Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    585 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Midfield Midpricers

All discussion to do with Midfield Midpricers.

Note: If you are talking about a player for only one competition please state if it is for DT or SC.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    585 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Midfield Midpricers

Maybe not quite a midpricer but I'm putting it here as he's not priced in the premium range in my eyes.

Matt Crouch is someone that should probably be considered, in his final 8 games for the season (including x2 finals matches) he averaged 109.9 DT.
    - He's entering his 4th season at AFL level and he really should be starting to build at tank to play at the level like the rest of those around him which was a weakness coming into the draft. Looking at his TOG numbers from last year, he only had 4 games where he played over 77% TOG with a high of 79% which seems pretty low without comparing him to the rest of our regular midfielders. It should be an area that continues to improve the longer he remains in the system.
    - With Thompson getting another year older, he'll surely be phased out on the midfield and we'll become more reliant on players like Crouch filling in the hole left by Thompson.
    - With his inability to play elsewhere on the ground, he's someone that will play the majority of his minutes in the midfield so there isn't much of a worry about any positional troubles.
    - Without the big hurt factor, he isn't someone I really see gaining much attention from the opposition.

Still a hard one to pick given the amount of value in those at a similar price or even cheaper but should still be in consideration.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    585 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Fun position to pick, much like the forwards.

Plenty of top end premiums you could go for and be pretty confident they'll remain right up there in terms of scoring. You then look at the guys priced outside of that 100 average and there are a bucket load of options.

Fyfe - Priced at a 98 average (no discount for whatever reason?), previous season averages not as high as I thought but still up to that 105 mark whilst including games with injuries. He's someone that should score well when on the field. In a weaker team than he had been in the past but he isn't really someone that relies on his team mates feeding him the ball.

Heppell - Priced at a 90 average after averaging 101.9 and 106.9 in his previous two seasons. No reason why he can't improve on that either.

Beams - Priced at an 85 average, no idea how his pre season is going but we've seen him average as high as 116.4 in the past. No idea how his pre season has been going and Brisbane also have a new coach in charge which might change up how they play? Not that it will really hurt him since we've seen him score like a champ at two different teams. I suppose the other risk is, if his knee/s aren't able to fully heal, he could be used up forward more given he's shown the ability to hi the scoreboard in the past.

Watson - Priced at an 80 average, plenty of love for Jobe and would love to select him again. Has had a couple of 100+ seasons before yet is getting on in age so it's hard to read. I think with everything now behind him, he'll be able to play more freely. Even with him aging, he's never relied on his speed so at least that part won't be a concern. Seem to recall a month or two ago there been talk about him spending more time up forward, if that was the case, then I probably wouldn't be so keen.

Murphy - I suppose he should be mentioned given he's priced at a 79 average. Still doubt I could do it myself though..

O'Meara - Priced at a 55 average, hard to really not pick him if he's named come round 1 I would have thought.

D.Swallow - Priced at an average of around 50. Averaged as high as 93.8 in 2014, solid enough player if he can stay on the park, should be able to improve his average by 40 odd with any luck whilst also posting decent enough numbers that you can afford to hold onto him for a little.

Mainly the guys I'm keen on at this stage which is a number given I still want to fit some premiums and rookies around those guys.

FFC Football Operations Manager KickItToButch's Avatar
    Team
    PORT ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really don't think that Fyfe should be in this group especially considering Bonts is price very similar but is regarded as Premo.

We almost need another thread to discuss discounted players in all positions IMO.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    585 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yeah not really a midpricer but sort of feels short of being a premium based on his current average, very inbetween both groups but still closer to that premium mark I suppose.

FFC Assistant Coach TIGERLICIOUS's Avatar
    Team
    RICHMOND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whilst not a midpricer, another guy who could be justified to be placed on that list above is Stanton. Proven track record over many years and a notorious fast starter and no doubt a unique P.O.D.

FFC Football Operations Manager KickItToButch's Avatar
    Team
    PORT ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TIGERLICIOUS View Post
    Whilst not a midpricer, another guy who could be justified to be placed on that list above is Stanton. Proven track record over many years and a notorious fast starter and no doubt a unique P.O.D.
    One to pick for lolfantasy I think.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    890 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by KickItToButch View Post
    I really don't think that Fyfe should be in this group especially considering Bonts is price very similar but is regarded as Premo.

We almost need another thread to discuss discounted players in all positions IMO.
    Bonts is only a premium in SC at this point and it's the game format he's getting the main attention in.

That's the hard part with the DT/SC discussion being lumped together. A guy like Fyfe isn't really underpriced very much in DT at all where is he is only 5 or 6 points off his best season but in SC he's a good 20 points underpriced. Still premium priced in that format though.

I get the feeling there will be a lot of value chasing this year and I dare say that it will result in a lot of broken dreams unless this is the year where history goes out the window.

I'm going to roll with a system this year to try and weed out guys who "feel" like good picks as much as possible, basically if they can't pass the 20 games test then they need to be guys that I would take a bet for them to average 110/120 (legit keeper range with a bit of undershoot range) in the two formats or they're at least 30 points under priced on a previous season and there is no good reason to think they can't get back there.

Basically guys like Swallow, Heppell or Beams will tick those boxes and a guy like Murphy (especially in DT) will not.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    890 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Also a couple of names I think worth mentioning...

Ollie Wines - Burned a lot of guys here last year who went hard on him from the start but I think the reasoning behind picking him was rock solid and remains unchanged this year. Seemed to struggle all year with his body to me and didn't have the impact expected, the team also struggled massively BUT he still averaged 110/106 from his bye to the close of the season (a terrible ratio for him) and I don't see any real reason he can't maintain that kind of DT scoring and restore his ratio for SC purposes. Having Ryder (a ruckman in general even) certainly can't hurt him either, imo, as he's a bull who can hit directed taps at speed and get breaking clearances (SC especially relevant).

Brad Crouch - Dylan mentioned his brother, who I agree with entirely and wont double up on, but Brad is still the better prospect. I personally sport his burn wounds from last year but even in a complete stinker of a season he managed to average 87 across both formats. Average 92/96 after return to side after his stint in the magoos, such was his stinking form before it. No reason he can't build on that and become what most expect of him. Durability remains a major issue though and is probably enough to sink his battleship given other options.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    585 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wogitalia View Post

Brad Crouch - Dylan mentioned his brother, who I agree with entirely and wont double up on, but Brad is still the better prospect. I personally sport his burn wounds from last year but even in a complete stinker of a season he managed to average 87 across both formats. Average 92/96 after return to side after his stint in the magoos, such was his stinking form before it. No reason he can't build on that and become what most expect of him. Durability remains a major issue though and is probably enough to sink his battleship given other options.
    What comp do you see Brad being a good pick at? Or both?

I hope he'll eventually carry on from where he started in his first season yet at his current price, I think he's a pretty big gamble. He's someone that handballs more than kicks, doesn't get many marks or hit the scoreboard. All those combined makes it pretty tough for him to score well on the DT side of things unless he's really racking it up. Would in turn thing the way he plays would translate to him being a decent SCer but his SC scores seem to match his DT scores which doesn't really help.

I think he had a little hamstring issue coming back from the Christmas break which has seen him in the restricted group for a couple of weeks.

Like I could see him improving yet whether he gets the improvement needed is a bit of an unknown and like you said, with his durability concerns and the options around his price or lower, makes for a ballsy pick.

FFC Senior Assistant Coach hendo8888's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crouch is already injured. So his name is already ruled out for me. Which is handy, because he tempts me every year.
    This post was more than likely SC based.
    If in doubt, assume it was.

12. Likes Crow-mo liked this post
    FFC Senior Assistant Coach Robbo's Avatar
    Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I rode Wines all last year in DT. Probably finished about a breakeven as M8 i suppose. Not sure i'm keen for another ride this year but i do like the kid.
    First Passenger on-board the Stefan Martin Train!

Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel like there are enough low end premiums here to not take any real midpricers. If one does start slow and and genuine mid pricer bolts, easy correctional trade.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    585 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Notorious_29 View Post
    I feel like there are enough low end premiums here to not take any real midpricers. If one does start slow and and genuine mid pricer bolts, easy correctional trade.
    Do you feel the ones I've mentioned above are low end premiums or midpricers and there are other low end premiums you're keen on?

Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well yeah guys like Fyfe/Heppell/Watson/Beams I consider low end premos really.