ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    322 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Midfield Rookies

Quote Originally Posted by Wheedus View Post
    Just thought it worthwhile discussing which of the mid rookies to start this week. Most of us tend to put the highest priced on the field just because that's the way you pick your side. This year, Brayshaw is probably at M7 for most but I reckon there is a good chance T.Kelly and Holman could outscore him. I also reckon Banfield will probably score more. I wouldn't be surprised to see Brayshaw put up similar numbers to Paddy Dow on Friday night.
    I really must listen to myself more often. At least I got Kelly on the ground.
    Proud coach of Big Jenny Talia FFC
    SC 2013 - 11th
    SC 2014
    - 16th
    SC 2015 and beyond - foetal position

"Yonnies in the wind, we're ruggin' up for winter"

2. Likes Athomas, Bunga liked this post
    Team
    CARLTON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wheedus View Post
    I really must listen to myself more often. At least I got Kelly on the ground.
    Haha nice. Apparently Holman scored 70 of his 96 points from tackles alone, so I think he was helped by the conditions a lot (unless you had already factored the weather in )

I wouldn't be playing Holman this round myself, think Brayshaw will bounce back to 75+.
    AFL Twitter --------------------------- This post is SC related--------------------------Movie Twitter

Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    921 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Hearing Adam Cerra will debut for Freo this weekend.
    SC is FFC's number 1 fantasy game

Team
    HAWTHORN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bunga View Post
    Hearing Adam Cerra will debut for Freo this weekend.
    Yep Ross said he would debut this week and possible someone else.
    Also said you'll see our number 2 and 5 pick play together, so brayshaw is fine.
    Would be very surprised if banfield goes out he was one of the few freo players that applied some pressure.

Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would hope the guys getting dropped are the usual suspects in Sutcliffe, D.Pearce and Kersten.

Stephen Hill is also a chance to come back in and surely Hamling does too.

In - Hamling, Cerra, Hill
    Out - DPearce, Kersten, Sutcliffe

The other possible debutant could be Mitch Crowden who looked decent in the pre-season. I'd be suprised if Banfield made way but I'm pretty conditioned to being suprised these days.

7. Likes Hodges, Athomas liked this post
    Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Freo has to drop one of their KPF. After that there are a lot of passengers that should be going out before Banfield or Brayshaw who actually did some positive things at least and have potential. Guys like Sutcliffe and Pearce have proven at this point that they're guys that aren't bad as the 23-30 spots on the list but you'd rather they weren't playing.

UDL is still a solid pick, imo. His role is solid, his JS is going to be solid because the team is so bad they may as well be developing him as fast as they can, might take him a while to get going but he should make cash by mid season.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    334 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Braydan Ainsworth to debut this week for WCE. $117k SC mid. WAFL Form below.

ROUND GRADE OPPOSITION K H D M T HO FF FA G B
    Round 6, 2018 League East Fremantle 14 9 23 3 5 0 3 0 1 0
    Round 5, 2018 League Peel Thunder 19 7 26 4 1 0 1 1 0 2
    Round 4, 2018 League Perth 18 5 23 5 3 0 3 1 1 0
    Round 1, 2018 League Subiaco 17 7 24 7 1 0 1 1 0 3

10. Likes dylan123, Bunga liked this post
    Team
    HAWTHORN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice, need a downgrade target next week.

FFC Senior Assistant Coach Robbo's Avatar
    Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would think Shuey probably pushes him back out in 2-3 weeks unless he impresses so much a Hutchings type gets the axe instead.
    First Passenger on-board the Stefan Martin Train!

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    334 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It's also possible he'll be playing the Petruccelle role as he is out with an ankle injury.

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    334 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Jacob Dawson to debut this week for GC. $102k SC Mid Only.

Last week he only had 14d, 4m and 2t playing more down back. Week before that it was 28d, 3m and 15t playing more midfield. He's had 25+ disposals a number of times this season in the NEAFL.

FFC Senior Assistant Coach hendo8888's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Handy game for Bewley last night. Only scored 51/57, so he doesn't stand out, but also only had 39% game time, so went huge when he was on.
    This post was more than likely SC based.
    If in doubt, assume it was.

16. Likes Notorious_29, Athomas, Narkee liked this post
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    589 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thoughts on Gibbons and Atkins?

I've currently got both of them in my midfield which is partially due to budget restraints. Atkins seems like a solid battler but do worry about his JS in the Geelong team. Gibbons is in a poor scoring role although I feel like from the parts I've tuned into, he's always around it and I like his chase on the opposition which should be alright for him holding his spot (AT will correct me if I'm wrong I'm sure). I also wonder with Gibbons is he an injury or two away from getting midfield minutes? If so, this could really help his numbers given what he was doing in the VFL. Unsure how likely this is though as I figure we'd have seen a little bit of it in the pre season if that was any chance of being on the cards.

18. Likes Athomas liked this post
    Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by dylan123 View Post

I've currently got both of them in my midfield which is partially due to budget restraints. Atkins seems like a solid battler but do worry about his JS in the Geelong team. Gibbons is in a poor scoring role although I feel like from the parts I've tuned into, he's always around it and I like his chase on the opposition which should be alright for him holding his spot (AT will correct me if I'm wrong I'm sure). I also wonder with Gibbons is he an injury or two away from getting midfield minutes? If so, this could really help his numbers given what he was doing in the VFL. Unsure how likely this is though as I figure we'd have seen a little bit of it in the pre season if that was any chance of being on the cards.
    Gibbons - They seem to want him (and Ed Curnow) playing small forward roles. That he got no midfield minutes in the JLT is not a great sign for that prospect, imo. I do agree if he got midfield minutes he'd score very well and maybe when push comes to shove and they need to win games he might get a chance but his role is not good (unless you think Carlton are going to really improve) and even his JS isn't great given the role he'll play will make his life very difficult. He looks a good player but there are others I personally like more.

Atkins - Is one I like more, Geelong have had a clear focus on forward pressure after letting Menzel walk for nothing simply because of how bad he is and with Ablett being a trainwreck on that front that they plan to play forward they're going to need every ounce of pressure they can get. Simple fact is that Ablett, Hawkins and Ratugolea are all in the awful category for forward pressure. Atkins actually had a decent role but his main job is going to be tackling. He's basically Murphy last year with all the same pros and cons though Atkins is a better tackler and does seem to find the ball a bit more naturally than Murphy (who is more creative in front of goal on the flipside). Atkins has the positive of having a defined role that he was playing and not a lot of competition for it, Miers maybe going for the same gig but he just doesn't look as good at anything to me so I'd have him behind. In before he's not named round 1

The mid rookies seems to be the premium zone to me:

Cousins - Looks primed for a good season. Be interesting if he can hold his really good role in the JLT or he gets pushed out. If he has that role, or anything resembling it, he's probably worth the premium.

Walsh - Lock him in, looks really good.

LDU - Strong role in JLT but they had a few out which could change that. Physically he looks a lot more defined and ready for a big year. Another I think is probably worth the premium.

B. Smith - Think he's a jet of a player but I think he suffers from being at the Dogs where there are just too many midfielders and he'll get stuck way outside on the forward flank which doesn't suit him. Think he'll get plenty of games but not sure he can score in that role well enough to justify the price.

Thomas - He'll probably play early but he doesn't look ready at all and I think his JS will be sketchy and his scoring probably even worse.

Jones - Think he can win a spot with Adelaide but not sure he'll be worth the premium as the JS will be iffy at best and the scoring potential also suspect.

Wills - He's in the mix at the Pies, JS the issue here even if named round 1. Role will also be suspect I think.

Caldwell - He looks a total gun to me and I wouldn't be shocked if he plays most of the games this year. I think he'll start a bit like Taranto, playing forward mostly with a few midfield stints, like Smith I'm not sure if the points are there but I like him a bit more. He seems ready.

Butters - Interesting spot, he looks really good but physically he's really small still and not sure how well he'll hold up to multiple games. Their team is so up in the air and will have a lot of best 22 options on the fringe waiting early on. His JS a bit of a worry as is his role come the proper stuff. Basically same story as Smith where I think he can score in the guts but whether he can find enough ball outside will be the question.

Hately - Looks a really good kid, not sure he's best 22 but he's close and he looks like he'd play a fantasy friendly wing role if he did play. JS questionable though with so many guns coming back early like Ward, Hopper and Kelly.

Constable - Scoring was great in JLT, but it was last year also. Question is whether he can get picked round 1 and then hold his spot, seconded by whether he can score if not playing a midfield role, S. Selwood injury sure doesn't hurt him.

Bewley - He looked really good in his very limited JLT minutes but that probably is the best indicator of where he sits right now. He'd be a strong consideration if named round 1 though.

Hayes - Not sure he can make the team but showed good scoring potential in JLT1. Could score very decently if he does win a spot, would worry about a few of the names coming in pushing him out but worth watching.

Hind - He looked good, rebounding HB type, whether he can make the team is the big question, Roberton injury sure doesn't hurt his cause but they've got a pretty clear top 3 so would need them to probably play Webster as a tall to really open the slot. Think he can score very solidly, in SC particularly, if he does make the team. Mature ager so he's a good chance.

J. Ross - Think he's probably just outside the 22 as he looks a pretty pure midfielder right now and the Tigers heavily value the versatile mids, he'd probably have to beat Graham for a spot and I'd say he's behind the 8 ball right now.

B. Scott - He looked really good. Kind of do it all gadget who will find a role and a way to score with his workrate. He's probably the pick of the cheapies right now, imo.

E. Smith - Big bodied and will likely get games this year but fitness an issue and I'm not sure he plays early but certainly worth some thought if he is named round 1.

Golds - He looked pretty decent to me in JLT1 but was dropped for the 2nd so I guess that means they see him as a Box Hill guy for now.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

20. Likes KFC, Athomas liked this post
    Team
    CARLTON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dylan123 View Post

RE: Gibbons, he's certainly playing small forward and while he won't get midfield minutes directly, he looked good at any stoppages etc around the forward line. 3 of the following 4 are playing Round 1: Cunningham, Fasolo, Polson & Gibbons. Cunningham is basically locked after a great JLT series. You'd have to have Gibbons ahead of Polson (surely!!) but I just found out Polson drives Bolton home from some games, which basically explains why he is in the team.

As for getting more midfield minutes if we have an injury... Possibly. Especially if Fasolo is fit and they want to persist with Polson for some reason. Could argue Ed would be the back-up plan, but we also have O'Brien (more of a wing/half backer though) and probably Kennedy is the main one who would come in (I don't think he will be named Round 1.) Add Stocker to the mix, and no I can't see Gibbons getting midfield minutes in the short term.

I still think I'll be picking Gibbons though. Wogi has basically nailed it as usual, but I'd be looking at Walsh as a lock. I'd go Cousins if paying a premium, otheriwse Atkins/Constable/Butters/Scott/Gibbons. I'd be very surprised if all 5 of those are named, only then will I look at not picking Gibbons I'd say. Bewley/Hind/Ross just look unlikely for Round 1 starts imo.
    AFL Twitter --------------------------- This post is SC related--------------------------Movie Twitter