries which didn't help their cause but I don't think they'd have really liked what they saw for the most part.

MacMillan - Was everywhere and did take a significant amount of kick-ins and did play on with most. Think this score is more a symptom of the state of North's backline with Thompson and Tarrant both missing meaning he had the intercept and floating rebound role that they've traditionally shared with the young bigs having things very simplified for them of just chase your man. Tarrant and Thompson should both be back very early though so probably not a long term change.

Polec - Did his job for the most part, St Kilda were happy to give him space and let him just relentlessly kick long to contests that mostly favoured them given the Roos lack of KP targets. Will get attention at times if he gets damaging but his role was pretty clear, pure wing and as outside as ever.

Tyson - Full time midfield role, looked fit. Worth noting that Cunnington was out, so all the midfielders took a step up but Tyson looks entrenched in their main midfield rotation and looks fit.

Williams - Score is mostly a testament to St Kilda's forward pressure and taking and playing on with many kick-ins. Was their other senior defender and him and JMac did wax a bit at times.

Goldstein - Was solid but was rucking against Bruce and Wilkie the majority of the day after Pierce got knocked out early in the game. One of those where you'd expect more impact from him. The most notable takeaway though was the style he was playing, he worked back to try and be an extra defender very hard, almost every time he would push into defense and was behind the ball a lot. This was actually the standout tactical element of the whole game, what was interesting was that Campbell was not doing this from what I could tell. Again, may be an early tactic while they're defense is decimated or may be an indicator of how they want to achieve the +1, I'd lean to a bit of both. He looks fit though and scored well so he probably comes into play if Melbourne want to tank Gawn's role or Grundy struggles with his fitness a bit.

Dumont - Mostly on the wing opposite Polec, did a few nice things but didn't do anything to support a big leap, to me at least.

LDU - Looked much more AFL ready now, has added genuine definition to his body, had a key midfield role and took advantage. Very strong starting option for mine. Cunnington and Ziebell notes worth pointing out though.

Higgins - He looks incredibly fit and they look for him at every chance. Genuinely think he's a smoky to average 110+ this year. Note that he spent time off the ground for a head knock (cut) and then seemed to get cotton balled in the last but he was immense when out there.

Pittard - Standard HBF role for him. Not really a lot else to say.

Campbell - Played well, started forward and then seemed to just rotate purely from the bench in the ruck role with Goldy. Again, playing against non-rucks so take the score with a grain of salt, most concerning is he looked good up forward which makes him more likely to get games.

Larkey - Did some nice things, big KPF prospect which with the Waite opening does have a chance but he does little but mark and kick goals at this point so hard to see the fantasy viability unless there is just no other options.

Scott - Did some really impressive things and certainly put his hand up for a game. Just goes at 100% at all times and has good size and mobility. Thought he was the most impressive of the long list of no-names fighting for HFF spots.

Ziebell - Spent the entire game as a forward, basically was playing KP. Be interesting if this is going to continue or if he's being managed. Only played the half but looked pretty good in the role. Was clearly their main target up forward with Brown being about as nonchalant as possible.

McKay - Actually was pretty good, imo and looks the pick of the guys to start the season while Daw, Tarrant and Thompson deal with their issues. Hard to see him playing the whole season ahead of those guys though when they're fit/available.

Zurhaar/Simpkin/Turner/Thomas/Atley - These are the guys Scott would be battling for fantasy viability, for mine Scott was noticeably better than any of them. Zurhaar didn't really do anything until Q4 when the sting was gone and missed a pair of easy shots. Thomas' disposal was terrible. Turner still does nothing but tackle and Simpkin despite a much better role than the others (midfield) still couldn't find the ball as has been his want to date.

Hall - Vicious knee knock early that he somehow came back on to play for a bit. Looked to have a roaming midfield role in the very limited time on ground but reckon the injury will put a line through him for most at this point.

Saints - Had good forward defensive structures and a relatively strong side in. Steven missing makes any midfield judgement a bit difficult but they otherwise had the horses out there. Seemed to have moved their focus back onto defensive forward pressure and sustaining the ball in their half, still seem to have no real focus on getting the ball to their best ball users though.

Steele - Full time midfield role. Mid only makes him too risky for mine but will have a strong season I'd wager.

Roberton - Role was rock solid. Carlisle's issues certainly help his cause. Split the kick-ins pretty evenly with Savage and Webster from what I could tell but definitely took enough to be noteworthy. Certainly comes into play if the rookie numbers are lacking. Looks fit and healthy as well. Certainly not doing his fantasy relevance any harm.

Savage - Split the kick-ins, looks fit. Certainly in play as well, imo.

Billings - HFF/Wing role more akin to his good scoring last year and the year before. Looks fit and primed for a big year. Absolutely in play.

Ross - Was going half pace for most of it. Pure midfield role and absolutely in play in DT with a sneaky SC pure volume combination. Looked fit.

Newnes - Wing role just floating between the arcs.

Lonie - He had the most full time small forward role, basically being used to release Gresham and Billings to more midfield roles which is the right choice, imo. Be interesting if that changes when Hanners and Steven are back though as those are the two peripheral mids still.

Webster - I was surprised how high his TOG was, didn't notice much except Q1 and Q4 personally. Looks fit though and role as expected.

Clark - Interesting mid price option, imo. Had a pretty pure midfield role and was noticeably the big body for them along with Steele. Pretty sure he started with the main group for first bounce. Seemed to be resting on a wing almost. Low TOG but he was prolific when on the field. Will be watching closely in the next JLT, great draft prospect though regardless. Save caveat emptor for him of Steven/Hanners missing.

Gresham - Mostly midfield, little more outside than I'd have liked (more wing than midfield) and didn't score that well doing it but was noticeably higher up the ground. Strong option.

Kent - The other deeper small forward that releases Gresham and Billings and looked good.

Matt Parker - He's a filthy looking human but has some talent, little bit of Liam Ryan about him where he doesn't do much but what he does stands out. Playing as a small/mid forward as well and did enough to pencil his name in for round 1, backs it up and I'd think he's in. Scoring will probably be volatile and on the lower side but the more rookie options the better.

Hind - Looks really solid, very strong composure with the pill and made good choices. Did this in very low TOG which is a concern but also a positive to his scoring potential. Played HBF and definitely put his hand up for round 1. Hard to fit him in though with Savage, Geary and Webster all absolute locks. Would probably mean playing Roberton as the 2nd KPD and Webster as the 3rd, possible given Battle didn't really state his claim but is an interesting decision.

Pierce - Actually looked decent before the concussion and was holding his own with Goldy. Concussion aside, that he was the only ruck picked for this game is a strong side of where he stands in the pecking order and he absolutely has to be in play as a starting pick if he gets to be the lone ruck.

Bruce - Not relevant himself but did start in defense before going into the ruck when Pierce went down and then going forward after Wilkie came on in the 2nd half to ruck. That they rucked him is a decent sign that he will be their R2 at this point, imo, which is a strong sign for whoever gets the R1 nod, Pierce is my favourite of that group but Longer is cheap enough also if given an extended run.

11. Likes Blues_FC, dylan123, Notorious_29, Athomas liked this post
    Team
    HAWTHORN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wogitalia View Post
    Goldstein - Was solid but was rucking against Bruce and Wilkie the majority of the day after Pierce got knocked out early in the game. One of those where you'd expect more impact from him. The most notable takeaway though was the style he was playing, he worked back to try and be an extra defender very hard, almost every time he would push into defense and was behind the ball a lot. This was actually the standout tactical element of the whole game, what was interesting was that Campbell was not doing this from what I could tell. Again, may be an early tactic while they're defense is decimated or may be an indicator of how they want to achieve the +1, I'd lean to a bit of both. He looks fit though and scored well so he probably comes into play if Melbourne want to tank Gawn's role or Grundy struggles with his fitness a bit.
    Pretty sure I read somewhere Gawn was doing the same thing in one of their trial games, would push back and play the extra defender.

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    323 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elvs1 View Post
    Pretty sure I read somewhere Gawn was doing the same thing in one of their trial games, would push back and play the extra defender.
    Gawn did it a bit last season too
    Proud coach of Big Jenny Talia FFC
    SC 2013 - 11th
    SC 2014
    - 16th
    SC 2015 and beyond - foetal position

"Yonnies in the wind, we're ruggin' up for winter"

Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW I thought Mundy and Walters both had great hit outs against the Pies. Hard to take too much out of the game with Fyfe out but both played midfield and looked fit. I think having Lobb and Hogan (Also a fit Taberner for that matter) is going to help these guys, having some genuine targets to deliver the ball to in the forward line will be a breath of fresh air as much as it will be for supporters.

15. Likes Narkee, Athomas liked this post
    Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    897 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Notorious_29 View Post
    FWIW I thought Mundy and Walters both had great hit outs against the Pies. Hard to take too much out of the game with Fyfe out but both played midfield and looked fit. I think having Lobb and Hogan (Also a fit Taberner for that matter) is going to help these guys, having some genuine targets to deliver the ball to in the forward line will be a breath of fresh air as much as it will be for supporters.
    Logic says to me that even f they just split the Neale midfield minutes and they'll gain 5-15 odd points a game realistically. Given Fyfe's durability record there's a very solid chance they spend periods as the top midfielders at the very least as well.

17. Likes Notorious_29 liked this post
    Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    897 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Crows vs Power

General - Was a decent game, weird in that it was so one on one in the first half and then so zoned off in the 2nd half, Crows really controlled and dominated outside the first 15 minutes and the last 15 minutes. Both had strong teams. Also worth noting is this game had a shortened second half, with two 25 minute full running clock quarters, so probably about 7.5 minutes shorter than an actual quarter.

Rules - Probably even less than other games here. Not sure either team did anything at all with the 666 rule for the entire game and the kickouts were also noticeably less play on (whether stats back that up I'm curious but seemed a lot of square kicks). Brodie Smith was adventurous a couple of times but he's always done that and I reckon one of them he was in the square and the other he barely got out the top so wasn't the rule change driving it. Rucks spent too much time hugging each other to ever take it from the ruck.

Crows - Played well, first half they seemed to be fairly man on man to me and then shifted into an all out zone that was super effective against Port. Lot of waxing, lot of short hit up kicks to move forward and a very strong team so probably a decent indicator. Feels like there are probably only a few spots up for grabs with them. Gibbs the most noteworthy out as wherever he plays impacts things. Talia will play the same role as Keath so not noteworthy to me. Greenwood and McKay probably just more congestion in those spots.

Laird - I barely noticed him in the 2nd half but TOG suggests he was there, scored really well and was very active in the waxing in the first half. My concerns on him were reinforced though, Doedee had the intercept role pretty purely and Milera and Smith both took kick ins and predominantly went long, especially Smith. Both also put their head down and get it out of Laird's zone consistently. I still think he's a genuine premium but I'm just as uncertain he can maintain 110 range and think 100 is the likely outcome.

B. Crouch - 29 touches and I reckon Matt gave him 3/4 of them. Looked fit, moved well and found the ball. He's too expensive for what he is to me but for anyone considering him he ticked the boxes.

Sloane - Standard no tag Sloane, everywhere and just waxing the ball. Works so hard for space. Still no idea why he's so susceptible to tags but that's the issue but he's absolutely worth picking, imo.

M. Crouch - Looked fantastic, him and Brad really do wax it. Firmed as a starting pick for my team as he's just such a good player.

Lynch - Will benefit from everyone being back and the way they moved the ball if that's to be their style but think he's still what he is.

Smith - Looked fantastic without anything special. I think he's a genuine option with the kickout change as he took the majority and I expect that to continue. They were the first team who held up at all to get the ball to him over a few others (mostly they just went but were a couple). I hadn't really considered him outside of he's at a good price but he's worthy of discussion.

Milera - Ball use was a bit sloppy for him but he looked good. Reaffirmed to me that I think the 3 cooks will be too many in the kitchen and I think it hurts all 3 as super premiums. Probably becomes more like the Howe/Crisp pairing last year.

Doedee - Was shocked how low his DT was, he felt like he had 100 touches watching the game. Intercepted everything and it was clear they want that to continue if they can. Looked even more confident, if it wasn't for the aforementioned too many options I'd think he can also push premium numbers this year, especially in SC, but I think there are just too many so I probably will avoid them all for starting.

Jacobs/O'Brien - This was a real race to the bottom. Hard to say there was a winner but I guess as the incumbent that Jacobs gets that honour here. O'Brien the only one that is fantasy relevant at this point to me if he can win the battle.

Jones - He looks like a jockey but he goes at 100mph and tries to tackle everything. Think he probably starts behind the 8 ball but he put his name up at the very least for a spot that has a half dozen guys vying for it.

Power - Started well, finished well. Were trash and looked tired for the rest. Hinkley looks committed to the "best midfielders play forward" tactic that has worked oh so well the past couple of years almost to the point of ridiculousness at this point. At one point I'm pretty sure he had Boak, Gray, Ebert and SPP as his small forwards so that Sam Gray, Rozee, Butters and Mayes could get midfield minutes, I mean I know it's preseason but really?

Butters - Was impressive, another who looks like a jockey but has toe and no regard for his lack of size at all. From one game it's hard to make a case for a Sam Gray type to play ahead of him, certainly in play. I don't think he scores like this consistently but that he's shown this ability is a nice sign.

Boak - Actually started in the guts for the first 15 minutes, coincidence Port dominated this period, and then, super ironically, was also there in the last 15 minutes when Port dominated. Of course his coach is a ****ing idiot so expect the rest of the game to stand out but I saw absolutely nothing to suggest he's not still a high 90s scorer as a midfielder, of course he's a high 80s as a forward. Basically the same as Gray, it baffles me that Hinkley doesn't seem to want to win games.

Watts - Floating across half back all day and looked pretty good in the role. Probably worth watching for draft leagues at least.

Houston - Took a few kickouts but no standout. Was decent but did nothing to support a breakout to me.

Ebert - As advertised seemed to play full time forward, that it wasn't to free up Boak and Gray makes it kind of hilarious but he wasn't terrible but not a strong draft pick given that.

Ryder - Rolled an ankle late, dominated the ruck when he was in there, which was not much, looked fit until that as well. Not fantasy relevant to me.

SPP - Started in the midfield and did have a good role, did spend a bit too much time forward resting with all their other top mids, I might have mentioned this already, but looks fit and ready for a decent year. MID only ruins it though.

Rockliff - Sneaky good role, very good midfield minutes and actually scored very well given TOG and that Port barely had the ball. Interestingly this game did nothing to move me either way on this. The fact Wines is out and Hinkley hates playing his other top midfielders who got him his extension in the midfield it does bode well for Rocky's role. Enigma.

Lycett - The 4th ruck was like the Crows, he showed very little to nothing to suggest he isn't what we think he is. His best skill seems to be bringing the other rucks down to his level...

Drew - Got better as the game went on and looks a good inside player to me. Definitely in the mix, especially if Gray, Boak and Ebert are to continue as basically full time forwards.

Rozee - Pretty much what I expected of him. Few bursts through the middle but basically forward and inconsistent, I think this is probably about where he'd score on an average to bad game but flashes the potential to kick a few goals and get a boost and is active which is always a good way to get tackles. Probably no worse than Sam Gray now with infinitely more potential so surely plays...

Duursma - Started on the wing and was active early but really faded, he's really skinny but that's not as bad in such an outside role and have to think he's at least a chance come round 1 given that Port don't really have his type ready to role.

Westhoff - Basically permanent forward and didn't notice him ruck at all, will probably play a bunch of roles but this one is a tough sell, especially if Port are going to starve their midfield to overload the forward line with alternative targets.

Jonas - Watts was doing most of the intercept work so probably will continue for now which removes Jonas' viability. Kick-ins went to basically everyone but him from what I could tell so that also not helping.

R. Gray - Pretty much full time forward and I only noticed one genuine midfield stint. Makes him a pretty hard one to support as well.
    Last edited by Wogitalia; 5th March 2019 at 07:22 PM.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    590 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Do love the Wogi post game posts, plenty to read through.

On some of the players recently mentioned:

Roberton - One that probably hasn't had much consideration and one that I find really hard to gauge properly. He's basically had 2 seasons where you'd be semi happy/happy with his numbers. 2015 he averages 82.8/90.5 and in 2017 he went 90.2/92.5. Even his 2017 is hard to get a good read off because his first half of the year was great, he averaged 102.8/104 (from 12 games) and in the second half of the season his average dropped to 75.2/78.7 (10 games). Anyone really recall what the huge difference between the two half of the seasons were? At his price, he's cheaper than Brodie Smith in RDT, given Brodie Smith's best average is 82.1 in RDT, he's probably a stronger option there even though Smith should benefit quite a bit from these new rules.

Billings/Mundy/Walters are all forward ones I'm looking at. Billings I like due to his 2017 average and he really should be getting better with each season if he's in the right position. Mundy I loved last year but at 34 years (in July) feels like someone with minimal upside at his age and at best, will hold his current numbers (slightly more appealing in SC than DT?). But at that age there's every chance the decline will happen quickly, as will his durability disappear. Walters is similar to Billings in a sense that in the right position, he scores far better in fantasy. Two sides of the coin here but with Hogan/Lobb coming in, it means Freo now have some real forward targets ahead of Walters but at the same time, Walters is a far better forward compared to Billings and someone Freo would probably like to have in the forward line too. Still with Neale going out and guys like Mundy still getting a run, there really should be room for spots to be taken or overtaken.

20. Likes Crows88 liked this post
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    590 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

On Boak, there was an article that came out today about the new midfield coach wanting to play him in the midfield far more this season so that could make him more appealing.

Rocky and Brad Crouch swapped places for me after that game. Rocky did nothing to appeal to me from what I saw whereas Brad looked quite impressive and it's still worth noting that after the first month of footy in 2017 his DT average jumped up to 110. Unknown what affect Gibbs has to all 3 of Sloane/x2 Crouch.

22. Likes Athomas liked this post
    FFC Football Operations Manager Nothing's Avatar
    Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    345 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dylan123 View Post
    Roberton - One that probably hasn't had much consideration and one that I find really hard to gauge properly. He's basically had 2 seasons where you'd be semi happy/happy with his numbers. 2015 he averages 82.8/90.5 and in 2017 he went 90.2/92.5. Even his 2017 is hard to get a good read off because his first half of the year was great, he averaged 102.8/104 (from 12 games) and in the second half of the season his average dropped to 75.2/78.7 (10 games). Anyone really recall what the huge difference between the two half of the seasons were? At his price, he's cheaper than Brodie Smith in RDT, given Brodie Smith's best average is 82.1 in RDT, he's probably a stronger option there even though Smith should benefit quite a bit from these new rules.
    I traded him in. Ruined my year that year in DT. Was in with a shot and traded him in during R12, he posted a 78 that round and was abysmal for the rest of the year. Culminated in a final round 38 to see me plummet out of the prize money.

**** Roberton.

24. Likes Wheedus liked this post