ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    588 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Midfield Midpricers

Quote Originally Posted by Notorious_29 View Post
    Well yeah guys like Fyfe/Heppell/Watson/Beams I consider low end premos really.
    Yeah makes sense then, hard to pass up on those guys assuming then get through alright in the pre season games.

Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dylan123 View Post
    Yeah makes sense then, hard to pass up on those guys assuming then get through alright in the pre season games.
    Yeah agreed.

Theres a whole bunch of guys in the $500-$600k range worth considering. (RDT)

Not easy to narrow that down to 3 or 4 guys. Also considering you almost have to take Danger, and I'm very keen on one of Hanners or JPK.

3. Likes Bunga liked this post
    Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    921 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Yeah agreed.

Not easy to narrow that down to 3 or 4 guys. Also considering you almost have to take Danger, and I'm very keen on one of Hanners or JPK.
    I am considering taking both ( should clarify in SC) with Mitchell now at Hawthorn, both durable & proven performers.
    SC is FFC's number 1 fantasy game

5. Likes Notorious_29 liked this post
    Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Bunga View Post
    I am considering taking both ( should clarify in SC) with Mitchell now at Hawthorn, both durable & proven performers.
    Parker also will have a very limited preseason this year so those two should be doing a lot of the heavy lifting early on. McVeigh also becomes more tempting down back given the Mitchell/Parker factors.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

7. Likes Bunga liked this post
    FFC Agent of Chaos Big Sledge #32's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    577 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wogitalia View Post
    Also a couple of names I think worth mentioning...

Brad Crouch - Dylan mentioned his brother, who I agree with entirely and wont double up on, but Brad is still the better prospect. I personally sport his burn wounds from last year but even in a complete stinker of a season he managed to average 87 across both formats. Average 92/96 after return to side after his stint in the magoos, such was his stinking form before it. No reason he can't build on that and become what most expect of him. Durability remains a major issue though and is probably enough to sink his battleship given other options.
    Brad won't play the entire NAB series and is in doubt for round 1 apparently. Given how he started last year with a similar fitness base I wouldn't touch him.

I think injury is saving you from yourself here. The numbers and the eye test paint Brad as an absolute minnow basher at this point of his career.

- He played 16 games in 2016 including finals.
    - He averaged 98.75 vs non finalists including 4 tons and only one score under 83 (54 vs Port) across 8 games.
    - He only averaged an awful 70.5 vs top 8 opponents across 8 games. Including 4 scores under 81 and a high score of 89 vs Geelong.
    - The sample size of the top 8 data is flawed as it includes 3 games vs North and 2 games vs Geelong (his high/low of 89/46).

Now that's not to say a minnow basher can't be a fantasy viable candidate. But you need to have some level of respectability against quality opponents and Brad did not showcase that in 2016. I feel like 2017 has a strong chance of being a similar experience which is frustrating as Adelaide really need him to improve in order to be competitive in those higher level matches.
    Baltimore Ravens Superbowl XLVII Champions
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkee View Post
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos

9. Likes dylan123 liked this post
    FFC Agent of Chaos Big Sledge #32's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    577 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yeah agreed.

I think I'll hedge my bets and take JPK in SC and Hanners in RDT.
    Baltimore Ravens Superbowl XLVII Champions
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkee View Post
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sledge #32 View Post
    Brad won't play the entire NAB series and is in doubt for round 1 apparently. Given how he started last year with a similar fitness base I wouldn't touch him.

I think injury is saving you from yourself here. The numbers and the eye test paint Brad as an absolute minnow basher at this point of his career.

- He played 16 games in 2016 including finals.
    - He averaged 98.75 vs non finalists including 4 tons and only one score under 83 (54 vs Port) across 8 games.
    - He only averaged an awful 70.5 vs top 8 opponents across 8 games. Including 4 scores under 81 and a high score of 89 vs Geelong.
    - The sample size of the top 8 data is flawed as it includes 3 games vs North and 2 games vs Geelong (his high/low of 89/46).

Now that's not to say a minnow basher can't be a fantasy viable candidate. But you need to have some level of respectability against quality opponents and Brad did not showcase that in 2016. I feel like 2017 has a strong chance of being a similar experience which is frustrating as Adelaide really need him to improve in order to be competitive in those higher level matches.
    Tried to post a response to Dylan's comments on Brad but my internet wasn't playing along.

Injury has ruled him out unequivocally this year for me.

How much of that minnow bashing factor last year has to do with Adelaide's draw, 4 of those tough games were when he was clearly not fit or confident, two more are finals where he and the Crows in general had a hard time. Basically you've got the solid but not good 86/89 that coincides with him being fit and playing a good team in regular season conditions.

I think he can be a fantasy star, similar to a Hanners or Priddis who don't really have natural fantasy games due to handballing but overcome it to be studs anyway. I really rate Crouch and it's a shame his body just keeps on failing miserably because I think he can be anything fantasy and football wise.

You're right though, injury has easily saved me from myself this year! There are too many other mainstream options for me to really want to stray much at all, basically any midpricer is a defensive move this year outside of Swallow who is a guy I'm very keen on if fit that doesn't seem to be getting a lot of talk.

12. Likes Big Sledge #32 liked this post
    FFC Premium
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He does look bloody good!

http://bpmultihlsvod5257.ngcdn.telst...0kbps_406p.mp4

#Jaeger!

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

David Swallow is front and centre of my mid price radar, will be watching him and Jaeger very closely.

though JAG worries me, as I think I sniffle and the hawks shut him down, and take no chances.
    TEX WALKER. that is all.

FFC Premium
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The other really interesting one is Jack Redden who could be majorly under-priced.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    588 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thoughts on Watson?

Had him in my team from the get go but always good to question selections and probably one that doesn't really reach the premium average required in RDT. Seems to have done fairly well in all the pre season games when matching him up against the rest of the Essendon team.

Game 1 - 69 DT from 62% TOG, 5th highest scorer for Essendon.
    Game 2 - 87 DT from 69% TOG, 2nd highest scorer for Essendon.
    Game 3 - 90 DT from 95% TOG, 4th highest scorer for Essendon.

Judging from the stats, he seems to be finding a fair bit of it so I'm guessing he hasn't spent much time in the forward line which was a potential concern. Big fan which makes me want to select him, thought I'd hear what you guys were thinking though.

17. Likes Notorious_29 liked this post
    Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has been in and out of my team, certainly represents good value. I guess he's one of those picks where he probably isn't top end premium material (DT) over the course of 22 games, as in history will show more often than not he can score to that level but not consistently over a whole season. Class player and has looked in good touch over the JLT, wouldn't surprise me at all if he comes flying out of the gates from round 1 though. I'm really torn on him.

I mean guys like Beams, Watson and O'Meara are probably all in the same category of representing serious value but come with some risk of the unknown. Can their bodies hold up over 22 games? Do you need them to hold up for 22 games to be a good selection? Can you afford to take them all?

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    588 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yeah currently have all 3 as the value just seems too good to pass up given Beams and Watson can/have averaged premium numbers and O'Meara could do anything really. Finding rookies that I'm really confident in appears to be pretty tough though which is where giving up on a Watson could then be used to splash the cash around some but I suppose it's just putting the risks elsewhere.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Watson is a really hard guy to pick for me. As much as I want to use the scandal as an explanation he still hasn't played a full season since the infamous 2012 season and he still hasn't put up premium numbers since that season. That's 5 years ago now and I just have to think that with the likes of Merrett, Parish, Heppell, Zaka et al all putting their hands up for midfield time and his proven effectiveness as a forward that his role is probably going to be more limited to try and nurse a full season.

I also have fears of how the whole group returning after a year out are going to hold up physically, they might be fine but they might not.

The final flaw is that he has to become a premium, there's no in between ground on Watson in either format, though in SC he's closer to having the possible out of just making cash but in DT in particular it's pretty much premium or bust.

Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haven't seen much Bontempelli love in the RDT format and in fact even myself I've ignored him somewhat.

Yes his scores go up another level in SC but after round 6 last season (where it has been noted he moved roles) he still averaged ~ 109ppg in RDT. Would make him 10 points underpriced in this format and well an truly premium level. Accumulates on all the stat lines and nullifies a tag quite well.