Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Re: JLT Series 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Bunga View Post
    Cogs, M Crouch & Smith just screamed pick me from that game. Sloane looked very good early but as the game progressed Matt Crouch just kept on finding it, ball magnet.

Greene I think I am prepared to wait on him, not convinced on his fitness personally.
    FWIW on Sloane, he clearly shifted out of the midfield for the majority of the 2nd half that he was out there while the Crouch boys didn't.

Cogs is at a very interesting price point but his potential is enormous. I do wonder if he could end up tagged if no one else is playing early in the season. The big question is whether he ends up rotting forward again, haven't noticed him doing that this preseason but that was his big issue last year as while he's a decent forward it's still a lot of points left on the table when he's wasting away up there. Reckon he kind of has to have a big year for them though, he should eat up most of the Shiel points at this point.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Also on Cogs it's interesting looking back at last year's bad scores (I'm selling myself into him even though I have no spot for him )

93 vs Brisbane - Started forward and then was tagging Zorko per FF.
    64 vs Geelong - Started forward.
    89 vs North - No reason.
    89 vs Adelaide - Concussion game.
    83 vs Brisbane - First game back from concussion
    90 vs Richmond - No reason (just a shit ratio, it happens)
    79 vs St Kilda - Same.
    82 vs Adelaide - Injured late.
    98 vs Sydney - Week after injury against Adelaide.

Now I guess you have to acknowledge that a chunk of them are injury which is obviously an issue he's had but I am a big believer that continuous preseasons are the best solution to that problem for players. Now the going forward thing could continue (to be fair he started forward for a couple of his better games also) but with Shiel gone, that's one of the pure midfielders who couldn't play anywhere else out of the picture which should help that also as the kids push into the forward and they lean more on the senior bodies.

Coniglio just looks primed for an explosive start, the kind that forces coaches to overpay to him or miss him, that's perfect if you start him. My struggle is do I ditch Macrae, who already scores where you'd be hoping Coniglio is pushing, Cripps who looks just as ominous right now and is at a better starting spot if they don't make the leap, Crouch who looks about the same or Sloane, who is so cheap and capable of similar also. Or I could ditch Whitfield for him... that one makes sense

FFC Football Operations Manager Hodges's Avatar
    Team
    HAWTHORN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And a wild Rocky appears to throw everyones plans into disarray.

Has looked seriously good, super fit and covering the ground really well. Looks leaner too. Typical Rocky stuff where he is getting link possies in the back line, waxing in the middle and drifting forward for a couple of goals. 184 DT today and only the 1 tackle (super bruise-free game). He wont get 42 possies and 17 marks against any sort of defensive pressure (the Roos had zero), but the way he was moving was Rocky of old. Super tempting.

Outside that the story for me was the rookies.

Bailey Scott looked really good, scoring 84 DT from just 58% TOG. After Marley Williams went down the commentators mentioned he went back, but I didnt notice it that much. Either way, very impressive score. LDU didnt impress me as much this game, not sure he is worth the premium right now. Low TOG for some reason too.

Duursma was the other standout for mine, has a sensational kick on him and I think Port need someone of his ilk in their side. Butters was good again but might have some competition for his spot with Amon, who came on for the injured Leinart and really found the ball. Drew was really good, runs to good spots and looks a like a handy link player - great size too, happy to roll the dice on him if named R1. Rozee was really good in patches, can see he is going to be a really good player - but the 180k price tag is too much for me this year.

Mentioned this in the ruck thread too, but Hoff looked really good. Wasnt anchored to the F50 like feared, he still had his license to roam and influence the game wherever needed. If Grundy doesnt set the world on fire, think he will be my R2. Lycett was also really good in patches if anyone was considering him, but his opponent was exactly of the highest calibre.
    Only ever talking SC

4. Likes Bunga, dylan123 liked this post
    Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Port vs North

General - I'm calling this one at 3/4, I can't remember the last time I watched such an utterly pathetic game of football, North didn't even have 20 tackles at 3/4 time, that's a bad quarter so I don't even know what the adjective is for 3. This game is hard to take much out of, I imagine both coaches are just going to pretend it didn't happen because if they faced an AFLW team they'd have gotten beaten up on that kind of effort, I mean there is bruise free and then there is whatever this game was. Circle work has more collisions and contact. Basically as such about all you can take out of this game is the positioning of players but honestly even that is fragile given that I wouldn't be wanting guys to hold the positions if they're going to play them like this...

Rules - 666 got a ****ing hammering because when there is no tackling in the game, not a lot of skill and zero defensive structures there are lots of goals, it's boring as ****, but there's lots of goals, so yay? That same sentence also means there were basically no points kicked because both sides basically took all their shots from gimme range because, again, I've seen under 8s games where tackling isn't allowed with more physicality.

The standout rule this game though was the 50m rule change which actually became hysterical because the players realised if the man starting on the mark gets behind you on a sprint you basically get another 50 because of the way the rule is written.. It looks ****ing ridiculous and surely will be fixed but otherwise expect a lot of 100-150m penalties as players run into, at and through the man on the mark to get them because the umpires were simply applying the rule correctly today. ****ing hilarious AFL stupidity at its finest, something that no one had issues with becomes a spectacle and not in a good way.

Port - They were the slightly more physical team, basically because they had SPP but honestly I'd imagine (hope at least) that Hinkley was sick watching this game, they were better at circle work is the basic outcome. Not doing anything special and were consistent with roles from last week so probably a decent indicator at this point. Went in with just 23 players so I daresay this is their best 22 for round one at this point in time. Worth noting as he didn't play is that Hartlett ruled himself out of rule one at this point and hopes to be back around round 4 from what he was saying. (Note the names are in a wild order as the game wasn't over when I started!)

Rockliff - In news that will shock all, Rockilff is good at circle work. I don't really know how to grade this game, this was as close to one of those Brisbane games where it was over at quarter time and he just pigged it up as you're going to get. The positive is his role was top notch, first choice midfield, he kept working all game, he kicked well, he was dangerous the small times when forward and he looks in very good shape. The negative is he didn't tackle which is a major concern with his injuries and how important that is to his scoring in the past and obviously that this game is almost certainly an anomaly, like this made AFLX look physical...

Hoff - Another guy that I'm shocked is good at circle work... Playing forward, higher role this week, obviously not rucking with Ryder and Lycett in the team which will continue. Looks fit and all that though. I guess you could make a case that he could lose a few points but make them back if there is no ruck cover, I prefer to upgrade into him as I think he's going to be a low to mid 90s guy again without his ruck time. Although if Ryder is going to find a new way to hurt himself each week, he might get that yet...

DBJ - Everytime I thought he was playing forward the next time I'd see him would be deep defense, he genuinely seemed to have two roles he rotated through at either end. Was weird but he found it at both ends.

Lycett - Was solid, between the ruck share and his general lack of skill I'm not interested but there are probably worse options out there.

Watts - On the wing and floating again. Another that loves the circle work though so take with a grain of salt but wouldn't be shocked if he scores well this year in that role.

Houston - Solid enough game from him and he's another sneaky breakout candidate.

Duursma - He looks a good kid, reckon he's in the 22 but will come under pressure from Hartlett, Broadbent and others currently out whenever they're ready, so will be his spot round 1 but then has to hold it. D/M makes it very nice and only 130k. Kind of guy who can easily play 22 games because he's got the quality.

Drew - Looks the best of the rookie priced guys to me, he's getting genuine midfield minutes and has a big body and is ready for AFL. Looks very decent when forward as well which sure helps.

Gray - Role as per LY and last week, primarily forward with a bit of midfield time.

Boak - Massive Q1 when he was playing on the ball, was in the starting midfield group as well. Still spent more time than I'd like forward but his split was significantly better than last year, it seems that him and Ebert have basically swapped roles. He's probably my early clubhouse leader for the 3rd forward slot right now.

Burton - Down back, nothing stood out, plenty of kick-ins for him but will share with a few others.

Butters - Reckon this is closer to his norm than last week personally but he's a quality player and he should be best 22, does things that most of their mids can't with his wheels. Debatable if he's worth the premium to me but that will probably come down to the number of rookies available.

Rozee - Scoring is going to be his concern, he's one of those moments players right now which will make it hard to score but should get him some JS. I don't think he's worth the premium right now, he did float down back for a bit and instantly found the ball a bit more but he's just going to be exciting but hard to see the points right now.

Ryder - Knocked himself out with Gray's head towards the end, genuine facial fracture chance so watch this space as would change the Hoff dynamic if nothing else.

Lienert - Knee injury that is serious enough for a brace, which indicates structural issues. Fingers crossed for him, realistically Howard will come back in and if they went smaller it would be the Hartlett/Broadbent opening so doesn't change things for the kids imo.

North - Embarrassing outing for them. Honestly not sure what to take away, they ****ed around with the ball until they turned it over in the back half again despite basically no pressure, they put below zero pressure on Port. I just don't even know what they can hang their hat on in this game. If they're not going to tackle then Goldy isn't even going to get stoppages to score at...

Higgins - Looks fit as I said last week. Reckon he's a premium but hard to trust a side that looks this awful after two weeks.

Polec - Actually a pretty poor result for him given it was just circle work and you'd expect more. He's apparently become their spirit animal as the whole team embraced his "don't go near the opponent' mantra.

Scott - The clear standout for North, the only guy who really tried to tackle and did several really nice things out there. Should be locked for round 1 after his JLT. 117k MID is an absolute lock for mine as playing a good role and this game didn't require anything special. Actually think he's the kind who will be better in real games where there is actual contests as that's his onion right now.

Hall - Somehow their leading tackler which is damning on the other 21 players. Another that would be unhappy to score this badly in circle work given his epic squibbishness. Didn't really seem to be impacted by the knee at all which is the positive but it was heavily strapped.

LDU - Stinker of a score, got caught HTB twice (which was, quite frankly, impressive in this game) but his role was excellent and that's the takeaway. I'm not 100% convinced he's worth the premium but his role is better than anyone else at this point. Cunnington the question mark as he could steal the role.

Thomas - He was better than his score but I guess that's his issue, do not think he's worth the premium at this point.

McKay - Had a stinker every time he touched it basically, wouldn't be surprised if he gets the old "don't get the ball" treatment of a Nathan Brown down back.

I'm not bothering with the rest of North, they're just not worth mentioning...

6. Likes Bunga liked this post
    Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    334 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quaynor has been dropped for Collingwood's game on Monday, casting some doubt on his spot come Rd 1.

FFC General Manager KickItToButch's Avatar
    Team
    PORT ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watts in fact is playing a half back role mate, this was said in an interview with D Russell on SENSA during the week.

If he's going to be a go to man from the quick play on kick ins then I can see his scoring increasing a fair bit.

Maybe one for your draft leagues more than the classic game though.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Melbourne vs Brisbane

General - I didn't watch closely, this game was a fair bit more physical but that probably was more to do with how bad the previous one was than anything about this one because it really wasn't very physical though I will give credit that it had some good tackles/bumps even if the tackles were still at about a 2/3 the amount you'd expect. Brisbane were solid and probably slightly on top outside of Gawn's dominance in the hitouts that didn't really translate for whatever reason in this one. Just a weird game really, both teams did things you'd expect and yet they didn't really translate to dominance for either side.

Rules - Nothing of note. The general kick-out rule change continues to me, teams have set their defensive structures 10-15m further back and teams are just taking that at the start a lot or kicking to a slightly deeper contest, even the play on rates don't seem significantly higher to me. No fun with 50s that I noticed this game unfortunately.

Melbourne - Gawn got first hands but a lot of fumbles by the midfield kind of ruined it, Brisbane actually dominated the clearances which was a surprise. Nothing stood out at my casual viewing level structurally or anything, I would think given their team makeup that they'd be going for centre square dominance and lock it in and that was more or less the game plan only hard to execute when step one hits you.

Brayshaw - Everywhere again all game. Just doesn't stop working. Feeling continues, he's got that massive feel about him right now. Jones and Viney should temper it slightly but honestly he just looks primed.

Gawn - Ticked the boxes, good hitout against a good opponent, especially after Smith went down and it was all him and Martin. Looks fit and ready.

Oliver - Stock standard from him. Same as Gawn, just ticked the boxes without doing anything special.

Petracca - Really solid again, just imposing and think he's looking primed, mostly forward again but with no Hogan he seems to have stepped into that roaming role to me.

Hibberd - Decent without doing anything special. Kick-ins were pretty well spread.

Lewis - Ditto.

Salem - Ditto.

Hunt - Played predominantly forward which allowed the above 3 and, most importantly, Hore to hold down back roles.

Hore - Pretty good SC ratio and think he's the kind who will have that with good kicking and intercept. He did nothing wrong and hopefully the note on Hunt holds up and Hore will be there round 1.

Lions - Solid game for them. Did a good job of controlling the clearances despite Gawn. They'd be much happier with this one than last week.

Lyons - He's an amazing fantasy scorer, didn't really notice him nearly this much. Think this time forward and mid role is good for him and where he can squeeze in the team. If the it keeps Taylor out, like it did most of the game, that's a massive bonus for the Lions.

Martin - Same old, good around the ground, soundly beaten in the ruck. Looks in decent shape. Smith injury obviously doesn't hurt him but one of those weird severe on the day but probably not a long term issue type of injuries (knock to throat).

Mathieson - Was solid again, is a FWD this year so perhaps worthy some discussion, always been a strong natural scorer in the right role.

Robinson - Good strong game, nice free role both weeks as well.

Rich - Probably going to be one of the bigger benefactors of the kick-in rule changes with him taking a lot and playing on when he can helping provide a higher base. Still don't think he's relevant but he can probably get close in SC.

Andrews - Solid again, relies on a huge ratio because it's lots of spoils but should get a decent supply still this year and does look more aggressive in demanding the ball.

Neale - Solid enough, little bit of attention at stoppages but that's about it, tags early if Zorko misses would be a concern but he looks good other than that minor squabble.

Witherden - Didn't really do anything to demand selection. Reckon he's kind of just waiting for Hodge to go for the full time QB role back there.

Bailey - Looks to be another rebounding prong for them, actually becoming a nice and dangerous mix of users down back.

McCluggage - Another really underwhelming hitout.

Rayner - Is playing mostly forward with very limited mid time, couple of years away still for mine.

Taylor/Bastinac - It still amazes me each time I see these too, not only that they're still in the AFL system somehow but they're actually getting games.

McCarthjy - Probably just too expensive but he's scored well and looks fit in both games, if the ass fell out of the forward rookies he's got to be one of the better at that 250k range.

10. Likes Athomas, divvydan liked this post
    Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

So I mentioned I'd like to know the impact 666 was having and then watched the Bombers vs Geelong game and they actually put the stats up for JLT round 1...

Centre clearance leading to I50 was up 3% to 72% of clearances.

Secondary Stoppage was down 5% to 5.7% of the time.

I assume the balance was clearance not leading to I50, which was basically steady in that 20-25% range.

Basically a couple less hitout chances for ruckmen but higher rate of score involvements to cancel it out.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Swans vs GC

General - Tough game to read a lot into, Suns are going to be very fluid just based on their list age profile and the Swans were missing too many vital structural components to really get any good tell on that side either. Was a pretty decent hitout for the first 1.5 quarters and then the cues went in the rack a bit for both sides, 2nd half was very open and uncontested and enabled a few guys to run up their scores. Having said that, this game had a few players/events of particular note so I've bolded the key players.

Rules - Swans did experiment with wing positions a bit, especially when the Suns did get a run on. Also were bringing numbers off the back/front of the square to crowd the circle, makes sense for us to do given the SCG, lack of speed in the mids and, in this match especially, the lack of ruck skill. Suns are still more at that see ball get ball phase of their development and didn't seem to worried about structures in general.

Sydney - Good first 15 minutes which was the stated aim for the game, so that's a positive, then fell asleep and let the Suns take it all back. Good start to the 2nd quarter also and then it was basically we're up 30 lets coast mode. Structures look noticeably better with McVeigh and Grundy back in down back (and Mills) but there was a clear lack of real coherence when rebounding without Lloyd as that's the entire game plan with a bit of McVeigh but even McVeigh's role is more to create the opening for Lloyd with smart hands and hesitation moves. Were missing Franklin, Sinclair and Lloyd, so basically forward target, the ruckman and the rebounder. As usual we actually looked a bit better going forward without Buddy as we take the best option rather than the only option and thus hit up the small targets and retain the ball better which given we have very little forward pressure is a significant factor, we're still clearly not interesting in time in F50 or retention in that area, much to my delight... but when Buddy misses we're almost forced into that. Reid only played a half and it was even more noticeable when we stopped trying to kick to him as well.

Papley - Seems to have won the Hanners midfield minutes battle based on this and last weeks game. I really like his run and creativity from clearances but, honestly, I prefer his forward pressure as he's the only guy who really does it consistently well. Still, exceptional draft option and he's certainly a sneaky option in the real stuff, has scored consistently well as a midfielder in limited exposure in the past and it should be a bigger option this time.

Hewett - Same old for him, too much midfield time for my liking, it's noticeable how he always has to move sideways before kicking because of how slow he is which basically throws off the leading forwards and forces the leads to bad spots, basically when he's involved in a forward move and he ends up the kicker the guts go out of the equation. It's a shame because he works really hard to get into the right spots to have time to kick as well, basically if he was just average speed he'd be a really good player.

Clarke - I can see I'm going to continue to dislike the #4... He's basically Hanners without the handball skills... For anyone who hasn't read my thoughts on Hanners in the past, this is not a compliment. I mean he's better than Cunningham but so are most Auskick kids.

Parker - Looked good, better midfield minutes this week and he's just better at that. Textbook guy who is more dangerous as a goal kicker as a midfielder pushing forward than as an actual forward where he loses all his mismatch ability and just becomes a slow undersized KPF, basically he's like Membrey as a forward and genuinely dangerous as a forward.

Kennedy - Also good midfield minutes and looks set to continue to score roughly how he has the past couple of years. More time forward was noticeable though and I expect will continue, the simple fact is he's a decent leading forward (actually think he's ironically the best forward out of Heeney, Parker and himself but the worst goalkicking midfielder, if that makes sense).

Aliir - Rucked most of the game, soundly beaten in the ruck but clinical in the followup and around the ground stuff. Almost gave the Swans the advantage at the clearances but not even really trying to win hitouts and just allowing the mids to rove Witts.

Mills - Pretty much full time in defense, might have had a couple of CBA but it was nothing like last week. Not sure if it was just because Lloyd was out but I'd hazard to guess it's his starting role this year again as obviously showed too much composure up the ground and Horse can't have us start hitting targets forward of centre as how will we live in our defensive 50 if we do that... Interest diminished for mine, there is certainly a case for him pushing towards premium numbers even as a rebounding defender, especially if we're sticking with Melican over Aliir in which case he's also probably our top intercept option, but it's a tougher case to argue 20 points on pure natural improvement over a role change.

Thurlow - Looked better this week, much better job lowering the eyes and kicking shorter, maybe their is hope but I mean that was the kind of shit that got Newman dropped regularly so would want to be careful. Still going to struggle to hold a spot with Smith to come back.

Cunningham - Again seemed to play a wild mix of positions, god I hope that means he doesn't have one and Horse is just trying to wedge him in wherever but this is wild optimism by me, we all know he'll be there round 1 ****ing things up and giving the average E Grade reserve footballer hope he too could play AFL.

Dawson - Forward mostly in this game, like Cunningham I suggest it's him trying to prove he can find a position and is versatile to add value but unfortunately I know who Horse will pick push come to shove.

O'Riordan - Was also better this week, bit more controlled in his rebound, it probably helps both he and Thurlow that the pressure from GC is substantially lower than from GWS so both get to play at an easier pace. Will be interesting to see if Thurlow and O'R can keep a spot with Lloyd and Smith back, I'd lean towards no for both. Think Thurlow was the better performed in both games though so he'd be leading if anyone.

Jones - Started in the middle a fair bit with the 2nd group, this could be another factor in Mills going back. Honestly as much as I want Mills on the ball, I like Jones there far more because he's a C grader as a small defender who has flashed B+ potential as a midfielder while Mills is A grade where ever you put him and given I expect our style to be the same shitty live in defensive 50 mess, Mills adds more given that. He only played the first half and is coming back from a knee injury (I believe surgery over the off season) but he looked really good and he's definitely best 22 as a mid, imo.

Heeney - Rolled his ankle in the first 15 seconds, started on the wing and played wing all game with a few CBAs but mostly was on wing for those as well, cotton balled late in the 3rd. He did look a bit limited from the ankle which was clearly bothering him and could be an issue towards round 1, it certainly looked like the kind you play through and then miss a couple with so he's going to be a must watch heading into round 1 for mine. This is still unquestionably the best shape he's entered round 1 in for his career though so I don't want to over read into the injury and he still scored rock solidly even carrying it but it's a genuine concern.

McVeigh - Solid first hitout, looks fit. Good for SC drafts but not much else at this point. So important to Sydney though, just the clear leader and direction down back and still our best ball user, honestly wouldn't hate if he played forever.

Blakey - He's an impressive kid, I still think he's a last resort fantasy pick at his price as honestly he played really well and this was all he scored against one of the worst sides and I really don't think he benefits from Buddy eating most of the targets. I think he starts as the 3rd tall because he's honestly way ahead of McCartin and probably about on par with Reid right now, Reid offers more when he can get a run and jump at the ball, Blakely offers more in literally every other facet of the game right now. Do love how he looks for targets by foot rather than just blazing, he's incredibly below his knees given he looks like a giant baby giraffe out there but honestly just hard to see him being much more than a 50 point guy, though I guess he could pull a Waterman from last year. Ultimately, imo, he's not worth the premium unless there are no other options (I think he's probably ahead of the other premium forward options though outside Setterfield and Moore at the extreme).

Rowbottom/McInerney/Wicks - Don't think any will be relevant this year, Rowbottom probably the most physically ready but I doubt we see them in the first 15 rounds based on what I've seen and the depth we actually have this year.

Reid - Struggling. He's really struggling out there, he looks fit and is moving well but he's just having zero impact. Honestly wouldn't shock me if we went with Aliir as the 2nd KPF to Buddy and Reid plays magoos on his form so far.

Ronke - I wish there was someone putting pressure on his spot but Rose is even worse in the pressure areas, he just doesn't do anything without the ball and it's a liability at his size.

Gold Coast - They weren't bad. They went into a bit of self preservation mode after a bad 10 minutes put the game out of reach for them but for such a young team that really don't have a strong part of the field they were solid. It's going to be a long season but they do look decently coached even if they're probably going to get smashed most weeks.

Wright - Was positively shocked he was at the top of the scorers as he just had no impact in the game. Even Dermie has now picked up on his ability to run himself under/out of the contest. Did have a couple of nice marks and did kick a couple but neither of them were a result of anything he did, literally one was a handball from a Swan to him in the square and the other was a gimme from a teammate. He needs to lift.

Fiorini - Great draft option, ball magnet that he is. Just your natural "don't even notice him" type of scorer. Kicking remains a genuine issue but they need everyone they can get that can actually get hands on the ball.

Miller - Working hard and tireless. He's a good little player, perfect 5th midfielder type, be interesting to see if he can become more than that as they really need him to.

Witts - Again, really disappointing. He's now had two terrible games where he rucked against nothing and yet couldn't find a teammate. Maybe they're playing possum and know he's going to win his share and didn't want to give any tendencies away but it mostly just looked like Witts being Witts, he's big, strong and can get first hands on it but just doesn't have the touch to create openings or even opportunities for his teammates and just doesn't give much else around the ground still. Sounds harsh but he's got the athletic ability to be a top tier ruck, he's their captain, needs to be better basically. Positives... he looks fit and is at least eating the hitouts when the chance is there.

Ballard - Had a bit of a mare but was good, if that makes sense. Basically had two all time howlers that led directly to goals and that will be the end takeaway from the game but he was otherwise solid and looks locked into that 2nd/3rd/4th tall role. Has a nice mix of size and speed to really add flexibility for them.

Swallow - Same as last week, really underwhelming but did spend a fair bit forward again from my viewing which is obviously going to be no mans land this year. Would expect he's the #1 mid for them come round one but interesting he basically wasn't today.

Martin - Like Swallow, too much time forward and not enough impact when on the ball. He needs to become their best player if we're being honest but these types of games are a mainstay of his career so really hard to pick him if he's already thrown one up inside the first two JLT games, especially given the 2nd half of this one was so open he should have flourished.

Bowes - He's got some talent but irrelevantly priced so not going to go any further on him.

Weller - Rapidly joining the Martin "I can see the talent but where does he go for 80% of the game" scouting report pile. Kind of guy that as a coach I'd want having it a lot more but it's often hard to even work out his position. Personally I'd just throw him on the ball and tell him to go get it.

Lukosius - Really struggled in the first half, as a young leading type he's going to have a hard time in a bad team but he went behind the ball in Q3 and Q4 and found a lot more of it, could be a good intro role for him but they also need him forward and to be one of those age defying players. The defensive structures at AFL level make it way harder on a player like him if he does play forward, you can't really run a guy into the ground anymore as they just switch you in the zone so he's going to have minimal speed/size advantage, we saw with a guy like Tom Lynch at the Crows who took a solid 5+ years to really work into that role, to be fair Lukosius is a more talented version of him, but it's still a really hard role and a bad team is going to magnify that difficulty. In short, I don't think he's worth the premium BUT if he does play defense he could be because he'd basically become Weitering like in that scenario. He's basically Jack Watts as a player profile, elite kick, not top tier speed but good enough, good size but not big, can mark but not dominant, so he's going to have work out what Watts never did.

Ainsworth - He's got talent, that much is obvious, but he's a couple of years away. Another who could probably benefit from just getting thrown in the guts and told to win it. He's just starved up forward.

Hanley - Looks pretty short of a run. Has always been a guy who carries his lack of fitness and right now he's carrying it. He could be a desperation move from Roberton if needed though which is nice if he can work up some fitness, the talent is still clear, he doesn't fumble like the rest of the team.

Miles - This is the interesting one to me... his role is great and we all know he can flat out score in that role but he hasn't put the runs on the board in the JLT but I guess it comes down to whether you go with scoring or role as the takeaway. I think the biggest risk with him is actually that he becomes the guy you drop to develop kids if he only hits say an 85 level and isn't really providing top notch play or a bright future (Lyons last year for example), the other obvious question, are you better spending that price point in other positions where keeper possibility is more likely, I think he is what we know he is at this point, he's probably going to be in that 85-100 range.

Harbrow - Hard to make the case here, just for @Athomas . Kick-ins were well spread and no preference to him that I could spot. I think this score is positively on the low side and he's probably had his worst outing but there was just nothing to suggest they're looking for him a lot or even particularly at all. Hombsch and Collins both are particularly confident rebounding themselves, Lukosius if he plays back will eat up rebounds, Ballard goes himself. Really everyone uses the ball pretty well and with confidence so the only real arguement is they're going to get smashed more by better sides and in the real stuff but that's a long bow right now. Reckon he's basically going to be what he's been to date.

Collins - Be interested in his SC but I'm guessing 70ish again as he was very strong on the intercept, I believe all 4 of his marks were intercepts and I'd hazard at least 3 of them were contested (he needs to work on not making them look so easy just to make sure of it!). He looks a really good on-field starting rookie to me, Thompson's unfortunate injury just locks him in as their only real option to take big forwards. I don't see any real reason he shouldn't match his Fremantle scoring.

Burgess - Really tough outing, first half I didn't notice him at all (Rampe I believe so, yeah) but to his credit he worked his butt off up and back, up and back and eventually some opportunities came, he needs to kick better at goal but he's easily their most physical target. He's your textbook slow burner who will probably kick 3 or 4 in a game somewhere and you hope he can string a couple of decent scores either side to make some cash. DPP makes him extra valuable and at this point they're probably one injury from having to play him in defense where there are going to be lots of points. Base price who should play when available based on what I've seen and the work rate he puts in that's available as either a forward or back makes him a decent lockaway pick right now (inb4he'snotpicked).

King - Could get early games but he's too expensive and this score would be not that far off my expectations of him. He's young and super underdeveloped and he's a true defender, he's just going to stick to his man and if he doesn't get much of it, that's a great day for King.

Rankine - Did a hamstring and looks to be in heavy doubt for round 1. Given his price premium and his lack of scoring even before that, I think he's a pass as well even if he does get up for R1.

13. Likes Wheedus, Hodges, Athomas liked this post
    Team
    CARLTON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers and yeah I am way over Harbrow now, especially as Murdoch took like 6 kick-ins last week to Harbrow's 3
    AFL Twitter --------------------------- This post is SC related--------------------------Movie Twitter

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

St Kilda vs Bulldogs

General - Watched the first 3 quarters and then backgrounded the last, actually a really solid game between two sides probably in the same group of looking to improve and talented enough to do it but also probably on the lower end of the expectations externally. Both sides were pretty happy to (over)possess the ball, especially across half back by hand. Decent chunk of the goals were just the teams handballing until they found trouble. Nathan Brown was interviewed early and specifically noted the Saints key focus is to move the more slower and more deliberately, they still seem to be finding that balance, that's for sure but I was impressed by both sides pressure levels which certainly contributed to the aforementioned over-possession.

Rules - Again, literally nothing of note for mine. Both teams seemed to be focused on closing down the first stoppage more than other sides have been and it felt like there were a lot more repeat stoppages than other games, no idea if the stats back that up and also no idea if it was maybe more that both sides were so handball happy which obviously shrinks the ground rapidly.

Dogs - They'd be happy, experimented with a few positions around the ground, some worked, some didn't and some gave just about zero closure for them so there are a few spots up for grabs, don't think any are going to change fantasy dynamics though so good look here. They were very similar to last weeks game for mine, heavy possession, lots of short ball, similar midfield mix and everything. I'll be honest I thought their scores would be higher when opening up fanfooty as they seemed to have a lot more sharing with the likely names.

Dunkley - Guessing he had a big Q4 to close things out, he'd been decent up to 3/4 time but I wouldn't have expected this score. TOG not high, which is a positive for his genuine scoring capacity but we all know that. Again, McLean, Wallis and Dunkley just strike me as a trio who are going to split 250 points a week with a decent rotation through them. Guy who gets the forward minutes at the right time will get the goal boost, guy who gets the midfield minutes at the right time will get a few more touches but it just feels like those 3 are basically going through 3 spots with only one in the midfield at a time, the forward roles are still decent scoring roles but I'm still perfectly happy to let one of them prove he's winning the best minutes and is the 95+ guy rather than trying to guess now. An injury or two to guys ahead of them obviously change the dynamic to all 3 being viable.

Wallis/McLean - Really I've covered them above so will just tick them off as well. I didn't pick up any real leader in the pack in the first 3 quarters and they've produced 2 weeks that basically fit exactly what I'm expecting to see which rules them all out for mine. Happy to grab a winner later if there is one because I would lean towards 3 losers right now so it just seems a fools errand trying to pick one.

Bont - Still playing a lot of time forward but he did have a nice balance and he's certainly capable of going close to premium levels. Would just like a purer midfield role or a forward to stand up and clear him out a bit but think he's going to be a roller coaster, even if he hits premium levels I think you can get him cheap so good upgrade target.

Macrae - Thought he'd have more, must have had a lot of tackles not count as seemed involved. There was nothing here to change my opinion that he's the gun to my head top midfielder right now. Just nothing to suggest he can't match his starting point.

Libba - Played well, role was decent, was working in a bit more space than his norm which doesn't really suit his game but he used it really well and was classy. Role was similar to last week and he really does look capable of pushing back towards his best as he's established himself back in the top mix and with the 3 forwards basically sharing, Hunter playing way outside, Daniel off HB, basically it's the perfect storm. Even a few more peripheral guys like Suckling filling important roles up forward. Big tick for me.

Nauhgton - Forward today, looked solid. I like him more as a defender but it's worth the experiment. For mine he's basically Harry Taylor as a player, he's an AA level defender down the road and a decent swingman forward but doesn't seem to do anything that stands out as a forward to me.

Williams/Wood/Daniel/Duryea/Crozier - Manned the small/mid sized defender slots, one will go out for JJ, who said he's hoping to be available around round 3, but they seem pretty settled with the same basic mix last week as well. Daniel is certainly the most likely to be fantasy relevant but the Saints certainly were trying to expose him one out in the air and I'd be shocked if that's not a trend, to his credit he was respectable against this, but he's going to be targeted which could hurt his chances to rebound. Another I'm happy to pay a bit more later on if he earns it.

English/Trengove - Another nil-all draw for mine. Trengove is noticeably more physical in the followup and English was better in the pure tapwork, to be fair Marshall tired a fair bit as well which certainly helped English who went at him in the 2nd half instead of the first. I think English could at least be worth a look if he did take the honours and was one out but I'd fear he could be out in a couple of rounds if things went wrong. Does have a nice run of rucks to start though if it happens. I'd probably still lean towards Trengove as he's just better around the ground right now, especially defensively and coaches generally go for that if there is a tiebreaker.

Hayes/Smith - Reckon they're going for one spot, if there is one at all, to me Smith got the better of the run today and would be in the lead, also looks physically stronger and to have more long term potential so hard for Hayes to make the case really ahead of that but he's in the mix, he was clearly better last week to me.

Suckling - As mentioned, again was a full time forward, they don't use him nearly as much as you'd expect given he was good at finding space and his kicking is really why you'd play him there. You probably could make a case for Hayes or Smith ahead of him as well but would think he'll get first crack given experience and that they've got plenty of goers but not a lot of big kicking.

Richards - Same story as Suckling, playing forward and not doing much so could open spots for Hayes and Smith as well but, again, reckon he gets first crack just because of his speed.

Saints - Would be happy I think. Did what they said they would, took care of business and had a few guys do some nice things. There are still issues but it was a good hitout and their pressure level looks much, much better this year as does the positioning of their better players. Obviously no Steven or Hanners and they also rested Brown who misses round 1 with suspension but otherwise it was about how they'd look I think.

Marshall - Good hitout and probably enough to win the spot for starting which is pretty much the worst case from fantasy perspective. At the very least you'd think it's a ruck share headed into round 1 now.

Steele - Same old, reckon he's going to be a strong fantasy option who is probably a low end premium. Looks to have developed further and should take big minutes.

Newnes - On the wing, same old.

Dunstan - Decent game, he does this from time to time. He's the obvious one who drops back in the middle for Steven and he's basically a pure mid so that always hurts him.

Billings - Pretty pure wing role, was either perfect or terrible by foot which is basically his whole ratio explained, actually surprised how low the clanger count was, I reckon he had 6 or 7 to be honest. The role was great though and after a slow start he really built nicely, work rate was top notch, pressure acts were also very good, stuck some nice tackles. He's playing a pretty pure DT role right now and the question is whether Hanners would steal that wing from him (he shouldn't but Richo does't always do what is expected/normal/smart). I think I'll role with him in DT and wait and see on SC, there's just nothing to really expect the ratio to improve greatly and they don't have the type of forwards that can bailout uncontested kicks so he needs to use it better.

Savage - Standard and as expected. He's very capable of 100+, the slower ball movement is certainly of note as well, the more time they **** around the more chances for some cheaper touches (this also helps Billings, Roberton and Websters, obviously).

Roberton - Don't really have an explanation for his ratio, his clangers weren't as notable to me as Billings, did have a couple that led to goals so probably a strong start. Looked good on the field. Apparently there was a scare after the game so watch this space I guess. Assuming he's fit, he ticked all the boxes for mine. Still reckon he's in the 85-95 window best case but the low end is more than enough and the high end of that could be keeper, couple of weeks for some clarity either way.

Ross - Still their #1 midfielder and think he can push really high in DT, hard to judge if he's taking it easy or they're trying to get him the ball less, he's not working for the cheapies like he did last year which could be a team order given how bad his disposal is but might just be a guy taking it easy knowing where he's at as well.

Clark - Solid again, role is just nice. Don't think he's a premium but decent draft option I think.

Battle - Interesting one for sure, is going to play defense, the question for mine is whether it's just while Brown is out or if it will continue but he's actually cheap enough at 230k to be in play, he does look to mark and does use it well, in ways he's probably a better pick than Moore as I reckon supply will be higher and responsibility lower. One of those "desperation" priced rookies for mine but worth knowing about just in case.

Gresham - Role was really decent again, this is the text book gamblers preseason, he's done nothing to make people pick him but he's ticked every box you'd want outside of scoring to the point of being in every team. He also had a severe case of the fumbles in this one which is super uncharacteristic of him and I'm happy to ignore entirely, I reckon he fumbled away a solid 25DT points which is probably 30 in SC as decent chance one of the marks actually cost him points in that and he uses it well. Very interesting spot, I reckon he's done everything you'd want if you were interested before the JLT and absolutely nothing to change your mind if you weren't.

Joyce - He looked really solid. Good size and athlete, from what Brown said they basically picked their back 6 for round one today so really good sign with him firmly in it. The question is whether he's in it long term or not. Obviously 123k rookies are always intriguing, ones that like to rebound and intercept are even better and that's him to a tee. Reckon he'll be a rollercoaster scorer but the potential to score 90+ is certainly there which is the ideal profile for a rookie, of course I'd imagine the chance to score 30 is also there if he gets stuck locking down. Absolutely in the mix, trying to get a read whether he's best 22 or holding Brown's spot is going to be pivotal. I get the feeling Battle is the guy taking Carlisle's spot for Joyce is kind of the odd man out. He'd absolutely be the silver lining if there are issues with Roberton, he'd be a lock then, imo.

Webster - Not a great scoring preseason from him but the role is there so no reason he can't produce strong results. Do think the likely outcome here is the same as the Wallis et al problem for the Dogs at the other end, Savage, Roberton and Webster are probably going to eat too many points from each other.

Parker - Nice aggression from him, a legitimately great mark but not a lot of fantasy. Same feel as last week, he's going to have a pretty crappy role for fantasy but one that with a mini-bag can quickly become a decent score to price peak from. He looked pretty firmly established in their forward group so really his biggest threat is probably that all the mids come back and push the others forward and he gets pushed out. Pretty unique combination of speed, jumping/marking and aggression though that they don't really have from the others so I like him to play a lot of games, scoring will not be great but depends where we're at from the rookie count but he's a good rookie pick right now.

Hind - The TOG a bit of a concern but also explains the score. He looks really good as a player to me and will also be right in the mix for round 1. Very good role but they can only pick so many names and Geary, Webster and Savage are certainties so really depends how many talls fit it, how many mids go this way as well, similar to Parker with guys like Newnes, but he's in the mix and I think will score well, he runs, carries and hits targets from what I've seen and the Saints look happy to muck around with in the back half.

Wilkie/Phillips - Both came on late in the 3rd and that was it, reckon they're the names to remove from the best 22 straight away.

16. Likes Wheedus, divvydan liked this post
    FFC Football Operations Manager Hodges's Avatar
    Team
    HAWTHORN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some interesting scores coming through from tonights games.

Collins only showing a 52, seems low considering I saw a stat that 9 of his 10 possessions were intercepts. Starting to question whether he is worth the premium now that he will be playing a more accountable role. Still, job security is second to none so he is a safe slow burn.

Charlie Ballard managed an 83 in spite of his 6 or so clangers. Was really impressed by him in JLT1, if Roberton is out (doesnt sound great) I might look to Ballard to fill that gap. Looks markedly improved this year.

Burgess scored just 15. Thats horrendous. Doesnt look to be a high possession guy, and playing forward for GC he will be starved of opportunities. Think he will only be selected if there are zero other options. Or you need the link player.

Dom Sheed put on another clinic tonight, dude just knows how to find the ball. Another one alongside Brouch and Rocky in that 400k club. His last 7 or so games have been ridiculous, looks set for a big year. How many of these guys can we pick though..

Petruccelle looked really good, his pace and pressure really adds to the Eagles forward line. Scored an 87 in SC tonight, think he will be locked in now given how bad the other forward options have looked.

Darling with a 96 was also a great result. Thought he was pretty poor, dropped marks and missed goals he should definitely kick. 18 possessions, 1 goal 4 and only 50% DE yet nearly cracks the ton. Great signs for anyone who was considering him, if this is how he scores when he is off then look out. Have genuine concerns about Heeney given he rolled his ankle inwards, Darling is looking primed for that spot right now.

Walters had a classic Walters game. Only 18 possies, played pretty low TOG at 68% and gave away a fair few free kicks. Yet ends up scoring 92 in SC. You would take that in a hammering like that, role looked good.

Willie Rioli was by far the best player on the park tonight though. Everything he did was first rate, the pressure, the finishing. Equal second highest contested possessions across both teams on top of 4 goals. Makes me miss having a Rioli on my team.
    Only ever talking SC

18. Likes Bunga liked this post
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    589 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Disappointed that Watson didn't get a go as I had him in my squad.

Could be wrong but I don't really see many high scoring rookies to date, feel like it might be more of a slow burner this season and the numbers are starting to thin.

Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    921 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dylan123 View Post
    Disappointed that Watson didn't get a go as I had him in my squad.

Could be wrong but I don't really see many high scoring rookies to date, feel like it might be more of a slow burner this season and the numbers are starting to thin.
    He would be first in line if Jetta/ Cole/ Duggan/ Hurn gets injured, our small defender backup.
    SC is FFC's number 1 fantasy game

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Eagles vs Dockers

General - A real drubbing after Freo actually started alright but there was such a massive class divide here. Both teams strong, basically Fyfe and Sandi missing for the Dockers and Kennedy and NicNat for the Eagles but given neither of those rucks is expected back any time soon it's not really relevant to things.

Rules - Again not much impact at all. That's pretty much the conclusion here, I think the biggest difference is going to be that the 666 rules is going to really hurt weaker sides as they're not going to be able to slow momentum or defend when they can't win the clearances but really the only notable impact is that to me, teams are finding it easier to get some repeat momentum and it's hard to stop.

Fremantle - Actually started really well but their skills were terrible even when they were on top and the second they started to gas and the pressure fell apart the entire game went away. Could count the amount of times they hit 3 kicks/handballs in a row without wildly missing a target or fumbling on one hand and when that pressure dropped I mean it went home entirely. The question will be if they dropped because it was JLT and they stopped caring after a good 1.25 quarters or because they gassed, they sure looked gassed because even as the Eagles rapidly eased off their own pressure the Dockers kept making simple skill errors. Best case if they can sustain that kind of pressure for 4 quarters it would be effective but other wise they've got amateur level skills as a side and nothing else to make up for it when the pressure isn't elite. No Fyfe makes everything tricky from a role perspective, he obviously is number 1 but do they continue with the other big bodies or just straight out swap Mundy/Walters out for Fyfe? Either way I really hope the first bit with the pressure is the Dockers game this year because otherwise they're going to have a really long season, like even longer than this offseason has been having to hear the Eagles fans chirping away at them.

Brayshaw - Solid midfield role, solid score. Reckon this will be about his standard game. A year or two too early for me.

Mundy - Role was perfect, pretty much pure midfield. Fyfe question is a big and genuine one. He's a 100+ player in this role though and he was one of 3 Dockers who actually had any composure and hit targets, genuinely reckon that 30% of his "ineffective" disposals were teammates dropping perfect handballs because they're shit. He was good and certainly confirmed the interest. The Fyfe concern is the big one. Secondary to that, if they're going to be this bad and honestly this looked like repeatably bad skills, then that's going to hurt. His wicked inconsistency over the past few years also has me doubting as a starting pick and maybe leaning to upgrade target.

Conca - Good god he was awful. Can't fault the effort, he was good in this area, but his skills, **** me, he had a couple of kicks he nearly missed his foot with and they're probably not in his bottom 5. He's like that guy that's handy if he's the 26th or 27th guy on the list but he seems pretty firmly entrenched in their midfield rotation, hence me thinking this was a repeatably awful performance as a team.

Hughes - Same as Conca, playing HB, his positioning was good, his one on ones were good, endeavour great but what a ****ing hatchet job on the football.

Langdon - At least he just hacks it as long as he possibly can before turning it over because that's a ****ing awful tactic against the Eagles...

Tucker - Tagged Shuey all day and actually did a good job.

Hogan - Sorely lacking match practise and touch right now. Him and Lobb is also a trainwreck, pretty sure that the Eagles didn't even bother spoiling them by the end of the game because they just kept running into each other like they're still opponents. Played a lot of midfield time, good sign that he'll do that when rotting away but, again, he's just out of form.

Walters - The other Docker who really stood out as quality, just hits targets and has composure, played a very midfield heavy role which was needed because they really struggled to win the ball even with him and Mundy breaking even.

Lobb - The complete disdain that the Eagles treated him with as a forward target was actually hilarious. The amount of times they just left him to Duggan or Cole was amazing, the fact that it pretty much worked every time was even more. He's your ultimate Tarzan/Jane player, he flashes something good about once a quarter and is just a great waste of space the rest of the time. He's that guy if you had to guess his IQ you'd say closer to single than triple figures because he's just a stupid footballer, amount of times he just drags his man into the way is amazing. Still scored decently which is the amazing part, I guess half his score was tackles and hitouts so that kind of explains why he could look so bad as a player but still score from fantasy perspective.

Wilson - Doesn't seem to be benefiting from the rule change.

Cerra - Played a bit all over today but still mostly off half back. One of the few other Dockers who you thought might hit a target when he kicked it. He'll probably go home in a couple of years because, honestly, he's too good for the Dockers...

Banfield - Put a decent level of tag on Hurn, clearly it was super effective... His two goals must have been about his only effective disposals for the day. Interesting player where he does some nice things without the ball but if I was a Dockers fan I'd close my eyes from the point he tries to pick it up until he tries to kick it.

Darcy - Probably won the ruck contests but didn't do enough around the ground or at the contest, he looks so unfit and he plays like it as well. Basically looks like he rewards himself with a KFC bucket each time he runs a lap at training. Be interesting to see if they let him try and play himself into shape or go with Lobb until Sandi is back, especially for fantasy purposes, genuinely he looks like a throwback to the days before the game became professional.

Bewley - Came on late and did some nice things, he was the other Docker who actually has composure and is willing to hold the ball long enough to find a target and then actually hits the ball like he's actually practiced kicking during his life.

Eagles - Don't know how they'd take this, they weren't great early when the Dockers actually brought some pressure and they certainly didn't match them early in this area but perhaps that's because they knew it was unsustainable and were just happy to bring a bit more constant pressure. It was actually hard to judge the Eagles pressure because the Dockers were pretty committed to kicking it to the Eagles, fumbling and just generally making a mess of things whether there was an Eagle on the screen or not. Still their structures were sound, they basically always had the extra man in defense and it felt like they had an extra couple of men at each contest in the forward line as well. They also dominated the clearances despite not getting first hands and when they did get first hands they felt so much cleaner and clearer, part of that though is that there was basically no tackle pressure anywhere after quarter time.

Sheed - Didn't expect this, I mean they put his disposals up in Q3 and I was surprised at that point but just flat out accumulated under the radar, my feel was he was on like 17 when he was on 29 and that gap basically held. Great sign really if you're just finding the ball everywhere. Maybe partly because I just wasn't watching him as I didn't consider him at all relevant without his FWD status but was still surprised at the end. Had a good role though, that much stood out, good midfield minutes and didn't seem to be rotting away up forward much at all.

Rioli - He was really good. Looks to be a lot fitter and could be in for a big year. Freo really had no answer for any of the small forwards, I mean they've got a really slow backline and it showed, but Rioli turned it into a circus. There has to be the honest question of whether he can be relevant, probably more a high 80s type but only takes a handful of these and you're up there, not sure what his SC was but it should have been 150ish based on the 120 which felt about right.

Darling - As Hodges said above, this was a really good shit game for him. He was a mess really, dropped a lot of easy marks, missed a lot of easy goals and was pretty lackadaisical and still cracked the DT ton, can't imagine his ratio was great but god only knows this preseason on that front.

Redden - Same old. He's a borderline premium without Gaff but I think just short with him.

Hurn - Great score given he did have a genuine tag, he's probably the one where the kick-in rule is actually helping him of the top 6 or so defenders and could well push higher. Pretty damn solid starting pick if I'm honest.

Yeo - Didn't play as much as the other mids to my eye, didn't play as much midfield either. Given his preseason that makes sense and TOG backs it up. Looks good though still.

Petrucelle - Was really solid this game, his kicking was Dockeresque, he probably should have had 5 if he'd kicked at a below average level rather than utter shanks, but his speed was on show and he did some really nice things that should have him in the team come round 1. This feels like the upper end of his range just from his role and the way he plays but you never know, might take this and build on it. Looks a solid starting rookie, certainly ahead of Venables for mine, basically the same player but better at everything.

Shuey - Copped the tag, didn't play much, was really solid when he did. It feels like one of the Eagles mids can push into the 110s but maybe there will just be too many of them.

Hutchings - Tagged Hill to the point where he literally gave up and went off and just said "ice me, I'm done". Going to be a pest again.

Hickey - Did enough, was better than the raw stats for mine and was able to not be useless when resting forward which is a big tick. Too even a ruck share with Vardy though for fantasy relevance, could make a genuine case he's actually overpriced to start the season.

Allen - Scary good KP prospect to be hiding away as depth. Just does everything well. He's mentally a long way ahead of Lobb at the other end for comparison. Clearly understands positioning, spacing and running patterns, just seems a really smart player with the physical ability to back it up. Going to be interesting to see how they get games into him this year, they're probably in the position to just give Kennedy an extra preseason over the first 8 weeks so they can get more miles into Allen, Waterman and Brander.

Waterman/Brander - Allen was the standout to me but the other two are clearly good as well, Brander played in defense after Shep tried to kill himself driving his head into Lobb and then somehow hurt his knee/hamstring while doing the concussion test (love to hear wtf happened there?).

Gaff - Just running around chilling and trying to avoid giving anyone a big left hook this time. Mission successful. He played like a man who knows he's got a nice big month of running ahead of him as he tries to stay somewhere near match fit.

22. Likes Bunga, Crows88, Wheedus liked this post