Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    585 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Midfield Premiums

All discussion to do with Midfield Premiums.

Note: If you are talking about a player for only one competition please state if it is for DT or SC.

FFC Football Operations Manager KickItToButch's Avatar
    Team
    PORT ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Midfield Premiums

JPK, Treloar, Danger, Bonts lock and load!

Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    917 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Is anyone considering Murphy as an alternative to Beams for an underpriced mid premium?

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...09-gtodzs.html

Carlton says Marc Murphy is over the ankle injury that crippled his 2016 season, and the club believes he has returned an even better leader.

The midfield star, who didn't play after round 10 last year, is back to full training and will lead his teammates on to the park for the first day of pre-season on Wednesday.

"There will still be a process and there will be every year," football boss Andrew McKay told Fairfax Media.

"But in staying that, the only way he wouldn't be [captain] is if the players didn't vote for him and that wouldn't happen."

McKay has praised Murphy's growth as a leader since he was struck down with syndesmosis in his ankle midway through 2016.

Despite being close to returning on several occasions, Murphy never made it back but McKay is adamant he's now 100 per cent fit.

"It was just unfortunate and I don't think we would've done anything different," he said.

"Doctors were saying to us that it wasn't a surgical case and that we just had to sit and wait.

"He's started pre-season fit and well and he's ready to go."
    http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...09-gtodzs.html

Fantasy Freako
    ‏@FantasyFreako
    Marc Murphy has dropped below 100 #SuperCoach pts per game just once (93) between 2008-15. Way under-priced.
    Murphy has burnt me & many others before, personally don't rate him as a captain from an outsiders POV however he is a good 20 points underpriced. With Cripps stepping up to help out along with Gibbs, he could be a decent/ unique pick.
    SC is FFC's number 1 fantasy game

FFC Agent of Chaos Big Sledge #32's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    577 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Cripps is having a really limited preseason right? Could leave Murphy as M2 again which is not a position I want him in if I have him in my side.

How often over the last 4 seasons has Murphy averaged over 110? Which is essentially the baseline for a M8 in 2017.

Also just how underpriced is he? Beams scoring potential puts him in the top 6 in both comps pretty easily so I much prefer him if he's healthy.
    Baltimore Ravens Superbowl XLVII Champions
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkee View Post
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    890 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Honestly I'm not that keen on either of Beams or Murphy. Degenerative knee conditions are just too hard to pick and both play for teams that are more likely to be in the "shut up shop and get surgery early" than "push through the pain with a finals run" type situations this season.

Danger is a must, imo, he has pushed to the Ablett level the past couple of years. Fyfe is a must at his price and with a full preseason. Ablett is still very much an option. Pendles is Pendles. Bonts had the slow start (did we ever get a reason for that at all?) and looks primed to go to that Danger level.

I think the thing I learned last year (and two years before it) is that injuries are what cripple you real fast. They have both the obvious but also the hidden cost. You lose points if they miss games and you hold, you lose trades which also set you back on upgrades by a week at a time which is points off the board and when they compound on top of other injuries you're just stuffed. 2015 when I had a stinker was largely because I could never upgrade to Goldy or Shaw or anyone else because I was just too far behind on the upgrade schedule to ever make it there because of injuries.

The top 14 midfielders on points scored all played 22 games last year. Priddis and Sloane are the only guys in the top 18 to miss a game.

For me the midfield premium checklist is going to be very easy this year.

1. Do I expect that they will average 108+ (the cutoff for a premium last year).
    2. Do they have a track record of averaging 108+
    3. If the answer to 2 is no, do I think they can average 120+
    4. Do I expect them to play 22 games.
    5. If no to more than 1 of the above questions, are they priced at least 25 points less than I expect them to average?

So for me Murphy fails on 1, 2 (been 4 years), 3 (never) and 4 (5 years). That means the only reason I'm picking him is because he is cheap. I don't think he is a premium if he's failing all 4.

Beams is a lot better because he is a yes, yes, yes but it's a hard no on 4 (never in his career) but he is a yes on 5 at least.

Personally I'm still leaning towards the Danger, Pendles, Bonts and Fyfe quad as my foundation and then it's really hard to go past a guy like Parker/JPK/Hanners/Sloane/Treloar given that Fyfe is risky himself. Obviously rookies will dictate structure but I'm leaning towards 5 mids and take the risks in other areas. Last year's dual midprice option was a good one because of how cheap Libba was (Crouch was a miserable failure). Lot of good midprice backs this year that are going to be hard to resist.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    917 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Epic early season post from the gun SC player that is @Wogitalia

Now that is a sentence I never thought I would post on this forum

7. Likes Big Sledge #32, Wogitalia liked this post
    Super Moderator
    Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    491 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter PosterFFC Blogger
    Fyfe Award - for outstanding contributions - Outstanding contributions accross the FFC and forwardpress blogs. A huge amount of work completed by Hedge so our thanks go out!!!

FWIW Neale still isn't back in to training after post-season surgery; coupled with the return of Fyfe I'd definitely suggest he's more of an upgrade target than a starter.
    Anyone
    Anywhere
    Anytime

9. Likes Wogitalia liked this post
    Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    890 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
    FWIW Neale still isn't back in to training after post-season surgery; coupled with the return of Fyfe I'd definitely suggest he's more of an upgrade target than a starter.
    That's how I'm looking at him as well, too much uncertainty around him to start him. He faded a bit last year.

The major positive for starting him is how good his durability record is though. That said, I think at his price that you can go the safer guys and get the durability as well (The Swans basically all fit this category).

FFC Agent of Chaos Big Sledge #32's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    577 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bunga View Post
    Epic early season post from the gun SC player that is @Wogitalia

Now that is a sentence I never thought I would post on this forum
    It took us many years, but almost all of them came across to the right way of thinking
    Baltimore Ravens Superbowl XLVII Champions
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkee View Post
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos

12. Likes Bunga liked this post
    Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    890 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sledge #32 View Post
    It took us many years, but almost all of them came across to the right way of thinking
    Who woulda thunk it.

Team
    COLLINGWOOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A solid assist by LolFantasy helped move things along
    The eBert era is over

15. Likes Big Sledge #32, Wogitalia liked this post
    Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    917 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The annual debate about starting GAJ commences .......Now! :-

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-01-1...tch-simulation

GARY Ablett is coming off his second shoulder surgery in two years, but the Gold Coast champion is in fine shape two months before the season starts.

The Suns sweltered through a match simulation at Metricon Stadium on Thursday morning, with Ablett one of many to impress.

The Little Master is still wearing the orange cap to signify he can't be tackled, but is expected to resume full contact in the coming weeks.

Ablett was everywhere, starting possession chains at half-back and then rejoining them at half-forward.

He is as fit as ever.

The troublesome left shoulder that required surgery last August – the same one he dislocated in 2014 – seemed an afterthought as he took marks and handballed on both sides.
    http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-01-1...tch-simulation

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Bontempelli had an interrupted pre-season. Spent a lot of time forward until around the North game when he moved more into the middle.

The third-man-up might get a bit of a mention, but given his ability around the contest, an extra disposal or two a match might just counter it. Either way, thinking around a 105-115 DT/SC season might be a possibility.

Team
    MELBOURNE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    465 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking RDT here, I love GAJ like a brother but I'm not sure I can go there. I feel like it's a matter of time before something goes wrong. I'd much rather invest in Bont, I think he's a must own.
    #teamANB

19. Likes KickItToButch liked this post
    Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    476 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter Poster - A great twitter poster on behalf of FFC and TFP

Quote Originally Posted by lifelike_ View Post
    Bontempelli had an interrupted pre-season. Spent a lot of time forward until around the North game when he moved more into the middle.

The third-man-up might get a bit of a mention, but given his ability around the contest, an extra disposal or two a match might just counter it. Either way, thinking around a 105-115 DT/SC season might be a possibility.
    Still can't figure out how he didn't get mid/fwd status. I'd say Bonts is probably priced 5ppg under his average anyway due to his slow start to 2016 which might cancel out the third man up loss, from there its natural improvement. I'd say 105-110 would definitely be realistic.

Would be interested in knowing whether players who played deep into finals generally have slower starts to the season due to delayed preseasons and having to carry injuries through finals.
    hoff.