Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    578 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: 2018 AFL Free Agency/Draft/List Changes

Can't help but imagine they'd overvalue pick #1 so much that they would actually expect #2 and #6 to make it happen.

Team
    CARLTON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    471 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Walsh seems to fit us best though. Unless we could guarantee Smith gets to 6 and Rankine to 3, which I think is unlikely that both scenarios happen - I have no interest in Lukoscious or the King brothers (or even Rozee I think his name is at 6)

Rankine and Smith > Walsh
    Walsh > all other combos imo
    For our needs anyway
    AFL Twitter --------------------------- This post is SC related--------------------------Movie Twitter

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think GC are looking to find ways to keep players on their list. Walsh is probably their number one for that reason, he's a Brisbane supporter and from all reports a very low risk of wanting to leave in a few years. Their other option is to try and use their multiple picks to group players together and hope that keeps them there. Either taking 3 SA kids, or taking both King boys seem the obvious move, especially with Lukosuis and Rozee being good friends.

4. Likes Athomas liked this post
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    578 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You'd be crazy to give up 2 top 10 picks for #1 though which is where I see it being very hard for #1 to be ever traded unless players are involved.

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dylan123 View Post
    You'd be crazy to give up 2 top 10 picks for #1 though which is where I see it being very hard for #1 to be ever traded unless players are involved.
    I could see it happening if both top 10 picks are in that 5-10 range but 2 top 10, with one being top 3, that'll probably never happen. Basically, Gold Coast would want Carlton's 2019 1st rounder and #1 to give up #2 and #3 and even then that might not be enough given how highly rated the top handful of picks are this year. Additionally, GC already has their own and Brisbane's 2019 Rd 1 picks, so they probably don't need more early picks next year.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    578 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    I could see it happening if both top 10 picks are in that 5-10 range but 2 top 10, with one being top 3, that'll probably never happen. Basically, Gold Coast would want Carlton's 2019 1st rounder and #1 to give up #2 and #3 and even then that might not be enough given how highly rated the top handful of picks are this year. Additionally, GC already has their own and Brisbane's 2019 Rd 1 picks, so they probably don't need more early picks next year.
    I still think it would be a super high price to pay and in Gold Coast's situation, Carlton would need to send next years first back to make it happen given they don't have anything else until 69.

I think I read somewhere that Gold Coast were kind of interested in teams first rounders for next year, don't mind it either as I think teams are more willing to spend future firsts where they are much harder to get the following year.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    869 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by dylan123 View Post
    I still think it would be a super high price to pay and in Gold Coast's situation, Carlton would need to send next years first back to make it happen given they don't have anything else until 69.

I think I read somewhere that Gold Coast were kind of interested in teams first rounders for next year, don't mind it either as I think teams are more willing to spend future firsts where they are much harder to get the following year.
    If I'm Carlton I'd be pitching #1 and next years first for 2 or 3, 6 and Brisbanes first. (2 or 3 doesn't really matter, would assume they'd agree who's taking who anyway or they're idiots).

Carlton aren't as bad as they were this year and Brisbane are a team that could very easily slide back next year but that's my take and Carlton would be backing themselves in to achieve it to pull it. It seems GC really want Walsh and Lukosius from what I can tell and that would be the cost to get it done, from their side they'd be backing Carlton to stink again, which is very possible, and Brisbane to continue their upward trajectory, which is also very possible, and would be happy with that result also, realistically they can only draft so many kids and if they keep losing them every 2 years anyway then they're not going to run out of picks.

Carlton could then get two guys, think that Smith and Rankine will be better than Walsh long term anyway so that would be the ideal result.

Carlton would be backing their defense to improve with Docherty back and another year of development into basically the entire list. Getting Kreuzer back would also make a huge difference for them. That's two of their 4 best players who basically didn't play this year and Murphy without the captaincy should be free to focus on getting his body right which is his only real issue. Curnow, Cripps, Weitering, McGovern, McKay, SPS, Dow, Kennedy, O'Brien, Fisher, Marchbank and Plowman should all get better with another offseason. Thomas, Curnow, Simpson, Fasolo, Lang and a couple of others aren't bad veterans that can play decent roles. Of course they could continue the trend of most of those guys seemingly getting worse but who knows.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

9. Likes Athomas liked this post
    Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Apeness has retired. Was delisted at the end of this year but Freo was planning to rookie list him.

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

A few more list changes happening with the following to be picked up as rookies under the new rule (same one as Zac Clarke and Mumford)

Mav Weller to Richmond
    Corey Wagner to Melbourne
    Keegan Brooksby to West Coast