SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    896 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Re: Rucks

If he's there in round 1 it's still going to be hard to resist, he's just about the best upside/price combination midprice guy this year in a position that has about 5 options to choose from and that will probably only have two real answers as per usual to the question of who is the right pick.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    589 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Finding the rucks super hard to pick as I'm very tempted by 4 options in Grundy, Goldstein, Martin and Sandilands. The first 3 all have the potential to average close to the 110 mark whilst Sandilands should be a nice cash cow who can put up alright numbers when he's on the field.

Darcy Cameron might be worth a look at as a fwd/ruck if you're considering rolling with Ryder in the forward line - which might be an option given the forwards aren't anywhere near as strong as they've been in the previous few seasons.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    896 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

No interest in Gawn there Dylan? He's got to be a strong option also.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    589 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wogitalia View Post
    No interest in Gawn there Dylan? He's got to be a strong option also.
    I feel Gawn is maxed out in price but I suppose that isn't exactly true either. His first couple of games were average and in rounds 8 and 9 he posted scores of 59 and 47. From round 10-23, he posted two sub 100 score (95 and 95). Over those final 13 games he averaged 115.9 DT so with that in mind I suppose he isn't exactly maxed out in value either.

I actually think this is the hardest I've ever found the ruck position to pick in my time of playing DT. Whilst in the past it's been hard due to the lack of options, there are basically 4 premiums that I really like. You could also make a case for some of others as well and that goes with Sandilands at a nice cheap price (excluding Ryder basically since he can be selected in the forwards).

From the 4 above, their best season averages -

Gawn - 106.5
    Goldstein - 113.9
    Martin - 114
    Grundy - 101

Insane to think about given all those averages have been posted in the past 2 seasons and prior to this lot, it was basically Cox then 10-15 points followed by the second best ruck.

FFC Football Operations Manager Hodges's Avatar
    Team
    HAWTHORN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saw this in an article on AFL website.

Who’s not?
    Ruckman Todd Goldstein (ankle) has been on a restricted program since Christmas, but North is confident he will be fit for round one
    http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-02-0...k-at-your-club
    Only ever talking SC

6. Likes KickItToButch, dylan123 liked this post
    Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    896 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Don't mind Goldstein on a restricted if he suits up in the preseason for the last game or two.

Agree @dylan123 , I'm really hoping Sandi is there in round 1 because I agree on the Grundy, Gawn, Goldstein and Martin 4 headed beast and it's damn hard to separate.

Martin - Backing a bounce back and far more DT than SC relevant, his age is the major concern but we have a well reported injury as the obvious reason for last seasons form as well as the concussion on top. So no reason he can't bounce back.

Goldy - Ditto on the bounce back and an obvious injury he carried and clearly changed form after it occurred. Very good proven record and durability is a massive bonus.

Gawn - Has limited upside but was the top ruck by a clear margin last year. If he improves like Goldy did in 2015, seemingly impossibly, then he is a season ruiner to not have (part of why I like Sandi to Gawn if it's on or avoid Gawn if it's not). Realistically I think that regression is the more likely event for him this year and his durability record is terrible of course.

Grundy - Backing a breakout to a new level he's never done. Have been hundreds of players over the years who tease the ability to go bigger and never do, Ryder who many like as a forward is a pretty classic example in recent times, Mumford is another. Of course there is a Gawn for every 5-10 of those who don't and there's something just better about nailing a breakout player (Hi Zach you beautiful manchild you!)

Think the case on all 4 is very strong and it's hard to start even one of them because if you're wrong and the other 3 all go, you're either done or down an upgrade trade instead, either way it hurts. At the same time, nail the starting rucks and it's Nirvana, it was a huge part last year for my success, starting the Gawn and Goldy combo was perfect.

Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On Martin I reckon Archie Smith is bound to get his fair share of games this year.

9. Likes Big Sledge #32, Elvs1 liked this post
    Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    923 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Mitch Cleary

Everyone loves a pre-season bolter. Toby Nankervis now Dimma's #1 coaches pet. Will start in the centre circle v Kreuzer on opening night.

Nankervis also has durability on his side, missing just 1 game in 3 seasons across all levels.
    Alternative to Sandi if wanting a cheap R2 possibly.
    SC is FFC's number 1 fantasy game

Team
    NORTH MELBOURNE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter Poster

Martin was terrible last year when he was in my team.... I doubt I can bring myself to have him in my squad again this year.

Thinking about the new ruck rules and who will be most benified.. Goldy under a cloud is a worry but should be back a few weeks before round 1 so we will know closer to the time.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    896 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Bunga View Post
    Alternative to Sandi if wanting a cheap R2 possibly.
    Will be an interesting one, never got a decent run at Sydney, he's almost worthless as a forward due to the lack of mobility but he could certainly provide a Mumford like approach around the ball and put up some decent scores. He did some really nice things in his chances but just got no consistent chances. Also, he's a decent enough forward as an R1 it's as an R2 where he is forward most that he has issues because you need more from him, can clunk a mark or two and kick a goal just doesn't provide a consistent target or any real ground pressure.

Certainly his spot to lose at the Tigers though and he's an upgrade on the fossil of Maric.

Do not see him putting up keeper numbers though unless the bar moves backwards a fair way. Think he's an 85/95 type guy as a reasonable best case.

FFC Agent of Chaos Big Sledge #32's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    577 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Which tap ruckmen benefit most from the third man up changes?

The likes of Gawn and Goldy copped it a lot so there might be some points to pick up there. A Gawn > Lewis could be a very effective tap combo going into 2017.

Grundy is hinting at natural improvement and a stellar midfield to work with.

Sandi has interest from a budget perspective but I will wait and see if he's still healthy come round 1 before actually counting on him.
    Baltimore Ravens Superbowl XLVII Champions
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkee View Post
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

i'm def tempted by Ryder. my only hesitation is the question mark over what it means to be out for 12 months. Otherwise he is a very cheap #1 ruck, with a history of scoring in that position, likely to have the job unchallenged.
    TEX WALKER. that is all.

15. Likes Elvs1 liked this post
    Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    896 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Crow-mo View Post
    i'm def tempted by Ryder. my only hesitation is the question mark over what it means to be out for 12 months. Otherwise he is a very cheap #1 ruck, with a history of scoring in that position, likely to have the job unchallenged.
    Like him much more as a forward as the coverage for the ruck position. The forwards are a lot weaker than the rucks this year so he should be a premium instead of an almost premium if he can get anywhere near his best. I think asking him to improve on his best seasons by 10-15 points in both formats is probably an ask too much in both formats but getting back to his third best season even would get him in the top 10 starting averages for the forwards. Plus that cover could add a good 5ppg to his actual average if he covers a zero somewhere (particularly relevant in SC where you have the ability to cover much better).

His bye is another massive bonus.

17. Likes Bunga liked this post
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    589 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Agreed, currently have him in my forward line.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    322 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wogitalia View Post
    His bye is another massive bonus.
    This