WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    918 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Re: Back Premiums

@Wogitalia

I should of clarified quality defenders very capable of averaging 100+ which you need to be at a minimum to be a premium defender.

Just on Vince, he looked average v WCE as Hodges mentioned.

Boyd/Montagna/ maybe Simpson worried about age catching up with them.JJ I share your concerns, Rance poor preseason.

Howe interests me, probably having Bucks as his coach the main concern

Laird is my standout, no brainer pick. Shaw so proven, now so durable (believe yoga has been a huge help for him at GWS) is my next pick. Docherty is the obvious other pick with proven scoring/durability - the only sticking points are him being almost 600K so good chance he will drop in price/ playing in a poor side so scoring maybe affected as we know SC scoring favours winning teams. So I was looking at other alternatives that were well priced that could average over 100 hence Adams discussion.

In the end, I might just bite the bullet & pay his price with so many question marks I have over the others - make sacrifices on other lines.
    SC is FFC's number 1 fantasy game

2. Likes Wogitalia liked this post
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Adams seems to have much higher upside in RDT than SC, which offsets the durability issue. for me, the problem in SC is that he is not that much better, his differentiation isn't that much better to justify the risk. in RDT it probably is
    TEX WALKER. that is all.

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    673 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Crow-mo View Post
    Adams seems to have much higher upside in RDT than SC, which offsets the durability issue. for me, the problem in SC is that he is not that much better, his differentiation isn't that much better to justify the risk. in RDT it probably is
    Totally concur. Too good not to pick in RDT, too many more durable options of similar quality in SC for mine.
    Never bet against Tom Rockliff

5. Likes Crow-mo, Athomas liked this post
    Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

SC is always volatile though and a guy like Adams has the kind of kinks that can be ironed out and if he goes ratio positive then he could be on another level in SC as well.

It's funny, as little as I'm looking to start him in SC I'd say he's at the very top of the list of the guys who scare me. Adams is one of 4 names that I see that I think have the 110+ capability, Hodge is really only in the 4 because he's done it a couple of times, Docherty I think will do it, Shaw is capable but I have a few doubts and Adams has probably the highest ceiling of the lot and if he stayed healthy it would go a long way towards it happening.

The other thing to consider with Adams is that's he genuinely underpriced. He averaged over 102 when you remove his two injury impacted games so that's already 5 points discounted which at least makes him have a benefit for his shocking durability.

Adams is the kind of pick that can win it all though, basically if he's going to play 22 games this year then he's probably as cheap as he'll be all year. He's that pick that is so hard to trade into because of the durability as well so he stays far more unique than the other backs. Basically if you didn't start him it's because of durability which makes upgrading to him just as hard so the only way he changes that landscape is by scoring so much that people HAVE to jump on him and then they're really spending their money on past performance and just hoping he keeps it up to justify it, chasing points so to speak.

Heath Shaw was actually the same case last year, those who didn't start him basically didn't trust him but when he was averaging 120 after 9 rounds they had to move heaven and earth to fix it and then of course he was below average the rest of the way but even if he hadn't been those people were just getting what they paid for and what he'd already produced.

I'm genuinely in a battle with myself whether the safety of Simpson is better than the game changer potential of Adams. You're basically betting whether you think Adams can play 20+ games which is a pretty decent punt.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

7. Likes Bunga liked this post
    Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    918 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

That's the thing Wogi, Adams is the type of risky pick that has the potential to be a huge win if he stays fit.
    SC is FFC's number 1 fantasy game

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Bunga View Post
    That's the thing Wogi, Adams is the type of risky pick that has the potential to be a huge win if he stays fit.
    I may have slipped him into my latest draft after talking myself into it. I also will probably talk myself out of it the next time I see him in a team thread.

It's starting to feel a lot like Christmas (or my weird version of it!). I had the first SC nightmare (missed lockout of course, which isn't even real anymore but I still have it!) last night, which means we're almost there!

Team
    COLLINGWOOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm trying to find the number of those games he (Adams) has missed through suspension over the past few years but not having any luck. Definitely has the durability concerns but I'm pretty certain there are at least a couple of two week suspensions in there inflating the games missed tally.
    The eBert era is over

Team
    HAWTHORN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hes locked in all my sides, seemed a no brainer to me.

12. Likes Big Sledge #32, Crows88 liked this post
    Team
    COLLINGWOOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah same. Seems like one of those argue the case for the sake of the discussion ones for me. Even missing a couple of games he's still likely to be right up there at the top of the total points scored column in his position come years end.
    The eBert era is over

Team
    CARLTON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    482 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just getting it on record that I think Adams is a terrible pick

Not sure why many think his scoring potential will improve (age?) as Collingwood's midfield has Josh Smith, De Goey, Crisp and WHE improving as well. Not sure how his durability is magically overlooked (15,16,12,18,14) and I will happily enjoy when he goes down with a two-three week hammy in Round 4.
    AFL Twitter --------------------------- This post is SC related--------------------------Movie Twitter

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Athomas View Post

Not sure why many think his scoring potential will improve (age?) as Collingwood's midfield has Josh Smith, De Goey, Crisp and WHE improving as well. Not sure how his durability is magically overlooked (15,16,12,18,14) and I will happily enjoy when he goes down with a two-three week hammy in Round 4.
    harsh but fair
    TEX WALKER. that is all.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    586 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Pretty solid point, my worry will be that if I don't start with him, he'll be a target in target so those games miss will be just as much of a concern when upgrading as it would be starting with him. Tough one.

Team
    CARLTON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    482 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh for sure, it's either start with him or not. I had the same attitude with Gawn last year and I was 100% wrong
    AFL Twitter --------------------------- This post is SC related--------------------------Movie Twitter

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Athomas View Post

The 4 guys you named are all rubbish players (so far) who aren't pushing Adams out of midifeld time. Basically he's the classic midfielder who is classified as a defender for some reason. Agree entirely on durability, it's the sole reason that he's not in every single team ever, imo, but his scoring potential is just not doubtable, take out the injury games and he gets over 5 points in both formats and if he ever stays health I reckon that's understated.

Basically Adams is your textbook durability play, if he stays healthy (which is the only bet) he's going to be in the top 2 or 3 scorers and if he doesn't stay healthy he'll be a rubbish starter.

I agree he's a sink or swim prospect from a durability perspective but I think you're dead wrong on the the rest. He's a guy who if he plays 22 and you don't start him you're cooked. Of course the smart money is that he doesn't play 22 so there is a lot of merit in not starting him and laughing at the first pinger!

19. Likes Bunga, Athomas liked this post
    FFC Assistant Coach TIGERLICIOUS's Avatar
    Team
    RICHMOND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adams is the guy I'm genuinely having the hardest time deciding on in RDT. Basically, if you don't start him there's (a) little point of upgrading to him based on durability concerns (especially through bye rounds) and (b) most likely an extremely tough guy to bring in money wise if he starts strongly. In RDT you'd say he's capable of 110 ppg which makes him hard to overlook. Let's say he plays 18 games this year @ 110 ppg = 1980 points. Compare that to the durable Simpson who might drop off by 5 ppg but play all 22 games. 22 games @ 95 ppg = 2090 points. That's 110 extra points and a trade saved by opting for Simpson over Adams and that's factoring in an improvement for Adams and a decline for Simpson. Goes back to what I was saying in another thread, it all depends on structure and how much risk you can afford to take. Factor in guys like Beams, Rockliff, Sandilands, JOM, Swallow all with checkered injury history's and this season is shaping as a battle selecting just the right amount of these guys. This could be the year where durability is king. This post is a promise to myself that I won't be tempted by fools gold this year!

In SC I don't see Adams as having anywhere near the hurt factor he could have in RDT.

Edit: Finally hit the 1,000 post milestone. That was a long time coming