SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Re: Back Midpricers

May as well get some talk going for 2018, cherry picking the guys I like, for me midprice starts at 85 and ends at the 225k mark, so a lot of names. I'll probably miss a few and I'm not really looking for them this year as I think the premiums are going to be very safe picks so I'm hoping to load up on them and rookies...

I've tried to put thoughts on guys I think are relevant, be they positive or negative.

Luke Hodge - Just scrapes in, expect he plays a QB role just mopping up and there will be a lot of mopping to be done. I'm more concerned about durability than scoring potential. No reason he can't be a 95+ guy for a season but I expect him to miss a bunch of games.

Steven May - Improving KPD right on the edge of premium already. More rebounding chances with a lot of their guys leaving and I expect they may be even worse this year, meaning more chances.

Luke McDonald - Slowly improving top draft pick in a team where he should get more and more responsibility. Another right on the edge of the premium threshold already.

Ryan Burton - Showed a lot last year, will be asked more of this year I suspect.

Heath Shaw - He was phased out last year and it began the year before, I don't really see a reason to think he bounces back.

Tom McDonald - Don't like him as a forward for fantasy purposes and have to think the Lever pursuit is at least partially to formalise that move.

Jack Crisp - I'd like it more if the move to the HBF wasn't permanent as has been suggested in preseason. His scoring has been pretty consistent across roles anyway though and a rebounding role could help him improve his scoring. Worth watching.

Jarrad McVeigh - Would need a perfect preseason for me but there isn't any reason he can't be a 95+ guy if he gets that preseason. Still durability has fallen apart the past couple of seasons. For what it's worth, his preseason has so far been perfect and has completed every single session to date.

Jason Johannisen - Very much on my radar, drank the cool-aid last year, seemed to get impacted by the rumours whether they were true or not and suffered under tags. Still averaged 82 and has 100+ potential that he's shown for extended periods. I think all things considered he's the strongest name in the 75-85 group.

Christian Salem - Talented player who needs a clean run at it, from what I've seen is having his best preseason yet and might be moving up the ground to potentially more prominent grounds.

Jake Lever - Have to think he'll be prominently featured in the game plan after the absurd price they paid for him if for no other reason than to try and justify it. Intercepts very well so has the potential to score very well in SC and a bit of media overhyping has never hurt anyone.

Jasper Pittard -
    Severely underpriced after a mare of a year, I expect the premium level to be 95 this year and he's shown himself capable of pushing that, so he's basically 20 points underpriced.

Pearce Hanley - I'll never forget that season. With all their outs, if he could just have a preseason and his midfield role there's just no reason he can't be a 110 type again which gives him a solid 15 points of unders on that to still be a keeper. No word on his position yet though but has been back in full training from his broken hand and done full conditioning at least before that.

Hamish Hartlett -
    Similar story to Pittard really but he's looked done to me for two years so would need to see something special from him in the NAB.

Nathan Wilson - Freo went and got him and have to think they plan on using him. Rebound has been a real issue for them and the lack of anyone to really focus on doing it hasn't helped. Can he find more pill and push towards a premium level? He's basically Tuohy at Carlton level pricing and going into a similar situation.

Callum Mills - Will be on this list for a while I think because of his clear cut potential. Has set the standard for the 4 years and under guys and trained with the midfield group for parts of the preseason. For me it's entirely on the midfield role for him, like Heeney he's just pure class and it's more opportunity than anything.

James Sicily - Was very good after moving back last year, averaged 91 over the last 10 games after switching back, which included a 25 where he got sent forward in the 2nd half. He's basically the same thing as Jeremy Howe, high marking intercept mid sized guy. The Gibson role with more marking has 100+ potential to me. Biggest question is whether the role will stick or be used as a learning experience. Big time watch list for me though.

KK - Has to be on the list still because of his potential, injuries have savaged him recently but the talent is still there somewhere. New coach can't hurt him either.

Andrew McGrath -
    #1 pick that looked the goods and is expected to get more midfield time, where he was a junior star, what more could you want? Can he get enough midfield time and improve his other scoring areas enough to go premium, that's my biggest doubt but he's super mature and a really talented kid that makes me think he can. I don't think I can pick him over Sicily right now but I'm certainly open to him twisting my arm.

Trent McKenzie - What can the move away from the GC do for him? For the most part that move has had surprisingly little influence on the football that guys have played so I'm not sold but I'll still watch closely, Pittard is higher on my list right now.

Angus Brayshaw - Remain a fan of the kid, just needs to stay on the park, not sure he can push the average but depends how much conditioning he's been able to do while missing games.

Grant Birchall - Can't help but feel he is done but he's still got his ability and scoring history going for him and thus must at least be watched.

As I said, probably a few guys missing but those are the names that stood out to me as I went through the list. I'm not really seeking any of these guys, my desire is probably to start with 6 rookies down back and just bargain hunt the other 4 premiums on the belief that there are going to be probably 15-20 guys in the 85-95 group and probably 4 guys around the 100 mark of whom I really couldn't guess more than a couple reliably.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

2. Likes dylan123 liked this post
    FFC Football Operations Manager KickItToButch's Avatar
    Team
    PORT ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really starting to look at Wilson as an alternative to N Haynes. What is Wilson's JS at freo at this stage?

FFC Agent of Chaos Big Sledge #32's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    577 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Wilson is easily best 22 at Fremantle
    Baltimore Ravens Superbowl XLVII Champions
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkee View Post
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sledge #32 View Post
    Wilson is easily best 22 at Fremantle
    Absolutely, imo, the question with him is whether he can get enough of the ball to actually score well. That's been his major issue (from a fantasy perspective, his terrible defensive work is his football issue). Certainly a case he'll be the primary rebounder on a bad team so that's a big factor.

He's a strong watch, reminds me a lot of Tuohy last year, going from the 3rd option on rebound to the #1 but not a natural ball finder or winner so might still struggle to put up enough points.

Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wilson will slot into the main run and carry rebounder 100%. He was second in metres gained in 2017 only behind Dusty with elite skills.

Like wogi though I have doubts whether he can collect enough disposals to be worth of picking in any comp. Probably more of a SC pick.

Very excited to have him at Freo though, with Alex Pearce back this year also I'm looking forward to seeing what the young backline can produce.

7. Likes Wogitalia liked this post
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    586 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

So what's everyone's thoughts on Brayshaw for a DT pick? I've had him in my squad but I haven't really given him much consideration as to where he'll play and in turn, what it might mean to his scoring potential.

Brayshaw managed just the 5 games last season with scores of 83, 45, 89, 83 and 86 for the season. It is worth noting after the 45 in round 2 he didn't play again until round 21 so I'm going to guess he might have had a concussion that game which isn't noted on fanfooty (had a team low TOG of 65%). From the other 4 games, 3 are listed as playing at HFF and the final game was a wing/HBF.

In his two pre season games so far he's scored 41 against North Melbourne and 89 against St.Kilda, both being listed at HFF.

As a junior (2014) he averaged 87.4 DT in the under 18 championship (from 5 games) and 111.4 in the state comp (from 11 games). I'm guessing he got a bit of midfield time with averaging 21.6 touches and 23.3 in the under 18/state comp. From the 16 games played he finished with 20 goals so I suppose he's shown he's capable of kicking goals as a forward. Tackle and mark numbers were fairly decent as well.

All that said, I'm probably wearing off him as a DT pick given he's unlikely to get serious midfield time which we'd probably want to see and the obvious injury risk with the concussions.

Just throught I'd throw it out there, same concerns probably apply to SC for that matter and with a number of rookies, someone like Brayshaw is probably less entertaining at the moment.

FFC Football Operations Manager Hodges's Avatar
    Team
    HAWTHORN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brayshaw suffered a concussion in the VFL in round 5 and then again in round 8. I think his ceiling is still pretty high, the head knocks is a real worry but if he avoids those I think he is a fine pick.

http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/R...Angus-BRAYSHAW

That website is great, it has a one sentence recap for each round of a players season, whether it was AFL or a league below. Been using it heaps this preseason to check why players missed games.
    Only ever talking SC

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

D4 is my achilles heel right now.
    Proud coach of Big Jenny Talia FFC
    SC 2013 - 11th
    SC 2014
    - 16th
    SC 2015 and beyond - foetal position

"Yonnies in the wind, we're ruggin' up for winter"

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    673 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Wheedus View Post
    D4 is my achilles heel right now.
    D3 is mine and Brayshaw is an interesting one.

I need him more in SC from a structural perspective. His SC average last year was below his DT average which is normal a warning sign, but his only game with a ratio less than 1 was the Rd 23 clusterfuffle against Collingwood. Sample space of 5 distorts his averages massively. Also wary of heading too far back to extrapolate scoring trends.

Is he really a DT-only pick?
    Never bet against Tom Rockliff

Team
    GEELONG
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    436 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben the Gooner View Post

I need him more in SC from a structural perspective. His SC average last year was below his DT average which is normal a warning sign, but his only game with a ratio less than 1 was the Rd 23 clusterfuffle against Collingwood. Sample space of 5 distorts his averages massively. Also wary of heading too far back to extrapolate scoring trends.

FWIW (probably very little), I picked him. He’s cheap and would be happy with 80s tbh
    Zach Tuohy my boy for 2017!

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Ben the Gooner View Post

He should be a strong SC scorer if he plays in his natural role as an inside midfielder with good disposal.

So far in JLT he played mostly as a winger though and a lot more outside where his disposal is again only good. When you're inside and your touches are contested good disposal is fine, when you're outside then you need to be elite. Look at Cripps last night, at one point he had 7 uncontested possession and 6 of them were clangers because he'd missed the target.

Brayshaw is very much in a no mans land down back for mine. Priced at 58 you'd really want him to hit premium numbers which while I think he is capable I wouldn't back him to do it. The bigger issue with him is his durability has been horrible to date and his JS isn't great either. Basically you're paying a lot extra for a slight hope of being a premium but most likely sacrificing cash gains instead.

The glimmer of hope of a premium is certainly a bonus though. Personally I think I'd prefer to dig up another 100-150k from somewhere and go the guys on the edge of premium level or drop him to a rookie but this is the year of the midpricer if there has been one in recent times.

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ended up rolling the dice with C. Ellis at D4 (well actually D3 because I moved Sicily FWD). Result - meh. There were some good signs but he just didn't get enough of it / didn't seem to be involved in much of the play. Happy to wait a week and then prob downgrade to the best rookie I miss.

Have to deal with Kreuzer too - and so it begins again - rucking madness
    Proud coach of Big Jenny Talia FFC
    SC 2013 - 11th
    SC 2014
    - 16th
    SC 2015 and beyond - foetal position

"Yonnies in the wind, we're ruggin' up for winter"

15. Likes Athomas liked this post
    Team
    CARLTON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    482 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wheedus View Post
    I ended up rolling the dice with C. Ellis at D4 (well actually D3 because I moved Sicily FWD). Result - meh. There were some good signs but he just didn't get enough of it / didn't seem to be involved in much of the play. Happy to wait a week and then prob downgrade to the best rookie I miss.
    Tigers fans weren't happy with Corey. Wasn't putting his head over the ball apparently. Barely noticed him. Picked in RDT but avoided in SC/AF. I always seem to be behind the 8 ball in RDT early
    AFL Twitter --------------------------- This post is SC related--------------------------Movie Twitter

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Athomas View Post
    Tigers fans weren't happy with Corey. Wasn't putting his head over the ball apparently. Barely noticed him. Picked in RDT but avoided in SC/AF. I always seem to be behind the 8 ball in RDT early
    Fans always hate on the "head over the ball" types who provide excellent footskills on the outside. Fact is the Tigers have Dusty, Cotchin, Caddy, Lambert and Graham to put their head over the ball and having Ellis kicking inside 50 will make them better as a whole.

Plus, Tigers fans tend to be about the most emotional and irrational fan group in the league as a whole so their reactions tend to mean very little to rational decisions.

I thought Ellis was solid without being spectacular. He did nothing to change my mind that he's in a complete and utter dogfight for his spot whenever Prestia is ready to go but also did nothing to suggest he should go out before that happens and to be honest I reckon I'd have him ahead of Conca and Bolton on the players to drop list right now even if Prestia is good this round (admittedly I think Houli takes Conca's spot as well though).

18. Likes Wheedus liked this post
    FFC Football Operations Manager Hodges's Avatar
    Team
    HAWTHORN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are we sure Lambert is a "put your head over the ball" type? I didnt get that impression last night.

Brayshaw is interesting, he could be a beneficiary of Viney missing tbh. The concussion issues scares me away, but I can see the reasons why you would roll the dice. I mean im still tempted by Dougal Howard in a similar price bracket.
    Only ever talking SC