Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: JLT Preseason series

Anyone considering taking NN if he is named round 1?

Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking at the Eagles’ season launch at Optus Stadium, Naitanui said he had ‘hit the numbers he needed’ in a gruelling session at the club, while Adam Simpson backed him to push for selection."Medically, he's fine. Now it's just about getting the conditioning element ticked off," Simpson said after the launch.
    "He played last week for 60 minutes. We trained him up today - we had an 80-minute session.
    "He seems to have gotten through that. Now it's a bit like every week - it's how he pulls up.
    "If he pulls up well, we'll consider him for selection.
    "He's delivering everything we're asking of him. Now it's just going to be whether it's round one or round two."
    https://thewest.com.au/sport/nic-nai...-ng-b88776949z

Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    922 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I think he is a big chance of being rested/managed throughout the season, the slightest niggle & he will be held back, McInnes fills in.

Nank the tank train is leaving the station soon, toot toot
    SC is FFC's number 1 fantasy game

4. Likes Notorious_29 liked this post
    Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    334 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Adams being out for 10-12 weeks is a huge, huge blow for the Dogs. As Elvs mentioned above, all but locks Naughton into the starting 18 now, even if Wood goes back. Only negative is that Naughton might be asked to play a more defensive role but he's a natural interceptor and reader of the play so I think he can still score 50dt/70sc or similar.

6. Likes Notorious_29 liked this post
    Team
    HAWTHORN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    Adams being out for 10-12 weeks is a huge, huge blow for the Dogs. As Elvs mentioned above, all but locks Naughton into the starting 18 now, even if Wood goes back. Only negative is that Naughton might be asked to play a more defensive role but he's a natural interceptor and reader of the play so I think he can still score 50dt/70sc or similar.
    Any chance Wood would stay forward and maybe Collins gets a run?

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    334 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elvs1 View Post
    Any chance Wood would stay forward and maybe Collins gets a run?
    At this stage, Roberts and Young would still both be ahead of Collins who imo, probably won't make it at AFL level.

9. Likes Elvs1 liked this post
    Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bunga View Post
    I think he is a big chance of being rested/managed throughout the season, the slightest niggle & he will be held back, McInnes fills in.

Nank the tank train is leaving the station soon, toot toot
    I understand that line of thinking but realistically how often are guys rested outside of the last 4-5 weeks of the season. I used to have the same opinion with Sandi but once the season gets underway that line of thinking usually goes down the drain, if they're fit they play. Every game, every win becomes extremely important as the season develops.

It's a genuine concern though, two years out of the game - would be quite surprising to see him play 22 games.

Super Moderator
    Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    491 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter PosterFFC Blogger
    Fyfe Award - for outstanding contributions - Outstanding contributions accross the FFC and forwardpress blogs. A huge amount of work completed by Hedge so our thanks go out!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Notorious_29 View Post
    I understand that line of thinking but realistically how often are guys rested outside of the last 4-5 weeks of the season. I used to have the same opinion with Sandi but once the season gets underway that line of thinking usually goes down the drain, if they're fit they play. Every game, every win becomes extremely important as the season develops.

It's a genuine concern though, two years out of the game - would be quite surprising to see him play 22 games.
    The bigger concerns are;

a) Does he ever get back to his best? The guy has perhaps the best physical/athletic profile in this history of the game, so to what extent does an ACL ("car-crash" type injury so not just a simple ACL) with some unknown complications that's putting him in doubt 18 months post injury hamper his ability to play. Trying not to be too pessimistic because he's an awesome player to watch, but if he does get back to anywhere near his best it is highly unlikely to be in the first 12 weeks of the season.

b) No Priddis - I remember reading that the Naitanui - Priddis combination was the most statistically dominant around the time of NicNat's awesome run of scoring.
    Anyone
    Anywhere
    Anytime

Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly I don't think we've even seen 'his best' yet. I think he's capable beyond what he has produced to this point.

There's obvious risks with picking him for sure. It's not a play for the faint hearted.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

NicNat is an interesting one.

He's value even if he only gets back to 90% of his best but he has to get back to his best to be a keeper which is really what you'd normally need at that price.

I think he's a massive chance of being rested, the fact that he's so far removed from his injury and still has had issues with soreness and the like indicates to me that he's going to really struggle to play every game which means you almost have to handcuff him with Lycett and that removes all his value at that point.

He's basically 12 months behind a bad recovery from an ACL because of complications and pain in the joint, I don't think it's realistic to think all that goes away because he got through a half a WAFL game and a controlled 80 minute training session.

At the end of the day at his price he needs to become a keeper and with zero ruck coverage this year I think he's just asking for donuts.

I still prefer Martin, Goldy or Nank for breakout/back options or Kreuzer or Ryder for the safer options. All of them have similar realistic ceilings to NicNat this year, imo, and are much more likely to play 22 games.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Last of the JLT2 games done and dusted, finishing with comfortably the worst game to read into..

Eagles were shocking, not sure what Simpson said at half time but I assume it was "stop trying so hard" because from QT onward they were pathetic. Hard to read much into either side given that, cues were in the rack midway through the third quarter but both teams mostly held the structures so I guess we role from there...

Freo - Felt like the classic example of the Eagles being terrible more so than the Dockers being particularly good, they were pretty sloppy with the pill themselves but their pressure was considerably better and they dominated the stoppages to get the ball into their half where bad kicking was less of a factor as the Eagles would just butcher it back to them and give them a second chance.

Neale - Was prolific. Role was great. Really he ticked all the boxes and he's a legitimate option going into round 1.

Taberner - Surprisingly good game, perhaps most relevant was that he rucked well enough to really justify them rolling with just Sandi. Still runs himself under the ball a lot which against better defenders than Barrass (good intercept player but poor in one on one situations) he'll get worked out of it constantly. Still was impressive for him given he's been nothing short of horrific to this point in his career. He does look to have more confidence right now.

Ballantyne - Monster game, not fantasy relevant other than what he allows others to do but he actually looks fit and back to what he does best.

Ryan - Had the loose role across half back, wouldn't expect such exquisite delivery from the opposition or a complete lack of pressure in the real stuff but he reads it really well and he uses it really well. Certainly did his case no harm as a smoky pick. Like that he kind of offers the best of Wilson and Johnson in one package which means he makes the most sense as the main intercept/rebound guy rather than spreading that role across two people.

Fyfe - Spent an absurd amount of time forward and most of the fourth off the ground and still tonned up. Looks super fit which is of course his biggest issue. Locked him away myself in SC.

Mundy - Was surprised how poorly he scored to be honest (90s...) as he was everywhere. Role considerably better than last week, heavy midfield minutes and he looks fit again after a couple of poor years. He didn't play most of the fourth either from what I saw so I guess his score is better than it seems but he must have been about 80/20 midfield time in this one. He's the Docker who moved way up my radar and is right in the mix.

Wilson - Solid outing. Like Ryan, wouldn't expect it to be kicked to him on his own by the opponents so often but he did a lot of nice things. Still think that Tuohy is a decent comparison for what he can do going from 3rd rebounder to the top couple, which I think falls in the not quite enough zone unfortunately.

Walters - He's a real gun but I didn't like his role in this game, was primarily a high HFF with very small bursts in the midfield and significant bursts as the deepest forward. When they win that role will be fine but it's the kind of role that's hard to score if they're not winning and I still have no read on where they're at as a side.

Brayshaw - Seriously impressive kid. Locked for mine. Good role, good game.

Banfield - His role isn't great still but he's a really good player by the looks of him. Just gets around the football and applies a lot of pressure if he doesn't win it himself. Like him as a bench option.

Blakely - Playing in defense which does give me a slight too many cooks feel with Ryan and Wilson also back there as prolific types.

Sandilands - Just straight dominated while he was out there. Missed a chunk in Q1 getting a cut sorted out and sat out the 4th so just a monster score. He does look really fit. The Darcy factor and his durability make him a really hard sell but he's cheap and that 2nd ruck spot is a disaster so why not pick what on paper seems the biggest disaster pick and go with it?

Pearce - Solely relevant in LOL for mine but he looks really fit and ready to get back to it.

Matera - Like Ballantyne basically. Played well, good pressure.

Johnson - Ryan was clearly the preferred loose man for mine, be interesting if that remains against teams that aren't playing 3 talls like the Eagles did but a good sign for Ryan.

Eagles - The only defense I can come up for them was that they only played 22 and that Rioli went off in the first quarter and never returned leaving them down a man in hot conditions with plenty of slightly underdone guys. Still, they went from pretty decent in Q1 to outright terrible in the 2nd and onward. Not sure if it's the best or worst part that it was primarily their stars that were the worst of the bunch. Hated that their defensive style seems to be based on corralling rather than tackling. Not sure if it's a gameplan or not but they did not look to tackle when they could, almost like they watched how Richmond won the flag and decided "lets do the opposite and see how it goes".

Duggan - Interesting game for him, he could be relevant in DT formats if the Eagles are going to be this bad regularly though the way he used it they probably hope he isn't...

McGovern - Was the only Eagle who could say he had a good game for mine. Was involved in everything and if he wasn't there I imagine the margin would have been in the 150 range. Looks really good in his big contract year and if the Eagles are bad he's a benefactor for sure.

Yeo - Had a mare, basically turned it over on every touch, was kind of tagging Fyfe but not stopping him or getting it himself. My concerns on his scoring as a midfielder only remain after this hitout.

Jetta - Playing HB, taking kick ins and was one of the Eagles better players, he wasn't good but he wasn't as awful as most. Looks better in that role in allowing the play to come to him instead of forcing him to work for space. Mostly mentioned for the factor he's taking kickins a lot which hurts Hurn.

Gaff - Was playing in the guts a fair bit which is like the anti-role for him, he basically can't win a contest so he's worthless there but also doesn't know how to spread at all so he's not even getting dangerous outside ball. Just put him back on the wing and let him do what he's genuinely elite at. No interest in him after this game as well, it's really hard to not overreact to a performance like the Eagles but his best scoring will happen in a team that wins the ball for him and uses it decently, the two things the Eagles looked worst at.

Lycett - Honestly didn't think he was that bad... He got smashed by Sandi in the ruck, which everyone does, and he got a bit too adventurous with ball a few times leading to FA and turnovers but I thought he worked hard for the most part and battled well. As bad as his score is and as poorly as he played, I didn't hate his game. I still have no interest in him being on the field but I still don't hate him as an R3.

Cole - Was one of the Eagles better players, looked composed with the ball, actually hit targets. Solid game and has to be a real chance for a R1 gig as a rebounding HB type which can score very well. Very much in the equation.

Hurn - Probably the worst game I remember him playing. Must have dropped 5 uncontested to barely contested marks, kicked like he hadn't seen a football in his life and was beaten regularly in one on ones. Biggest note though was that Jetta was stealing a significant amount of his kickins which is enough for me to pass on him (McGovern is my Eagle).

Ryan - Had the play of the game. Was great in Q1 when he had supply and didn't do much else from then on. Was playing mostly deep forward and hard to judge him with zero supply, didn't push up much though even as the ball was locked at the other end which given he's a good target is a shame and limits his fantasy value. Solid bench option and would be a solid loophole guy as will be active in Eagles wins but not a guy I'd like to be stuck starting outright. Shocked if he doesn't get at least a month to prove he doesn't belong and would be surprised if he did prove that based on what I saw.

Waterman - Far from their worst. Be interesting to see what path the Eagles go with their structure but he put his hand up. Would go out for Kennedy right now but given Darling was awful, again, he'd at least have a chance to steal that spot if he gets games.

Darling - I don't know what happened to the exciting rookie with the manic workrate and defensive pressure. Not sure there is a lazier Eagle at this point.

LeCras - If there is though, it's him. He made one of the all time worst tackle attempts I've seen on Wilson, Wilson standing still, dead to rights pretty much just winked and LeCras fell off him and lay on the ground letting him run away.

Venables - He's basically in the Ryan class from this game. Role is not fantasy friendly, primarily deepish forward and he doesn't do much to get involved when the supply isn't there but what he did was pretty damn solid. Looks to have a good leg and some wheels on him. Did seem to get more mid time as the game went on and was more active in that role. Be interesting whether he can get the right role and be startable or stuck forward and not be startable.

Redden - Bad Redden was back. The one who just kind of chills around and doesn't offer much. Hard to read as that seemed to be the team's strategy but not a good sign for a guy who when he put up borderline premium numbers was borderline crazy in preseason games as well.

Shuey - Mare of a game. Looked completely off the pace. Again, not sure if symptom of the team or bigger concern.

Ainsworth - Looks so far off the pace it's not funny. Not sure why he's getting a game as he looks like he needs at least a season in the WAFL.

Rioli - As mentioned above, injured, allegedly an ankle from Simpson (who seemed way to quick in wanting to end the questioning from Pav) but the commentary team were pretty sure it was a knee given that's what was iced and all that. Wouldn't expect we see him any time soon, could pop up as a good downgrade target at least.

15. Likes Crow-mo, Athomas, Hodges liked this post
    FFC Senior Assistant Coach Drewy_GFC's Avatar
    Team
    GEELONG
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

@Wogitalia your JLT player reviews were an absolute godsend for my UF draft. Bless you sir.
    Twitter--- @coolingandy

17. Likes Wogitalia, Crows88 liked this post
    Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Drewy_GFC View Post
    @Wogitalia your JLT player reviews were an absolute godsend for my UF draft. Bless you sir.
    Haha, glad to have helped.

Disclaimer: not my fault when it goes tits up