SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Re: JLT Preseason series

Just watched the Crows and Dockers game, probably the highest overall standard of game so far for my JLT experience.

Game was tight, oval was pretty small, more like SCG than other stadiums, and the result was a more physical and tight affair. Crows had a few guns missing but still a strong side, Dockers almost at full strength.

Commentary was surprisingly decent given Derm was involved.

Dockers - Really liked the way they went about it, small forward line and frantic pressure all over the field. Much more suitable for their team than the style they've attempted the past couple of years. They've got a really strong midfield group so makes sense to build on that strength by getting it forward, bringing to ground and locking it in. Not reading much into the epic choke at the end.

Fyfe - Spent more time forward that I'd like but with the small forward line he becomes the main target so it's not that bad, the real question is whether there is enough supply without him in there in the real stuff. He looks super fit and I'm happy to have locked him into my SC side.

Walters - I'm torn on this one. He started in the midfield group and got a few touches but in all honesty the team looked far better in the 4th quarter when he moved forward and Mundy went into the midfield, Mundy is just a better clearance worker and Walters is a much better forward. Will be interesting to watch their next game and get a feel on whether Ross picked this up as well, he just draws and contains the ball as a forward. He scored very well in SC and decently in DT and only seeing his final score I'm not sure where he scored best but I think at this point we know he's not a premium as a full time forward so the midfield time is pivotal. Looks really fit though and still very much on my radar.

Mundy - In an interesting way he's more on my radar and yet I'm not confident either. Started out of the main midfield group and spent most of the game rotting up forward, moved on the ball in the last quarter and turned the game and was huge at clearances. He seemed to be basically swapping with Fyfe for the first 3 quarters and ended up with maybe a 30% midfield split on that exchange, swapped with Walters for basically the entire last quarter though. I liked what I saw, I still think Neale has pushed him from full time mid but he's got upside and keeper potential.

Neale - Super underwhelming game from him, I barely noticed him and yet there he is with basically a ton in both formats, such is his ability to rack up points. No reason he shouldn't be on the radar other than everyone forgetting about him for all the shiny new toys. Looks fit as well.

Wilson - Was actually very impressed by him and yet when I check his score it's woeful, he felt like he was getting a ton of cheap pill and actually did a few nice things defensively, still zero tackles probably sums it all up.

Matera - Played a HFF role with a bit of midfield time. Looked fit and did some nice things, not fantasy relevant in that role other than he frees up Walters and eats a spot that could otherwise be a rookie.

Brayshaw - Exceptional debut. Hard at it, showed some poise with ball in hand and tackles like he's been in the league a lot longer. Did not look out of place in the midfield group and had plenty of time on the ball. Feel very confident in him even at the premium price in SC and still confident enough in DT but he's already got a natural DT game. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up the Dockers 3rd midfielder and averages 80+ at all.

Pearce - Looked really good to me. Super expensive but I don't think he's a terrible alternative to Christensen in that 230k+ range, should have a strong role. Would say a lock if he was 70k cheaper.

Banfield - He was awesome. Hard at it, good pressure and some good finishing as well as a real knack to find where the ball will be. Not sure he's a natural small forward by any means and I think he's more than a bit of Hugh Greenwood last year in him that I think if he can make it stick as a forward he'll then press for midfield time just through workrate alone. You can't do much more than he did to press for a spot in round 1. Bit more mature and ran the game out very well so that's also a positive.

Ryan - I think he's a sneaky option. Took basically all the kickins that Wilson didn't, probably the majority in fact overall, was playing the main intercept role for most of the game and was their best with the ball from the back half. Had an interesting finish to last year with 3 out of 5 games being 100+ and then a 60 and a 32 in the other two where he got stuck in more defensive roles. The concern is that with Wilson there they've already got one guy that they'll be having to swing coverage for because he's awful defensively so they might just free him up instead, the positive is that Ryan is probably the best bet to swing that coverage if they go that route instead. He can average 90+, imo, but you'd need balls of steel to pick him. Bye is probably the tie breaker to end this train of thought.

Giro - Came on for the 2nd half and did some really nice things. Like the look of him, seemed to have a ton of time with the ball and make good decisions and then execute them. Probably a bit down the pecking order but one to watch as a downgrade later in the year.

Cam McCarthy - Is continuing the long running Fremantle tradition of having a guy who just looks like a complete tosspot on their list. Just a filthy looking human by choice, like he was insulted by being called sunshine at the Giants and decided he'd make as many filth driven appearance changes as he could. Also still doesn't look any good at football, basically he can kick at goal if his teammates gift wrap the chance.

Crows - Were missing a few guns but otherwise was a strong side. Plenty to like for them as well but probably harder to get accurate reads with Sloane and Brouch both missing from the midfield and Walker, Betts, Hartigan and Talia also missing that shifts all the forward and back roles around.

Crouch - Looked fit, found the ball at will, used it fairly well. Pretty bruise free effort from him and still found that much of it which is just scary. Had a good connection going with Gibbs.

Gibbs - Basically the same as Crouch to be honest. Wasn't doing anything extra and still found plenty of the pill.

Lynch - Basically the Crows version of Neale for mine, I didn't notice him all that much, few nice things here and there and he ends up with a monster score.

Laird - Perfect role, just sweeping across half back and doing his disposal thing. Still locked.

Dear - Did some nice things but was clearly holding Walker's spot and would likely only play in the event he missed.

Hampton - Seemed to have slid into the Cameron slot early in the game and was solid throughout. Probably the pick of the established names vying for some of the open spots.

CEY - Was also solid, started in the main midfield group, went with Fyfe a bit, drifted forward at times. A nice all round game but nothing special at the same time.

Doedee - Did his candidacy to replace Lever absolutely no harm. Thought he was the best of the 3 KP guys that got serious chances.

Keath - Wasn't far behind him though. Very solid unit.

Lachlan Murphy - Seemed to really only play the 2nd half or late in the 2nd quarter. TOG would back this up as well. He was the Crows Banfield, did everything he could to take a round one spot. If they want to replace Cameron with more of a like for like then he's the guy who is in the lead. Little nugget who just goes at full speed into everything which makes him very dangerous with or without the ball, basically what Cameron was. Base priced DEF so would be great if he forced his way in. No real reason he couldn't score like Cameron the past couple of years in the same role. Body looked more than AFL ready to me which helps the cause.

Fogarty - He's a ****ing unit of a kid. Didn't really do much other than flatten a few guys and I'd say he's behind the eight ball for round 1 selection but certainly could loom as a downgrade target if he does. Genuinely think he'd make Josh Kennedy (Swans) look small if they stood next to each other at a centre bounce. Not sure how his tank is and only played a half which is probably indicative of his spot on the pecking order. Murphy certainly did more for his case for round 1 than Fogarty but if he sure looks like Tarzan out there.

Jacobs - Was soundly beaten by Sandi, including around the ground but was never out of first gear. Did nothing to change anyone's opinion of him I'd wager.

Poholke - Did some nice things as well, bobbed up at important moments. Got the full game and did less than Murphy so would also be behind after that effort but Roo specifically mentioned him as one of the guys vying for the open spots this year (CEY and Hampton were the other two main names so probably indicates his internal ranking a bit). M/F that's worth watching out for. Would think we got a good indicator of his scoring potential and role in this game, he as the guy who started in the Betts position, so was probably the preferred guy to battle Hampton for the Cameron spot.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

2. Likes Bunga liked this post
    Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    922 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Cam McCarthy - Is continuing the long running Fremantle tradition of having a guy who just looks like a complete tosspot on their list. Just a filthy looking human by choice, like he was insulted by being called sunshine at the Giants and decided he'd make as many filth driven appearance changes as he could. Also still doesn't look any good at football, basically he can kick at goal if his teammates gift wrap the chance.
    Laughed out loud at this, pure gold
    SC is FFC's number 1 fantasy game

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    334 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Haven't been able to find out what's going on but Corey Ellis came off early in that first quarter after starting the game and hasn't been back on since. Was looking like a potential low midpricer after last week's performance.

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    334 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Seems he came off under the blood rule with an eye issue. Must have missed it.

FFC Football Operations Manager Nothing's Avatar
    Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    345 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eye injury according to fanfooty.

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    334 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Sounds like he's come back on now, which is good news.

Team
    HAWTHORN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    Haven't been able to find out what's going on but Corey Ellis came off early in that first quarter after starting the game and hasn't been back on since. Was looking like a potential low midpricer after last week's performance.
    Is looking like a good high price rookie pick.

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    334 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elvs1 View Post
    Is looking like a good high price rookie pick.
    Agreed. The only real concern is that he's probably taking the role of Prestia at the moment, who is still possible to be ready for Rd 1.

10. Likes Elvs1 liked this post
    Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    334 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Even with missing a qtr tonight from the blood rule, Ellis didn't really play enough game time and I'm not convinced now that he'll play Round 1.

FFC Football Operations Manager Hodges's Avatar
    Team
    HAWTHORN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He had an awkward looking fall in the second quarter I think it was, looked like a hyper-extension. Noticed in the second half he had taping around one of his knees, so his low TOG might have been attributed to that. That said, I didnt think he did enough to warrant the price tag. Think Zach Guthrie could be a better option at that premo rookie price. Or Aliir if he is going to be the backup ruck.

This game pretty much locked Vlastuin into my side too. 430k defender in SC - played as a small forward for the first third of last year before doing a shoulder, when he came back he settled into a defensive role. Averaged 93 from that point on and also had a very tidy finals series. Think he elevates again this year now that he is settled, looked great early tonight when the heat was on.
    Only ever talking SC

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Hodges View Post
    He had an awkward looking fall in the second quarter I think it was, looked like a hyper-extension. Noticed in the second half he had taping around one of his knees, so his low TOG might have been attributed to that. That said, I didnt think he did enough to warrant the price tag. Think Zach Guthrie could be a better option at that premo rookie price. Or Aliir if he is going to be the backup ruck.

This game pretty much locked Vlastuin into my side too. 430k defender in SC - played as a small forward for the first third of last year before doing a shoulder, when he came back he settled into a defensive role. Averaged 93 from that point on and also had a very tidy finals series. Think he elevates again this year now that he is settled, looked great early tonight when the heat was on.
    Too many cooks in that backline for me to want any part of that. Ellis, Houli, Vlastuin, Broad and McIntosh all like to provide rebound.

Interestingly his scoring coincides with Rance copping tags and defensive attention and he ended up in the intercept role as a result so will be interesting to see if they prefer Vlastuin in that role or Rance and who they work to get into it or if sides keep putting attention into Rance.

Not the worst gamble I guess if he can sustain it, looks like he'll be a complete yo-yo though
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

Team
    CARLTON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Athomas View Post
    Listening to Scott's interview, his first response was that Richmond are playing both Soldo and Nank in this one as well (valid point!)
    He also said he will see what they look like together in JLT2 but also a lot in isolation.
    I wouldn't read too much into it. I assume they'll play a half each with maybe some slight crossover at the same time.
    Haven't seen the game yet but actually pretty pleased with Goldy / North ruck situation last night.

They did indeed play a half each with 0 gametime together (perfect!)

Goldy scored fantastic 65DT / 81SC from his half, I think he'll be clear #1 ruck. If he's playing well, he won't be dropped. If he's not playing well, I'll want to trade him anyway when he's dropped

EDIT: Reading some reports now, perhaps Goldy didn't play as well as his score reflected? Damn life getting in the way of pre-season games!
    Last edited by Athomas; 8th March 2018 at 09:49 AM.
    AFL Twitter --------------------------- This post is SC related--------------------------Movie Twitter

Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    922 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Anyone else underwhelmed by LDU's performances so far? Personally think Brayshaw/Brodie & Dow are better high priced mid rookie options. Brayshaw & Brodie look best 22 for sure, very impressive in their JLT games so far.
    SC is FFC's number 1 fantasy game

Team
    HAWTHORN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bunga View Post
    Anyone else underwhelmed by LDU's performances so far? Personally think Brayshaw/Brodie & Dow are better high priced mid rookie options. Brayshaw & Brodie look best 22 for sure, very impressive in their JLT games so far.
    Yeah, I took him out after his 1st game, the other high priced guys look a lot better. LDU hasn't looked like someone who is going to get many possessions.
    Even last night late in the game he got the ball inside 50 running at goal with a clear shot but game it off to Higgins who got smashed, might be a good team thing but not for fantasy.

17. Likes Bunga liked this post
    Team
    CARLTON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bunga View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvs1 View Post
    Yeah, I took him out after his 1st game, the other high priced guys look a lot better. LDU hasn't looked like someone who is going to get many possessions.
    Even last night late in the game he got the ball inside 50 running at goal with a clear shot but game it off to Higgins who got smashed, might be a good team thing but not for fantasy.
    I still want to pick LDU and I think I will hold firm.

Honestly think he has the best job security of Brayshaw/Dow/Brodie (he just has to play, think he'll play close to every game ) and more defined role (Inside mid - although Brayshaw/Brodie look pretty defined too)

12 possessions, 8CP, 78% TOG game 1.
    16 possessions, 5CP, 74% TOG game 2.

The CP ratio and TOG stats are there, the fantasy points haven't come yet though. Both games were convincing losses and while I expect more of the same this year for North, they do have Suns/Saints/Blues/Hawks in their first 5 weeks so the potential to score a bit better.

He's by no means a must have though now...
    AFL Twitter --------------------------- This post is SC related--------------------------Movie Twitter