GEELONG
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Re: Back Rookies

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sledge #32 View Post
    I think I still want Marchbank in SC, but I am not a believer in Hibberd either.
    Yeah, for me, it really comes down to Nankervis + Marchbank vs Other back rookies + forward premium.

Having Witts on the bench means Nank is disposable it just depends on whether or not Nanks preseason form can translate into the season. If it does, then probably worth holding Marchbank.
    Last edited by Narkee; 23rd March 2017 at 04:19 PM.
    Zach Tuohy my boy for 2017!

2. Likes Big Sledge #32 liked this post
    FFC Agent of Chaos Big Sledge #32's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    577 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Essendon’s number one draft pick Andrew McGrath will make his AFL debut on Saturday night against Hawthorn.

The Bombers secured the former Sandringham Dragon and Brighton Grammar student with the first selection in last November’s National Draft.

McGrath played across half-back during the Bombers three JLT Community Series matches, looking composed throughout.

Coach John Worsfold said he wants the Club’s latest debutant to enjoy the moment.

“We just want him to back himself in and believe in himself,” Worsfold said.

“Your first game is always a massive learning curve. He’s played in the JLT Series but this game will just be so exciting for him.

“We’re not expecting him to be a game breaker, we just want him to get out there and enjoy the experience.”
    http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/20...nveil-top-pick

Again this was expected but nice to get early confirmation.
    Baltimore Ravens Superbowl XLVII Champions
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkee View Post
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

I really like McGrath, Marchbank and Hampton from a scoring and JS point of view but the first two are very expensive and I'm not sure their scoring potential is that much higher.

Going to be interesting to structure for though.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    588 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Last position I'm struggling to make my mind up on.

Otten v McGrath and I'll throw Kelly into the mix as well.

Otten
    Pros:
    - Strong pre season, played the position really well and looked back to his old good self (which I thought was gone). 72 avg over 3 pre season games, 0.77 points per min.
    - Mature aged, body that is ready to go.
    - In the three seasons he's played 11+ games, he's averaged 63.4, 68.5 and 70 so he can be an alright scorer.
    - 70-90k cheaper than Kelly/McGrath.

Cons:
    - Job security. Lever is playing in the SANFL, he'll come back into the team. I'm not sure we can play all four of Talia, Hartigan, Lever and Otten even though I think it would be hard for teams to penetrate into our forward line, we'd probably get killed once the ball hits the ground.
    - Injury prone, 3 knee recos I think?

McGrath
    Pros:
    - Will probably be given a decent run this year given his talent.
    - Really strong scorer in the juniors.

Cons:
    - Struggled to score in the pre season with scores of 49 and 24 going at 0.44 points per min.
    - Probably won't be in a fantasy friendly role which saw him boss it in the juniors.

Kelly
    Pros:
    - Scored well in the pre season with scores of 88, 23 and 78 going at 0.69 points per min.
    - Should be in for Cheney who he has a better chance of keeping out for longer than Otten v Lever (if that's what it is).
    - 22 years old, great tank so he should be AFL ready physically.
    - Played 10 games in 2015 for a 49.8 average, some really low scores but did post a 104 and 96.
    - Outside of Cheney, probably not much threat for his position with Doedee being injured. Structure could still change to move him out, but in terms of a shutdown defender, him and Otten are probably it for the moment.

Cons:
    - From what I've seen of him in 2015, very much a negative player who's main focus was to stop his opponent and also a poor kick himself. To be fair, probably just doing the basics.
    - Whilst he had two 95+ scores, he managed 4 sub 40 scores sin a row before he was dropped.

Personally, I want to pick Otten as I've been really impressed with what I saw of him in the pre season and he also saves me a lot of cash compared to the other two which can be used to give me more options with any side ways trades that need doing. That said, I just don't know how he can remain in, normally he'd be an option as a swingman but with how tall our forward line runs, I doubt he'll be needed there. His pre season form is being rewarded though and if he plays well against GWS, can we justify to drop him? I don't know. McGrath is probably my next option as I'm guessing he starts slow but once he get rolling he might make some cash, 220k is an expensive price tag to pay for someone that's unlikely to be scoring highly though. Kelly I'm just unsure about, probably should be considered a little more but I'm just a bit uncertain at the very moment.

FFC Football Operations Manager Nothing's Avatar
    Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    343 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've gone McGrath because I've been convinced that Otten's job security is tenuous at best.

FFC Assistant Coach TIGERLICIOUS's Avatar
    Team
    RICHMOND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have been pondering the same. As much as I don't want to take him, I think McGrath is the safe play. Neither Otten or Kelly are best 22 in my opinion, so you'll always have that worry each week whether they get selected. McGrath will likely be given an extended run and Essendon will do their best to free him up I would imagine/hope. I've gone with a 2 premium back setup in RDT so that extra JS is key for me.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

McGrath JS is by far the best of that trio, imo, Adelaide have Cheney and Lever to come in for Otten and Kelly. Both those guys feel like the kind of picks that if they can hold their spots in the team will be brilliant but they have to be special to hold their spots in the team.

McGrath should be good, most small defenders will score a decent score or two, think you're looking at a DBJ type last year as a worst case and probably a Heppell as a best case and realistically probably a Mills type of outcome. McGrath is probably a slow burner though, reckon he'll grow with each game and probably be among the last rookies upgraded.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Can McGrath score enough to make money from his price point? not convinced. if its a JS play, then might be better off going up a little to Zak Jones
    TEX WALKER. that is all.

10. Likes Elvs1, Wheedus liked this post
    Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Otten vs Joel Smith is the final question for my teams. Ended up paying the premium for Marchbank so taking a pass on McGrath.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    588 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I've got Smith locked in.

Other thing for myself to consider is moving Darcy Cameron to a cheaper ruck whichc would give me the cash to grab Marchbank should he have another big one.

Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Smith really locked into that team? With a few guys to come back in.

Team
    CARLTON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    485 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really like Smith (I have Smith and Otten on my bench atm but maybe I should switch one to Stewart, hmmm) and I think he's safe in the team while Hibberd is out.

Hopefully that gives him 3-4 weeks to stake his claim.
    AFL Twitter --------------------------- This post is SC related--------------------------Movie Twitter

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As much as I'd love to have Otten I just can't see him staying in the team. Having said that, I couldn't see McGovern staying in the team last year either and look what happened.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

doubt otten will even play if they start with the backline as named. Of the extended bench, you'd expect knight, hampton, and milera to play, and i suspect menzel will probably also make the cut although I'm not sure if he's done enough.
    We talk shit, deliver nothing

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    588 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think the final position is Menzel v Knight and I think Menzel will get selected.