SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Re: Forward Midpricers

Also De Goey still isn't in full training which is a concern.

Elliott also had a hamstring issue before Christmas but is back in full training now.

Both are on my watchlist so obviously a negative tick for both though Elliott is so cheap that it's hard to go past him if he's good from here.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Worpel was apparently one of the best for the Hawks in their intraclub game.

Wingard sat out with a tight calf. Not expected to miss the preseason or anything but still a concern.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Papley is expected to play more midfield minutes at Sydney, he's been really good in the middle in the past in short stints and shown some serious scoring potential also, so will be worth watching.

Of course in typical preseason fashion we also have Mills, Florent, Hayward and Heeney expecting more midfield minutes with only one real opening that wont require someone else losing out...

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

One thing I will say in general and it applies more to this group of fantasy players than any other, is that intra-club games have a lot more players going through the midfield than normal as the club has to fill out two full midfields, including rotations, from their 40 odd players. So there will be many players who spend time in midfield during intra-club games that end up spending no/little time there in full AFL games.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    One thing I will say in general and it applies more to this group of fantasy players than any other, is that intra-club games have a lot more players going through the midfield than normal as the club has to fill out two full midfields, including rotations, from their 40 odd players. So there will be many players who spend time in midfield during intra-club games that end up spending no/little time there in full AFL games.
    Yep always the caveat on these things... on the flip side it's also the first indicator for the guys who are getting a position change.

I do think it's generally a better indicator for defenders though as the back 6 is much more structural so you generally don't start pulling key guys out of that to muck around in the midfield and instead hold the back 6 structure together.

Still, Billings and Gresham are both exactly the types that the Saints need in the middle. Surely after last season they've got to start getting guys who can kick and use the ball in the middle instead of their overloading with guys who can't kick at all tactic that failed so badly last year, though I have no respect for their coach so I wouldn't be shocked if those two get stuck in the forward pockets again.

I mostly like the guys like Martin who almost has to play midfield this year you would think, whether it helps his scoring is another question but it should and it was his position as a junior. Wingard we know scores at an elite level as a midfielder so for him it's just whether his role/fitness will allow it.

Worpel was playing midfield last year already and with Mitchell out should have a real chance at a genuine full time gig and shows some scoring chops.

The Swans guys I have no idea and really I think Heeney is the lock as a Swans forward anyway so probably no need to keep looking there for anything more risky.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

This is also the position that in recent history has most commonly provided a big time breakout option. The combination of a lot of high draft picks starting as HFF before moving into the guts and the lower premium threshold has left plenty of options here.

Parker, Danger, Martin, Merrett, Rockliff, McLean, Gray, Macrae, etc, etc.

So it's certainly the spot I watch the closest personally for those 300-500k types that can be genuine premiums and are discounted.

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keen on taking Gresham but he will have to push out one of Wingard or Greene.
    Proud coach of Big Jenny Talia FFC
    SC 2013 - 11th
    SC 2014
    - 16th
    SC 2015 and beyond - foetal position

"Yonnies in the wind, we're ruggin' up for winter"

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Wheedus View Post
    Keen on taking Gresham but he will have to push out one of Wingard or Greene.
    Greene in some doubt for round 1 and Wingard struggling with a calf might end up making it easy for you

9. Likes Athomas liked this post
    Team
    CARLTON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    482 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gresham/Billings/Worpel all interest me.

Think the Saints boys will probably be in the too hard bucket though, with Hanners coming in etc too.

Worpel could certainly be the one based purely on role.
    AFL Twitter --------------------------- This post is SC related--------------------------Movie Twitter

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Wingard is out for another couple of weeks at least with the calf problem, enough for me to stick a fork in him as a starting option.

12. Likes Big Sledge #32, Wheedus liked this post
    Team
    CARLTON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    482 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wogitalia View Post
    Wingard is out for another couple of weeks at least with the calf problem, enough for me to stick a fork in him as a starting option.
    I've started considering him again
    Would need a big JLT2 game at the minimum.

Worpel's scores in finals were so bad, I can't bring myself to consider him.

Darcy Moore is an interesting one... Apparently in great nick and sharing kick-ins (with Quaynor)
    Actually scored ok in defence final 3 games of the year (68SC Round 17 but had finger injury in Q2, 91SC Round 19 80% TOG, 22SC Round 20 hammy Q2)
    His injury history is his main concern, but at his price ($239K) he would only need to last the first half of the season. Played 21 games in 2017.
    Other main concern is scoring potential. 80SC average be a success at that price? Might need 85.
    AFL Twitter --------------------------- This post is SC related--------------------------Movie Twitter

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Athomas View Post
    I've started considering him again
    Would need a big JLT2 game at the minimum.

Worpel's scores in finals were so bad, I can't bring myself to consider him.

Darcy Moore is an interesting one... Apparently in great nick and sharing kick-ins (with Quaynor)
    Actually scored ok in defence final 3 games of the year (68SC Round 17 but had finger injury in Q2, 91SC Round 19 80% TOG, 22SC Round 20 hammy Q2)
    His injury history is his main concern, but at his price ($239K) he would only need to last the first half of the season. Played 21 games in 2017.
    Other main concern is scoring potential. 80SC average be a success at that price? Might need 85.
    Howe is also injured and, while hoping to play JLT, has to be in some doubt for the season proper.

Moore taking kick ins with his intercept skills would actually be an 80+ prospect, basically like Doedee last year with kick-ins for extra points. Roughy is expected to play the main defensive role.

Quaynor himself is a very decent option, apparently a very good chance at R1, top prospect who blitzed their time trials from memory so fit enough already.

Hardest part at the Pies is finding who gets dropped. Beams, Elliott, Quaynor and Moore all looking for spots makes it very congested. Moore stands out as a genuine KPD though so he's a bit more unique.

Whether Moore is worth the premium pretty much would come down to the other options for mine, if he lights up JLT that would also help. Durability not as much of a factor for rookies, he probably needs to play 8 games before round 13 (Pies bye) and you'll be good as long as there isn't an injury disaster that tanks the score too bad.

15. Likes Athomas liked this post
    FFC Football Operations Manager Hodges's Avatar
    Team
    HAWTHORN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moore has been high on my radar since I first opened SC this year, for all the reasons you guys have discussed. The B/F link is also super damn handy when you are trading, is the decider if im 50/50 on two guys.

One guy who hasnt been talked about much this year is Petracca. Exact same reasons as last season, do we just keep picking him until he breaks out? The talent is clear, he just needs the fitness base - which should be better each year that passes.
    Only ever talking SC

17. Likes Big Sledge #32, Athomas liked this post
    Team
    CARLTON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    482 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wasn't interested in Trac last year, not interested again

Emergence of Brayshaw and a fit (for now) Viney helps me avoid even thinking of him.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Midfield minutes never eventuated last year and actually got pushed further back by Brayshaw brute forcing his way into the main group. He's super talented and I think he can do it but this year I probably wont be going him unless he looks special in the JLT.

De Goey is still limited in training for anyone considering him.

20. Likes Hodges, Athomas liked this post