WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: 2018 AFL Free Agency/Draft/List Changes

Quote Originally Posted by Elvs1 View Post
    Don't you hate it when a player you absolutely can't stand gets traded to your club.
    Mind you I did think Dew was the biggest cock going around, till he won us a gf

Also reports of Scully going to Hawthorn, not sure if he is still on a big contract but perhaps taking him might be to help with Giants salary issues.
    From what I've read, Scully's contract is down to around $500k/year for the next 3 years.

3. Likes Elvs1 liked this post
    Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    869 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Wingard is a flog but he's a ****ing phenomenal match for the Hawks, better fit than Shiel, imo, as he's way classier with the ball and way better in front of goal.

Scully also exactly what they need.

Meanwhile Swans are paying clubs to take former All Australians off our hands... (I don't really agree with him being an AA but facts is facts!)
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

5. Likes Athomas liked this post
    Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Trade done

Setterfield + 71 to Carlton for 43 + 2019 Rd 2.

7. Likes Athomas liked this post
    Team
    CARLTON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    471 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    Trade done

Setterfield + 71 to Carlton for 43 + 2019 Rd 2.
    Good good

Don't think GWS could expect too much more, could be Pick 19-21 realistically so I think it's fair
    AFL Twitter --------------------------- This post is SC related--------------------------Movie Twitter

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Freo have pulled out of the Hogan trade, at least unless Melbourne give in. Also means no May to Melbourne.

Team
    HAWTHORN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wogitalia View Post
    Wingard is a flog but he's a ****ing phenomenal match for the Hawks, better fit than Shiel, imo, as he's way classier with the ball and way better in front of goal.

Scully also exactly what they need.

Meanwhile Swans are paying clubs to take former All Australians off our hands... (I don't really agree with him being an AA but facts is facts!)
    Agree, Shiel isn't what we need, have enough inside mids that aren't great kicks, he is explosiveness out of a pack is something we lack, but yes prefer to target Scully (if his body is ok) him and Smith on the wing would be great.

FFC Senior Assistant Coach Robbo's Avatar
    Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    Freo have pulled out of the Hogan trade, at least unless Melbourne give in. Also means no May to Melbourne.
    Freo a very interesting trade period to come imo.

Word is their pushing Brisbane for more than pick 5 for Neale and they are rejecting Melbournes suggestion of 5+23 for Hogan.

Even if it mean's hanging Lobb out to dry, surely you take that deal for Hogan. I think they are trying to have their cake and eat it too.
    First Passenger on-board the Stefan Martin Train!

FFC Football Operations Manager Nothing's Avatar
    Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    327 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo View Post
    Freo a very interesting trade period to come imo.

Word is their pushing Brisbane for more than pick 5 for Neale and they are rejecting Melbournes suggestion of 5+23 for Hogan.

Even if it mean's hanging Lobb out to dry, surely you take that deal for Hogan. I think they are trying to have their cake and eat it too.
    Plenty of time to go but from my perspective:
    1. We don't have 5, yet, so it's very hard to include that in any trade without then being bent over by Brisbane. I suspect we would be broadly happy to send Neale's value to Melbourne.
    1a. The reported offer of 11 and future 2nd is the best we can offer currently. Having traded future third we can't trade future first.
    2. Hogan's fully fit is worth what Melbourne are asking. But he's not and he may never be. I'd rather not pay a big price for someone with his injury.
    3. Lobb can happen with the currency we have from the Port deal.
    4. Melbourne appear motivated sellers, keen to add May. Why would we offer what they are asking at a time when we don't even have that currency.

The media furore that we are wrecking trade week is amusing.

FFC Senior Assistant Coach Robbo's Avatar
    Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nothing View Post
    Plenty of time to go but from my perspective:
    1. We don't have 5, yet, so it's very hard to include that in any trade without then being bent over by Brisbane. I suspect we would be broadly happy to send Neale's value to Melbourne.
    1a. The reported offer of 11 and future 2nd is the best we can offer currently. Having traded future third we can't trade future first.
    2. Hogan's fully fit is worth what Melbourne are asking. But he's not and he may never be. I'd rather not pay a big price for someone with his injury.
    3. Lobb can happen with the currency we have from the Port deal.
    4. Melbourne appear motivated sellers, keen to add May. Why would we offer what they are asking at a time when we don't even have that currency.

The media furore that we are wrecking trade week is amusing.
    O im not buying into the media garbage, i guess i'm most surprised that haven't finalised the Neale deal by now, i think 5 for him is a great deal for Freo.
    If i'm being honest i also dislike the silly tactic of "we're withdrawing from the deal, they are being unreasonable" - when they well intend to come back into the deal and try wittle them down further.

If Freo have indeed walked from the deal and don't backtrack into a deal i will gladly admit i was wrong on that.

Talking to my mate at work who follows Freo, he is getting a bit nervous they don't get deals done, i think they do and probably get really good deals, it's just, they may start getting a rep on the trade table that may not be ideal for the future.
    First Passenger on-board the Stefan Martin Train!

FFC Football Operations Manager Nothing's Avatar
    Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    327 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5 is the worst we get for Neale. That would be close to the free agency compo. Contracted player going for big $ I'd want more (not 2 high firsts but certainly 5+?).

The comment on media wasn't directed at you, just the narrative that we should be doing whatever Dees want. Walking away will either be genius or the worst decision ever. All that I've seen is that Lobb had been our intention this trade period. If Hogan wasn't considered a priority, for whatever reason, then walking away makes sense.

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

GC will use their third and final state-league player pick on Sam Collins. Former Freo player, Collins is 24 and played as an intercept defender at Werribee this season but has the size to also play as a key defender. Might suggest that GC are expecting May to still leave this trade period.

16. Likes Athomas liked this post
    Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    869 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

I like what Freo are doing, simple fact is their last two trades were fantastic in the Port deal and the GC deal last year.

I'd be asking for more than pick 5 for Neale as well, elite midfielder entering his prime that's been at an AA level the past 3 years is worth a ton. I'd argue he's the best midfielder since Dangerfield to genuinely be on the market, if I'm Freo I'd be happy to wait and see where Shiel, from a desperate seller, sets the market and work from there, I rate Neale as a better player personally so I'd be asking a lot more. Honestly, people overrate picks so much, especially the media, but if that's all the compensation then they have to ask for as many/high as possible. (I will add I'm not sure if Neale becomes a free agent next year or would still need a trade to leave, that has a significant impact on how I'd act as Freo).

Hogan is tough, that injury he had this year is a scary one, same injury that ruined Jack Trengove's career, Egan and a few others and has severely derailed several other guys as well. It's a brutal injury that has caused ongoing issues for many guys who incur it. If I'm Freo I'd be very afraid of that given Hogan is an endurance based player, sure he can impact with limited fitness but it severely limits him. Yes, a fit Hogan is worth a lot but I think given that 5+23 has been floated as an idea from Melbourne that indicates they know he's at least somewhat damaged goods as I'd be asking much more if I'm them and he's at fair market value without injury. If he also wants an 8 year contract (1m is not unreasonable fwiw) then the injury becomes an even bigger factor. Yes he'd be great for them but if he ends up another Bennell or Silvia who never really makes it on the field due to injuries then it would be a terrible trade.

Lobb they should just get done, make it happen and don't risk anyone poaching or anything, that one should be easy and don't let GWS sell enough assets at significant discounts that they end up able to keep him and you have to pay full price. Eventually the fire sale will end when they get the cap sorted, don't want it to be their guy who stays on the shelf.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    289 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

you'd be happy if you got a lachie neale with pick 5, so getting a sure thing in his prime has to be worth at least that
    TEX WALKER. that is all.

19. Likes dylan123 liked this post
    Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Have updated the list of trades done so far.

Scully, Wingard to Hawthorn, Burton to Port, Mayes to Port the most notable player movements.

Port now have a top 5 pick and may be looking to get pick 3 from GC later on.

Worth mentioning that the player aspect of trade period finishes tonight (8:30pm AEDT) but pick only trades can still take place up until a week before the draft and again on draft night itself. Would expect some more pick trades to happen closer to the draft when clubs get a better idea of which players are likely to go where, especially in the top 10 or so.
    Last edited by divvydan; 17th October 2018 at 01:45 PM.