ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    578 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Rucks

All discussion to do with Rucks.

Note: If you are talking about a player for only one competition please state if it is for DT or SC.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    578 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Rucks

Have a couple of options I think I prefer more at this point but I think S.Martin is still worth discussing as an option.

The bump, the concussion, and May's suspension, may have been the talking point of the incident, but for Martin, the pain in his knee was a much bigger problem.

It restricted him for most of the season and eventually led to an end-of-season bursectomy to fix the problem.

"Pretty much every step I was taking I was in pain so jogging was painful [and] I couldn't reach top speed," Martin said.

"I just wasn't happy with my season. I would put it down to the knee but either way I felt a little bit embarrassed to be in third spot [in the B&F] just because my output wasn't what I wanted it to be," Martin said.

However that experience has made the 199cm mobile ruckman desperate to make amends next season.

Although still in the rehab group he is enjoying a week down at Launceston with his teammates and in particular being able to once again do leg weights and speed work at training.

"It is like I am a first year [player] in that way so it is really exciting. [I'm] largely pain free [and] able to do everything, which is the important thing whereas I was really limited last year," Martin said.
    http://www.lions.com.au/news/2016-12...-hope-for-2017

Wasn't aware of him carrying an knee issue during the season but that might help give a reason for his average from from 112-114 of the previous two seasons to 89. Said in another thread, but he finished the season off strongly with him scoring 100+ in every game he played from rounds 13-23 (played 8 games in that period) outside of round 21 where A.Smith was also playing. Even with that Smith game included, his average was still at 103.9 over that 8 game period.

The other unknown factor is how Fagan might change things however it's hard to see how it would hurt Martin too much as Smith is really his only other competition for a role in the ruck and if you've been given a team with a ruckman that can get involved around the ground like Martin can, I'm not sure why you'd want to remove that.

FFC Football Operations Manager KickItToButch's Avatar
    Team
    PORT ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going to go with Grundy/Martin in SC.

then maybe upgrade one to Gawn once he drops in price.

Think S Martin will be a big improver in 2017 with a new coach in place.

Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    289 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grundy/Sandi early thoughts.

Gawn, Goldy and Martin will all be watched though.

Team
    PORT ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question is can Sandi get through to the byes unscathed? If he can he's def worth the risk at the price. If he goes down injured early your going to be stuffed as he'll be at that awkward price.
    The only around this I think would be by picking Ryder as F4 and a rookie DPP ruck/fwd as in D Cameron (SYD). Ryder carries his own question marks though after playing no footy last season.

Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    289 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he gets through the pre-season I'll be happy to take that risk, flying at the moment from all reports.

7. Likes KickItToButch liked this post
    Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    906 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Sandilands is 308,200 in SC with 5 of Freo's first 7 weeks at Domain Stadium - if fit round 1, I am locking him in.

Amazing value - averaged over 107 SC in 2014 & 2015 playing 21 games in both seasons.
    SC is FFC's number 1 fantasy game

9. Likes Elvs1, KickItToButch liked this post
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    578 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

With his price he's going to be hard to turn down if he can remain in good shape for the remainder of the pre season.

If Goldy/Grundy/Martin can stay in good shape then the rucks will be really fun to select, especially with some of the other lesser options as well (Gawn isn't a lesser option as such, just without the value the others hold).

FFC Assistant Coach TIGERLICIOUS's Avatar
    Team
    RICHMOND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Think 2017 might be a year to set and forget in the rucks with so many strong premium options. Maybe that's just the fact I still can't wash the Bellchambers experience from my mouth haha!

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    869 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Rucks are very easy for me right now. Goldy and Sandi in SC if they're fit round one and nothing leftfield happens with Sandi going to Gawn/Martin/Grundy or even staying Sandi if he flies and Gawn comes back to the pack.

DT will be a bit harder but it's basically Grundy, Martin, Goldy, Gawn and Sandi again for me.

Depending on how the forward landscape plays out I will very strongly consider Ryder and/or Tippett as forwards for the cover (a rookie ruck also impacts this).
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Gawn and Sandi in SC, with Grundy and Sandi in DT.

The third-man-up should help Gawn, as IIRC some of his lower scores last year were from teams just third-man-upping him for large parts of the game, plus Melbourne should improve as a team. Not as sold on him for DT, though he should, or rather could at least improve a little.

Grundy on the other hand is almost locked into my DT. Super finish to 2016, and IMO there's a lot more scope for improvement.

Will hold on Goldy, though the West Coast fixture in Round 1 could be a bit of a bonus!

Team
    PORT ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tempting to run with Grundy and Martin in SC, Gawn and Sandilands in RDT.

Third man up rule will help the taller rucks in DT, maybe not so much in SC as you only get the points for effective hitouts, so it could be negative thing to some rucks.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    869 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by KickItToButch View Post
    Tempting to run with Grundy and Martin in SC, Gawn and Sandilands in RDT.

Third man up rule will help the taller rucks in DT, maybe not so much in SC as you only get the points for effective hitouts, so it could be negative thing to some rucks.
    Reckon it will help even more in SC, no having to be on the lookout for another player coming in so can focus entirely on midfield position and will have more clean hitouts. The good ruckmen will use that, imo, to their advantage even more.

Other hidden aspect is it should make knocks and bruises less common for them as they're the main targets in the past of 3rd men up crashing into them.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...9ab1e687859481

AARON Sandilands’ trouble-free pre-season has hit a late snag thanks to a calf strain which will rule him out of the start of the JLT Community Series.

The club this afternoon confirmed the giant ruckman experienced tightness in his left leg during training on Monday.

Subsequent scans showed a “minor” strain in his left calf, just weeks out from Fremantle’s opening pre-season fixture against West Coast on February 25.

A club spokesman said Sandilands would train with the rehabilitation group for the next three to five weeks.
    Doesn't rule him out by any means but calf injuries can be problematic at his age and it certainly take him from a likely lock to a watch and see.

Team
    PORT ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It still remains a matter of not if, when he does get injured during the season.