Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    589 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Back Premiums

All discussion to do with Back Premiums.

Note: If you are talking about a player for only one competition please state if it is for DT or SC.

Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Back Premiums

Heater, Docherty and Laird my favourable premos early days. (DT)

What are we thinking in regards to J.McVeigh this season. Seems cheap, any know how he's travelling this pre-season?

FFC General Manager KickItToButch's Avatar
    Team
    PORT ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really seriously thinking about taking Zac Williams in SC & RDT this season instead of H Shaw saving a few $ in the process. Can see Williams push his average into the 95-100 pt ppg region.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Notorious_29 View Post
    Heater, Docherty and Laird my favourable premos early days. (DT)

What are we thinking in regards to J.McVeigh this season. Seems cheap, any know how he's travelling this pre-season?
    Haven't heard much at all on him other than he stepped down as captain and as far as I know has been a full participant in the preseason to date.

Buddy and Parker are the two main relevant Swans who are not yet in full training (shoulder and knee respectively) but should be in the next few weeks.

Hanners has been the standout of the fantasy relevant guys with career bests in the time trials.

Reckon Simpson might be the guy who goes under the radar again as a starting pick. Has missed 5 games in the last 11 years, has basically posted premium numbers in all those years and was a major benefactor to the style they played last year and they've changed nothing in their list structure to suggest a big change in style this year at least. Though I also like Docherty more because the guys just an out and out stud.

Boyd is really the only guy I have any real question over with Murphy to return and so many other rebounders in the team, he was at his best in the rounds 5-17 region where both JJ and Wood also missed considerable time in addition to Murphy which in addition to his durability record makes him the odd man out for me of the big 4 (SC) and of the guys at the top in DT also.

Montagna the other guy who will probably go a bit under the radar just because he's been around so long. Pretty safe choice as well.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    922 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-02-2...th-calf-strain

VETERAN Saint Leigh Montagna will not play in the opening match of the JLT Community Series against Port Adelaide on Thursday night after suffering a calf strain last week.

"He hurt his calf last week, so he's not fully fit. If he was, he'd definitely be in our team. We're expecting him to be ready around JLT3, give or take," Kingsley said at Seaford on Tuesday.

"We're expecting him to definitely be fit for round one."
    http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-02-2...th-calf-strain

Calf issues are an old man's injury, can be hard to shake... might give him a miss now.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-02-2...string-setback

RICHMOND star Alex Rance has been battling a hamstring complaint and is set to miss his side's opening clash of the JLT Community Series against Adelaide.

Rance, 27, has recently been on a modified program and the Tigers confirmed the three-time All Australian defender has been suffering hamstring tendinitis.

"[Rance] has been looking after a tendinitis thing that he has had," Tigers football manager Neil Balme told News Corp.

"He could play (this weekend) if it were a real (home and away season) game, but he probably hasn’t done the work to do [play] yet.

"We are just trying to get him up to speed so he doesn't have a chronic year."
    http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-02-2...string-setback

Another premium defender with issues...
    SC is FFC's number 1 fantasy game

Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah as much as I love Montagna I was finding it hard to put him in my top 3 or 4 premium defender options anyway. With that news probably give him a miss with the hope of picking him up a bit cheaper throughout the season potentially.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Yeah Montagna was firmly on my upgrade targets list anyway so this isn't the worst news for that.

Rance also more of an upgrade target given the other options.

FFC Agent of Chaos Big Sledge #32's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    577 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I mentioned it in the JLT thread but Laird attended 8 centre bounces last night.

Looks like one of the solutions we are trialing for our horrendous midfield depth. He scored excellently as well. If you knew he would play 20+ games then he'd be a lock I dare say.
    Baltimore Ravens Superbowl XLVII Champions
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkee View Post
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    589 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Could be a few reasons behind that. First being no Brad Crouch or Sloane, another being it allowed us to use Wigg further back to see how he'd go in such a situation (I assume that's where he was although I didn't really notice him much). Either way though, I suppose he'll certainly be looked as someone we'll try rotate in the midfield and if we're serious about becoming more Bulldogs then guys like him will get more midfield time.

FFC Agent of Chaos Big Sledge #32's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    577 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dylan123 View Post
    Could be a few reasons behind that. First being no Brad Crouch or Sloane, another being it allowed us to use Wigg further back to see how he'd go in such a situation (I assume that's where he was although I didn't really notice him much). Either way though, I suppose he'll certainly be looked as someone we'll try rotate in the midfield and if we're serious about becoming more Bulldogs then guys like him will get more midfield time.
    Not the right chat for it, but Wigg was basically back pocket all game from what I saw. Once you realised he was the palest guy on the field by a fair way he was easier to spot. A lot of quick possessions, I was surprised when I saw him hit 20 touches, but he could easily free up Laird to basically make the transition Brodie Smith couldn't. Or put pressure on Luke Brown if he stinks again.

But I think the no Brad/Sloane was definitely part of it. But we have to fill multiple spots in that midfield and he's clearly one of the more capable ones.
    Baltimore Ravens Superbowl XLVII Champions
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkee View Post
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos

11. Likes dylan123 liked this post
    Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    922 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

No discussion on Taylor Adams is surprising.

We know his durability is an issue (never played more than 18 games in a season) but lets consider some positives :-

Priced at 527K in SC - mid/def so adds flexibility

- Knows how to find the footy & loves to tackle which means consistent scoring
    - Two consecutive 95 average seasons
    - Key member of the Collingwood midfield, will be attending plenty of centre bounces which = clearances.
    - 23 years old now so entering his prime age of his footy career.

Obviously never playing more than 18 games in a season is a major sticking point but his scoring ability/ role he will be playing is something to seriously consider when there are such a lack of quality defender premiums this year.
    SC is FFC's number 1 fantasy game

13. Likes Notorious_29 liked this post
    Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also been included in a recently narrowed down 3 man leadership group at the Pies as well with Pendles and Sidebottom. Just to add to his role in the team, integral part of their midfield.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Bunga View Post
    No discussion on Taylor Adams is surprising.

We know his durability is an issue (never played more than 18 games in a season) but lets consider some positives :-

Priced at 527K in SC - mid/def so adds flexibility

- Knows how to find the footy & loves to tackle which means consistent scoring
    - Two consecutive 95 average seasons
    - Key member of the Collingwood midfield, will be attending plenty of centre bounces which = clearances.
    - 23 years old now so entering his prime age of his footy career.

Obviously never playing more than 18 games in a season is a major sticking point but his scoring ability/ role he will be playing is something to seriously consider when there are such a lack of quality defender premiums this year.
    I tend to strongly disagree with the last comment you've made about the lack of quality defender premiums and it's a major reason why Adams hasn't come into my consideration at all in SC. His durability is just flat out awful and there are discipline issues also. He also has pretty average disposal which hurts him in SC and his clanger numbers are always high which are fatal.

Ultimately though it's more the other options for mine.

Docherty - 109 average but he averaged 113 over his last 16 games last year after a slow start as the whole side adjusted to the new game plan. I personally see him as a Hodge/Goddard type option in the backs. Mid sized defender who is both the primary intercept marker and rebounder with absolutely elite disposal and contested skills. Basically I think he can push the 115 mark this year.

Simpson - 106 average with beyond elite durability record and elite scoring history, though last year was his best season so some decline is possible. That said, like Docherty he averaged 109 over his last 16 games last year when they seemed to really establish a style.

Shaw - 106 and 110 the year before with very good durability since leaving the Pies. I'm a little down on him but I still think he can push 100+ quite easily and really he could just as easily bounce back to 110+ again.

Boyd - Has been incredible in defense and back to back 103 seasons now, his durability is a concern but it's way better than Adams' at least. Slight concerns on how they squeeze Murphy in after JJ's emergence but I reckon Boyd is the one name that's very safe in the role and that it would be Murphy and JJ who both can play other positions effectively that will shuffle if anyone. Basically I think he's being ignored for no good reason again and I know he was an awesome part of my success last year.

Montagna - Poor preseason is the only reason that I'm not considering him but he's also an elite scorer with a terrific durability record. Reckon he'll score better as the team improves as well which I expect they will (even if it's not in the wins column at the end of the year).

Rance - Has been elite now for a couple of seasons, suspension was all that cost him games last year. Has also had a poor preseason I believe and as a KPD will always be a decent upgrade chance but he's just rock solid in this format.

Laird - Underpriced from injury and a great player also. Think he can improve to where Simpson and Doch were last year. Midfield time possible and based on preseason numbers it wont hurt him. Durability is a little cloudy but still beats Adams by a mile.

JJ - Was averaging 105 over the first month, which includes a game he played little over a half in and then 95 over the last 8 including finals after he regained fitness returning. I only have two concerns with him, durability and his role with Bob returning. His scoring was alongside Bob and Boyd last year so not a big concern.

Vince - The forgotten man I think but solid mid 90s guy who could easily go higher in a good season and been super durable for Melbourne. I'm surprised I haven't seen him in any sides at all and I'll actually be watching him closely when I watch the Melbourne games. He was averaging 100+ for the first 13 games before his injury against Freo that I think limited him the rest of the year as he really limped home. His role is probably the big question with some changes at Melbourne.

Howe - Averaged 98 as a defender last year, don't see any reason he can't sustain that and has sneaky good durability.

Then you've got McVeigh, Hodge, Houli, Williams, Gov, Hurley, Gibson and TMac who are all very strong options also though perhaps not all as starting picks with a few out early.

I genuinely think this is the strongest crop of defender premiums I can recall.

Also to be fair... I think Adams has the ability to be a 110+ guy, which is something I reckon only a very select few others can do in the group, so his upside reward does go a long way to countering the durability concern and I actually think he's a very good option, I'm just a sucker for a durable premium when I can find one

16. Likes Crow-mo liked this post
    Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

I should add that if Adams does stay healthy I'd expect he's in the top 6 in SC as well. I might have changed song after I watch him

FFC Football Operations Manager Hodges's Avatar
    Team
    HAWTHORN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good thoughts, agree with many of them. Just on Vince, he has had a pretty poor JLT and reading on some Dees forums they think he has lost a yard of pace and is not a good option in the backline at all. Not sure he cracks back into the midfield rotation too heavily given the young talent in there. There's a lot of good options in the backs this year, wouldn't be taking the risk with an ageing Vince
    Only ever talking SC

19. Likes Wogitalia liked this post