Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    334 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Round 15 2017

Sunday teams

Stratton in for Puopolo.
    Thomas, Elliott, Ramsay, Cox 4 Reid, Aish, Crocker, Brown.

Hooker, Parish in for Howlett, McKernan.
    Walker in for Beams.

Sandilands, Fyfe, Grey, Hughes 4 S Hill, Kersten, Deluca, Blakely.
    Steele in for Acres.

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    334 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Cox in will hurt Grundy, Smith stays in which hurts Martin, especially with Walker there as well. No Scharenberg despite Reid and Aish missing.

Team
    GEELONG
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

@Wogitalia would love to hear your thoughts on where Sydney is at given you are Longmire's biggest critic. Massive turnaround from the start of the season!
    Zach Tuohy my boy for 2017!

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Narkee View Post
    @Wogitalia would love to hear your thoughts on where Sydney is at given you are Longmire's biggest critic. Massive turnaround from the start of the season!
    Playing considerably better football the last month, I think there have been two major factors. 1 is the obvious factor that we've gotten a lot healthier, we were missing basically all of our most dynamic players early in the season and with a coach who is as plain and vanilla in his thinking as Horse is that's destructive to the side. The secondary factor is Horse has stopped picking all his favourite duds in favour of guys who offer a lot more to the side.

We really missed Papley, Jack, Heeney and Rohan early on because that's our 4 best forward pressure guys and in the case of the first 3 also our most creative forward half ball users. Then we absolutely missed McVeigh and Rampe down back, without McVeigh teams have put an awful lot of work into Mills and have largely taken him out of games which meant teams could just key onto Lloyd, who is a very vanilla player who wont take risks and open the game up often which meant we had absolutely no rebound. Adding Newman, who is basically the total opposite of Lloyd and the closest thing we've had to Malceski since he left, has been an incredibly big move, one that Horse deserves very little credit for given his hand was basically forced and even then Newman had to play at a level that few of the entire side have ever reached just to get an extra game and cement a spot (He's the anti-Horse player in that he plays on regularly, takes risks, turns in board, takes on the man on the mark and attempts kicks that can often not come off but turn the opponent inside out when they do). Rampe is similar in that he so often turns the wrong way on opponents and opens up the corridor, these two, McVeigh and Jones make Lloyd so much better as well because he's basically a train, you put him on the right tracks and he gets the ball to the right spot but without the tracks he just goes nowhere.

The injury to Cunningham has been a blessing as it's one less spud we're carrying and I hope we wont see him in the Red and White again. Ditto for Marsh who kept getting chances ahead of Newman in particular but hopefully never plays for us again because he's one of the worst players I've ever seen get regular games. Topped off with the dumping of Sinclair, who might be even worse than Marsh, and we're no longer playing effectively down 3 men regularly, Marsh is actually so bad that he's actually a negative because he undermined our entire defensive structure by not being able to break even on contests where he had an advantage and would constantly turn the ball over in the worst situations.

Basically the lack of cavalry completely exposed Horse for the inadequate coach that he is, I've said it for the last 5 years, Horse is the handcuffs on this side, we've had the most talented list for that period (imo at least) and we've not won a single flag because we're consistently outcoached, particularly by Clarkson and Beveridge who are on the other end of the spectrum. I think the Giants, especially when healthy, have now passed us on talent so I reckon Horse has cost us 2 or 3 flags, imo we should have been the Hawks dynasty, they were the Port Adelaide to our Brisbane in that they're great but we had slightly more talent but our coach has managed to reverse the outcome and have us steal one flag at the start and not win another!

It doesn't hurt that Parker seems to finally be getting fit as well after a very limited preseason but I reckon what we've seen is a perfect example of a coach who is dependent on a talent advantage to be competitive and when that advantage is stripped from him he's just flotsam being hammered by the waves. On a positive, when healthy we've got the talent still to beat anyone on our day and have proven we can win despite the coach and it's good to have turned it around.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!