Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    588 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Midfield Rookies

All discussion to do with Midfield Rookies.

Note: If you are talking about a player for only one competition please state if it is for DT or SC.

FFC Football Operations Manager KickItToButch's Avatar
    Team
    PORT ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Midfield Rookies

How many mid rookies are we all looking at starting? at this early stage I'm looking at going with 4 premo's and 4 rookies.
    I really think we're going to blessed this season with them so I want to start with as many as i can.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    588 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Still another 2-3 positions to fill depending on comp.

I haven't looked at the prices/options yet since I don't have the premium RDT/SC and fanplanners prices are incorrect so I haven't bothered. There are going to be a number of tempting premiums/midpricers that hold value so it should be a fun position to pick from.

Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From an early outlook, looks like it'll be a very heavy guns and rookies year.

We seem to be covered in all positions for on the ground starters. Quite a few of them with dpp flexibility also.

5. Likes Big Sledge #32 liked this post
    Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Notorious_29 View Post
    From an early outlook, looks like it'll be a very heavy guns and rookies year.

We seem to be covered in all positions for on the ground starters. Quite a few of them with dpp flexibility also.
    On the counter there is an awful lot of really juicy midprice options as well at every position!
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

7. Likes KickItToButch liked this post
    Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wogitalia View Post
    On the counter there is an awful lot of really juicy midprice options as well at every position!
    Yeah fair enough, I'm not seeing too many that look genuine premium potential!

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Notorious_29 View Post
    Yeah fair enough, I'm not seeing too many that look genuine premium potential!
    Yeah that group is a bit more limited, probably a half dozen on the high end of the midfielders (guys like Viney, Barlow and Shiel for instance) but I think there's a lot of forwards and backs that have at least low end keeper potential.

That said, the midprice guys don't need to be amazing if they're underpriced enough, 30 points underpriced is one of the pricier rookies doing 60-65 scoring or the cheapies doing 50-55 which for many is their upper end but more importantly it's also an extra 25-30 points on field each week. A guy like Swallow is, imo, very much worth the punt if he has a full preseason, and he's been not that far from premium in his best year to boot.

Midprice is always dangerous to go with but they've become a lot more viable with the top rookies being so much more expensive now. I had Libba, Crouch, Zerrett, Hall and Wells last year as well as Robinson (borderline of midprice and low end premium as a starting price), Weitering, Mills, Parish, Dea and BenKen all at 180k plus and 3 more rookies at ~145k+. In many ways getting the best scoring/cash combo can include a lot of midprice guys rather than pure rookies, I also traded in Fantasia during the season who scored me a couple of hundred extra points and made nearly 200k in the process despite being a total failure as a "potential keeper". A guy like Libba made only 140k for me last year compared to Davis who made 200k for example but Libba was a rock solid 98 points a week for me also, that was 300 points on the best rookies that others were starting instead of him over the 10 weeks I held him, that's the real power of a couple of midprice guys that "work" even if not ending up premiums.

Again though, very dangerous game, Crouch was a failure (ultimately only because he was hurt and dropped rather his scoring level at seasons end) but even then he was a free shot at the best rookie I'd missed in any position due to the power of DPP and that cash was the first upgrade funded as well.

Like this year, say you take Beams and Swallow, that's ~710k spent on that pair. Say Beams improves only 20 points, to 100, which would be his worst average in 6 years other than last year and Swallow only gets back to his rookie numbers (27 point improvement), that's still 180 points on the field and given that they're both likely to at least punch a 120 for price spiking probably 300k of cash generated and probably 3 trades to get two premiums out of them. Now Swallow has averaged 103 and Beams 123 so both have premium plausibility at least so I think they're the type worth a punt knowing that 10 weeks and the above results is going to be a win and any more is just gravy.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    711 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Anyone else looking at George Horlin-Smith?

200k in RDT. Scored at a very rapid rate in the JLT series.

11. Likes Notorious_29 liked this post
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    588 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Not really but only due to the fact he's been around for a while and Geelong have never looked to give him a proper gig.

Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has been on my radar for sure. Like Taranto at his price a little better currently though.

Thoughts on JS @Narkee ?

Team
    GEELONG
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

It's a tough one. Basically a make or break season for him (said that for the last few years). His JLT has been solid. With Caddy gone there is a chance he will get games. I suppose it comes down to how Scooter is tracking. If he is named round 1 he could be well worth the punt. He can score and because he is premium rookie priced he is an easy escape if dropped.
    Zach Tuohy my boy for 2017!

15. Likes Notorious_29 liked this post
    Team
    PORT ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My biggest question is those gold coast rookies.

Who'll score better out of Bowes, Ainsworth & Brodie?

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    711 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by KickItToButch View Post
    My biggest question is those gold coast rookies.

Who'll score better out of Bowes, Ainsworth & Brodie?
    I'd be very surprised if given current roles Ainsworth ends on top.

Bowes is the only one of the three I'm looking at currently and he's in both my sides. Think his role/position is the side is considerably better than the other two..

Brodie has scored well so far, but his underage numbers aren't close to as strong as Bowes'.

18. Likes KickItToButch liked this post
    Team
    PORT ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I have Bowes as well. Was keen on Ainsworth as well, but with the emergence of some of the midpricers (Steele & Nankervis) I've moved away from him and went with Pickett in the forward line.

FFC Football Operations Manager Hodges's Avatar
    Team
    HAWTHORN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah from what I saw in the final game, Bowes has the best role. Was heavily involved rebounding the ball in the first quarter, faded a lot afterwards but looked great early. Ainsworth was very much anchored to that forward line by comparison.
    Only ever talking SC