Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    921 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Re: Back Premiums

That is a massive loss, Shaw is tempting now.
    SC is FFC's number 1 fantasy game

Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    921 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Anyone considering Pearce Hanley at 428K? Round 10 bye a negative but this article is promising :-

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/...975d3e1eabc1a4

GOLD Coast coach Stuart Dew says he’ll look to employ veteran Pearce Hanley through the midfield this season as he makes good strides in his comeback from injury.

The Gaelic import broke his hand in November’s AFL international series opener in Adelaide against Australia, instilling fears he wouldn’t be ready to go for Round 1.

But Dew said the former Brisbane Lions mainstay was ready to return before Christmas, with the club taking the safe option and reintroducing him following the break.

Hanley has played 10 seasons of AFL and shapes as one of Dew’s go-to senior players in the wake of marquee man Gary Ablett’s return to Geelong.

“Experience,” Dew said when asked what Hanley would bring to the table.

“I think he has a really good mentality towards playing the game; I’ll lean on him a fair bit with his resilience down back, but I also think he’s worth a look in the midfield at times as well, because his decision-making and hand to foot skills are fantastic.

“He’s an experienced campaigner, he’s in good condition and I look forward to working with him in the ball skills.”

Finished last season strongly with the following scores :- 90,119, 100, 87 & 105.

3. Likes Notorious_29 liked this post
    Team
    CARLTON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    485 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apart from the rucks, I don't think R10 bye is too much of an issue this season.

Not too sure I like Hanley through the mids but yeah I think you can have a player on each line (defence/mids/forwards) from GC/Port without too much to worry about.
    AFL Twitter --------------------------- This post is SC related--------------------------Movie Twitter

Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bunga View Post
    Anyone considering Pearce Hanley at 428K? Round 10 bye a negative but this article is promising :-

Finished last season strongly with the following scores :- 90,119, 100, 87 & 105.
    Is currently in my first attempt at a lineup. As you mentioned finished last year well, has a best season of scoring at 98.5 DT/103.7 SC. I think we forget just how good a of a player Hanley is when he's going.

Most of the Suns midfielders are inside guys (Touk, Swallow, Barlow, Lyons), so I think Hanley, Weller and Hall will see a lot of the outside ball.

There seems to be a ton of undervalued guys this year in all positions, my team is looking quite mid priced for the time being.

6. Likes Bunga liked this post
    FFC Football Operations Manager KickItToButch's Avatar
    Team
    PORT ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hanley is the exact type of player Dew will get the most out of.

did hear somewhere he was having a good pre season as well. Most def on the radar.
    Good we have 4 or 5 solid options at that 400k price range in defence.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Hanley was epic at the end of his best season as well, much higher than his actual average ended up.

Durability is disastrous though which is his biggest negative. I'm absolutely watching him though, one of the few genuine 110 potential defenders this year.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    921 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-02-2...-in-suns-belly

PEARCE Hanley is coming off a year he "wouldn't wish on anyone" but says he's ready to start fresh.

And the skilled Irishman says he can recapture his best form.

The newly-appointed Gold Coast leader endured the year from hell in 2017, starting with a return to Ireland to be with his younger brother Tommy who died of cancer at the age of 16.

It rocked Hanley, who played the opening round of the season against former club Brisbane knowing he would be on the next available flight out of Australia to spend Tommy's final days with him.

Upon returning to the Suns weeks later, Hanley then suffered an ankle injury in his first NEAFL game and did not return to the seniors until round 10.

For the rest of the season he was chasing his tail and playing inconsistent footy.

Things took a further twist in November when the 29-year-old broke his hand playing for Ireland in the International Rules Series.

Hanley told AFL.com.au the year took a toll on him.

"Last year you wouldn't wish on anyone," Hanley said.

"Towards the end of the year we tried to make light of it because so much had gone wrong.

"We said 2018 was going to be my year and that's how I'm looking at it.

"I just see it as a fresh start.

"I've got a positive frame of mind and I'm excited for games to start and see this young group move forward."

Hanley has made a big impact in his 15 months at the Suns and was one of only two changes, along with ruckman Jarrod Witts, made to the leadership group to deputise for co-captains Tom Lynch and Steven May.

After a poor final year at the Lions in 2016, and last season's struggles, Hanley said he was more determined than ever to play well under new coach Stuart Dew.

"I've had a few lean years for obvious reasons and not-so-obvious reasons, but I definitely see some good football ahead of me that I'm excited to show everyone," he said.

"It kind of burns deep down a little bit.

"I don't need that to get me up to play but it is an incentive I use on days when you're not feeling so good on the training track.

"It lights the fire inside the belly.

"I use a lot of things as inspiration and that's one of them.

"I've had a great pre-season (after recovering from the broken hand), and I just can't wait for games to start."
    http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-02-2...-in-suns-belly

10. Likes Notorious_29 liked this post
    Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Watching!

Would be funny if after all the talk of value options in the forwards most teams end up running it down back instead.

Part of me just wants to go YOLO this year and just go for broke. Basically like the team that N29 has put up!

Team
    GEELONG
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wogitalia View Post
    Watching!

Would be funny if after all the talk of value options in the forwards most teams end up running it down back instead.

Part of me just wants to go YOLO this year and just go for broke. Basically like the team that N29 has put up!
    Why not? Whatís the worst that can happen? You burn 10 trades getting rid of failed value picks and jumping on the best rookies / upping to premium bolters / hoarding cash for a savage upgrade process. Mind you, that will happen in the first 6 rounds if things go pear shaped /yolo
    Zach Tuohy my boy for 2017!

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is starting to feel like one of those "changing of the guard" type years. Lots of options. Very refreshing.
    Proud coach of Big Jenny Talia FFC
    SC 2013 - 11th
    SC 2014
    - 16th
    SC 2015 and beyond - foetal position

"Yonnies in the wind, we're ruggin' up for winter"

14. Likes Crow-mo liked this post
    Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Narkee View Post
    Why not? What’s the worst that can happen? You burn 10 trades getting rid of failed value picks and jumping on the best rookies / upping to premium bolters / hoarding cash for a savage upgrade process. Mind you, that will happen in the first 6 rounds if things go pear shaped /yolo
    Back when I used to run a couple of teams one of them was always based on this... it never went well.

It's just hard to nail, most of the "value" guys are there for a good reason and for an awful lot of them it's that they've spent most of the past couple of seasons injured.

It's also just hard to pull off and not end up without the super premiums or without enough cash generation because when the speculative guys fail they make no cash and take trades, you can dump down but then you're losing points until you can redeploy that cash.

I'd love to crunch the numbers on how many you'd have to hit and at what threshold they'd have to perform to be a viable strategy. My gut says you'd have to hit at probably at least 75% and that they'd need to end up within a couple of points of premium level.

The bigger problem I think is just that if several fail you've used most of the alternatives as well so you're basically just restructuring with trades instead of upgrading early in the season.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Wheedus View Post
    This is starting to feel like one of those "changing of the guard" type years. Lots of options. Very refreshing.
    Or a bounce back year for all the fallen guns...

There are so many midprice and borderline premium priced guys with strong histories or strong narratives for improvement.

Team
    GEELONG
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

The bigger problem I think is just that if several fail you've used most of the alternatives as well so you're basically just restructuring with trades instead of upgrading early in the season.
    No one is upgrading in the first 5 rounds. At best you might get one upgrade in round 6.
    Zach Tuohy my boy for 2017!

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

No one is upgrading in the first 5 rounds. At best you might get one upgrade in round 6.
    It also takes a good 4 or 5 weeks to make a decision on the midprice guys though as well. Not many fail so epically that you know to get rid of them at round 3 so it's basically just making a slightly more educated guess at that point. Ideally those trades are for a premium with a terrible role change or an injury (ideally you don't need them I guess!).

Take last year, if you'd traded after 2-4 rounds you'd probably have had serious doubts on Ryder just before he got going.

That's the problem, it probably takes 6 weeks to assess unless you've picked for a position change that doesn't happen or a position change does happen that you don't want and by then you're in the midst of upgrade season where you kind of have to hold.

Last year I had to deal with JOM in round 5 for instance.
    Last edited by Wogitalia; 24th February 2018 at 10:24 AM.

FFC Agent of Chaos Big Sledge #32's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    577 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hanley was epic at the end of his best season as well, much higher than his actual average ended up.

Durability is disastrous though which is his biggest negative. I'm absolutely watching him though, one of the few genuine 110 potential defenders this year.

That tail end was close to the most insane thing I've seen in DT. Him, Rocky and Stef just combing for massive scores week in, week out. With basically zero effect on the scoreboard.
    Baltimore Ravens Superbowl XLVII Champions
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos