ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    588 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Midfield Midpricers

Quote Originally Posted by Notorious_29 View Post
    Haven't seen much Bontempelli love in the RDT format and in fact even myself I've ignored him somewhat.

Yes his scores go up another level in SC but after round 6 last season (where it has been noted he moved roles) he still averaged ~ 109ppg in RDT. Would make him 10 points underpriced in this format and well an truly premium level. Accumulates on all the stat lines and nullifies a tag quite well.
    Yet another that has plenty of merit that I haven't really given any time to, so many in that 90-100 range that could make it to the next level (M.Crouch being another).

Was actually unaware how well he went from round 7 onwards last year, hard to really come up with much of a reason not to select him. Only thing would be Dogs seemed quite happy to rotate players through the midfield and perhaps Bont has a rest game or two in the forward line, pretty much clutching at straws with that one.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by dylan123 View Post
    Yet another that has plenty of merit that I haven't really given any time to, so many in that 90-100 range that could make it to the next level (M.Crouch being another).

Was actually unaware how well he went from round 7 onwards last year, hard to really come up with much of a reason not to select him. Only thing would be Dogs seemed quite happy to rotate players through the midfield and perhaps Bont has a rest game or two in the forward line, pretty much clutching at straws with that one.
    For me the biggest reason to not start him is actually the ruck rules changing though that's a much bigger SC issue than DT (only 2ppg in DT).

After that it's just the midfield depth and rotation system they run. Like GWS I think there might just be too many cooks.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Thinking about it another way, there's a chance that the rule could actually help his scoring.

Given how good he is around the contest, an extra tackle, kick or handball or two instead of clearing the area with a hitout could mean an extra 4-5 points per game.

I'm not picking him in DT, however I'm about 50/50 in SC.

5. Likes Notorious_29 liked this post
    Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Ok... so having cut the premium threshold off at 105 for this purpose it leaves an absolute wealth of riches in this category. There are probably a good 25 names here that are absurdly relevant, imo.

Josh Kennedy - The first name on the list for example is super relevant. His durability has wavered a bit in the past couple of years with a few soft tissue issues but he's also the cheapest he's been in 5 years and has averaged at least 110 on three occasions. His traditional slow starts are kind of canceled out by his starting price this year meaning he's probably close to where you'd hope he falls to anyway. I see a couple of concerns... first is his bye, r14 is overloaded with options so you're picking him over other studs. Second is his durability, while strong it has fallen off a bit and he's not getting younger. A lot of the "ironmen" like he was actually tend to break down badly when they do (McVeigh, Goodes, Boyd, Montagna and Deledio for example) While not always the case, it is something that is more of a worry then in the past. The third is that he was just bad last year. I don't know why but even when he was scoring well early he wasn't playing good football and when the team turned around later in the year he just wasn't a huge part of it. I have a fear that the Swans midfield group is actually moving towards the Dogs or GWS problem where there are too many guys in there and everyone suffers as a result.

Prediction - 100-115 - I think around 105 honestly.
    Verdict - Strong starting option, would only be an upgrade option post bye, so longshot.

Bryce Gibbs - This one is really hard to pick with the new club. Has never really played in a good side and reaped the SC benefits that brings with it and he's the style of player who should really excel in a good side. My concern though is that his best football role is not his best fantasy role. His best fantasy has all come as an inside midfielder and I expect the Crows will be using him primarily on the outside where his damage will be maximised. SC punishes outside guys, the only remotely outside guys above 105 last year are Duncan and Zorko and with them, Sloane is a tackling machine even if he's a primarily outside player, Zorko kicked 35 odd goals and is a tackling machine and Duncan is also a strong tackler. It's just hard to be outside and elite in SC.

Prediction - 95-110 - Leaning 100ish.
    Verdict - He's a strong wait and see for me, preseason might have some answers but I think he's an upgrade target, if anything.

Joel Selwood - R14 bye, again, so that's out of the way. Like JPK his durability is actually one of my concerns despite the number of games missed not supporting it really, he plays hurt a lot and it harms his scoring. He generally seems to get concussed once a season, which means he's always cheap at some point in the year, he still cops tags and doesn't deal with them great a lot of the time. The Ablett addition also is a question mark and all the talk is that he's tearing up the preseason and going to play a big midfield role. That's basically the negatives that I see with him. The positives really only need to go to the fact that he's priced at 102 and has averaged 110+ in 7 of the past 8 seasons (105 in the other). He's just savagely underpriced. No idea how his preseason has gone so far but his last few haven't been great so that could be another reason to back him if this one has...

Prediction - 100-120 - Think the 110+ is likely.
    Verdict - Very strong starting option. Strong upgrade target also.

Dayne Beams - After he was released from his heavy Fish Shack tag last year he finished the season on a tear averaging a tidy 115 after returning from an injury that looked season ending. He's a proven bigtime fantasy scorer with 120+ proven potential. His r13 bye is also favourable. Durability is his massive issue. Has never played 22 games, last year's 19 that included a couple he didn't finish was his best since 2012. Preseason I believe has been good so far though which is a promising sign.

Prediction - 95-125 - 110 if he can stay fit, imo.
    Verdict - Risky pick due to durability but massive upside.

Adam Treloar - Trollolololol had a terrible season last year and sees him priced super favourably to lure in more unsuspecting targets. Had averaged 111 in 2016 and looked prime to go even further in 2017 before just forgetting how to kick or handball to teammates and racking up the clangers left right and centre. He's played hurt a lot the past couple of years which is a concern and credit I guess. Groin issues in particular being an ongoing theme. If he can get healthy and fit there really isn't a reason he can't be a 115+ scorer but that durability is also a concern. Bye in r13 is favourable.

Prediction - 100-120 - Think 110+ if fit.
    Verdict - Strong starting pick. Risky upgrade target given his "fatigue" durability concerns.

Seb Ross -
    Emerging midfielder for the Saints. His bye is again an issue being the r14 cluster****. His durability has been ace, basically 50 straight games. He needs to add a couple of things to his game if he's going to move to a higher level. He needs to tackle a lot better, for an inside midfielder he is terrible in this area. He needs to get more marks and he needs to have more scoreboard impact. If he can do any of those he pushes towards the 110 mark, if he can do multiple he's a 110+ guy. He's basically the heir to the Priddis throne except he doesn't tackle. If he starts tackling then I think he's a great pick. Tackling is purely an effort thing so it's one of the things that will show up in the preseason if he's going to add it.

Prediction - 100-120 - I think 110 this year.
    Verdict - Sneaky starting option, bye rules out as an upgrade early.

Trent Cotchin - His lone premium year feels so long ago now and still seems so weird that it's his only one. For a player of his ability it still stands out. Durability has been top notch in recent times. I still think he's capable of being a 110+ guy but it's just becoming a harder buy and sell each year as he fails to do it. Still very susceptible to a tag and still goes missing in too many games. R14 bye is also a downer. No idea how the Tigers respond to winning a flag, if there has ever been a likelier hangover it wasn't since I've been following AFL.

Prediction - 100-120 - 105ish.
    Verdict - Just can't buy this year with all the other options. Post bye upgrade only as well.

Nathan Jones - Not for me. Borderline premium level once in his career and really the only selling point for him to go higher is a stronger side which is, at least in part, because he has been pushed down the midfield ladder. Love him as a player but just not relevant.

Prediction - 90-105 - 98ish for me.
    Verdict - Not relevant, imo.

Brad Ebert - See Jones, Nathan. Basically the exact same thing without the borderline premium season.

Prediction - 90-105 - 98ish
    Verdict - Not relevant, imo.

Callan Ward - One premium season, 3 near premium seasons and 2 non-premium in his last 6 years. Interestingly his premium season followed the other non-premium season with a big bounce back year. I personally think that he's been pushed down the ladder at GWS with so much young talent that is better with the ball having passed him by. Still a great player but not in his sides best 3 midfielders. Too many cooks in that kitchen for mine. Bye is solid.

Prediction - 90-115 - 100ish is my pick.
    Verdict - There is a case for starting him, I wouldn't make it. Maybe as an upgrade with r13 bye.

Dyson Heppell - Just doesn't do anything that is good for SC, uncontested, sideways kicking low impact player, it sounds harsh when written but it is what it is from the fantasy perspective and is the reason he's basically a negative ratio guy. I don't see any of that changing so his good durability and his good bye just don't change that he'd need to be putting up Dane Swan or Titchell type numbers to be a premium and he's never shown that kind of prolific ball finding. Bombers having added a lot more midfield depth over the past couple of years makes it seem less likely to me that he'll be putting up those kind of piggy numbers.

Prediction - 95-110 - 100ish for mine.
    Verdict - Would need to show something special in preseason.

Luke Parker - Durability has been strong with an amazing ability to wait until the finals to get injured though the injuries have started to stack up even if he times them well. Had no preseason last year after knee surgery from his finals injury in 2016 and took half the season to get going. Averaged 107 over the last 12 games (post bye) last year and 109 over the last 5, he started just horrifically with only 2 tons in the first 10 games. Two seasons of premium numbers in the 3 before including a 112. He's a great talent, has matured into the Swans best midfielder and has been honing his forward craft to have more impact when resting, more importantly, so far his preseason has been perfect which as a workhorse type player is a big factor. His bye is bad. The other factor of note is a tendency to produce some really terrible scores which anchors his price. Not as relevant this year where he's starting out so cheap but it does mean that he's likely to not change a huge amount, obviously his bye kind of makes him a start or pass option, imo.

Prediction - 95-120 - 110+ I expect.
    Verdict - Strong starting option. Bye kills upgrade option for me.

Ollie Wines - A guy who has felt like he could become a premium for 3 years now and has actually gone backwards. I'm not sure how to judge him on that regard. I still see everything I want to see as a fantasy stud and yet he just doesn't get it done. Last year with Boak and Gray both hiding from the midfield he still didn't pick up any extra scoring load. Basically 30 points went missing from those two and he got none of it. There comes a point where maybe he's just never going to get his engine to the level it needs to be for him to score another 15 points, like Seb Ross he just doesn't tackle very well for a player of his style and it's an ongoing limit on his scoring. His bye is also a concern in that you're down a premium when no one else is.

Prediction - 95-115 - 105ish is my high end expecation.
    Verdict - Like Heppell, would take something special to get my attention.

Patrick Cripps - The bull of the Blues is back and has finally put together a preseason, touch wood. Has never had one and still has been a beast. His upside in SC is just absurd with his contested nature, tackling, marking, goal kicking and ball usage. If he can get his durability under control, which a strong preseason can only help, he can be anything and he has that beautiful r12 bye to boot. Durability is the issue and until he proves otherwise is the reason to avoid if you want one.

Prediction - 95-130 - I think he pushes 120ish if he stays fit.
    Verdict - Very strong starting pick, imo. Very strong upgrade target also with his bye. Durability is a concern either way.

Dylan Shiel - He's basically the GWS version of Wines with a durability red flag being waved as well. Every year I expect him to hit 110+ and every year he basically produces a carbon copy of the year before while leaving the games played column as a lucky dip fill in the blank. Bye is good but Kelly passed him as their top dog and I don't see that changing because Kelly is like a durable super charged version of Shiel.

Prediction - 95-110 - Think 98ish again until he proves otherwise.
    Verdict - Don't think he has the upside or durability to justify him over others on this list.

Lachlan Whitfield - Basically just read the Heppell comment only add a bit more metres gained and even less contested and a whole lot more competition for touches. He's great at what he does but what he does is basically SC poison.

Prediction - 90-105 - 95ish seems fair.
    Verdict - Not for me, not in this format.

Brendon Goddard - Just not relevant anymore, imo. Unless he goes back into a sweeper role and destroy Hurley's perfect role he's just not relevant.

Dan Hannebery - This one is really hard to judge. Back to back 113 seasons before last years dreadful effort. Durability is very good but also Selwoodesque in that he plays through a lot of injuries though that wasn't apparent last year to explain his drop off. Nothing really explained it and his was even weirder in that he was noticeably better in the first half of the year and there was no obvious explanation other than he just plain stopped finding the ball as the team was getting far more of it. The only logical explanation I could find was a team directive to stop giving it to him unless he was in acres of space because basically everyone else under pressure is still going to be a better kick than him under none. I just can't find anything else to explain why he suddenly went from 30+ to struggling to get 20 in half the games. This makes judging last year really hard, maybe he was injured and we never heard about it and that's why he didn't find the ball. The team playing better as he got less of it has to be a concern though, he's always been a give with one hand take with the other player because of his woeful kicking but with the emergence of Papley, Heeney, Hewett and Jones as midfield options I think maybe he got pushed down a bit. The first 3 all use the ball far better than Hanners and Jones adds dynamic bursting run and equally questionable kicking.

In short, I just don't know here, is the 93 he averaged from post bye reflective of the future or will he bounce back? I tend to lean towards it being a coaching change that cost him and given the results that it's likely to remain.

Prediction - 90-120 - I think 95-100ish.
    Verdict - Could be a great starting pick if he bounces back, could be terrible if he continues.

Tom Rockliff - This one comes down to two things. Durability and his role. As a ball winning midfielder he is just flat out elite, in a good team he could be even better. Can he stay on the park? He's had injuries to seemingly every body part at this point. His bye is a moungrel as well. The durability is something I'm willing to risk, especially given Brisbane as a whole have been terrible here and Port are among the elite which really just leaves the role as the question and it's a massive question because the difference in Rockliff midfielder and Rockliff forward is immense. I have no idea how Port plan to use him and their midfield depth makes it even harder. All of Gray, Boak, Wingard and Ebert have extensive experience playing as forwards and mids, Rockliff is similar. Throw in Wines and SPP and it's a deep group. Rockliff's best fantasy season came when Redden, Hanley and Martin were all firing as well, he's been better the better the team a lot of the time. What will his role be though?

Prediction - 90-140 - I have no idea until I see his role but I expect he'll be the fittest he's ever been.
    Verdict - Could be a season defining starting selection/non-selection. Elite upgrade target with early bye and time to define role.

Brad Crouch -
    Weirdly bad SC scorer to date in his career given he's sort of what you look for as a player but just seems to have bad mistakes that cost him a lot. Durability is terrible but that can change with a preseason, his early form is eerily similar to Cotchin with the way he looks great then gets a different injury, maybe he can get his body right just the same. Averaged 104 over his last 10 games (not incl Finals where he averaged 110) and his talent is obvious. I wonder how Gibbs impacts him and if he can get a preseason in. r14 bye is an issue again.

Prediction - 90-115 - 105ish I think if fit.
    Verdict - Durability and questions on scoring potential rule him out for me.

Luke Shuey -
    This is a very interesting one, imo. Perfect SC game that has lacked quantity to back it up in the past. Will now be the #1 midfielder (unless Yeo passes him) and with the exodus of two other inside midfielders he'll have even more responsibility. Get's NicNat back, of whom he is the favourite target and easily the biggest benefactor. Has a great bye. Basically I see Shuey and I see the perfect storm. 12 tackles a game, 50 odd touches, 10 clearances, 4 centre clearances and a shit ton of forward 50 entries all just retired last season and he's the obvious guy to pick up the biggest part of that slack. He's another example of young guys that got their body right as well and has been super durable.

Prediction - 95-125 - 115ish is my prediction
    Verdict - I think he's an elite starting pick for anyone looking for a joker in the deck. R12 bye makes him an elite upgrade target also with more information at hand (aka does he fulfill the hype).

Steele Sidebottom - Another guy who has been a premium in the past but hasn't got there in a couple of years. Seems to have kind of fallen to the wayside with guys like Treloar and Adams taking a lot of the outside pill away from him, which given their ball use compared to his makes no sense to me but not a lot of what the Pies have done under Buckley has made any sense to me so that's the logical explanation and that explanation remains in place.

Prediction - 90-115 - Thinking 95-100ish.
    Verdict - Not worth the risk with other options, imo.

Andrew Gaff
    - Whitfield/Heppell part three. I see no reason to think he's going to start tackling, getting any contested ball or kicking goals at any kind of level that will have an impact and I can't see him getting 35-40 touches a week to offset it.

Prediction - 90-105 - 98ish.
    Verdict - No interest here.

Aaron Hall - Not sure how to read this... Ablett going means more opportunity but he's scored better when Ablett played than without him. He's a butcher who makes awful decisions and if the Suns want to improve he's a guy who should be headed to a smaller, not larger, role. For those reasons I don't like the pick. Not saying he doesn't have fantasy potential, just that I don't like the narrative. His bye is the final nail for me.

Prediction - 90-115 - 100ish for mine.
    Verdict - I've got no interest.

From here on I'm just going to cherry pick the guys I like as we're getting into a lot of guys I don't think are relevant, sorry Cunnington, Zaharakis and Steele, but you're kicking off the class.

Jack Steven - From looking like a potential Dane Swan clone to nothingness over two years. No idea what really happened here other than he just fell apart as a fantasy scorer. Was never a great SC guy but he was showing potential to push into the Swan/Mitchell it doesn't matter level of DT scoring for a bit there. Seems that he's fallen to the side so that guys likes Ross and Billings can get more of it. Still has the potential though and I'll be watching his preseason to see if he flashes anything (probably more for my DT where he's just as cheap). R14 bye once again is a mare.

Prediction - 90-125 - Leaning 98ish right now.
    Verdict - Watching Closely, there is value here.

Jack Viney -
    Looked prime for a breakout last year then a wild Clayton Oliver appeared and ate up every spare point at Melbourne. Has 90% of the SC scoring system worked out but his disposal brings it all crashing down, plenty of butchers have overcome that though and Viney isn't a necessarily bad kick, he just chews off a lot more than he should. Just needs to go to the Priddis school of picking a better target and handballing more. Gawn back will help him. Staying fit will help him, speaking of which durability is a negative on him at this point. r13 bye is a bonus.

Prediction - 90-115 - Think he will push the 100-105 mark this year.
    Verdict - At least worth watching again but I'm looking at an upgrade target if anything.

Jack Ziebell - I just want to mention him because I mention him every year and he never does anything and I don't want to have not mentioned him if he actually does something. I don't expect him to.

Prediction - 85-95 - Because always, somehow.
    Verdict - Do not pick, or do, he'll find a way to disappoint and underachieve.

David Swallow - Someone has to do the lifting at GC and he seems to finally be healthy. Has put up very good numbers before. If he can get his body right then his style of play is SC porn. That first part has been a huge hurdle for him. Still, he's got the talent and is very cheap. Bye ruins him for me as a starter though.

Prediction - 80-115 - 100+ if he can have a preseason and stay healthy
    Verdict - Potential upgrade target given his bye, too much risk without proven upside to beat out the rest of this list as a starter.

Dominic Sheed - Basically the guy I expect should eat the rest of the Mitchell/Priddis leftovers. Very similar player to Priddis and groomed to replace him, imo. I'm not sure if he can make the full jump or not, the potential is there. Favourable bye at least draws a bit of attention.

Prediction - 85-110 - 98ish is my call.
    Verdict - Don't think he can jump quite high enough to be worth picking but watch as an upgrade given bye.

Dion Prestia - Believe he had a poor preseason last year and he never really got going with the new side but his role was good and his history is strong. Once again, shitty bye and durability is not great.

Prediction - 80-115 - 100ish
    Verdict - He's a sneaky option if he has a perfect preseason given his price.

Stephen Coniglio -
    Elite start to 2016 and then faded, last year never really got out of first gear for him and durability is stacking up as an issue. He's really cheap though and he's a stud prospect who flashed his potential in 2016. Averaged 110+ in the first half of that season before fading a bit to round out in the mid 100s. His bye is favourable. My biggest concern is similar to Ward and Shiel, Kelly is now top dog and basically he needs to put up premium numbers as the 2nd banana. Strong teams have often had 3 or 4 bananas at premium levels so that's not a huge concern but the Giants have about 7 bananas trying to split it all and a tendency to role with the hot hands at any time that can leave a guy out in the cold. That's my biggest concern.

Prediction - 90-120 - 105+ if fit, I think as 2nd dog.
    Verdict - Very interesting starting option. Bye leaves early upgrade as a viable jump if he does start hot and look the part.

Jack Redden - The other guy who could/should pick up some of the slack. I don't think he has the ceiling to justify picking but I think he's at least worth being on the watch list.

Tom Liberatore - Interesting one here, is very cheap for his past but his past is now distant. Fell out of favour and the midfield rotation last year but he also clearly over celebrated the flag quite famously so it's not hard to argue he had a poor preseason last year. Dogs have too much depth for me and he's another victim of that.

Lachie Weller - Seriously rate this kid and he's got every chance of being their #1 midfielder from day dot. Has scored surprisingly well playing completely out of position at Freo. Elite contested nature and elite kicking are a deadly combo in SC and he's got both. Really comes down to just how much he grasps his opportunity and how much they let him just run with it or if they try and manage him. There's really no reason he can't put up a similar kind of leap as Kelly or Oliver put up last year based on ability and opportunity.

Prediction - 90-120 - 105-110 if he gets the prime midfield role.
    Verdict - Bye is moungrel but he's a starting pick bargain at his price if he can score like I think he can. Would pay a premium after his bye and be trading into an unproven quantity but it's certainly an option, I imagine most will be looking for someone from that bye.

Matthew Kennedy - Same basic story, scored pretty well playing well out of position at GWS, has a chance to basically replace Gibbs in that midfield. I don't think he's as good as Weller but he was drafted highly for a reason and he has opportunity and a good natural SC game. Great bye as well. Kennedy is ball park to being cheap enough to not have to hit premium numbers, Sheed for comparison made a 200k leap from his 55-85 move

Prediction - 85-110 - Leaning 90-95 range
    Verdict - Watchlist for now, Just think the leap might be a bit big as the M3, Cripps and Murphy both injury prone though so worth watching if he can move up from that.

Jaegar O'Meara -
    We all know this story. Last sentence above on Kennedy applies here as well only he's proven the ability to score at the requisite level before. Durability is everything here. For me to even think about it he needs a flawless preseason, like if he gets a cut on his ear, he's done. Still has to be watched with his upside and potential.

David Armitage
    - Stupid cheap at 310k for a guy who averaged 109 just two years ago. Would need a perfect preseason and to show that he's back to something resembling that but priced at 55 he really only needs 85 to be a decent cash cow, 95 to be a very decent one and 105+ would be keeper material at his starting price. Will be watching very closely, obviously a lot has changed at the Saints in the past couple of years, Steven, his running mate, has fallen off noticeably as well in that period without injury as they've gone to the next generation a bit.

Michael Rischitelli - 250k for a guy who averaged 91 two years ago is also very cheap. He's borderline rookie priced which means almost everything else can go out the window, even his shitty bye would just be a rookie missing a bye who could then provide strong scoring through the byes or a chance to upgrade him at or after the bye for structural reasons. Question here is what will his role be this year and can he get back to his best scoring. He's priced at 45 so really even a 75+ would do it given he's capable of 100+ scores to price spike at least.

There are probably a few other names worth mentioning that I skipped because I'm not considering them at all but this is a pretty comprehensive list for mine and a good starting point for discussion. I actually really like a few of the guys at the bottom of the list but I'm finding it really hard to not pick the Danger/Martin/Fyfe trio and then there is so much value on almost everyone below that point that I want to pick, not picking a Pendles so I could pick say Armitage and Weller is always an option but it just seems like a riskier way to play the game.

7. Likes Crows88, Bunga, Athomas liked this post
    Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    921 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Dayne Beams - After he was released from his heavy Fish Shack tag

Gold.
    SC is FFC's number 1 fantasy game

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Bunga View Post

Gold.
    Could have used it on Fyfe as well in the premiums thread

FFC Agent of Chaos Big Sledge #32's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    577 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Are we as a collective overlooking David Armitage?

He has produced near keeper numbers in the past, put out some good JLT form and appears to be healthy after a non-starter 2017. The St Kilda midfield isn't exactly packed with stars either.

He's currently in my RDT, but I can't find the room in SC.
    Baltimore Ravens Superbowl XLVII Champions
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkee View Post
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos

11. Likes Notorious_29 liked this post
    Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sledge #32 View Post
    Are we as a collective overlooking David Armitage?

He has produced near keeper numbers in the past, put out some good JLT form and appears to be healthy after a non-starter 2017. The St Kilda midfield isn't exactly packed with stars either.

He's currently in my RDT, but I can't find the room in SC.
    He just didn't pass the eye test in JLT for me, looked legitimately fat.

His problem is that there is Ross and Steven clearly ahead of him and Dunstan, Billings, Newnes and a few others jockeying for minutes as well.

He's also in no mans land on his price. Really needs to get to 95+ to break even with a standard rookie which he has only done once in his season where he showed up in the best shape of his life. The 92 and 93 could do it if he punches some big scores (capable of it) to push the price.

My biggest problem though is that the way the price changes work guys in that range really struggle to make cash, they have to score big scores consistently to move beyond the system. The rookies get pulled up towards the average and the premiums get pulled down and the midprice guys end up fighting for scraps.

Posted it somewhere else but a guy like Swallow had to score 101, 132 and 90 in a 3 week stretch to make his peak 170k on the season and he started out 30k cheaper while a guy like Fisher made 120k with a patch of 35, 55, 47, 41 and 64. Otten wasn't as good as Swallow's patch and made 250k. Hampton made 140k on the back of a 101, 41 and 47 three week period.

Not saying he's a bad pick but I doubt you make as much cash with him and with all the genuinely underpriced legitimate premiums this year I'd doubt you can match the points as well, you also generally need to nail a 2nd midpricer as well for the points equation to even be favourable.

13. Likes Big Sledge #32 liked this post
    FFC Football Operations Manager Hodges's Avatar
    Team
    HAWTHORN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree with all of that. I didnt see JLT1 but Armo did not look great in JLT2. Think he will still be a decent piece in that midfield group but not someone I would back to go 90+ again.

And sadly also have to agree with that price change point. It was something I hadnt really considered in my mid price madness team, but they do get screwed by the system unless they go nuts. I still think they have value, but you have to be absolutely sure on them and Armo doesnt tick that box for me.

Wogi killed my midprice buzz.
    Only ever talking SC

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Hodges View Post
    Agree with all of that. I didnt see JLT1 but Armo did not look great in JLT2. Think he will still be a decent piece in that midfield group but not someone I would back to go 90+ again.

And sadly also have to agree with that price change point. It was something I hadnt really considered in my mid price madness team, but they do get screwed by the system unless they go nuts. I still think they have value, but you have to be absolutely sure on them and Armo doesnt tick that box for me.

Wogi killed my midprice buzz.
    Sorry bro!

In fairness it works fine in the forwards and backs because the keeper threshold is low enough that you only need 15-20 point pickups to justify the pick because of trades saved.

Midfield I think you need one of a couple of things. Either 50+ points improvement on price or the ability score massive scores in patches. Both JOM and Armitage actually tick both those boxes though the first is unlikely and the 2nd is a bit more random to bank on and given their past couple of seasons each I'd say stringing together 5 games is probably step one for both of them before they worry about unleashing the dragon.

I prefer a pick like Coniglio where the keeper possibility is genuine.

The problem this year is you've got so many guys in the 10-20 points underpriced that are safer, more proven and are more likely to bounce back to premium levels. Guys like Pendles, Selwood, Parker, Rockliff and Fyfe all tick these boxes.

FFC Football Operations Manager Hodges's Avatar
    Team
    HAWTHORN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hah its all good, discussion like this good to really work out what the good options are.

The only thing that I think works in favour of JOM and Armo this year specifically is the Danger issue. If you dont take Danger, you need a plan to trade him in IMO. Trying to go from a rookie to him costs you so much money and likely 3 trades, taking a mid pricer like JOM could give you a much easier path to him. But yeah outside that, midfield midpricers are a tough sell.
    Only ever talking SC

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    334 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Been back and forward a bit on guys like Cogs/Libba over the past week in SC. I think both end up being 100-105 guys and in the end that's probably not quite enough to justify taking either. If they could get to 110+ though, then they would be incredible value.

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    Been back and forward a bit on guys like Cogs/Libba over the past week in SC. I think both end up being 100-105 guys and in the end that's probably not quite enough to justify taking either. If they could get to 110+ though, then they would be incredible value.
    Personally, I reckon Cogs can get to that. Risk is injury and run-with role but he has the chops
    Proud coach of Big Jenny Talia FFC
    SC 2013 - 11th
    SC 2014
    - 16th
    SC 2015 and beyond - foetal position

"Yonnies in the wind, we're ruggin' up for winter"

19. Likes Narkee liked this post
    Team
    CARLTON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)