Team
    PORT ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Back Rookies

Quite a few of the ones I posted either dropped off, or didn't get chosen for some reason. I wonder why Newman was left out of Sydney's team?

A Otten put in a decent pre season. Could quite easily see me playing 3 Adelaide defenders (Laird, Hampton, Otten) early.

Rookies all across the ground seem to be very thin this season which is strange considering how good the draft was for this season.

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    334 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hampton, Marchbank, Otten, Vickers-Willis and Stewart are all good chances to play rd 1 and the first three are the best of them. Hibberd only came on for the second half last week for Nth, which suggests that he won't be in their starting 22, despite his good scoring when he came on. Stewart went off early in the last and supposedly was rested but probably need to keep an eye on him to see if he trains this week and even if he's best 22, which is borderline.

3. Likes Notorious_29, Athomas liked this post
    Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good summary divvy, the depth has weakened a bit but I still think starting three can work. In particular as you mentioned I think all of Hampton, Marchbank and Stewart have the capacity to score quite well in good roles.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    589 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I want to select Otten as he's been great, the issue is Lever and Cheney are just about fit so I'm not sure how he holds his position when they're ready to be named without injury to Talia or Hartigan.

6. Likes KickItToButch liked this post
    Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    712 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Nobody touching McGrath?

Team
    CARLTON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pvcyclone View Post
    Nobody touching McGrath?
    Looks clean, but hasn't been racking it up, most expensive rookie and I'm not even sure he's going to get named Round 1?

If named, would make him a unique pick funnily enough.
    AFL Twitter --------------------------- This post is SC related--------------------------Movie Twitter

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    712 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Athomas View Post
    Looks clean, but hasn't been racking it up, most expensive rookie and I'm not even sure he's going to get named Round 1?

If named, would make him a unique pick funnily enough.
    I feel like people are putting a lot of faith in pre-season games for a read on form/scoring.

Take Marchbank v McGrath for example.

Last year Marchbank played 3 NEAFL games for a 67 avg. 2 AFL games for a 45 avg. In 2015 he had 14 NEAFL games for 75 and 5 AFL games for 37.

McGrath albeit in more of a midfield role than is likely this year averaged 120+ DT in the TAC, and had a game where he had 44 disposals and 19 tackles for 212 DT. His U18 champs games were potentially more representative of what his current role will be and he was still at 80+ DT, which is closer to a 100 avg considering the reduced game time.

The way I try and select rookies is to basically pick anyone that has any 'hurt' factor. That is who will hurt me if I don't pick them.
    I feel the way it sits for RDT, given they are both priced over 200k, Marchbank has 0 hurt factor, but McGrath does. That makes him a better pick imo.

SC a little different, although I think both are more suited to SC scoring and both are probably better picks.

Just raising the above for arguments sake, because I think people (ie everybody) may be being a little shortsighted.
    Don't have either ATM in RDT.

10. Likes Bert1, Bunga, Athomas liked this post
    Team
    CARLTON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I think most get caught up in pre-season since we have nothing else to base it on.

Just on Marchbank, 3 of those 5 games in 2015 he was subbed out, and he has two more years in the system than Mcgrath. Also has way better job security IMO.

As for scoring potential though, you may well be right!
    AFL Twitter --------------------------- This post is SC related--------------------------Movie Twitter

Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly I thought one of the bombers boys earlier in the pre-season posted saying he probably wasn't worth the price tag in terms of his likely role this season.

I had him in my considerations right at the start. I guess McGrath is certainly still an option, what would you say his likely role is in the team? Is he going to be on the ball or a wing or starting off a half back type gig?

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    712 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Notorious_29 View Post
    Honestly I thought one of the bombers boys earlier in the pre-season posted saying he probably wasn't worth the price tag in terms of his likely role this season.

I had him in my considerations right at the start. I guess McGrath is certainly still an option, what would you say his likely role is in the team? Is he going to be on the ball or a wing or starting off a half back type gig?
    He's certainly likely to be in defence, at least to start.

Could be playing one of two roles: A defensive small defender type role, which sounds ordinary, but it's the role Baguley has played for years and he's averaged 75+ DT the last three years. Alternatively and hopefully more likely, he'd be playing a similar role to the one Tippa played last season with his run and carry out of the backline.

He's an interesting one. JLT scores obviously not great, but as AT said, he looked clean and his junior numbers suggest he should be a very natural scorer.

14. Likes Notorious_29 liked this post
    Team
    GEELONG
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

If it comes down to it and rookies become sparse I'd pick him if named. He has class and will be given every opportunity if named round 1.
    Zach Tuohy my boy for 2017!

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    589 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

How many back rookies you guys looking to roll with? I've gone 3 premiums with back rookies so hard to no pick on of him/Marchbank with that structure I'm finding.

Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah 3 premos/3 rookies as well currently.

18. Likes Big Sledge #32 liked this post
    Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Two premos, two midpricers and two rookies.

Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    921 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pvcyclone View Post
    I feel like people are putting a lot of faith in pre-season games for a read on form/scoring.

Take Marchbank v McGrath for example.

Last year Marchbank played 3 NEAFL games for a 67 avg. 2 AFL games for a 45 avg. In 2015 he had 14 NEAFL games for 75 and 5 AFL games for 37.

McGrath albeit in more of a midfield role than is likely this year averaged 120+ DT in the TAC, and had a game where he had 44 disposals and 19 tackles for 212 DT. His U18 champs games were potentially more representative of what his current role will be and he was still at 80+ DT, which is closer to a 100 avg considering the reduced game time.

The way I try and select rookies is to basically pick anyone that has any 'hurt' factor. That is who will hurt me if I don't pick them.
    I feel the way it sits for RDT, given they are both priced over 200k, Marchbank has 0 hurt factor, but McGrath does. That makes him a better pick imo.

SC a little different, although I think both are more suited to SC scoring and both are probably better picks.

Just raising the above for arguments sake, because I think people (ie everybody) may be being a little shortsighted.
    Don't have either ATM in RDT.
    Great post pvc.

So few great defender rookie options that I am comfortable starting this year.

I have just bitten the bullet & changed Otten to McGrath just on his scoring ability he showed last year/ seems to have better job security.

So I am running 3 premos/ 3 rookies - Marchbank, McGrath & Hampton. They are about the only 3 I am confident in to score decently each week.
    SC is FFC's number 1 fantasy game

21. Likes Crows88 liked this post