Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    589 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Forward Midpricers

All discussion to do with Forwards Midpricers.

Note: If you are talking about a player for only one competition please state if it is for DT or SC.

FFC Agent of Chaos Big Sledge #32's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    577 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Forward Midpricers

I guess this is where Heeney sits? Probably a higher end midpricer though.

The main player of interest for mine.
    Baltimore Ravens Superbowl XLVII Champions
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkee View Post
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos

Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    922 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Jack Steele possibly pending a few factors now that he is at saints is one I will track.
    SC is FFC's number 1 fantasy game

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    334 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Heeney will be priced at 73DT and 79SC which is certainly in the midpricer category, albeit high enough that you need him to become a keeper to make him worthwhile as a pick. Averaged 67/69 in 2015 so despite his ups and downs in 2016, he still has improved a little. In 24 games during 2016 he averaged 20+ disposals on 7 occasions (3/4 in finals) and scored 80+ on all of them in both DT and SC with 6/7 being 100+ DT.

I was going to do a more detailed look at Heeney's scores over his first two seasons but the bottom line is that if you expect him to take over a midfield spot with Mitchell gone or play on the wing next season then he's probably a lock and if he plays forward more often than not then he's not going to be a good pick.

Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah he's showed the potential to pick up 30-40 touches in a game when played in the right role, loves to tackle and will kick goals. No brainer for mine.

6. Likes hedgehog liked this post
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    589 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yeah seems a pretty likely candidate to improve on his average with another pre season under his belt and the opening in the midfield with Mitchell gone.

Roughead might be another worth considering. If he's back at training now then he's got a few months to get his body back into playing shape - feel like it's probably a long way back given I assume he had chemo which would have taken a lot of of his body. I'm not sure if he's been given a 30 or 40% discount, but at 30% discount would have him priced at around a 62 average I think which makes him an alright option given he was averaging 88 the previous two seasons and around that mark for the two before that. Again, hard to say how he returns from all of it though, will get a clearer idea of where he's at when we get to the pre season games.

Team
    COLLINGWOOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    431 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter Poster

Jamie Elliot one to consider in sc. Assuming he gets a decent discount from not playing last year.
    - twitter @mammes

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Heeney is quality enough to push premium even if the position change didn't happen or isn't as effective as we hope. Realistically I think he should push to the 90/100 area this year like a Toby Greene or Devon Smith type if he stays forward and you can add probably 10 to those if the midfield move happens. Both our early picks were HFF types so I think the plan is pretty clear to try and get Heeney up the field (plus he finished there last year for the last 10 or so weeks and was great and more involved).

I haven't checked enough on positions and the like yet for anyone else but from the FWDs who lost the status from last year I think it will be the main area to take a gamble or two trying to hit some breakout/back types. Backs look very easy with just the number of rookies available as a factor for how many of the gun premiums you can lock and load and the mids are loaded with value guys with huge track records and a couple of must have types.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

FFC General Manager KickItToButch's Avatar
    Team
    PORT ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this were we talk about Cam McCarthy and James Stewart? or are they considered rookies given there prices.

Team
    MELBOURNE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    466 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@favourites can I ask you about Josh Thomas and what his chances of elevation and regular games are? 207k in RDT, which is the value of highest priced rookies / lowest midpricers. If he's a starter in round 1 and getting some midfield minutes, I'd be interested based on what I remember of him
    #teamANB

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Finally have the prices so can get a gauge of the midprice guys... some quick thoughts on the names that pop out to me...

Based on SC prices here so might be a couple that differ and have drawn the line at those guys 5 points removed from a top 10 average last year, which in SC comes in at the 85 mark. Drawing the line at the $240k mark as my arbitrary rookie cutoff line!

Motlop - Is worth a thought at least, down 4 on the previous season the talent is obvious and with Caddy departing there is an even bigger midfield role, they need more from him and I believe has had a strong preseason, which he didn't last year when he rolled in looking like he was on a fast food diet.

Westhoff - Previous 3 seasons have been premium level, durability is very strong, schedule is friendly and his bye is awesome. Needs the whole team to improve as he clearly suffered from that aspect and his upside isn't phenomenal, more F6 type scoring than anything grander.

Jack Watts - Finally worked it out last year, team should be better again this year, especially the supply amount and attacking movement (their focus under Goodwin). Gutsy choice though.

D. Menzel - Strong comeback year. Should be even better this year. Durability is an obvious concern but his upside is pretty damn good.

M. Wood - Really talented player, with the massive clear out at the Kangas he is even more important. I'm very interested to see if he moves into the midfield or stays at HF this season as the Kangas desperately lack class through the midfield and he has plenty of that as well as a huge body.

D. Smith - Bundles of talent and has gone close to premium numbers before. Concern is that SJ (who may miss early), Deledio and Greene have pushed him down a rung but he was injury ravaged last year so certainly one to watch in the preseason, he can do things that very few can.

I. Smith - With Lewis, Mitchell and Hill gone he needs to do more for the Hawks as they've lost a lot of their outside receiving in that group. Down year so underpriced even just to his best. Durability is very strong and he's a really strong option, imo.

Wingard - Flat out underpriced, very similar to Westhoff in that needs the team to lift (they kind of go together a bit) and I still think he needs to move away from goal to help that happen as his class is being underutilised on a team full of grunts that lack class. Plus it's an odd year again and he averages 98 in those...

Heeney - Plenty of discussion on him already, will be very popular I imagine.

Daniel - Probably should be just as popular, no reason to think his massive work ethic will go away now that he has his foot in the door. The Dahlhaus and Macrae premium options does hurt his case a bit though but he could easily outscore both of them if he pushes them down the rung in opportunity and he's so classy he could.

T. Miller - Will be watching his preseason role very, very closely. As a midfielder he finished out the season averaging 103. The problem is he only seems to get midfield time after Ablett gets hurt in the past two seasons. With Prestia gone there is an opening and it will be really interesting to see if he can find his spot in the top end of the rotation. It's a big group of issues after Ablett and Swallow with Barlow and Hall both being butchers (Hall is also really, really soft), Hanley being super inconsistent and the rest of the guys all trying to earn a spot. Very much has the potential to do the same thing as Hall last year, imo, and is a better player so should be able to sustain it if he does.

Walters - The Dockers need him in the midfield more and he's a class player, has flirted with premium ability for patches of his career but he has the potential to push into it.

Higgins - Durability is terrible but hit premium numbers the previous season and after chasing away basically all their class they absolutely need him to step up this year.

Ryder - Discounted and previously has hit premium averages. Very good prospect this year with role being strong, durability record is strong, bye is perfect and DPP to cover rucks makes him even more valuable. Think he'll be very popular myself.

Shane Edwards - Had a mare last year but was borderline premium the year before and is another guy the Tigers really, really need to bounce back and stand up.

De Goey - Burned a lot of people last year but the talent is obvious and could be his year this year. Or he could be the new Robbie Gray who will burn us all for half a decade and then explode when we finally give up!

Jake Stringer - Mercurial talent, with Cloke, Boyd and Crameri he could be freed to push higher and find more pill this year. Will be watching his role very closely this season and would love to know if anyone has heard anything on his preseason. Reminds me so much of Dangerfield and how he started his career as he slowly built his tank and it wouldn't take much with his game breaking ability to push his average up.

Yeo - The Eagles desperately need pace in that midfield, I assume he was hurt all year last year because he is wasting away in an unnatural role otherwise. The talent is obvious and his fantasy ability is also.

Billings - Rapidly becoming a Robbie Gray type also... but the kid is stupid talented if he ever gets it.

J. Martin - Showed some things last year and has a lot of raw talent. Be interesting to see how he looks in the preseason.

Petracca - Reckon he's probably a bit of a De Goey concern but he's stupid talented and will be a premium in the next few years if he stays healthy.

Greenwood - Training the house down and premium scoring in the past in two seasons. Have to watch his role closely I reckon.

Bennell - Talent level is absurd. Everything else is a concern but if talent comes out in him he's a season shaper. No reason he can't produce similarly to a Merrett (especially in SC) last year such is his talent level. Hopefully he either locks himself in or out of teams because he's a real piece of bait otherwise!

Hopper - Would need to progress a lot in role but is another extreme talent.

Fantasia - Depends on his role but as a wingman he's got massive potential as proven last year, role is everything though and uncertain at best even if he starts hot.

Bell/Christensen - Both coming off poor years where they struggled with fitness. Both proven premium level scorers. Both very tempting with the Lions midfield bereft of both size and penetration.

Daniher - It's going to click sooner or later and he had a very strong year last year in absurdly trying circumstances for a young KPF. This year he has help and a midfield, they really do help. If he kicks even moderately well instead of woefully he's a good 15 points up a game already.

Roughy - We all know the story, 5 straight seasons of strong durability (4 on this) and premium scoring but we have no idea how he bounces back. Captaincy is a nod that he's passing the eye test at training though, will watch very closely in preseason also as it's both a great story and a great fantasy prospect. Plus, having him in the team will feel good regardless and great if he helps us to greatness!

Brayshaw - Also had a mare of a year but is very talented. Role will be everything and is something I doubt Lewis helps with.

Steele - Has been an absolute machine in the NEAFL but couldn't get close to that Giants midfield. Will certainly have a chance at the Saints and a prime role could easily see him push the 90s. Pretty sure his numbers in the NEAFL were comparable to Tom Mitchell.

J. Carlisle - Watch his role but he has put up some very decent numbers as a CHB playing an intercept role in the past and I'd expect with the recruitment of N. Brown and with Dempster, Goddard and Roberton also there that you'd think that's the perfect role for him, not sure if he can hit a premium level but could be a very strong cash cow and late upgrade who goes somewhere close. There were a good 9 KPDs that averaged in the 84+ range last year which doesn't even include the smaller guys playing intercept roles like Laird, Shaw and Docherty in particular. Carlisle is better than most of them and priced at 62.

L. Weller - Super talented kid who's future is in the midfield, plenty of openings for another hard head in there, imo, and he is the top of the list to take it.

CEY - At least worth watching if he can secure an inside midfielder role given his scoring history in that role. Longshot though, imo, but that Lyons type role was lucrative last year.

J. Elliott - Strong preseason so far I believe and decent scoring history, mostly he's 30 points underpriced on his best and capable of very big scores that can spike his price, in other words he's a cash play with a dream of keeper more than a keeper play, imo. Last year I had several guys play this role very well but it's only relevant really if the rookie crop is a bit weaker like last years was. Playing Libba or Fantasia over Brown or Oliver was a big advantage for my side.

ANB - This is just for Sledge and Devo.

Have skipped a fair few guys that I think cases can be made for, I'm just not doing it

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Going to state the obvious here, but IMO this is the area where rankings will be won or lost this season.

Given that the third most popular premium pick in SC is only at 11% ownership, it's almost worth going with 2-3 to start with and cop a trade or two to sideways to the bolters if you don't have them.

I'm going to throw Josh Dunkley's name into the ring as a DT option as well. Very awkwardly-priced given the options below him, but averaged 93.7 after he found his way back into the side in Round 17, and averaged 94.3 during the finals where he attended quite a few centre bounces. Has apparently been an absolute standout over pre-season, and if I was going to make a big call, I'd say he's a very good chance to go 100+ this season.

14. Likes dylan123, Narkee, Wheedus liked this post
    Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by lifelike_ View Post
    Going to state the obvious here, but IMO this is the area where rankings will be won or lost this season.

Given that the third most popular premium pick in SC is only at 11% ownership, it's almost worth going with 2-3 to start with and cop a trade or two to sideways to the bolters if you don't have them.

I'm going to throw Josh Dunkley's name into the ring as a DT option as well. Very awkwardly-priced given the options below him, but averaged 93.7 after he found his way back into the side in Round 17, and averaged 94.3 during the finals where he attended quite a few centre bounces. Has apparently been an absolute standout over pre-season, and if I was going to make a big call, I'd say he's a very good chance to go 100+ this season.
    I almost mentioned him on my list but it's so hard to find the midfield time for everyone at that side. Dahlhaus, Picken, Macrae, Stringer, Bonts, Wallis, Libba, Daniel, Smith, Dunkley and Hunter all come to mind as guys I'd want in the midfield for the Dogs and then you've got Murphy returning that may push a JJ type into it also given they're overloaded down back also.

I just have no idea what's going to happen with midfield minutes for them, agree entirely on Dunkley as a candidate though! Preseason is always hard to gauge who has won what role as well, probably the midfield is the only area you can't work out from it.

Agree entirely that the midprice forwards will probably dictate success this year. Think you can go very safe down back and in the mids this year without any effort but even the forward premiums seem risky!

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The midfield minutes will definitely be interesting!

Basically we don't really have any 'pure' midfielders, if that makes any sense. Pretty much every player there can rotate forward or back.

You'd think that Bontempelli, Macrae, Dahlhaus and Libba would be those most likely to get the midfield minutes, Hunter can go back, Smith and Stringer will spend a fair but of time forward and Picken is more of a utility. Daniel will float in and out, and I'd expect something similar from Dunkley.

Crameri and Cloke will crowd the forward line even more, so it might be a case of being pushed into the midfield.

I'm not 100% sure he's even best 22 at the moment, though Bevo seems to really rate him. His form from Round 17 onwards would have had him as the fourth best forward had he done it for a whole season, so it's a definite watch for me!

17. Likes Wogitalia liked this post
    FFC General Manager KickItToButch's Avatar
    Team
    PORT ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wogitalia View Post
    Finally have the prices so can get a gauge of the midprice guys... some quick thoughts on the names that pop out to me...

Based on SC prices here so might be a couple that differ and have drawn the line at those guys 5 points removed from a top 10 average last year, which in SC comes in at the 85 mark. Drawing the line at the $240k mark as my arbitrary rookie cutoff line!

Motlop - Is worth a thought at least, down 4 on the previous season the talent is obvious and with Caddy departing there is an even bigger midfield role, they need more from him and I believe has had a strong preseason, which he didn't last year when he rolled in looking like he was on a fast food diet.

Westhoff - Previous 3 seasons have been premium level, durability is very strong, schedule is friendly and his bye is awesome. Needs the whole team to improve as he clearly suffered from that aspect and his upside isn't phenomenal, more F6 type scoring than anything grander.

Jack Watts - Finally worked it out last year, team should be better again this year, especially the supply amount and attacking movement (their focus under Goodwin). Gutsy choice though.

D. Menzel - Strong comeback year. Should be even better this year. Durability is an obvious concern but his upside is pretty damn good.

M. Wood - Really talented player, with the massive clear out at the Kangas he is even more important. I'm very interested to see if he moves into the midfield or stays at HF this season as the Kangas desperately lack class through the midfield and he has plenty of that as well as a huge body.

D. Smith - Bundles of talent and has gone close to premium numbers before. Concern is that SJ (who may miss early), Deledio and Greene have pushed him down a rung but he was injury ravaged last year so certainly one to watch in the preseason, he can do things that very few can.

I. Smith - With Lewis, Mitchell and Hill gone he needs to do more for the Hawks as they've lost a lot of their outside receiving in that group. Down year so underpriced even just to his best. Durability is very strong and he's a really strong option, imo.

Wingard - Flat out underpriced, very similar to Westhoff in that needs the team to lift (they kind of go together a bit) and I still think he needs to move away from goal to help that happen as his class is being underutilised on a team full of grunts that lack class. Plus it's an odd year again and he averages 98 in those...

Heeney - Plenty of discussion on him already, will be very popular I imagine.

Daniel - Probably should be just as popular, no reason to think his massive work ethic will go away now that he has his foot in the door. The Dahlhaus and Macrae premium options does hurt his case a bit though but he could easily outscore both of them if he pushes them down the rung in opportunity and he's so classy he could.

T. Miller - Will be watching his preseason role very, very closely. As a midfielder he finished out the season averaging 103. The problem is he only seems to get midfield time after Ablett gets hurt in the past two seasons. With Prestia gone there is an opening and it will be really interesting to see if he can find his spot in the top end of the rotation. It's a big group of issues after Ablett and Swallow with Barlow and Hall both being butchers (Hall is also really, really soft), Hanley being super inconsistent and the rest of the guys all trying to earn a spot. Very much has the potential to do the same thing as Hall last year, imo, and is a better player so should be able to sustain it if he does.

Walters - The Dockers need him in the midfield more and he's a class player, has flirted with premium ability for patches of his career but he has the potential to push into it.

Higgins - Durability is terrible but hit premium numbers the previous season and after chasing away basically all their class they absolutely need him to step up this year.

Ryder - Discounted and previously has hit premium averages. Very good prospect this year with role being strong, durability record is strong, bye is perfect and DPP to cover rucks makes him even more valuable. Think he'll be very popular myself.

Shane Edwards - Had a mare last year but was borderline premium the year before and is another guy the Tigers really, really need to bounce back and stand up.

De Goey - Burned a lot of people last year but the talent is obvious and could be his year this year. Or he could be the new Robbie Gray who will burn us all for half a decade and then explode when we finally give up!

Jake Stringer - Mercurial talent, with Cloke, Boyd and Crameri he could be freed to push higher and find more pill this year. Will be watching his role very closely this season and would love to know if anyone has heard anything on his preseason. Reminds me so much of Dangerfield and how he started his career as he slowly built his tank and it wouldn't take much with his game breaking ability to push his average up.

Yeo - The Eagles desperately need pace in that midfield, I assume he was hurt all year last year because he is wasting away in an unnatural role otherwise. The talent is obvious and his fantasy ability is also.

Billings - Rapidly becoming a Robbie Gray type also... but the kid is stupid talented if he ever gets it.

J. Martin - Showed some things last year and has a lot of raw talent. Be interesting to see how he looks in the preseason.

Petracca - Reckon he's probably a bit of a De Goey concern but he's stupid talented and will be a premium in the next few years if he stays healthy.

Greenwood - Training the house down and premium scoring in the past in two seasons. Have to watch his role closely I reckon.

Bennell - Talent level is absurd. Everything else is a concern but if talent comes out in him he's a season shaper. No reason he can't produce similarly to a Merrett (especially in SC) last year such is his talent level. Hopefully he either locks himself in or out of teams because he's a real piece of bait otherwise!

Hopper - Would need to progress a lot in role but is another extreme talent.

Fantasia - Depends on his role but as a wingman he's got massive potential as proven last year, role is everything though and uncertain at best even if he starts hot.

Bell/Christensen - Both coming off poor years where they struggled with fitness. Both proven premium level scorers. Both very tempting with the Lions midfield bereft of both size and penetration.

Daniher - It's going to click sooner or later and he had a very strong year last year in absurdly trying circumstances for a young KPF. This year he has help and a midfield, they really do help. If he kicks even moderately well instead of woefully he's a good 15 points up a game already.

Roughy - We all know the story, 5 straight seasons of strong durability (4 on this) and premium scoring but we have no idea how he bounces back. Captaincy is a nod that he's passing the eye test at training though, will watch very closely in preseason also as it's both a great story and a great fantasy prospect. Plus, having him in the team will feel good regardless and great if he helps us to greatness!

Brayshaw - Also had a mare of a year but is very talented. Role will be everything and is something I doubt Lewis helps with.

Steele - Has been an absolute machine in the NEAFL but couldn't get close to that Giants midfield. Will certainly have a chance at the Saints and a prime role could easily see him push the 90s. Pretty sure his numbers in the NEAFL were comparable to Tom Mitchell.

J. Carlisle - Watch his role but he has put up some very decent numbers as a CHB playing an intercept role in the past and I'd expect with the recruitment of N. Brown and with Dempster, Goddard and Roberton also there that you'd think that's the perfect role for him, not sure if he can hit a premium level but could be a very strong cash cow and late upgrade who goes somewhere close. There were a good 9 KPDs that averaged in the 84+ range last year which doesn't even include the smaller guys playing intercept roles like Laird, Shaw and Docherty in particular. Carlisle is better than most of them and priced at 62.

L. Weller - Super talented kid who's future is in the midfield, plenty of openings for another hard head in there, imo, and he is the top of the list to take it.

CEY - At least worth watching if he can secure an inside midfielder role given his scoring history in that role. Longshot though, imo, but that Lyons type role was lucrative last year.

J. Elliott - Strong preseason so far I believe and decent scoring history, mostly he's 30 points underpriced on his best and capable of very big scores that can spike his price, in other words he's a cash play with a dream of keeper more than a keeper play, imo. Last year I had several guys play this role very well but it's only relevant really if the rookie crop is a bit weaker like last years was. Playing Libba or Fantasia over Brown or Oliver was a big advantage for my side.

ANB - This is just for Sledge and Devo.

Have skipped a fair few guys that I think cases can be made for, I'm just not doing it
    Good right up mate.

Had a good chat to the father last week over a beer of one the Melbourne lads and he was saying terrific things about Goodwin's coaching abilities.

For that reason alone we can all see improvement in those guys you've mentioned from Melbourne.