HAWTHORN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Rucks

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sledge #32 View Post
    I think at this point I've settled on rolling with Gawn and Grundy.

I saw a post on their early schedules and they are both pretty tasty. So despite preseason worries I'm starting to think they won't regress anywhere near as much as we'd need for them to be gettable and they may actually sustain their ridiculous 2018 years. I don't feel comfortable on taking anyone else so it makes the decision easier.

Gawn essentially was their lead intercept defender from the moment Lever went down. It was an interesting tactical decision that occurred out of necessity and I expect it is something they continue given how well it worked for them.
    I'm doing the same and for the same reasons.
    When taking on moves like this its two fold, one you need the player to drop in scoring and pick the right value player, but you need to invest the money saved wisely.
    I sometimes feel when I take a cheaper option and get an extra 100-200k to spend, that money doesn't always reap the benefits it should.

2. Likes Narkee liked this post
    Team
    CARLTON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wheedus View Post
    Daniher has reportedly done a calf and will be sidelined for a month. Possibly assists Zac Clarke's prospects. Zac or Smac?
    Zomg. Must resist Clarke R2!!! (Even as a forward role, I think he could go 70+, probably better than a lot of rookies on people's grounds.)

Think he's a lock for R3 though if named for Round 1.
    AFL Twitter --------------------------- This post is SC related--------------------------Movie Twitter

Team
    HAWTHORN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Athomas View Post
    Zomg. Must resist Clarke R2!!! (Even as a forward role, I think he could go 70+, probably better than a lot of rookies on people's grounds.)

Think he's a lock for R3 though if named for Round 1.
    Do you reckon you'll play a non playing person in one of the other lines so you can still VC/C loop if Clarke is playing?
    I've always taken a non playing at R3 but never liked to in the other lines.
    Have to wait till teams but the rookies are looking ok this year, and after a couple of rounds you normally have a non playing by then.

Got the same dilemma in RDT as well this year with rolling lockout there too.

Will be hard to resist if everyone's vc pumps out a 150+ in R1.

5. Likes Athomas liked this post
    FFC Agent of Chaos Big Sledge #32's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    577 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elvs1 View Post
    I'm doing the same and for the same reasons.
    When taking on moves like this its two fold, one you need the player to drop in scoring and pick the right value player, but you need to invest the money saved wisely.
    I sometimes feel when I take a cheaper option and get an extra 100-200k to spend, that money doesn't always reap the benefits it should.
    Yeah, I feel way more confident in Brodie Smith/Zac Williams getting within 5 points of the cut off for D6 than I am of nailing a third ruck to get within 5-10 of whoever out of Grundy/Gawn finishes as R2
    Baltimore Ravens Superbowl XLVII Champions
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkee View Post
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos

7. Likes Wheedus liked this post
    Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    322 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sledge #32 View Post
    Yeah, I feel way more confident in Brodie Smith/Zac Williams getting within 5 points of the cut off for D6 than I am of nailing a third ruck to get within 5-10 of whoever out of Grundy/Gawn finishes as R2
    Nailed it
    Proud coach of Big Jenny Talia FFC
    SC 2013 - 11th
    SC 2014
    - 16th
    SC 2015 and beyond - foetal position

"Yonnies in the wind, we're ruggin' up for winter"

FFC Senior Assistant Coach hendo8888's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just realised Hoff is a ruck/forward.
    Considering running him in the forward line, with Clarke and Schlensog.
    Don't really want to pay all the money for Gawn, when Preuss is there. Even though Goodwin has effectively told us that Preuss isn't going to play.
    Thing that worries me, is with Ryder and Lycett in, Westhoff won't get as much time around the ball.
    This post was more than likely SC based.
    If in doubt, assume it was.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by hendo8888 View Post
    Just realised Hoff is a ruck/forward.
    Considering running him in the forward line, with Clarke and Schlensog.
    Don't really want to pay all the money for Gawn, when Preuss is there. Even though Goodwin has effectively told us that Preuss isn't going to play.
    Thing that worries me, is with Ryder and Lycett in, Westhoff won't get as much time around the ball.
    I personally think that Westhoff has a stronger case for a 10 point drop off than Gawn. Preuss not only was dropped for JLT2 but was injured playing in the reserves and limped off not to return, listed as a groin and test. Given he's a trash forward, that Weideman has proven solid in the ruck (and McDonald for that matter) and that he's carrying an injury I just don't expect to see Preuss much at all (I still have no idea why he signed there).

I also think that right now I'd start Gawn over Grundy if picking between the two. Gawn has proven he can score at that level before while Grundy is the one off with the less than ideal preseason after copping a late injury.

Even then, I just can't find the alternative still.

Clarke I'd take as r3 if he's playing, not sure Daniher really helps him that much though the thinner the KP stocks get the closer he is to game time for sure. Would think they go with Brown and Stringer so probably still comes down to whether the want to go tall and pick SMac/Clarke or go a bit smaller, positive is neither of Brown or Stringer are really ruck options so probably do need a 2nd ruck and Woosha is pretty traditional so I'd expect him to go that way even more than most other clubs. Clarke ruining the loophole is worth it for the cash although he would open up the Mumford option for those wanting it if he is named and he could be used for the loophole for the first couple of weeks which is really all you generally ever need it for, if you make it to round 3 and still have all your rookies playing you're already winning anyway! Of course watch him get named, me not have a loophole planned and then Cripps going for 200 and torment me
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

11. Likes Wheedus liked this post
    Team
    CARLTON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elvs1 View Post
    Do you reckon you'll play a non playing person in one of the other lines so you can still VC/C loop if Clarke is playing?
    I've always taken a non playing at R3 but never liked to in the other lines.
    Have to wait till teams but the rookies are looking ok this year, and after a couple of rounds you normally have a non playing by then.

Got the same dilemma in RDT as well this year with rolling lockout there too.

Will be hard to resist if everyone's vc pumps out a 150+ in R1.
    Yeah itís a great query, canít resist Clarke if named so it would be really short term aka did Cripps go 150+, did an EMG go 90+ like Gibbons or Constable or something. Did someone like like one of the Port rookies not get named so you can loop them for a few weeks with the expectation they play early etc.
    AFL Twitter --------------------------- This post is SC related--------------------------Movie Twitter

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Athomas View Post
    Yeah it’s a great query, can’t resist Clarke if named so it would be really short term aka did Cripps go 150+, did an EMG go 90+ like Gibbons or Constable or something. Did someone like like one of the Port rookies not get named so you can loop them for a few weeks with the expectation they play early etc.
    Clarke, or if I'm desperate for cash my other r3, are the only loops I'm interested in which is why I expect Cripps to go supersaiyan and make it a really hard choice.

Mostly though it's because I'll back myself to gain more points with an extra 150k than anything the loophole provides in the first couple of rounds, not to mention that Clarke playing in say round 4 and covering an out would be worth more than a loophole most likely on it's own. That and the fact that I lost points by looping last year so I can't really say I'm fond of it right now

14. Likes Athomas liked this post
    Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

If he’s named it brings Mumford back into play.

Basically it comes down to whether Clarke + a mid premium is going to outscore a mid rookie and one of Gawn/Grundy. Unless you can put the cash to better use elsewhere.

16. Likes Wheedus, Notorious_29, Hodges liked this post
    Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although mega unlikely and pointless to guess, but those with some uncertainty over Gawn and looking for reason to not pick.
    They play away to the Gold Coast in round 8 before having to back up on a 6 day break vs West Coast in Perth, the start of a pretty tough month with 4 of best rucks and teams in the competition. Gws, adel and pies.
    If there was ever a good spot to rest him its that gold coast game

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

18. Likes Hodges, Athomas liked this post
    Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by lifelike_ View Post
    If he’s named it brings Mumford back into play.

Basically it comes down to whether Clarke + a mid premium is going to outscore a mid rookie and one of Gawn/Grundy. Unless you can put the cash to better use elsewhere.
    2nd part of this equation though is whether Mumford or equivalent priced player elsewhere is more likely to become a premium (I'd argue it's elsewhere regardless).

3rd part is will Gawn/Grundy fall far enough to justify not starting them. If they drop 5 points it's arguable whether it's worth the trades (can be worth it if Mummy kills it, obviously). If they drop 15 odd points, then the value in not starting them is huge as they should drop pretty significantly in price

It's a complicated equation, the worst part would be to get the idea right and then pick the wrong one of Grundy and Gawn and end up wrong anyway

20. Likes lifelike_ liked this post
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    589 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Currently have Grundy/Gawn in DT and Gawn/Goldstein in SC.

Also considering Goldy in DT. Kind of the hope that he can bridge that gap somewhat and return to form of a few years ago. The cash I get from him ahead of Grundy really helps polish up the rest of the team whereas without, I'm stretched a touch thin and possibly with rookies I'd not have/without rookies I'd prefer to have.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by dylan123 View Post
    Currently have Grundy/Gawn in DT and Gawn/Goldstein in SC.

Also considering Goldy in DT. Kind of the hope that he can bridge that gap somewhat and return to form of a few years ago. The cash I get from him ahead of Grundy really helps polish up the rest of the team whereas without, I'm stretched a touch thin and possibly with rookies I'd not have/without rookies I'd prefer to have.
    I'm ending up basically in the reverse, I have basically everything I want with Grundy and Gawn and can't find a meaningful place to spend the difference if I go down

Team
    ST KILDA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I've gone Grundy/Gawn in SC and Grundy/Goldy in DT.