CARLTON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    485 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: JLT Preseason series

Quote Originally Posted by Notorious_29 View Post
    The Heath Shaw temptation begins. Makes sense he sees a lot more of the ball with two primary rebounders from 2017 out of the picture. Can he be trusted though...
    Mighty tempting!

Griffen is out tonight who was deployed across half back in the interclub. Phil Davis mentioned Griffen and Cumming as ones that can play that role in 3rd quarter interview. Whitfield been playing across half back a lot too. Finlayson still taking most of the kick-outs, be interesting to see if he's named Round 1. Think he'd keep hold of the kickouts in that case. Shaw has been the first receiver of a lot of the kick-outs though so might not be that detrimental to Shaw.

3QT updates:
    Pies look junk. Not sure how they went from +20.5 to +10.5 for this match. I took GWS -10.5 so happy with that.
    Usual suspects for GWS - Shiel, Coniglio, Kelly. All look good atm with 80%+ TOG.
    Grundy is taking the whole ruck which is interesting. 24 hitouts, Cox 2. Beating Simpson convincingly in hitouts (24-9) but Simpson has been solid around the ground with 9 possessions, 3 marks, 3 tackles , 4 contested possessions.
    Shaw 18 posessions 5 marks.
    Finlayson 11 possessions at 100% DE + 3 kick ins. Considering how inefficient he was in the interclub, I think this is a really good sign for his Round 1 chances.
    Stephenson has looked good again... fantasy numbers not as great though. 9 disposals at 100% DE and 91% TOG, so he's fit.
    Pendles 26DT / 30SC. I think they are just getting the kms through the legs but role is a bit worrying. Starting to think he might have more of an outside role this year.

Nothing too exciting from Keeffe, Giles-Langdon, Mihochek, Appleby. Each has had a few moments.
    AFL Twitter --------------------------- This post is SC related--------------------------Movie Twitter

2. Likes Notorious_29, Bunga liked this post
    Team
    CARLTON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    485 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Q4:
    Pendles back in the mids and had a nice quarter. Will just hope they were giving other players a go tonight. Be good to see CBA numbers from Freako.
    Stephenson had a very unlucky Q4 - which I am pleased about as it will keep his fantasy score low and might scare a few off. His running capacity is very good.
    Grundy was up forward this q (and did nothing basically)
    Finlayson looked good again.
    Intrestingly Lloyd was in the backline a lot (even though he kicked 3 goals )

AT's final thoughts:
    Kelly <3
    Coniglio looked good for those interested in him (a pass for me). 13CP the most for GWS, next highest Ward with 9.
    Shaw is still out of my side, it was a dominating GWS win (10 goals) and was pretty open so he was without an opponent a lot.
    Simpson - If Lobb was out for 4+ I would consider him. A certain no for me if Lobb is named Round 1, probably only just scored well enough tonight with 80% TOG as main ruck.
    Finlayson - will likely be named Round 1. Could be worth a spot on the field for those with 3 rookies (even with 2 he'd be close to the best scoring potential rookie). Just needs a tiny bit more ball which he should get with a couple less players on the field and some more behinds scored by the opponents.
    Langdon - 2 behinds. Would need to be a bit more accurate in JLT2 to get a Round 1 gig. Don't think scoring potential would be great anyway.
    Keeffe - He's depth. Won't play Round 1 and if he does it's as a key defender. Flynn actually was 2nd ruck for GWS with 7 hitouts (I barely noticed him)

Grundy - Dominated Simpson in first three quarters.... then played forward all of Q4 for donuts or close to it. I'm even more confused on this ruck share with Cox. Uncertainty = Pass
    Pendles - Shocking role tonight, looked good when in his usual role in Q4. No doubt a little scary that he can play other positions so could be deployed there at times... Hmmmm
    Appleby - Had a bad game, I wouldn't pick him if named Round 1 anyway.
    Mihocek - Mature age key defender. Had a better game than Appleby but still a no from me.
    Stephenson - Probably exactly what I wanted, 80% TOG, 38DT/47SC so a lot of people will overlook him. As mentioned he was very unlucky at times, and at others his disposal was a little short, but thought he looked very good and hard to score well in a 60 point loss. I'm pretty confident he plays Round 1.
    AFL Twitter --------------------------- This post is SC related--------------------------Movie Twitter

4. Likes Bunga, Notorious_29 liked this post
    Team
    CARLTON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    485 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CBA's - Ward 14, Shiel and Coniglio with 13 apiece. Pendles 16, Brown and Thomas 15 each, Maynard with 12 and none to Adams who played half-back. #JLTSeries #SuperCoach #AFLFantasy

Time to plan some back up options for Pendles

Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Athomas View Post
    Mighty tempting!

Griffen is out tonight who was deployed across half back in the interclub. Phil Davis mentioned Griffen and Cumming as ones that can play that role in 3rd quarter interview. Whitfield been playing across half back a lot too. Finlayson still taking most of the kick-outs, be interesting to see if he's named Round 1. Think he'd keep hold of the kickouts in that case. Shaw has been the first receiver of a lot of the kick-outs though so might not be that detrimental to Shaw.
    Yeah Leon Cameron at half time even said they plan on using Shaw off a wing. And like you've mentioned Finnalyson, Griffen, Whitfield and Cumming off the half back to rebound.

7. Likes Athomas liked this post
    Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Shaw's major drop-off started in 2016 when he lost the intercept role to Tomlinson and Haynes and was compounded last year when Wilson and Williams took the majority of the rebound points.

I think he can probably score very well on a wing as a defensive sweeper type so still very much worth watching.

Does Pendles ever do much in preseason? His biggest issue is he is a good player at any position but only a good fantasy player in the mids. He' not like Danger or Martin where even when resting forward they are the best forward target and thus still score well enough to hold up.

Will hopefully start watching games and adding thoughts over the next few days!
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

Team
    HAWTHORN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree on Shaw, very much in the picture but want to see how he plays in a more contested game, parts of that game last night were so open free flowing which Shaw just eats up.
    Finlayson is good enough to start on the field in SC.
    As AT mentioned Stephenson seem to be on the wrong end of every 50/50 call and a had a lot go against him, but kept working.
    If you like any of Kelly, Coniglio, Shiel you would have been happy with what you saw.
    Would love GWS to come out with some definitive news on Lobb as Simpson would make a great cash making R2 .

10. Likes Athomas liked this post
    Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Elvs1 View Post
    Agree on Shaw, very much in the picture but want to see how he plays in a more contested game, parts of that game last night were so open free flowing which Shaw just eats up.
    Finlayson is good enough to start on the field in SC.
    As AT mentioned Stephenson seem to be on the wrong end of every 50/50 call and a had a lot go against him, but kept working.
    If you like any of Kelly, Coniglio, Shiel you would have been happy with what you saw.
    Would love GWS to come out with some definitive news on Lobb as Simpson would make a great cash making R2 .
    Simpson almost has to play as the R1 at this point you'd think.

Even if Lobb is good to play round 1 he's going to be completely underdone having had basically no preseason for the last 6 weeks or so since the injury was reported and I dare say the rest of it as well given it's a carried over injury. It's not the kind of injury that you really want to be carrying the ruck load one out and the idea of Simpson rucking and Lobb pinch hitting, as he has to date in his career, makes far more sense than Lobb with Keeffe trying to back him up.

Agree though that it would be super nice to get some more information. Certainly some serious backfire capability if he's lone ruck in R1 only to get dropped in r2, which is the massive risk in picking him.

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    334 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quick thoughts on WB v Haw match. Lots of players playing OOP so it's difficult to read too much into some of the scoring, all depends on whether these are new roles or just trying things in preseason.

Premiums:
    Mitchell: Exactly what you'd expect from him. Was the best 4qtr mid on the field, especially in and around the packs. Disposal still a worry but that's nothing new. Strong captain option for DT and a solid SC option.
    Bontempelli: Played forward most of the first half and in the midfield during the second. Typical Bont in that when he won the ball numerous times out of the middle in the third, we scored and that's really where we won the game. Missed two kickable goals which keeps his scoring to a normal level. Great SC option due to the way his ball winning lines up with us scoring.
    Macrae: Played mainly across the wing and half-forward. Great first quarter with 2 goals. Slowed down after that. Lots of HB'ing which isn't ideal from a fantasy POV. Looks good and worth considering in both formats.

Near premiums:
    Sicily: Looks a lock for mine. Played alright, without doing anything special but still racked up 24d and 115 odd SC. Was often the deepest player down back against Wood or Picken. SC lock and DT possible lock, although a slight game plan change from Hawthorn could be a concern.
    Gunston: Fwd all game, didn't do much at all, clear pass for now.
    Dahlhaus: Very similar to last season. Wins a good amount of contested ball and generally used it well, showing with his good SC ratio. Not getting enough of it possession wise and not taking marks or getting enough tackles to compensate. Played forward and mid but a lot of his points were from contested situations down back in general play.
    Johannisen: Played mainly on the wing, with some spells forward. Missed a few kickable goals which would've given him a good score. Was decent but very outside so in this role, his ball use will be need to very good, or he needs to convert his shots.

Midpricers:
    Liberatore: Was alright but nothing special. Good in and under again and worked hard both ways but I don't see him getting back to the elite scoring days.
    O'Meara: Rotating between mid and half-forward. Generally used it well and 1:1 K:HB ratio which was nice but didn't really get enough of it for my liking. My concern is that when he gets more of it, it tends to be handballs and he's someone I'd really want getting more kicks.

Others:
    Williams: Probably the main beneficiary today of the role changes, playing across half back and racking up a lot of it, along with Briggs. Personally he doesn't pass my eye test as I think he's a poor decision maker but did score quite well. Wait and see next week on what role Wood and JJ have.
    Pittonet: Only 32% TOG but scored quite well when on the field as the back-up ruckman. Playing against a very weak WB ruck lineup though so difficult to take too much from it.
    Naughton: Spent a lot of time on Gunston and did a good job. Was beaten a couple of times though by Schoenmakers. Overall did pretty well and his 50-60 scoring range seems quite reasonable. Wait and see if his role changes next week and if he is able to make the team for Rd 1.

Overall game style change: Hawthorn only took the 64 marks today and there was clearly a change from the short kicking style of moving the ball out of the backline to a running, handball style to open up the space. Wait and see if this continues next week as it would be a concern in general for those looking at Hawthorn players, although Mitchell and Sicily are probably the two most are looking at and they didn't appear affected.

13. Likes Notorious_29, Athomas liked this post
    Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    334 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Some SC and CBA numbers from Freako

Final #SuperCoach scorers - Bont 128, Mitchell 122, Sicily and Macrae 114, Libba 100, Crozier 86, Johannisen 83, JOM 79, Naughton 63 and Burton 43.
    Final CBA - Mitchell 21, JOM 17 and Shiels 14. Macrae 17, Bont 15 and Dahlhaus 13.

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    334 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

In the Stef Martin vs Sydney game, Sydney managed to come out on top and emphatically so.

16. Likes Athomas liked this post
    Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    334 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Final #SuperCoach scores - Rampe 149, Buddy 135, JPK 129, Martin 126, Papley 112, Parker 109, Lloyd 104, Christensen 66, Heeney 46, Witherden 38 and Rayner 31.
    CBA's - Parker 16, JPK 12 and Heeney 10. Mathieson 15, Berry 10 and Bell and McCluggage with 7.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

So my preseason has now officially begun!

Watched the Swans vs Lions game, thoughts as follows:

Commentary - Good god was that the cancer of commentary teams... Healy, Derm and Dwayne is just horrible, hearing Gerard talk about ankle strapping with the whole "I know all the studies say it does nothing but I don't understand why teams don't force their players to do it because I think it's voodoo" was painful but not even a top 10 "moment". **** me.

The Game - Was Crap. Lions were soft so it was super hard to read basically anything out of it because I'm pretty sure the intra-clubs were played with more intensity.

Umpiring - Really solid, the girl in particular had a super harsh HTB interpretation all game that I loved, you throw it on the ground with her and she pings you, was beautiful. Otherwise was rock solid which of course had the idiots in the box chirping and showing off that they actually know nothing about the rules all game, which was less fun.

Swans - Looked to be trying to play a high possession, short kicking style, not sure if that's just because the Lions kept turning it over and refused to man up or apply pressure or a tactical move, given it's basically the complete opposite of our sides skillset and our coach is a moronic simpleton, I dare say it was a tactical change.

Parker -Started in the mids and just kind of floated around all game, not really his sort of game with the highly uncontested nature but he looked in good nick and was dangerous up forward.

Sinclair - Started as the #1 ruck and was soundly beaten, then rolled an ankle in Q3, didn't look too bad but will hear more. Not sure why Horse likes him so much.

Heeney - Started forward and spent most of the game forward, did move on ball in the 2nd half for spurts but he really didn't show an awful lot, again hard to read as the game was so uncontested that his gut running to make space wasn't needed and his contested skills weren't needed but positionally I didn't really like it to be honest. His CB numbers are a bit inflated by being in the 2nd half when there were a ton of soft goals kicked.

JPK - Looked fit and firing. The biggest positive was him really taking advantage of the open game and getting a ton of cheap points, something that was missing a lot last year. Was using the ball well for him as well.

Mills - Always surprises me how bad his fantasy score is because he seemed to be everywhere. Really solid game but was purely in defense like in previous years and as always there are just too many cooks down there to be fantasy relevant in that role. Was really solid.

Lloyd - Was taking most of the kickins, Mills took the others, and was good by foot. Found plenty of space and was a bit surprised by how low his score was as well. If the changes to how the Swans played are tactical he'll be a massive benefactor as it's his biggest strengths.

Fox - 230k MID is a very interesting prospect, played full time in defense, admittedly I'd suggest he was just filling McVeigh's spot, but he was really solid, his run and contest are great but his disposal was super dodgy which is a potential issue. I doubt he's fantasy relevant but again if he can hold the spot (McVeigh can always move forward) and we play that tactic he will score very well.

Stoddard - Was really impressive playing on a wing. Skinny but quick with a really nice looking left peg on him. 117k DEF so very viable option if he's named in R1, type of rookie who could have a couple of really decent scores as well. JS would be a major issue as lots of the kids were solid and I get the feeling the game style suits him as he didn't show any real contested attributes except one well read intercept mark.

Papley - Was everywhere with a ton of midfield time. He basically played the role I expected from Heeney and vice-versa. He was already on my watch list but he's certainly moved up it after this game, looks super fit and was just about our best, imo.

Franklin -
    Stud, looks fit and played 3.5 quarters, was his standard role where he gets high at times and deep at others. Stock standard really.

Newman - Was playing mid and forward mostly, didn't get enough of it though and he's one of the guys whose position is under threat for sure.

Cunningham - **** he's awful. Fumbled everything, shit skills, god I hope he doesn't play this year.

Cameron - Was manhandled by Martin when rucking, missed both his set shots when forward and gave away a lot of bad free kicks. Tough to see him playing other than the fact that Horse is a moron and likes to try and play 3 or 4 ruckmen if he can. Naismith was a late out (easily our best ruckman) and Towers was still the R2 all game with Cameron really only getting run after Sinclair was hurt and for a bit at the end of the first. Would take injuries or a serious form reversal or yet another Horse brainfade at the selection table to play early, imo.

Rampe - Was everywhere and really benefited from the game style as well. Think he'll get too many lock down roles as usual but I still really like him in that intercept 3rd tall role.

Jack -
    Looked really fit and had a really nice role as a HFF/MID. He's actually a sneaky option this year after his horrid preseason and form early last year but probably not due to the durability issues that caused that. Still was good to see him moving so well again.

Florent - Was really impressive, still super skinny but certainly a lot harder this year, at 245k he's probably too expensive given I see almost zero keeper potential from him but he certainly showed some good things.

Rose - Was also really active, I don't think we can fit everyone in but he's dirt cheap and looked to be working a lot harder than in the past couple of seasons so worth a look. Scoring potential is all over the shop but if picked for round 1 he's at least worth a look.

The Lions - They were really, really bad. I have no idea what their gameplan was unless it was kick to the Swans and don't tackle them. It's hard to read much of anything given the names that were out and the way they played...

Rayner -
    Played mostly forward and in for a long year, McCluggage last year a pretty solid comparison. Has got a serious leg on him on both sides though and he showed some nice things. With all the mids that are out I can't see how he's getting more midfield time any time soon so I'm not sure he's worth the premium as a result.

Martin - Was dominant and their only winner on the day. We all know what he can do as the #1 ruck and they had McStay and Walker as the R2 in H1 and H2 respectively so he got to do that. Looked super fit and moving well, all depends on the Archie issue really.

Bell -
    Had a good role, 290k forward who has posted borderline keeper numbers before when playing as a midfielder. Again with the guys they had out it's hard to say if he just got minutes because of that or will genuinely play there.

Christensen -
    Kind of the opposite of Bell, his bad role pretty much confirms that will be his role and honestly I wouldn't expect significantly better scoring than he had this game the way they played, realistically the two sides were missing about the same amount of top liners so it's a fairly fair reflection of how bad the Lions are. Was a FP/HFF who occasionally pushed higher but mostly stayed nearer goal, didn't like it.

Robinson - Similar tale to Bell really, bit less mid time but played a higher HF role. Pass for mine though, just not cheap enough and too many negatives.

Witherden - Had one of the worst games I've ever seen at AFL level, I have legitimately zero idea how his ratio was neutral or to be honest how he even scored positively in SC. He had I believe 3 kicks that went out on the full, 3 more that were direct turnovers resulting in goals, I guess all his handballs hit the target based on his stats at the end but he was just awful. Based on what I've seen I'm happy to call it "just one of those days" but he was also locked in a back pocket for the whole game. Did take kick ins which is a positive if he remembers how to kick, was the kind of performance that can scar a kid though so hopefully he moves on. Still on my watchlist though...

Berry/Barrett/Keyes/Allison/Mayes -
    Just killing 5 birds with one stone but they all showed nothing. Berry had a lot of midfield time but was allergic to the ball and contact.

Mathieson -
    Was probably the best Brisbane mid on the day, hard as nails, good midfield time, I actually moved him a long way up my watchlist, he's a 400k M/F this season who I think can be their best contested midfielder and is perfectly capable of a 95+ average in SC in a bull role and the bad team factor shouldn't hurt him too much. Will be watching very closely in their next game, looks stronger/fitter than the past, almost looks athletic now.

McCluggage -
    Didn't really do anything special, he really doesn't look like he hit the gym at all over the offseason and he still looked generally off the pace. There's certainly talent there but he looks a solid year or two from realising it still, imo.

Jack Payne - Was probably the most fantasy relevant of them all, somehow, big lump of a kid playing as a KPD/3rd tall type. He's absolutely got to be in the reckoning for a round one gig based on what I saw and their lack of good KP players. Looked to read the ball well, was super aggressive and wasn't afraid to take chances. Made some mistakes with the ball but was very solid without it. I was actually quite impressed, little bit of McGovern in the way he moved at the same kind of size. 117k defender who rocketed onto my watch list.

Rich - Still in a rebounding role, should score similarly to last year. The Hodge factor will be interesting with him as could certainly help his scoring out. He's on my watchlist though, legit premium defender candidate.

Cameron - Similar role to Christensen only a bit higher. No significant midfield action to make me think he's going to break out or anything.

Hipwood -
    Playing noticeably higher up the ground, still the team can't kick so it doesn't really help. He's a legitimately talented player though, he could be a superstar if the team can get decent.

19. Likes Wheedus, Athomas, KickItToButch liked this post
    FFC Football Operations Manager KickItToButch's Avatar
    Team
    PORT ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    Final #SuperCoach scores - Rampe 149, Buddy 135, JPK 129, Martin 126, Papley 112, Parker 109, Lloyd 104, Christensen 66, Heeney 46, Witherden 38 and Rayner 31.
    CBA's - Parker 16, JPK 12 and Heeney 10. Mathieson 15, Berry 10 and Bell and McCluggage with 7.

Heeney to Buddy me think.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

So got done with the Demons vs Kangaroos...

Garry Lyon was a refreshing commentary addition, I'm sure I'll get sick of him and it's probably just the comparison being Derm and Healy but he was good, which given I don't like him generally is a great outcome.

This was a surprisingly relevant game with both teams fielding close to best 22 sides and for the most part had guys playing roles that are expected.

Demons - Looked really impressive. Strong structures, fit and very aggressive. Liked what I saw.

Gawn - Beastly, looked back to his best. Lock and load.

Petracca - Really liked what I saw. Lot of midfield time, started the first bounce on ball, found plenty of it, didn't use it that well by his standard but was very good.

Oliver - Copped a hard tag from Jacobs who was wearing him at most stoppages, great practice for the real stuff. Looked super fit and had a strong connection going with Gawn as well.

Hogan - Looked super fit, was having some good stints on the ball but looked most dangerous in the forward line. Probably just a bit too expensive but wouldn't shock me if he's in the low 90s this year. Probably gun to my head I'd take Petracca of the two options though.

ANB - Also looked really fit, extreme workrate and a genuine option as well, ball use probably makes him a strong DT option but if he can get enough of it consistently he can matter in both formats. Like the above two, probably a bit too expensive which forces him to be a keeper or bust basically. Role was more boom or bust as well as a more genuine HFF to my eye.

Salem - Had a great role, he was the third in the starting midfield group and had a lot of midfield time. Was basically always around the pack but didn't score that great. His durability record probably doubles down to remove him from my thoughts but he's still on the watchlist if he shows something next game.

Hibberd - Looked really fit and scored well but I did come out of this game with more concerns than anything on starting him. Lewis moved back and was the main man before he pinged his calf, if he's there ready for round 1 then there is some cannibalism to be happening. Lever also still has no interest in manning up and looks set for a pure intercept role which means guys like Hibberd will have to cover for him when he goes Rambo mode but also that he will steal marks. Throw in Vince down there and I just wonder if there will be enough pill to have upside. Think he's pretty safe to be the 95ish guy he's been in the past though so not a bad pick just one that I think makes sense as an upgrade target also with just a few worries to make starting him a bit riskier.

Brayshaw - Didn't do a lot. Just seems to stuck playing a bit outside when he's clearly an inside guy. This was without Viney and Tyson as well who really just push him further down the pecking order for mine.

Harmes - Is another FWD at 400k who flashes potential to be more than that. I think ultimately they might just have too many cooks both on the HFF and HBF where it will be great from a football perspective but sabotages their fantasy relevance.

Fritsch - Did some really nice things. Does not look like a high possession guy and is probably going to rely on goals but certainly put his hand up for round 1. Reminds me a bit of Florent/Hayward last year at Sydney though from a fantasy perspective where I think his role will lead to struggles scoring (Parsons at Geelong another example). That said he does everything pretty nicely out there so might have potential to surpass all those names.

Corey Maynard - Looked pretty decent. Looked him up and he's too expensive but did some nice things.

Kangas - They fielded an almost full strength side (from what I can tell they're missing about 3 best 22 guys. Which kind of makes it scary given they got destroyed and it wasn't even through a lack of effort, I actually can't question that area of their game. Just the disposal, structure and tactics seemed awful.

UDL - He looked really solid. Quite possibly even worth the premium, he didn't score well and he turned it over on a lot of his early possessions but he got better as the game went on and his role was top notch, started on ball a fair bit and as I said, this was basically a full strength NM side playing something akin to their actual structures.

Goldy - Was soundly beaten in every way by Gawn and to be honest he was one of the few Kangas whose effort was questionable. I almost feel like I'm falling into starting him by process of elimination but I really don't want to because he just didn't show any spark which given all the questions over his attitude and lack of effort the past 18 months was really all I wanted to see from him. Physically he looked alright though he was dominated by Gawn so his next hit out is super important to see if that was more Gawn, who looked awesome, or Goldy.

McDonald - Has some all time bad hair going on, that's for sure. He was invisible other than the hair. Did nothing to make me want to pick him, that's for sure but still on my watchlist. Seemed to be on the wing rather than in the guts, which isn't a good sign either.

Jacobs - Straight back into tagging and not caring about the pill, even at 200k he's a hard sell because he's got a proven terrible scoring history.

SDT - One of the few positives in their absurd structure was him being freed up significantly to go back to a more 3rd tall (even if he was actually the 5th tall) intercept role, took a few kickins (Marley took most of them though) and looked good in general.

Hartung - Did some nice things, some really good run and carry and some awful kicking. Interesting to see where he fits in, one of the few Kangas who can actually run and carry and one of the many who can't kick which seems to be a real focus of their recruiting department. Don't think he can go near premium level so strong pass for mine.

Zurhaar - Came on in the 2nd half and actually did some nice things but he's 190k and he wasn't that good to justify paying it.

Marley Williams - Did some nice things, took most of the kickins. Based on the Kangas side he should have an awful lot of supply this year.

Daw - Was beaten for a lot of goals that weren't really his fault but I thought he did some nice things and showed some signs. I just don't know how they can pick all their talls, they were clearly too tall for Melbourne, who are pretty tall themselves.

Overall the Kangas were just outclassed in every way. It will be interesting to see how many of the KPD they end up playing, even EVW and Hibberd are more small KP guys than actual small defenders, they seem to have basically recruited to defend Horse's insane love of KPF and ignored the trend of the AFL so will be interesting.

Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    921 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Big news in the WCE v Freo practice game currently, Vardy has been carried off by the trainers - looks like he has done a groin.
    If so, Lycett looms large as a cheap R2.
    SC is FFC's number 1 fantasy game

23. Likes Wheedus liked this post