Team
    GEELONG
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Re: Midfield Premiums

Con #2 is the only one making me second guess at the moment.
    Zach Tuohy my boy for 2017!

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    478 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter Poster - A great twitter poster on behalf of FFC and TFP

Doesnt Rocky have a historically bad average with Beams in the side?
    hoff.

3. Likes Elvs1 liked this post
    Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeta View Post
    Doesnt Rocky have a historically bad average with Beams in the side?
    You can really only go off 2015 and in the period they played together (up until round 16 or so) Rockliff had a really ban run with injuries including a bad knock to the ribs and a concussion.

I can't see any reason as to why they both can't score well if they both get a good run with injuries. It's also a rare occurrence for both these guys to get a full pre season.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

As always, epic group... Hard to know where to draw the line on this cluster. I've gone with 105 as that's the point that is more than 5 points outside the top 8 scorers which is basically how I've decided on the other positions... it does leave some absurd names outside the "premium" category this year though.

Patrick Dangerfield -
    Durable, absurd scoring, best captaincy candidate going around. Shitty round 14 bye and the Ablett addition are basically the only remote issues for him along with likely being top priced and just costing a metric shit ton.

Prediction - 120-145 - I think he probably sustains the 135 from last year.
    Verdict - Exceptional starting option. Risky upgrade target due to non-ownership risk and captaincy risk.

Dustin Martin - 127.5 over his last 18 games, seems to have gained CD favour on the back of last year. As long as he hasn't overextended himself in celebration he's a strong captaincy option, super durable and a beast. Only 1 score under 100 in those 18 games as well which will make bargain hunting him a bit harder. Does tend to start a bit slow though historically so could still be the right play if he does again. Round 14 bye also is an issue.

Prediction - 110-135 - I expect he maintains the above pace to around 125.
    Verdict - Strong starting option, explainable as an upgrade target but risky as well as a likely 3+ trade upgrade.

Tom Mitchell - Broke out in SC last year on sheer weight of numbers. Still a terrible SC scorer so will need to maintain his otherworldy DT production to remain a true premium, Dane Swan like. He's capable of it. Round 11 bye is facourable, durability has become a strength the past couple of years. Just prolific and if he ever were to get his ratio going in the right direction he'd be scary.

Prediction - 110-135 - Expecting 115-120 again.
    Verdict - Strong starting option with captaincy potential. Ridiculously consistent last year making him a tough upgrade.

Gary Ablett - Durability is the killer here. His bye is a kicker given the other names that are available on that bye at significant discounts. Not sure Ablett can even bounce back to past heights and isn't just going to be working to sustain. Never know and he's a champ and maybe now that he cares about football again he'll get the body right and go boom. There are just too many ifs and unknowns in this for me personally. Kudos to anyone who backs in the little master and gets it right.

Prediction - 100-130 - Thinking 105-110 personally.
    Verdict - I don't like as a starting pick and wouldn't touch as an upgrade given durability.

Josh Kelly - Epic breakout last year when he capitalised on advanced opportunity and went ballistic. My major concern this year is if Coniglio, Whitfield, Taranto and Hopper are all fit this year that they might not share the load a bit better this year as has been their tendency in the past. Kelly is an absurd talent with a pretty much perfect fantasy game of sublime skills and brilliant contested skills as well as scoreboard impact though so it's easy to see him being on the Ablett level sooner rather than later. Favourable r13 bye doesn't hurt his cause.

Prediction - 105-140 - I think he pushes towards 120 this year but I can also see 105 with a better workload share.
    Verdict - High risk/reward starting option. Safer but potentially prohibitive upgrade target.

Clayton Oliver - His second season is just absurd. Perfect SC game and it's hard to really see where he improves other than sheer quantity. His improvement from year 1 to 2 though suggests that he'll not die wondering on the training track and that improvement is still logical. No one has ever been that good in their 2nd season so there's just no comparison point but the sky is the limit. Round 13 bye as well.

Prediction - 100-135 - Wide open, I think 110 though and a consolidation year is in order.
    Verdict - Riskier starting pick with no proven track record but has genuine upside as well. Upgrade target is certainly the safer call.

Dayne Zorko - Another breakout guy last year who continued his yearly ascent to stardom. More opportunities this year without Rockliff seem likely but not sure what he can do to go higher without the team winning more. He's basically the perfect SC player being capped by a bad team. I think his upside is limited a bit by that.

Prediction - 100-120 - Think he holds firm.
    Verdict - Think he's low upside in a high upside crowd, so upgrade target for mine.

Matt Crouch - Ridiculous close to the season and there is no reason to expect that to change. Prolific extractor who hits targets and makes great decisions and tackles. Sloane eats tags by being so bad against them and the kid is just a beast. Averaged 122 over the last 16 including finals. Gibbs is the big question mark and r14 bye is a pain.

Prediction - 105-135 - Think he sustains 120 range.
    Verdict - Very strong starting option given his sustained scoring and upside from last season. Upgrade will be hard if he sustains LY closing form.

Rory Sloane - The opposite of Crouch, finished really poorly as he wilted under tag after tag. Until he beats them that should logically continue so it's a major concern. When he isn't tagged he's got 130 level ability and a super natural fantasy game. Gibbs and his bye are the secondary concerns for him, that and Crouch seemingly being the better option from the same team given current trajectories. Contract focus will be interesting as well, some thrive and some struggle with it.

Prediction - 100-120 - Tagged a lot to a 105 average for mine.
    Verdict - I don't like him this year due to the tags. Can't see him not getting tagged at all, especially early on, which makes him an upgrade target to me, if he can't beat the tags he'll be cheap, if he can he'll be worth paying for.

Mitch Duncan -
    Breakout player again. Massive jump for him. Ablett and his bye are the major issues for mine. Durability has been great and I see no other reason than Ablett his scoring should decline as last year has felt like it was coming for a while.

Prediction - 95-115 - Think a regression to 105ish is likely.
    Verdict - Starting him would just come at the cost of too many better options, imo. Upgrade after his bye is viable but very late. You'd be PODing him against Martin, Danger, Swans, Crows and Dockers options basically, I think that's a loser.

Zach Merrett - Strong option on the prolific but not natural SC mould. R13 bye is in his favour but I think the Bombers midfield will continue to add depth and be less reliant on him to do everything so think he's probably fairly priced at this point.

Prediction - 105-120 - Expecting 110ish.
    Verdict - Solid enough pick but think he's low upside compared to the field.

Lachie Neale - Second consistently good season. Underrated option. R14 bye is a nightmare though. Like Duncan it's more about who you're not taking to take Neale than Neale himself. Think he's a solid enough player but hard to see the massive scope for improvement. Team improvement seems the most likely cause.

Prediction - 105-120, expecting 110ish.
    Verdict - Same as Duncan ultimately for me.

Nat Fyfe - Speaking of those options. Finished last year very strong (130 over last 5 games) and looked to be regaining his best form. Durability is a major stumbling block but he's a proven 125 type scorer with the potential to push into the 130s and he's priced below 110. Bye is a moungrel.

Prediction - 105-135, thinking 120s.
    Verdict - Strong starting option, hard to justify upgrading into his durability.

Marc Murphy - Too limited on the upside with major durability issues for me personally. Last year was his first full season and healthy season since 2011. The rare r12 bye might be his biggest selling point to me.

Prediction - 95-115 - Leaning 105ish
    Verdict - Feels like a high risk, low reward starting option or upgrade target.

Taylor Adams -
    Had a pretty much perfect season for him last year. His ratio is an issue that I don't see changing because he's a butcher. His durability has been woeful until last year and while it's possible he's got his body right for the AFL it's also a risky thing to bet on. There is some upside potential but feels like there is more downside to me. r13 bye is nice.

Prediction - 95-115 - Thinking 100-105 range.
    Verdict - Like Duncan, I feel starting him is giving up too many stronger options, durability limits upgrade potential also, imo.

Jack Macrae -
    Round 12 bye is super handy. Perfect storm of a season last year for a career year. Not a natural SC scorer though and with so many cooks in the kitchen it's hard to see significant upside and not see just as much downside.

Prediction - 90-110 - Thinking 100ish.
    Verdict - Again not worth the risk, imo, given how many guys with proven higher ceilings are available for less.

Scott Pendlebury - Speaking of those proven higher ceilings for less guys. Up to 23 underpriced on his best and still 10 points under his worst season in the last 7. Durability has been a strength outside last year, scoring potential is 130ish and bye is decent. Hard to not want him.

Prediction - 105-130 - Thinking 115-120.
    Verdict - Very strong starting pick.

Marcus Bontempelli - Started like a house on fire last year then faded, hard. His upside potential is scary but I can't help but feel like a broken record on the Dogs players being cannibals. Wallis, Liberatore, Dahlhaus, McLean, Bont, Macrae, Hunter, Jong and JJ all looking to get theirs. He's a r12 bye though which is very favourable, although also makes him an appealing upgrade target.

Prediction - 100-130 - Thinking 105-110 again though.
    Verdict - Solid starter pick if he shows the right role in preseason, think his bye makes him more of an upgrade target though.

That's everyone above 105, crazy some of the names I didn't get to when you think about it. JPK, Selwood, Cripps, Parkers, Hanners, Rockliff and Treloar all among them.

The hardest part on the above is going to be trying to justify picking anyone who isn't 10+ points underpriced given some of the guys who are at least that underpriced. Makes it harder to choose the unproven guys as well when guys with strong track records have discounts on them. Only Pendles and Ablett didn't play 21 games of this group as well, which is also crazy.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

6. Likes Notorious_29, dylan123, Bunga liked this post
    Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    921 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Personally think that Patrick Cripps is almost a no brainer pick in SC this year. Averaged 107.6 in 2016 with a limited preseason.Towards the end of the 2015 season he had a 4 game stretch where he averaged 130. Has had a full preseason so far for the first time in his career - looking in awesome shape. He turns 23 years this year and it will be his fifth season so approaching his prime. He’s an absolute beast, boasting the biggest frame of any midfielder in the game and near impossible to stop at the coal face. The other factor to keep in mind is that Sam Docherty is out for all of 2018 - Carlton's gun fantasy player for the last few years. With no Doc, much more points on offer for the the other star blue players, Cripps is one that really should cash in - priced at 537K, I am locking him in.
    SC is FFC's number 1 fantasy game

8. Likes Elvs1, Crow-mo, Athomas liked this post
    Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Bunga View Post
    Personally think that Patrick Cripps is almost a no brainer pick in SC this year. Averaged 107.6 in 2016 with a limited preseason.Towards the end of the 2015 season he had a 4 game stretch where he averaged 130. Has had a full preseason so far for the first time in his career - looking in awesome shape. He turns 23 years this year and it will be his fifth season so approaching his prime. He’s an absolute beast, boasting the biggest frame of any midfielder in the game and near impossible to stop at the coal face. The other factor to keep in mind is that Sam Docherty is out for all of 2018 - Carlton's gun fantasy player for the last few years. With no Doc, much more points on offer for the the other star blue players, Cripps is one that really should cash in - priced at 537K, I am locking him in.
    He falls into the midprice guys by my groupings but I agree, as evidenced by my draft team!

I don't think the Doch element helps Cripps though, he's not a guy who is going to get more rebound or intercept marks I don't think. On the flip side of that, Gibbs is the guy who is gone that does change the Cripps equation though, Gibbs was their other coalface guy so Cripps is now numero uno undisputed and probably numero duo as well.

Kreuzer's emergence should help him as well but I do have slight concerns that part of Kreuzer's emergence was becoming the bull at stoppages with Cripps out. Now I think Cripps is more likely to reclaim that role but Kreuzer's best work is similar.

Mostly though it's the preseason with Cripps, he's never had one and he's not been able to stay fit largely because of that, imo. The long list of guys who "get their bodies right" after a strong preseason is huge (Cotchin, Gray and Titch for example) and Cripps seems primed for that.

His bye is also very favourable.

Biggest question on Cripps is purely the other options around him. Selwood, Rockliff, Parker, Hanners, Treloar, Beams, Cotchin, Shiel, Shuey, Hall and Coniglio (much cheaper) are all similar prices with similar or even better past records to him, there is just an absurd amount of 110+ guys in the 90-100 range this year of pricing.

Team
    CARLTON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On Dusty, I had heard some info regarding his MCG performances, so thought I'd look back at 2017 (and included 2016 too) statistics.

MCG: 86, 134, 79, 127, 115, 118, 111, 167, 129, 152, 114, 123, 97, 82,
    116.7 average across 14 games

Not MCG: 81, 83, 133, 74, 84, 111, 92, 87
    93 average across 8 games

2017:
    MCG: 159, 118, 155, 92, 105, 125, 106, 121, 150, 119, 146, 158, 114, 150
    129.9 average across 14 games

Not MCG: 54, 93, 87, 144, 166, 121, 74, 111, 142, 113, 130
    112.2 average across 11 games

So in 2016 there was a 23.7 point differential. This wasn't as big last year but still a 17.7 point differential which is considerable enough.

The main reason I was looking at this is because of Richmond's draw for 2018, as per below:

2018:
    MCG, AO, MCG, MCG, MCG, MCG, MCG, ES, OS, MCG, MCG, AO, MCG
    BYE
    ES, MCG, SPO, ES, MCG, MCG, MS, MCG, MCG

9/13 pre-bye MCG, 5/10 post-bye MCG

To me, this makes me think it will be harder for him to be an upgrade target before his bye and after his bye he only has 50% games at the MCG too. When Dusty was cheap last year, it was after a 54 (Gabba Round 4), 92 (MCG Round 5), 93 (AO Round 6), 87 (Docklands Round 7). There will be no such run this year in all likelihood, as he has MCG games from Rounds 2 to 7. Post bye is when he has 3/4 games not at the MCG, which is too late to upgrade him in Round 18 etc.

Just food for thought, I am warming to starting him now.
    AFL Twitter --------------------------- This post is SC related--------------------------Movie Twitter

11. Likes Notorious_29 liked this post
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    589 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I wonder when we will see a swing back to taggers again. Dusty is probably one of those guys that will be less affected than most but it would certain change how a few score depending on the attention they receive - Sloane being the case in point last year.

13. Likes KickItToButch liked this post
    Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by dylan123 View Post
    I wonder when we will see a swing back to taggers again. Dusty is probably one of those guys that will be less affected than most but it would certain change how a few score depending on the attention they receive - Sloane being the case in point last year.
    Dusty has been pretty good against them, hence why they stopped. That and Cotchin still has a really hard time so they go to him instead.

I think that teams will stick to tagging rebounding defenders because the effectiveness is far greater and you're not really a man down on the attack when you do it. Other than a few rare exceptions who just can't seem to break a tag (Sloane for example) I don't think many teams will do it.

That said, will be interesting to see how Jacobs is used by North this year with his return. It's obviously been his bread and butter but they don't figure to be a very competitive side so I wonder if they might see what he can do as an attacking midfielder this year.

Otherwise I think part of the lack of taggers is how many of the coaches come from the Clarkson coaching tree at this point and the Hawks have never really tagged in the middle under him and have instead preferred forward pressure. Basically half the coaches are from under Clarko at this point.

I would think that Kelly, Oliver, Zorko, Sloane and a few others are the guys most likely to get some tags this year, either guys who haven't shown they can beat them or guys who've shown susceptibility to them in the past.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Should add that it doesn't hurt that the Tigers, Dogs, Swans, Crows, Cats and Giants, who are the current bench marks in the comp, all don't tag. AFL is very much a copycat league so that's a strong influence as well.

Team
    HAWTHORN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reckon we'll see a similar trend this year to the last couple, first third of the year very little tagging.
    Then one team will do it very successfully against a big name and it will come back in vogue for a few rounds then die out again towards the end of the year.

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    322 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elvs1 View Post
    Reckon we'll see a similar trend this year to the last couple, first third of the year very little tagging.
    Then one team will do it very successfully against a big name and it will come back in vogue for a few rounds then die out again towards the end of the year.
    This ^
    Proud coach of Big Jenny Talia FFC
    SC 2013 - 11th
    SC 2014
    - 16th
    SC 2015 and beyond - foetal position

"Yonnies in the wind, we're ruggin' up for winter"

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    589 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Still struggling to decide which Crows midfielder/s I want to go with.

M.Crouch and Gibbs looked fantastic on the weekend in the practice match with 36 and 27 touches each.

Worth noting Crouch played 82% TOG which is where he peaked last season for 1 game so potentially worked on his tank some more which could see him on the field a little longer. Basically think it's hard to ignore Matt with how he finished last year, huge ball magnet who doesn't look like he'll ever receive any attention and just doesn't ever appear to sotruggle to get it - low of 27 touches last year and finished the season with 11 straight 30+ disposal games.

Gibbs look very nice running through the midfield and just adds that extra bit of class. Talk of him also pushing back/forward, basically I think he'll be on the field for as long as he can manage, helping carry it out of the backline and also be a midfield goal scorer - comes to a team that averaged 110 points a game so potentially the ability to have more shots on goal then what he had at Carlton. Durability is a tick and a couple of strong season averages - SC actually dropped last year as his DT went up.

Think Sloane could be underrated due to the tagging attention he received last year. In DT last year he had 9 130+ scores with 5 being 149+. Was averaging 118.5 after 10 rounds with 3 60's scores in that which makes the average pretty damn scary. Past 4 years he's averaged (most recent to oldest) 107, 106.2, 95.3 (the year he had 2 broken jaws and subbed off 3 times) and 104.5 so the consistency is there as well. The tag is the only question mark which is something you'd expect Adelaide would have worked with him on in the pre season and the addition of Gibbs should help as the other 3 playing strongly will negate any potential tag to Sloane. It will come though, just hopeful/expecting that he'll be a little more prepared to face it this time around.

Brad Crouch is the final one and probably the weakest option due to durability but shouldn't be ruled out either. Pre season seems to be tracking along alright, I think they're still taking a pretty cautious approach with him to make sure they don't overdo him. Very little info comes out of the Crows these days so it's hard to know exactly but they have wrapped him up in wool a little and had him in some restricted sessions but I think no major time missed is a pretty big tick in itself for Brad as I can't remember the last time he hasn't had some kind of problem that's seen him miss at least a few weeks. Anyways, once he got rolling after a month of playing last year he was a very solid scorer, averaging 110 DT in his final 16 games of the season (with an average of 28.3 touches). Again, just staying on the park will see him improve as a scorer. Biggest concern for mine is he hasn't had any major scores to date with him peaking in the 130s. Handballs more than he kicks and isn't known to racking up marks either. What helps him is a big tackle average but that's the downside.

Will be interesting to hopefully see all 4 play in the final practice match to see how they all roll together but I think each could be picked and the first 3 probably really strong options with Brad falling over a bit with the durability and not yet hitting any monster scores to make the temptation stronger.

19. Likes Crow-mo liked this post
    Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

If Sloane avoids tags or learns how to score even remotely decently with them, he's got absurd upside. That's a monster if though given just how bad he has been against them to date.

Brouch durability is just too much risk, like him but he's already being managed and restricted through the offseason.

Mrouch is just a case of trying to find a way to pick him for me, gun.

Gibbs is an interesting one, the better team probably helps his SC candidacy more but he's never been good in that format so it's a tough sell. DT the question will become is whether there is enough ball to go around and also as the only really versatile midfielder he's the obvious candidate for more extended time off the ball.

FFC Agent of Chaos Big Sledge #32's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    577 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm taking Matt in SC. He's not going to get tagged with Gibbs and Sloane in the side. He should be that ridiculously consistent presence for us barring injury. Sloane could start hot but that will just remind someone to try tagging him again. His upside is immense I agree though.

Brad is essentially our M4 now which is great for us, especially as he should improve. But I think the three others will average more than him.

I can't work out how limited his preseason has been this year.
    Baltimore Ravens Superbowl XLVII Champions
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkee View Post
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos