Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Re: Forward Midpricers

Quote Originally Posted by dylan123 View Post
    Is there any chance Jack could bounce back after his 2017 season? I hate to suggest him as he looked like absolute trash for a good section of the 2017 season, however you look from 2012-2016 and he averaged 90+ DT every season and 89.6 SC for all of those whilst only missing 2 games during that period.

In my desperate search to find someone I don't mind the prospect of, Jack is probably someone that stands out more then the other options under that 600k mark in RDT which says a lot about the lower end premiums/midpricers in RDT (outside of the obvious couple of picks).

He really looked cooked last year though so I'm not sure I could pick him, but if he was to get midfield time (which I don't know how likely/unlikely that is) it could see him jump back up.

The other one worth mentioning in Robbie Gray given prior to his 2017 average of 81.2 he'd gone 3 years of 96+. The difference here is him playing as a full time midfielder vs going back to the forward line - I cannot remember if the forward move was just to help the side or if it was a result of an injury/underdone pre season. Obviously with them beefing up their midfield and his play in the forward line, he'll continue to play forward, but could he get more midfield minutes then he might have last year? Edit: Just remember he's out for round 1 which really doesn't make him all that great of an option given he'll be missing again in 7 odd weeks.

God damn I hate the forward options this year.
    Gray had significant groin issues last year that he carried into the season and played through. It's part of the reason for his scoring and part of the reason for the role change.

Having said that, the role change is going to stick according to preseason and everything from the press.

Also he's suspended for round 1 so unless a rookie appears that plays before Port's game and puts up a big score in round 1 there is just no justification to take him given his bye also stinks and will have to be covered by the current forward rookies basically.

Jack had back issues at the start of last season and all preseason and was rushed in for round 1 completely underdone and struggled massively as a result. He was better after his rest but still not good or back to his best, in the mean time Papley and Heeney stole his role and he ended up primarily as a small forward.

This preseason he's been playing a lot more midfield minutes and he looks a lot better fitness wise. My concern is that backs don't tend to go away so it could flare up at any point and that the team wants to get more midfield minutes into Heeney, Papley and Mills this season and he's a logical scapegoat to go forward as he's actually pretty dynamic in the forward half and very good on the delivery side. The positive is Hanners looks like missing early so he can probably gobble up some of those minutes and start hot.

Jack is probably a start or pass option though rather than upgrade. Bye also stinks.

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    The longer I look at my team, the more I dislike most of the premium forwards (especially SC) and the more I start looking at the likes of Dunkley/Bell/Christensen and even Impey despite his higher price. I'm not including guys like Devon Smith, Petracca and Sicily in this are they're more low end keepers. Lobb having a good preseason could've given me a lock there and maybe I wouldn't have to even consider it.
    Basically need to do the math on what you see them averaging. Realistically it's unlikely that any of them are keeper level scorers so they need to outproduce rookies to be worth picking. The positive is that often they can be squeezed in without a major sacrifice. I think this is probably the strongest year in a long time for that price bracket of need 80-90 averages to be effective cash cows and match rookies because the rookies are so bad and those options are all actually decent.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodges View Post
    Bell seems to be right on the cusp of selection, I think if he is named R1 then its a worthwhile pick. Bundy im still unsure on, has the history but role seems the questionable part. Dunkley is my big smokey this year, he was on the premium track before injury ruined last season. I have no doubt he can score, question that I have is over his disposal. His DE% never seems that good, if the Dogs keep him out of the mid rotations because of it it could stop him getting back to those 85+ scores.

I've been re-evaluating the midpricers this year and i'm starting to question a few of them. The low end keeper guys like Lambert, Walters, Cameron and Roughy are interesting to me. Walters has his well publicised finish to last year, same for Lambert - seems risky on paper but much less of a risk than Petracca/Smith for only 50k more. Cameron was averaging 95 until injuries took hold late in the season, big fan of his but given the injuries were repeat soft tissue ones he is a hard sell.

Roughy is the one i've kind of locked onto. There was an article posted a couple of days back that said he suffered loss of feeling in his feet last season due to side effects from the cancer therapy. He said he went from maybe 70% start of season to about 90% by seasons end, was affecting him being able to kick the ball mainly. Back half of last year Roughy averaged 95, he says he has full feeling back in his feet now so it seems safe to assume he can maintain that. He had 5 years in a row averaging 95+, liking him a lot this year based off that news.
    Roughy is well and truly on my radar, knee surgery in the offseason had him out of my initial plans but he completed the JLT and looked good so I've put that to the side. He started poorly as you could reasonably expect given what he went through and finished like a steam train. I think that the Hawks should be better this year (just a gut feeling though) which also helps him. Don't think he'll ruck though which was a big reason in his 100+ seasons. Still he's cheap and I think 95 is within reach.

Fits the typical KPF that can probably be had for around the same price in the season though so I don't see a huge need to rush into him unless you can't find another option... which is I guess why we're looking at him in the first place.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    334 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The injury to Tom Mitchell will most likely see James Worpel be a popular choice as a midpriced forward/mid in 2019. Priced at 68DT/73SC after his debut year, Worpel played 3 games in the first half of the season and struggled, only scoring 49/64, 27/33 and 41/32 before losing his place until Round 18 when he won his placed back. In the last 6 H&A games, he averaged 83DT/88SC (so already a +15 compared to his season overall). With the loss of Tom Mitchell for 2019 it's likely that Worpel will be given more midfield time this season and combined with natural improvement, is a decent chance at average somewhere in the low 90's and possibly higher, or even higher for a shorter period and then sideways to a fallen premium forward (there's always one).

Two major negatives stick out for Worpel. 1. His finals series was really poor, which raises concern about how trustworthy he is to take on a more important role; 2. The trading in of Wingard might offset the loss of Mitchell and it may in fact be Wingard who is given the primary midfield role, with Worpel relegated to the forward role, just with stints on ball in rotation.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    588 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Good call, will certainly keep an eye out.

Think just blooding Worpel at finals level last year will be seen as a win and something for him to build from.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Yeah personally like Wingard more as the benefactor but will be very interesting to watch their preseason games.

Team
    CARLTON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    485 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wogitalia View Post
    Yeah personally like Wingard more as the benefactor but will be very interesting to watch their preseason games.
    Yeah could be forced into some big midfield minutes!
    AFL Twitter --------------------------- This post is SC related--------------------------Movie Twitter

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Athomas View Post
    Yeah could be forced into some big midfield minutes!

O'Meara probably the other one to watch, if he's fit then very interesting prospect, finished last year very well averaging 103/100 and while that supports a DT lean, I actually think the SC benefit could be stronger with no Mitchell as he becomes by far their best extractor/pack clearing option so should be their primary hitout target you'd think. Durability will always be the question but a perfect preseason and some strong scoring would certainly have my attention. (To be fair, haven't followed and he might have already dusted the perfect preseason plan).

7. Likes Athomas liked this post
    Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    334 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Doubt he would've been a good choice anyway due to his injury history but Fasolo has a fracture in his left arm, which means he won't get to play any pre-season games and might not be ready for Round 1.

Team
    CARLTON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    485 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like it was an altercation in a pub. http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/201...obOR3JZV7F4XVE

I was not too worried with our injuries, but they are starting to pile up again now.
    Fasolo looked good in match sim on Friday and all pre-season really. Sigh.
    AFL Twitter --------------------------- This post is SC related--------------------------Movie Twitter

Team
    GEELONG
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Thoughts on Hanners at St Kilda? Never really got going last year only playing 14 games for an average of 60. Has hit the 100+ mark on two occasions; 2015 and 2016. In 2017 he hit 94.4. Haven't heard much about his preseason but if you are looking at a midpriced midfielder it is likely to be between he and Libba.
    Zach Tuohy my boy for 2017!

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Narkee View Post
    Thoughts on Hanners at St Kilda? Never really got going last year only playing 14 games for an average of 60. Has hit the 100+ mark on two occasions; 2015 and 2016. In 2017 he hit 94.4. Haven't heard much about his preseason but if you are looking at a midpriced midfielder it is likely to be between he and Libba.
    ....and Miles

EDIT: Sorry, not really answering the question here but in terms of the popular mid-price options:
    Hanners currently selected in 19% of teams
    Libba 23%
    Miles 27%
    Last edited by Wheedus; 31st January 2019 at 02:58 PM.
    Proud coach of Big Jenny Talia FFC
    SC 2013 - 11th
    SC 2014
    - 16th
    SC 2015 and beyond - foetal position

"Yonnies in the wind, we're ruggin' up for winter"

12. Likes Athomas, Narkee liked this post
    Team
    GEELONG
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Good pick up @Wheedus
    Zach Tuohy my boy for 2017!

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Hanners is already having soft tissue issues this preseason, same stuff that has crippled him the past couple of years so he'd need to do something special in the preseason for mine.

Also wrong thread guys

Miles is also very interesting, if he gets to be a pig then he can score really well, depends on the role they want for him I guess.

FFC Football Operations Manager Hodges's Avatar
    Team
    HAWTHORN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ainsworth interests me this year. From memory he was going at around a 90 average when he played midfield minutes last year. Think he should start to see more of those this season, at 330k he is an awkward price but ill be watching his PS for sure.
    Only ever talking SC

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Billings and Gresham both apparently in the midfield group for the Saints internal match the other day and both looked good.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Also Jack Martin is apparently the fittest he's ever been and Dew is on record as saying he wants him to play more midfield and take more responsibility. He's certainly talented enough to score really well if his body can handle the midfield role.