SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    869 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Re: 2017 Free Agency + Trade Period

Port doing well if they get much more than a 3rd round pick for Impey so shouldn't be a hard deal you wouldn't think.

Interesting trade period so far, no curveballs as yet.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

Super Moderator
    Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    474 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter PosterFFC Blogger
    Fyfe Award - for outstanding contributions - Outstanding contributions accross the FFC and forwardpress blogs. A huge amount of work completed by Hedge so our thanks go out!!!

Josh Schache and Brisbane's apparently mutual decision to explore trade options is quite interesting. I actually quite like the move, Brisbane probably identifying that Schache is a very good chance to leave in the next two years anyway, they probably won't be in premiership contention in that time period so they may as well move on their asset - I imagine the emergence of Hipwood made this decision slightly easier. Also quite like the fact that Schache hasn't nominated a club to go to, gives Brisbane a reasonable chance of getting a good deal.

I rate Schache fairly highly, he had a really good first year for a KPF and this year was obviously hampered by off-field issues - I don't think his value has deteriorated that much. You'd imagine any club planning on using their first rounder on a KPF in the draft would have to be interested, but from the sounds of things no one looks like putting up a top 10 pick for him.

Quite interested to see what West Coast do, their list is in an interesting position whereby they could probably reload for another crack at the premiership. The last two years have shown the importance of everything going right at the right time; if they can keep their stars injury free and can get another quality midfielder to cover Priddis/Mitchell, there's not reason why they shouldn't have a serious crack. The alternative would be to trade an established player (Gaff would've been ideal but they seem to have ruled that out) to bring in another first rounder, maybe get creative pick-swapping to facilitate other clubs deals (see St Kilda/Port last season) to bring one of next years picks forwards. Target a few younger fringe players with some cheap picks who will hopefully prove useful and start building for their next tilt. I don't think they can just bring in Ah Chee, I feel like that might end up being a bit of a waste of a season, because the return of Naitanui doesn't really cover the loss of Priddis & Mitchell to move further up the ladder, but there's too much quality there to slide down the ladder and get a top pick - not that that's necessary for a rebuild. If they can bring Hartung in for cheap that's not a bad move, there were rumours about being interested in Aaron Hall who IMO would be an excellent pick up considering he wouldn't cost all that much.
    Anyone
    Anywhere
    Anytime

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    869 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
    Josh Schache and Brisbane's apparently mutual decision to explore trade options is quite interesting. I actually quite like the move, Brisbane probably identifying that Schache is a very good chance to leave in the next two years anyway, they probably won't be in premiership contention in that time period so they may as well move on their asset - I imagine the emergence of Hipwood made this decision slightly easier. Also quite like the fact that Schache hasn't nominated a club to go to, gives Brisbane a reasonable chance of getting a good deal.

I rate Schache fairly highly, he had a really good first year for a KPF and this year was obviously hampered by off-field issues - I don't think his value has deteriorated that much. You'd imagine any club planning on using their first rounder on a KPF in the draft would have to be interested, but from the sounds of things no one looks like putting up a top 10 pick for him.

Quite interested to see what West Coast do, their list is in an interesting position whereby they could probably reload for another crack at the premiership. The last two years have shown the importance of everything going right at the right time; if they can keep their stars injury free and can get another quality midfielder to cover Priddis/Mitchell, there's not reason why they shouldn't have a serious crack. The alternative would be to trade an established player (Gaff would've been ideal but they seem to have ruled that out) to bring in another first rounder, maybe get creative pick-swapping to facilitate other clubs deals (see St Kilda/Port last season) to bring one of next years picks forwards. Target a few younger fringe players with some cheap picks who will hopefully prove useful and start building for their next tilt. I don't think they can just bring in Ah Chee, I feel like that might end up being a bit of a waste of a season, because the return of Naitanui doesn't really cover the loss of Priddis & Mitchell to move further up the ladder, but there's too much quality there to slide down the ladder and get a top pick - not that that's necessary for a rebuild. If they can bring Hartung in for cheap that's not a bad move, there were rumours about being interested in Aaron Hall who IMO would be an excellent pick up considering he wouldn't cost all that much.
    Schache seems like a genuine case of the player being homesick and the club respecting it and I also respect he hasn't nominated a club. Think that pretty much everyone should be chasing hard and willing to pay a top 10 for him, any less than that and it's a bargain for the buyer.

Agree on WCE, the only thing they shouldn't be doing is treading water. I agree they should be reloading, none of their kids look particularly special and their best players are almost all at prime age or exiting it. If I was in charge there I'd be trading all the picks they can. Ah Chee for a 3rd is a nice pickup and while I like his potential he's another fringe midfield talent when they've just lost 2 of their 4 best midfielders from last season. If I was them I'd be going hard after midfielders, Rockliff would have been wined and dined for a start and they need to find other possible targets and make something happen, try and get Duncan home. They also need to add some small forwards, it's a glaring weakness on their list and needs to be a high priority. I don't think they're far off at all and Richmond and the WB have both proved the past two years how wide open the comp is right now and how small the difference is between glory and not even playing finals.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

Super Moderator
    Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    474 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Fyfe Award - for outstanding contributions - Outstanding contributions accross the FFC and forwardpress blogs. A huge amount of work completed by Hedge so our thanks go out!!!

I always forget how slow the first week of trade period is Itching for some deals!!

We're already seeing the chronic overvaluation of draft picks, in my mind I'd say all of Devon Smith, Nathan Wilson, Matt Kennedy would be worth a pick around 15, but at this stage it's looking like all will go for later picks.

Just continuing on from the talk about West Coast I'd be offering Darcy Lang an enticing offer to move over, seems like the sort of guy that they'd be able to pick up cheaply.

I feel like the Lever move has attracted way more media attention than it deserves; Adelaide will do quite well out of this I think, seems like a 'right move at the right time' kind of thing, with intercept marking defenders in vogue at the moment and Lever being guy who already generated a fair amount of media hype due to BT and whatever else. I think the longer this stays as a top news story in trade week, the better for the crows as it raises his profile. They'll get a good return for him, I think Melbourne are overpaying money wise.

Hoping that GC continue to hold strong on Ablett, although if Geelong does end up with Watts and Ablett, surely another club is offering Cockatoo a better contract and guaranteed midfield time.
    Anyone
    Anywhere
    Anytime

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Trade period is all about the first and last days. First day gets all the FA stuff done and clubs know who is/isn't available and for what price. Last day sees all the deals getting done. Everything else is just filler and not worth spending time on.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    578 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Very boring so far.

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Rocky officially joins Port after Brisbane decline to match FA bid.

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Brisbane receive an end of Rd 1 pick (currently 18) and Port lose any compensation for Trengove.

9. Likes KickItToButch liked this post
    Team
    HAWTHORN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fox Sports reporting the Bombers have done a deal with GWS for Devon Smith.
    Smith + 24 + 2018 2nd round for Pick 11 and 2018 3rd round

Team
    HAWTHORN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BREAKING: Jake Lever traded to Dees!
    Melbourne -> Adelaide pick 10 & 2018 1st rd pick
    Dees also get pick 35 + 2018 3rd rd

Don't think Adelaide will be complaining about Lever going now.

Team
    GEELONG
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Solid by Adelaide there. Reckon the Smit deal is pretty fair.
    Zach Tuohy my boy for 2017!

Super Moderator
    Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    474 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Adelaide did the very best they could from that situation, well done to them.

Essendon did well out of the Smith deal; I feel like without the 2018 pick swap that would've still been in the their favour slightly, so with those pick swaps I think they'll be quite pleased. It'll be impressive if they can pull off their other two trades using just picks.
    Anyone
    Anywhere
    Anytime

Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    906 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Crows did very well with the Lever deal.
    SC is FFC's number 1 fantasy game

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Will be interesting how much of that they're willing to part with in order to get Gibbs, assuming they're still interested in him and he still wants to go home. They've got more than enough to get a deal done in some form.

16. Likes Athomas liked this post
    Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Impey to Haw is done. Picks 33, 61 and 2018 4th rd pick for Impey and pick 67. Impey signs a 3 year contract with Hawthorn.