HAWTHORN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Round 2

Quote Originally Posted by dylan123 View Post
    For the 5 minutes of that game I watched, I hope it's the only prime time slot that either of those teams have this season.
    They mentioned it was Norths only Friday night game for the year. And thank god for that.

Savage was the big positive from that game for me - he has had two pretty poor games to start the year and has two 90s to show for it. Thats exactly what you would want to see, because when he gets into form his big games are real big.

And yeah I wonder how long coaches will persist with this Dusty copycat stuff. Picked up on it during preseason and it seems that every team is trying to emulate it, but unless you have the personal it just doesnt work that well. Even if you do have the guy, like Freo with Fyfe, it still doesnt work that well unless you can win it out of the middle and get it to the guy.
    Only ever talking SC

FFC Agent of Chaos Big Sledge #32's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    577 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The issue is that Danger and Dusty proved it super viable last year, for those two players.

Which can work if you're a top 4 team with the likes of Selwood or Cotchin holding it down in the midfield, so that Dusty and Danger can kill a non-top 8 side up forward.

But it doesn't usually come off as well when you're a bad side which doesn't have the personnel for it. So we're seeing the likes of the Bulldogs, Fremantle and St Kilda getting utterly annihilated in the middle while their best player is off catching a cold at full forward. It's just bad coaching at this point, Hardwick showed last year the value in playing to your team's strengths.

That St Kilda v North game yesterday was god awful viewing. For all of the missed shots, it was the fumbles and clangers in the first half that drove me insane. It's going to be a very long year for both of these sides.
    Baltimore Ravens Superbowl XLVII Champions
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkee View Post
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    588 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodges View Post
    They mentioned it was Norths only Friday night game for the year. And thank god for that.
    Sad part is they were the least worst of the two teams, hope St.Kilda don't have any, unless it's against Adelaide

*will surely lose to them now and the above will be bumped*

4. Likes Hodges liked this post
    Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who are the outs for Geelong. Taylor is one but the AFL site doesn’t list the others. So shit.
    Proud coach of Big Jenny Talia FFC
    SC 2013 - 11th
    SC 2014
    - 16th
    SC 2015 and beyond - foetal position

"Yonnies in the wind, we're ruggin' up for winter"

6. Likes Athomas liked this post
    Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    334 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wheedus View Post
    Who are the outs for Geelong. Taylor is one but the AFL site doesn’t list the others. So shit.
    Taylor, Murdoch and Z.Smith out for Geelong. Danger, Stanley and Jack Henry in for his debut.

8. Likes Athomas, Wheedus liked this post
    Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    334 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Adam Simpson has gone back to Perth to be with his daughter who was admitted to hospital last night. Hopefully it's nothing too serious but thoughts with the family today. Jaymie Graham will take over as senior coach for today's game.

FFC Agent of Chaos Big Sledge #32's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    577 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dylan123 View Post
    Sad part is they were the least worst of the two teams, hope St.Kilda don't have any, unless it's against Adelaide

*will surely lose to them now and the above will be bumped*
    We play them this week on Saturday night.
    Baltimore Ravens Superbowl XLVII Champions
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkee View Post
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Swans vs Power

Probably the best game I've watched so far this year, result not withstanding, with both teams really going at it and giving it their all. Skills were mostly solid from both teams and physicality was high. Umpiring was shithouse for both sides, umpires just decided they'd pay nothing, don't think it had any impact on the result but was frustrating to watch as throws, pushes, punches and all sorts of crap was let go and the stuff they did pay seemed mostly made up. It was a great game of football and one of the worst umpiring efforts.

Power -They had one massive advantage, coaching, and it decided the game in the end. They were hard at it, they defended exceptionally early and then took full advantage of a ton of Swan mistakes to get a huge win. They didn't go sideways nearly as much this week in defense but that's probably a result of the SCG where it's hard to do as the Swans can just press up too hard for it to work and you get lost on the wings/flanks as a result.

Wines - Just a monster game. If he'd give that effort and output consistently he'd become a big option in SC. Love when he plays like that.

Gray - His role was very solid, not sure how much of that is that Wingard and Rockliff are both clearly underdone and being managed through the forward line and how much is just an indicator moving forward. He was good without being great and his ratio seems a pretty decent reflection of that. If that's his role for even half the season he's priority one up forward, imo, as he's a 100+ guy and if it's his role all season he's a 110 guy again.

Westhoff - Rucked the first half and was pretty soundly beaten by Sinclair in the hitout area but was solid around the ground, looked better in the 2nd half when free to roam, not sure how his scoring breaks down though, but he's also got to be a high priority in either of those roles.

Dixon - Just dominated the 2nd half in the ruck. Not only did he annihilate Sinclair in the tapwork but he was even better on the ground, the few times he was out of position in the wrestle he was happy to turn into a rover. Was my best on ground and he's an enormous fantasy option also. He's showed in stints at the GC that he's a 110+ ruckman and given he was a borderline premium level forward last year you can grab him and when Ryder comes back dump him if you can afford it or carry him and still be ahead.

Boak - Think he's the 5th best option for the Power somehow in fantasy terms (Wingard on his way to being cheap basically is his trump). He was exploitative in the 3rd quarter and turned the game, he basically cashed in on a bunch of terrible mistakes by Sydney with maximum penalty and it won the game. His DT shows his overall role though and he's not going to get gifted chances like that to punch out a massive ratio often.

Barry - Was solid again, imo, and did nothing to put his spot in jeopardy. Worked hard both ways which would please the coach I'm sure.

Bonner - Was really solid again, missed what could have been goal of the round and would have put his score in the 90s if he'd nailed it (basically cancelled his 150m gain by missing the goal). Was hurt by being on the bench the two times that Port got waxing down back and the general lack of switching. Still did what he needs to do as a midpricer and I still like him to be able to push the 90 mark, was one of those unlucky 75s that could have easily been higher.

SPP - The unsung hero in this game, put a hard tag on Parker in the 2nd half and basically took him out of the game. The level of success he had would make me think it could be something they use a bit more moving forward.

DBJ - Was back in defense with Gray back in the side. Don't like him as a fantasy option given the requirements under those circumstances.

Wingard - Nick Smith is off to a flyer, he thrashed Wingard who basically got both his goals because of terrible mistakes by other Swans and was otherwise pretty much worthless out there. This is a great result from a fantasy perspective as he should be looking juicy around his bye as an upgrade target.

Rockliff - Clearly struggling for fitness, did have more midfield time than last week by my judgement (he had about 5 minutes though after none last week). Couldn't get near it, he's either going to get fit and fire and be in every team as an "upgrade" or he's going to be in every side next year when he starts as a FWD at 300k...

Howard - Solid outing again, think he'll have more of these games than the massive scores of last week though.

Swans - Soundly outcoached once again, Power came out with a small forwardline in the 2nd half and Horse had literally no answers until 6 unanswered goals later he went to literally his only coaching move "throw Rohan into defense". The guy is a total ****wit that handcuffs this team, I'd almost take a wasted season if you promised me we'd get a new coach from it because the guy is the worst. Never change Horse, just keep being you... Swans were solid in the first half but failed to take our chances, mostly because we still have zero forward structure that isn't "Franklin/Heeney/Papley magic" related. Like we literally only score when those 3 do something special or someone else bobs up once in a blue moon. We also were just awful at locking it in, we kept letting Port get it to their F50 arc before forcing turnovers to go back into attack and then in the 2nd half that stopped working. We also shot ourselves in the foot, almost every Port goal involved an absolute howler by a Swan, I don't know if I've ever seen Rampe, Mills and Grundy make so many awful mistakes, bad Lloyd was back. If McVeigh wasn't there we'd have lost by another 50 the way the other defenders were playing.

JPK - Solid game but really average overall. Didn't use it at all well, probably his best kick was a complete shank that got lucky. He doesn't look as good as a few years ago to me.

Parker - Dominant first half and then copped the SPP tag and just went missing Sloane style. Real concern if other teams notice how he was tagged and how he couldn't offer anything as a result. He was my Crouch replacement at HT but I'm now thoroughly unconvinced.

McVeigh - Was the Swans best player by a mile. He actually looked like his old self and was moving really well. Have to watch him if he's going to continue in that vein of form.

Sinclair - He must have had a good 30 clear hitouts that he couldn't get even close to a Swan and most of the time went a step further and found a Power player. He butchered everything he touched, he dropped every mark he had his hands on. He got mashed by a FF who hasn't rucked in 5 years in the 2nd half. It's hard to put in words just how bad he played. Honestly, we were more competitive when Towers was rucking. I'd like to see Cameron this week, he can't be worse than Sinclair and he's younger and could at least have potential right?

Franklin - Was really solid, starved of chances when the midfield checked out at HT and the structure of basically never wanting to play with even numbers in attack that Horse has always chased makes his life impossible. Like honestly, you'd think a former FF would try and get one on one situations for his forwards but he'd rather have a loose man on the ball and in defense so the opponent can happily have two loose men in defense knowing that 90% of our forward thrusts will go to Buddy.

Heeney - Thought his ratio was pretty generous as I didn't think his game was anything special, couple of good opportunistic plays to create/score goals and was one of our cleanest in the contest but his disposal was pretty shocking to be honest. His role was terrible in Q1 but great from then on, not sure why.

Lloyd - Just a mare for him, must have given up 2-3 goals with terrible mistakes/efforts. Was back in defense more this week and scored much better when Port were playing too tall up forward and then got exposed when the small forward line put some pressure on and he just wilted.

Hanners - Was solid but picked up a knee injury very late. If he can build into fitness he becomes a super cheap option most likely.

Papley - I wish we'd get him more midfield time, he just makes things happen. Alas when your forward structure is kick it long to a contest and hope for miracles and he's one of the few who can produce them he's going to get stuck forward.

Mills - Not his best game but we need to get him more involved in the game. He's one of our only elite kicks and he has 8 for the game. He can't be getting the same amount of kicks as Melican and Grundy!
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Dogs vs Eagles

I watched basically 3.5 quarters of this one, missed a chunk of the 3rd but it was over before half time so I don't think it impacts the overall judgement... Was a pretty awful game, the contrast watching this one and the Swans/Power game was just enormous, this game was soft as butter, Dogs brought zero pressure and the Eagles were at somewhere around a 2 on a ten point scale which was enough on the day but this game was on the Saints/Kangas level only there was even less pressure so they kicked it a bit cleaner. Credit to the Dogs for winning the race to the bottom in this one.

Eagles -
    If you let them funnel the ball to Hurn without any pressure and ski downhill then they'll beat you most days and the Dogs seemed convinced that was the right game plan. Eagles took advantage of the zero pressure and had a very important win. Not the kind of game you'd want to replicate in any way moving forward but confidence and 4 pts is what you take away and move forward with.

Hurn - As mentioned, the Dogs game plan seemed to be "let Hurn kick it as often as possible for the Eagles" and lo and behold that resulted in him destroying them by foot. It was a staggering tactic that had me thinking that Horse was in the box for the Dogs or something. I can't see most AFL sides allowing him to do that but he's now had a couple of strong games to start and he's in play as a fantasy option for sure.

Lycett - Another downhill skier flying away with a zero pressure game. Credit to him for taking advantage of it and putting up a good score, hard to take much from this one though but it's better than his terrible effort against Sydney's equally woeful ruck stocks.

Darling - Another of the notorious Eagles skiers had a great game in a bruise and pressure free environment. Colour me surprised.

Yeo - Was just roaming everywhere, I again noticed him most prominently skulking around half back but his role was strong again and his scoring matched. Strong option.

Gaff - See the Darling description, verbatim.

Ryan - Great game for him, lapped up the zero pressure environment where his weak area wasn't exposed at all and he had plenty of chances to just fly at marks and generally find space. The polar opposite to last week when he had Nick Smith shutting down his every move. I think the boom and bust will be real but this is closer to what I expected than last week in what he can do, obviously temper that with the Eagles probably faced more pressure from the witches hats at training last week and it becomes a 70ish type ability.

NicNat - Really strong junk effort. His TOG is a major concern, his ability to score while on the field is not.

Shuey - Surprisingly little impact for him. He's almost the opposite to the skiers though, he's better in a contest generally so he just took advantage of a chance to rest for a real game.

Venables - Much better outing as well for him. He does a lot of good things.

McGovern - Amazing effort by him really, didn't have much supply, didn't have quality supply because even the Dogs got to make clean entries. Mopped up really well though.

Waterman - Solid enough, again, young KPF this is what I expect from him.

Rioli - Solid game and showed some nice signs. Think he'll score a bit better as he gains confidence but not likely to be relevant.

Dogs - They were awful. I mean they were really bad last week but somehow they got worse this week. How do you have 13 hitouts as a side, how do you average less than 2 tackles per player in response to last weeks embarrassment. How do you get beaten up by the Eagles. They were slow and soft, their complete and utter fall from their flag team is just incredible.

Macrae - Can't question his workrate, he just kept going all game and got the score to show for it. He's one of about 3 Dogs who can hold their head high.

Hunter - Same deal as Macrae basically. Just works really hard all over the field.

McLean - Seemed to get the bulk of the Libba minutes in the midfield and took full advantage. One of the other Dogs that could hold their head.

Dunkley - Got trapped forward a lot. Role wasn't great.

Johannisen - Strong ratio, think it flatters his actual game. That said he looked a hell of a lot better off HB (shocking right?) and is worth watching, looks like he'll get a ton of supply if they keep him there.

Bont - Amazing ratio for him also that to me kind of defied logic, just didn't feel like a huge ratio game given the thrashing they copped and that he wasn't great in any way. His role remains a negative and he doesn't look quite right to me. He almost looks like he has bulked up this preseason in order to be a more effective forward and it's impacted his already shaky mobility, just seems to be getting caught more this year. Watching closely though as his ratios keep him relevant if he and the Dogs start to fire.

Gowers - His kicking was terribad. His marking was sound, needs to provide a lot more pressure, can't not stick a tackle even if I thought it wasn't zero tackle bad.

Naughton - Better game for him, his disposal was pretty awful, just rushed and looked overwhelmed when he won the ball. The positive is that he won the ball a lot more this week. He was shifted forward late which is a bit of a concern for his JS.

Dahlhaus - Mare for him. Role didn't seem to benefit from the Libba injury, if anything it was worse this week. Still worth watching at least.

Richards - Decent debut for him. Did some nice things, did some rookie things but looks to have some potential.

English - Absolute mare for him. To be fair he got stuck forward a lot and didn't get to ruck much at all which given the thrashing and the quality of kicking from the Dogs was basically a fantasy death sentence. I still think the Dogs are playing too tall and will be interesting to see if they stick with him or send him back for a bit more ruck time.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

13. Likes Bunga, Hodges, Wheedus liked this post
    Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    334 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Talk is that Duncan and Ratugolea will be late outs today and there is still some doubt on Cam Guthrie and Stewart too.

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Port proved they're not downhill skiiers yesterday (never were) probably the best 22 in the competition at the moment given the injuries at other clubs.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

FFC Football Operations Manager KickItToButch's Avatar
    Team
    PORT ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The best thing about yesterday's win, was our defence in the 1st Half. Most other teams would've found themselves 5-6 goals down with the amount of ball they had.

When we were under siege from the Sydney midfield with all the i50's they had in the 1st half they were magnificent with the pressure they applied in the sydney forward half which made it very hard for them to get clean looks at all. (buddy aside)

Massive credit to N Bassett for this, he was well known as a very good defensive coach in his day with Norwood and it looks like it's starting to rub off at Port as well.
    Last edited by KickItToButch; 2nd April 2018 at 01:30 PM.

FFC Football Operations Manager Hodges's Avatar
    Team
    HAWTHORN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah Port were super impressive yesterday, showed a lot of composure in the first half before wrestling control of the match in the second. Gray was the big takeaway for mine, second half looked like he was up around the ball a lot - if that continues he is a must have forward. Westhoff went backwards a bit in my rankings, he only had 1 mark till 3/4 time and his best, consistent role is as the marking link man. Late in the last quarter he shifted to be the loose man in defence which is much better for him. It looks like Dixon will need to be the top ruck for Hoff to have that good role and im not sure I want to rely on Dixon staying injury free for that to happen.

Also have the same thoughts on Parker, at half time he was by far the best Crouch option but by the end of the game that had changed completely. SPP did a really good job on him, could tell that Parker was getting frustrated by the attention too. Thinking Oliver is the best like for like swap, but it might be worth grabbing Gray now while he is still priced at a 90 average and pocketing the 100k.

And that Dogs effort was deplorable. Thats two games in a row that their zone has been effortlessly picked apart. They dont have the workrate around the ground to apply pressure the way the top sides do, there were moments where you saw it (Honeychurch was one) and it really stood out because so few Dogs players were doing it. They are just so easy to play against its baffling. Was good to see Wood and JJ back in their natural positions, though JJs disposal at times really hurt. Disappointed that Dunkley got locked forward after being quite good on ball last week, hopefully with Dickson and Redpath to come in he will be freed up a bit more. Hard to score well as a forward in this Dogs team at the moment!
    Only ever talking SC

Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    921 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Love the Wogi reviews of games

Don’t get tempted by the WCE players,honestly the dogs were just putrid & let WCE play the game on their terms which they love.

From a SC perspective, McLean owners should be happy - he is playing a great role & looks to be the main beneficiary of Libba being out.
    SC is FFC's number 1 fantasy game

19. Likes Athomas liked this post
    Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bullies appear hell bent on short kicking and they just kept missing targets. I lost count of how many times they failed to hit a target with a short dicky kick going into 50. More often than not they'd fall short causing a play on and usually a turnover.

The positive for me (being completely selfish) was McLean is looking like being close to their best inside midfielder and his role looks solid.
    Proud coach of Big Jenny Talia FFC
    SC 2013 - 11th
    SC 2014
    - 16th
    SC 2015 and beyond - foetal position

"Yonnies in the wind, we're ruggin' up for winter"

21. Likes dylan123 liked this post