Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Re: Back Midpricers

Quote Originally Posted by Hodges View Post
    Are we sure Lambert is a "put your head over the ball" type? I didnt get that impression last night.

Brayshaw is interesting, he could be a beneficiary of Viney missing tbh. The concussion issues scares me away, but I can see the reasons why you would roll the dice. I mean im still tempted by Dougal Howard in a similar price bracket.
    So many guys in that bracket are tempting until you realise what they actually need to produce. I still like Stringer and a few others up forward as well.

Lambert had a mare last night, could easily have had another 10 touches with a bit of luck. Work rate wasn't under question though.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

Team
    GEELONG
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    436 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Brayshaw emergency.

That throws my plan out a bit.
    Zach Tuohy my boy for 2017!

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

McGrath was apparently close to best on in the latest scracth match playing a midfield role. While that's obviously where he'll end up one day it's worth noting that neither Merrett nor Heppell were playing and that obviously with two teams there are double the number of mids but still, will watch closely, he ticks all the SC scoring boxes.

Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Forward Midpricers

Andrew McGrath?

Earmarked to play in the guts this season, named on the ball for the first JLT game.

Could be another 3rd season breakout candidate.

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Forward Midpricers

Quote Originally Posted by Notorious_29 View Post
    Andrew McGrath?

Earmarked to play in the guts this season, named on the ball for the first JLT game.

Could be another 3rd season breakout candidate.
    He's a solid pick but I'm just not convinced he's going to see a big enough jump in scores. Would love to be proven wrong from an Essendon perspective.

One positive is the fact that he's M/D so if you're looking to use Freo's Tobe Watson (based priced M/D rookie) as your donut for the VC loophole, McGrath creates the link to enable Tobe to float.

In previous years, I've generally gone with the traditional dead R3 for these purposes but assuming Darcy Fort plays, that really isn't an option this season so we have to look elsewhere. Freo have the best early draw with the vast majority of their games late in the round. Tobe ticks all the boxes and as a mature ager there is some talk he might get games this year, which would be an added bonus. However, you really want to have the flexibility to move him between the MIDs and the BACKs to get a look at two emergency bench scores where possible. There are very few viable picks in the BACKs with M/D status. In fact, there are only 13 players in total with M/D status and a lot of them are rookies. It's basically a choice out of Lachie Weller, Andy McGrath, James Aish or Corey Ellis.

Incidentally, Tobe Watson is currently selected in 15% of teams.

Personally, I'll likely go with North's Kyran Hayden (based priced M/F) as my donut at M11. North's draw is reasonably good (other than one Friday night game) pre byes and there are so many more M/F options in the FWDs. The flexibility for playing the emergency loophole is far greater and I suspect the FWD rookies are going to present better bench options for getting a look at scores.

Apologies, I've turned my post into a loophole discussion but for what it's worth, it is a reason to look at McGrath.
    Last edited by Wheedus; 28th February 2019 at 07:48 AM.
    Proud coach of Big Jenny Talia FFC
    SC 2013 - 11th
    SC 2014
    - 16th
    SC 2015 and beyond - foetal position

"Yonnies in the wind, we're ruggin' up for winter"

6. Likes Narkee, Notorious_29, Hodges liked this post
    FFC Football Operations Manager Hodges's Avatar
    Team
    HAWTHORN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All good points. In years past I havent purposefully chosen a floating donut, but its so important for those early rounds.

And agreed on McGrath, mid time is great but he hasnt really shown me that he can be a consistent high scorer at any point. Same story with Mills tbh. At this stage I prefer Brandon Ellis, cheaper than the other two and has a history of scoring well.
    Only ever talking SC

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

McGrath could go great, do like as a player but need to see something special in the JLT and ideally with a full midfield group playing as he got midfield time last year at this point but was pushed out in the real stuff.

Just on the loophole stuff... as great as it sounds, McGrath is going to basically cancel it out. Essendon play by the the early Saturday game in 6 of the first 8 rounds including 3 Friday and a Thursday game, so you're basically going to get a look at maybe 2 or 3 players for all but 2 of the first 8 weeks. Is good for round 1 though when perhaps the biggest variability can be negated.

9. Likes Wheedus liked this post
    Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    918 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

@Tom Browne7
    Roberton update. Doctors are going through the heart data generated by his internal device. I don’t know if the device activated or had to activate. It’s incredibly tricky, because if heart issue has happened again, faces a difficult decision re playing

Poor guy, very scary stuff.
    SC is FFC's number 1 fantasy game

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Bunga View Post

Poor guy, very scary stuff.
    That tweet being pure speculation and terribly written by one of the bigger hacks is a positive sign at least. Only the first two sentences are actually relevant, the rest is just speculative drivel to create a story.

Fingers crossed for Roberton though, it's always shit when someone can't do what they want in life because of their health, especially for a young guy in his prime.

Here's for hoping it's completely unrelated to last years incident and just the Saints being overly (correctly) cautious.

12. Likes Wheedus liked this post
    Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fantasy Freako@FantasyFreako 49m49 minutes agoMore

Think we need to capitalise on a fit and in form Darcy Moore. He took the most kick ins (13) of any player during the #JLTSeries and played on 8 times - 2nd to Hurn’s 9. #SuperCoach#AFL#2019AFLProspectus

14. Likes Elvs1, Bunga liked this post
    Team
    HAWTHORN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was in my side pre-JLT and nothing I’ve seen has changed my mind on him. Steal for that price, just has to last 6 games and you’re good. Anything past that is abound.
    Only ever talking SC

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

He actually needs to score really well to be a success, to be fair I think he can and the DPP makes him even more valuable but he's got to score in the 75+ range to match 55 from normal priced rookies or at the very least put together a month of big scores to spike his price and while I like his JS plenty, his durability kind of cancels that out to a certain extent.

I also think that Howe could hurt his scoring when he's back and flying as he'll be the benefactor of Moore because he's released to be the intercept man and he'll probably take some kick-ins also.

None of that is to diminish him, he's a fine pick and very capable of all the required, possibly even more, and basically if he's a success then he's an on field spot sorted for a while as well. His DPP is super valuable for the flexibility on downgrades/upgrades and I do think he's one of the best on field options which can be worth the premium alone. I'd like to find a way to pick him if I can do it without hurting other areas!

Team
    HAWTHORN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was browsing for options in the Ridley price range and came across a name I havent heard mentioned in any chats - Harry Taylor.

262k, priced at a 48 average. Had a stinker of a year last year battling a host of injuries. Has been on the decline for a few years now, but apparently has had a great preseason and in JLT2 he put up 84/107, accumulating 23 possies and 8 marks. And he looked really good, was moving really well - looked like his old self. He got KOd really early on in JLT1, only played 12% of the game which is a shame, would have liked the extra data point. Still, could be a consideration for people looking for options in the Roberton price range.
    Only ever talking SC

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Taylor's not bad but I can't help but see that he probably fits more in the forward half than the back which tanks his scoring if it happens.

I'm only seeing like a half dozen odd names when I look in the mid price backs.

Smith, Mills, Williams, Milera, Hibberd, Houli, Newman, McGrath and Pittard. Maybe make a case for Burton and Houston. Obviously Roberton if fit also.

I'm not making a case for those but they're the names I look at and my first thought is "dig deeper".

I still think there are a couple of standouts that don't really have a negative other than the injuries that make them cheap so not looking to dig deeper into the other names.

19. Likes Hodges liked this post
    Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dylan Roberton stepping aside from footy for all of 2019. Tough call for the bloke. Feel for him

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-...-entire-season
    Proud coach of Big Jenny Talia FFC
    SC 2013 - 11th
    SC 2014
    - 16th
    SC 2015 and beyond - foetal position

"Yonnies in the wind, we're ruggin' up for winter"

21. Likes Athomas, Crows88 liked this post