WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    921 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Re: 2018 Planning

Just put together a quick SC side using a bye planner also :-

1-10-9-10 breakdown for the bye rounds is a nice balance.
    SC is FFC's number 1 fantasy game

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

The Danger question is an interesting one but it's hard to see it hurting Danger, imo. I think it's Menegola and the guys behind him who all go down a rung that are the ones who get hurt most likely. I also expect they'll try and balance the midfield so that one of Ablett, Danger and Selwood are always in it.

Ultimately I don't see why it would really hurt Danger a lot, he's still their best player, still their #1 and still the best at extracting. The biggest risk might be the cheaper points around the ground where Ablett is his match.

There is also the element of whether Ablett can stay fit, I put an awful lot of it down to the GCS medical staff but he's been a mess recently and just getting older.

At the end of the day though, the biggest factor for me is the captaincy factor. Danger is the clear best captain option every week and if you don't start him and he starts big you could be giving up 70-100 points a week on that factor alone.

I think the realistic scenarios are as follows:

a) He's better from having more help where it's impossible to put any extra attention into him at stoppages and he becomes even more dangerous. Similar to how Ablett's highest SC season remains with Geelong in a similar scenario. Obviously you get killed in this scenario for not starting him, he'll cost more, it will be a nightmare 3 trade upgrade and the captaincy element kills you.

b) Status Quo. Here you probably still face the 3 trade scenario and captaincy killing so it's again a loss.

c) Slight drop off, lets say he drops back to 125-130 range. He's still likely taking 3 trades to get to, he's still the best captain option and still going to hurt you for not having him.

d) Injury or significant drop off. The only winning scenario, where he drops probably 20+ points average and gets into two trade range as well as probably not providing the monster captain scores that can break you. Having said that, even with a 20-25 point drop off he'd still be a keeper pick and a couple of trades to deploy elsewhere.

On those options I'd say d) is the least likely. Danger has missed 4 games in the last 7 years, 1 of which was the suspension last year and nothing he's said or done in his career indicates to me that he's ready to stop being an animal. Ablett, decimated by injury and aging rapidly, only dropped 20 odd points from his peak powers for example over the last 3 years and Danger is in that class of player.

If you asked me to give those percentages I'd probably say it's 20%/30%/30%/20% a/b/c/d of happening, which means I'm going with an 80% chance that not starting him is a costly move.

For mine, Martin keeps falling into the same category because of his captaincy potential and the now favourable CD treatment he is receiving. That favourable treatment is very hard to lose once you get it and being the first player to win the Brownlow, Norm Smith and a flag in the same year has earned it.

Going to be an interesting year, rucks look set and forget right now. Forwards and backs have massive structural questions and the mids are a super tough decision of chasing value or paying top dollar. Ultimately though I still think you hunt value in the backs and forwards where the margin for error is greater.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

3. Likes Bert1, Bunga liked this post
    FFC Football Operations Manager KickItToButch's Avatar
    Team
    PORT ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some info re rookies.

5. Likes Bert1, Crows88 liked this post
    FFC Football Operations Manager KickItToButch's Avatar
    Team
    PORT ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

some more

7. Likes dylan123, Wheedus, Athomas, Bert1, Crows88 liked this post
    Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    921 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The SC Gold Team Picker has officially closed, some interesting stats have been revealed.

The top 20 most picked players by gold users in the 2018 team picker are :-

1. Max Gawn 81.80%
    2. Nic Naitanui 74.60%
    3. Nat Fyfe 66.50%
    4. Rory Laird 61.10%
    5. Isaac Heeney 58.10%
    6. Jarrod Garlett 53.10%
    7. Dustin Martin 50.00%
    8. Patrick Dangerfield 49.80%
    9. Tom Mitchell 48.20%
    10. Luke Davies-Uniacke 48.10%
    11. Cam O’Shea 47.10%
    12. Jack Higgins 46.00%
    13. Patrick Cripps 43.50%
    14. Grant Birchall 37.80%
    15. Tim Kelly 37.60%
    16. Tom Doedee 35.50%
    17. Cameron Rayner 34.60%
    18. Paul Ahern 34.00%
    19. Elliot Yeo 32.50%
    20. Sam Murray 32.30%

9. Likes Athomas liked this post
    Team
    CARLTON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    485 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cripps the one that surprised me here
    AFL Twitter --------------------------- This post is SC related--------------------------Movie Twitter

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Paul ahearn? is he still alive
    TEX WALKER. that is all.

Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    921 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Crow-mo View Post
    Paul ahearn? is he still alive
    Apparently :-

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...65e07ed9e8814a

FORGOTTEN North Melbourne youngster Paul Ahern hopes to be a role model for *future draftees who may be dealt serious injury setbacks.

The untried former GWS Giants No.7 draft pick, who ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament twice in five months in 2016 before a trade to North Melbourne, will use AFLX and JLT Series to stamp his Round 1 credentials.

“I want to try and show people, no matter how big the setback, you can always get back and play some really good footy,” Ahern told the Herald Sun.

“If they have a setback like a knee or an ankle it’s not the end of the world — if you work really hard in rehab you can really go places.”

The Kangaroos were prepared to be patient, signing Ahern, now 21, knowing he would not play — at any level — in 2017, regardless of any fitness and physical gains.

The mandated time off was designed to give Ahern peace of mind with his knee, to focus on rehabilitation, and “listen” to his body.

“No, it didn’t really bother me at all, I just really wanted to get into my rehab,” Ahern said.

“It was a good thing, I didn’t have to focus on trying to get back and playing games.

“I could take my time and really focus on ... working hard in the gym and fixing areas that needed improving strength wise.”

Ahern has been in full training since November — 14 months after second reconstruction — without any knee issues.

The 183cm midfielder, who last played for the Giants’ reserves in 2015, could be trialled in the backline next month, with the Kangaroos desperate for rebound and polish up the ground.
    http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...65e07ed9e8814a

13. Likes Crow-mo liked this post
    Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    921 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

What are people thinking regarding the R3 spot?

We know Cameron is the most likely base priced rookie to get games given the ruck crisis the swans have but I think they are going to go with Sinclair & go with Towers as the relief ruck - Sinclair is injury prone though so Cameron could well get games. Tim English is the next option to most likely get games I am guessing, not sure where he is at currently @divvydan - slightly more expensive but he is talented.

The other option is picking an absolute rock bottom non playing ruck to use for the captaincy loophole - the most obvious pick for this purpose is Tony Olanga from WCE (although with our ruck issues he may get a game lol) as WCE have 12 games on Sunday.

I was just having a look at the first 4 rounds to get an idea on if it is worthwhile (so a small sample) & looking at when the best captaincy options are playing (I haven't included Dangerfield as not exactly sure when he will be back/if playing round 1) Cats play 3 Sunday games & 1 Monday game in the first 4 rounds for what it is worth :-

Round 1 – Martin Thurs pm / Fyfe Sat arvo/ Mitchell Sat pm/Kelly Sun - Rookie rucks Olanga/Cameron Sun pm
    Round 2 – Martin Thurs pm l Kelly Sat arvo / Fyfe Sat pm/ Mitchell Mon - Rookie rucks Olanga /Cameron Sun pm
    Round 3 – Fyfe v suns early Sat / Kelly Sat pm/ Martin & Mitchell Sun(play each other) - Rookie rucks Cameron Sat pm / Olanga Sun pm
    Round 4 – Fyfe & Kelly Sat arvo (play each other) , Martin (v lions) Sat arvo Mitchell Sun pm - Rookie rucks Cameron late Sat arvo/ Olanga Sat pm

I haven't included guys like Gawn who is also a legitimate captaincy option of course.

So is it worth getting Cameron for the extra ruck insurance as he is the most likely to get games/make some cash or is it better to pick Olanga to exploit the captaincy loophole for maximum points but miss out on possible cash generation by having a certain non-playing bench option?

15. Likes Athomas liked this post
    Team
    CARLTON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    485 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's better to get Cameron... but atm I am 2K short of it

I think if you can afford the difference, it makes sense to get Cameron. There will always be loophole players (as you said, Cameron rucks relatively late Rounds 1 and 2, not too bad Round 3) so after that time, I'd expect to see some non playing players in people's teams anyway.

I'd expect Cameron to play 4-8 games this year, if he fills in for a donut just once, it's a big advantage.
    AFL Twitter --------------------------- This post is SC related--------------------------Movie Twitter

Team
    HAWTHORN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep Olanga is my goto non playing R3 if I go that way.
    Unless it becomes obvious Cameron is going to play from the start I will go Olanga.

Think every year I have gone with a non playing ruck, the points you can get from being able to loophole your captain are very valuable.
    The other option is to go with a F/B at F8 and use them to swing with Sicily and could open up some chances to loop either your F6 or B6.

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm looking at running with Cameron and using Keeffe (B/F) as a floating donut with Sicily for both emerg and VC/C loophole purposes (assuming Keefe doesn't play). It allows you to get a look at multiple rookie scores in the backs and forwards. Could come in handy given the volatility of the rookies in those parts of the ground. Unfortunately, the cheap B/F options with good fixturing are not great.

EDIT - Jarrod Brander (B/F) (WC) is a better option from a fixturing point of view but I'm not sure I'd want to be paying $148k for a dead body
    Last edited by Wheedus; 15th March 2018 at 05:20 PM.
    Proud coach of Big Jenny Talia FFC
    SC 2013 - 11th
    SC 2014
    - 16th
    SC 2015 and beyond - foetal position

"Yonnies in the wind, we're ruggin' up for winter"

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're looking for a M/F floating donut, Jack Petruccelle (WC) $117k is the best option from a fixturing point of view. The obvious starting position is the mid bench to create the link with one of the M/Fs. However, given the available rookies in that part of the ground, it may be difficult to fit him in.
    Proud coach of Big Jenny Talia FFC
    SC 2013 - 11th
    SC 2014
    - 16th
    SC 2015 and beyond - foetal position

"Yonnies in the wind, we're ruggin' up for winter"

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    334 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bunga View Post
    Tim English is the next option to most likely get games I am guessing, not sure where he is at currently @divvydan - slightly more expensive but he is talented.
    Based on preseason, I don't think he's going to play many/any games unless there are a string of injuries. At the moment, Roughead, Trengove and Campbell are probably all ahead of him and in that order. Roughead is potentially injured and Campbell is currently injured so it's possible a spot could open up but unlikely with Trengove now at the club. Additionally, we have the possibility of using Boyd/Schache as 2nd rucks, and I think they both also offer more than English at the moment.

21. Likes Notorious_29, Bunga liked this post
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wheedus View Post
    I'm looking at running with Cameron and using Keeffe (B/F) as a floating donut with Sicily for both emerg and VC/C loophole purposes (assuming Keefe doesn't play). It allows you to get a look at multiple rookie scores in the backs and forwards. Could come in handy given the volatility of the rookies in those parts of the ground. Unfortunately, the cheap B/F options with good fixturing are not great.

EDIT - Jarrod Brander (B/F) (WC) is a better option from a fixturing point of view but I'm not sure I'd want to be paying $148k for a dead body
    Keefe would have to be a big risk of playing games though wouldn't he?
    TEX WALKER. that is all.