Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Re: Back Rookies

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sledge #32 View Post
    Surprised people are worried by Rozee's JS, Port isn't as strong as they were 2 seasons ago and they are going to need to get games into him. His JS is one of the more attractive qualities he brings at this point.
    I'm not sold.

Mayes will replace Polec I'd expect. Lycett replaces Wingard in the best 22. Burton replaces Pittard.

So essentially he has to force a change in the best 22 and do it by enough that he locks away a spot. Injuries could open the door but who knows. His positive is he can play at either end of the ground but makes it harder to slot him in also for how Port plan to use him.

Way I see their team, give or take.

B - Houston - Top 10 in the B&F, pretty much locked.
    FB - Tom Jonas - 2nd in the B&F, absolute lock.
    B - DBJ - Same as Houston.
    HB - Burton - Paid a lot to get him, have to expect he starts.
    CHB - Howard - Had a really strong season and has to be in play.
    HB - Clurey - Top 10 in the B&F, in a strong position to hold this spot.

W - Mayes - Seems his obvious positional fit, I'm not a huge fan though so figure this spot is in play.
    C - Wines - Injury aside, he's a lock when fit.
    W - Motlop - Wants more midfield time and after a lacklustre season they really do need his speed up the ground.

HF - Gray - Whether we like it or not, they seem obsessed with him up forward.
    CHF - Dixon - Health leaves an opening potentially but he's a lock if remotely fit.
    HF - Boak - Just because he's not captain doesn't mean he's not best 22 still.
    F - Lycett - You don't pay what they have for him to not play.
    FF - Westhoff - B&F, lock him in.
    F - Farrell - Finished the season strongly but this position is in play.

R - Ryder - One of the best in the comp, fitness the only issue.
    RR - Ebert - Clear best 22 player.
    Ro - Powell-Pepper - Big things expected this year.

Int - Rockliff - Locked best 22 guy.
    Int - Watts - Position under threat for sure.
    Int - Hartlett - Not sure where he's at on his recovery but he's probably still best 22 when fit.
    Int - S. Gray - I don't really rate him but has barely missed a game in the last 3 seasons so obviously they do internally.

Now I'd say that Mayes, Farrell, Watts, Hartlett, S. Gray and SPP are probably the guys whose spots are up for grabs but you've got Amon, Atley, Bonner, Broadbent, Lienert and McKenzie all vying for those spots alongside Rozee.

Can absolutely see him in their best 22 but it's hard to see him entrenched barring a massive preseason or a few more injuries. Admittedly Wines does open one spot early on and Dixon could open another but that seems to be the only real injuries at Port right now and Dixon especially is still a good chance at round 1.

Reading their intraclub details, sounds like Rozee played forward (as did Ebert) and that Drew was the pick of the kids outside SPP, he's a cheap F/M so worth keeping an eye on. Marshall was also really good apparently who I haven't mentioned above but is absolutely in the discussion. Also sounds like they plan on Lycett being the #1 ruck and Ryder the forward but that's still 2 spots taken.

Basically I still think JS will be a concern for him, especially as a premium priced rookie.

FWIW Broadbent is not far from being rookie priced either and if he's established in their best 22 then he's got to be considered (270k iirc), even more so if he were back in the backline and taking kick-ins as he has done during his career (I think it will be a committee approach with Houston, Burton, Hartlett and Broadbent all strong options).
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

2. Likes Big Sledge #32 liked this post
    FFC Football Operations Manager KickItToButch's Avatar
    Team
    PORT ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still early days yet, but it's starting to look like I might be starting 4 rookie defenders in SC again this season and using the money elsewhere.

M Hore stood out by the sounds of it in the Dees trial today

4. Likes Hodges liked this post
    FFC Football Operations Manager KickItToButch's Avatar
    Team
    PORT ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wogitalia View Post
    I'm not sold.

Mayes will replace Polec I'd expect. Lycett replaces Wingard in the best 22. Burton replaces Pittard.

So essentially he has to force a change in the best 22 and do it by enough that he locks away a spot. Injuries could open the door but who knows. His positive is he can play at either end of the ground but makes it harder to slot him in also for how Port plan to use him.

Way I see their team, give or take.

B - Houston - Top 10 in the B&F, pretty much locked.
    FB - Tom Jonas - 2nd in the B&F, absolute lock.
    B - DBJ - Same as Houston.
    HB - Burton - Paid a lot to get him, have to expect he starts.
    CHB - Howard - Had a really strong season and has to be in play.
    HB - Clurey - Top 10 in the B&F, in a strong position to hold this spot.

W - Mayes - Seems his obvious positional fit, I'm not a huge fan though so figure this spot is in play.
    C - Wines - Injury aside, he's a lock when fit.
    W - Motlop - Wants more midfield time and after a lacklustre season they really do need his speed up the ground.

HF - Gray - Whether we like it or not, they seem obsessed with him up forward.
    CHF - Dixon - Health leaves an opening potentially but he's a lock if remotely fit.
    HF - Boak - Just because he's not captain doesn't mean he's not best 22 still.
    F - Lycett - You don't pay what they have for him to not play.
    FF - Westhoff - B&F, lock him in.
    F - Farrell - Finished the season strongly but this position is in play.

R - Ryder - One of the best in the comp, fitness the only issue.
    RR - Ebert - Clear best 22 player.
    Ro - Powell-Pepper - Big things expected this year.

Int - Rockliff - Locked best 22 guy.
    Int - Watts - Position under threat for sure.
    Int - Hartlett - Not sure where he's at on his recovery but he's probably still best 22 when fit.
    Int - S. Gray - I don't really rate him but has barely missed a game in the last 3 seasons so obviously they do internally.

Now I'd say that Mayes, Farrell, Watts, Hartlett, S. Gray and SPP are probably the guys whose spots are up for grabs but you've got Amon, Atley, Bonner, Broadbent, Lienert and McKenzie all vying for those spots alongside Rozee.

Can absolutely see him in their best 22 but it's hard to see him entrenched barring a massive preseason or a few more injuries. Admittedly Wines does open one spot early on and Dixon could open another but that seems to be the only real injuries at Port right now and Dixon especially is still a good chance at round 1.

Reading their intraclub details, sounds like Rozee played forward (as did Ebert) and that Drew was the pick of the kids outside SPP, he's a cheap F/M so worth keeping an eye on. Marshall was also really good apparently who I haven't mentioned above but is absolutely in the discussion. Also sounds like they plan on Lycett being the #1 ruck and Ryder the forward but that's still 2 spots taken.

Basically I still think JS will be a concern for him, especially as a premium priced rookie.

FWIW Broadbent is not far from being rookie priced either and if he's established in their best 22 then he's got to be considered (270k iirc), even more so if he were back in the backline and taking kick-ins as he has done during his career (I think it will be a committee approach with Houston, Burton, Hartlett and Broadbent all strong options).
    Ade v Port u23's (if you call it 23's) is on atm. Drew could be a massive chance at some early games if he keeps going about it the he is atm. Looking really good out there. Link to live stream if it's allowed on here - https://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/ne...ows-trial-game. If not please remove.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Drew pretty well regarded, was injured all year last year I believe. Could be the guy who benefits from Wines being out and get a chance to cement a spot early on.

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just looking at the numbers from Syd v GWS. Didn't watch the game so don't know which parts he played but Isaac Cumming must have used his time wisely. 55dt / 49sc from 39%. 14 disp, 6 contested. He's been on the cusp for two years now and has never been able to cement a spot. From memory, his junior numbers were good and was always on a watch list. $173,700 in SC is a little awkward but may be an option if others don't present.

The other notables were Taranto (140/120) and Cogs (147/140). Grain of salt due to Kelly not playing but still impressive. Cogs will be pretty unique this year. $588k in 4% of teams in SC.
    Proud coach of Big Jenny Talia FFC
    SC 2013 - 11th
    SC 2014
    - 16th
    SC 2015 and beyond - foetal position

"Yonnies in the wind, we're ruggin' up for winter"

Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    918 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

@Hodges & @Elvs1 - thoughts on Jack Scrimshaw at 149K/ decent JS?

Think he might be a decent bench option that will score better than Burgess/Collins/McKay.
    SC is FFC's number 1 fantasy game

FFC Football Operations Manager Hodges's Avatar
    Team
    HAWTHORN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I liked the look of him from what little I saw. Great body shape to play that Birchall role, spot there too I would think. Looks a pretty clean ball user as well, I've got him in my side currently.
    Only ever talking SC

10. Likes Elvs1 liked this post
    Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

I liked him in JLT1, will watch JLT2 tomorrow most likely but he does plenty of things right. Very good looking kick and decent composure. They constantly mentioned he's modeled his game after Birchall and you can see it. Defensive stuff will be his question but Hawks don't have a lot of rebounding types down back so he's certainly got a good chance to take a good role I'd have thought.

12. Likes Hodges liked this post
    Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Stephen May suspended for round 1 at the tribunal all but locks in Hore as a starter in Rd 1. Only negative is that we won't be 100% sure he's in best 22 until May comes back in Rd 2.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    586 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Reports are St.Kilda are going to pick up ex Collingwood player in Marsh - if he's named round 1 it would make an interesting option to consider...

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I can't imagine they would play him straight away unless Roberton was going to be out.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Battle and Joyce are both decent options but one will go out for Nathan Brown I imagine so hard to pick either, Joyce more relevant.

Jordan Clark expected to play round one per the Cats website but Zach Tuohy is confirmed out so there will be zero answer on that particular issue which is probably the biggest issue with Clark. Still think you back Clark in as he looks better than any of their other small-mid sized defenders not named Tuohy or Stewart.

Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    918 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

https://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/...likely-starter

GEELONG coach Chris Scott has declared first-round draft selection Jordan Clark a likely starter for the Cats’ season-opening clash with the Magpies.

Scott told SEN the talented young defender was close to cementing his spot in the side after a pair of strong JLT Community Series outings.

He’s got to the point where it would be hard to push him out (of the side),” Scott said.

“It’s less about him having to force his way in, he forced his way into our pre-season team and we decided to play pretty stable teams across those two games and he certainly played well enough.

“The argument could be made he played well enough to hold his spot, but I must say with over a week to go, I’m not in the business of guaranteeing 18-year-olds a round one spot.”

Clark sparkled in his first game in the hoops, amassing 21 touches and nine rebound 50s against the reigning premiers at Leederville Oval before backing that up 11 disposals and six marks in a win over the Bombers.

“He’s been impressive in every way,” Scott said.
    https://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/...likely-starter

SC is FFC's number 1 fantasy game

18. Likes Wogitalia, Athomas liked this post
    Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

The only negative as I mentioned above is that Tuohy is confirmed out for round 1 as well so it could be fools gold if he were to get pushed straight out. Bews is also close and Kolo also to come back in.

He looks so good though, I'd say he already looks better than Bews ever has and he can do everything Kolo does and then some but it's still worth noting.

20. Likes Crows88, Bunga, Hodges liked this post
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    586 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Clark has been one of the more promising rookies from those I've seen so far, think I'll back him in.

Few other thoughts/questions I have on some of the rookies -

Collins - Feel like he's going to be more suited to SC ahead of DT. Given he shines at intercept marks, they're going to be rewarded far more heavily in SC than they will in DT. With Thompson going down, it might hurt his ability to float potentially and see him given more of a lockdown role which I fear will see him battle to score in DT. That said, JS should be strong but wonder if he's really worth paying the premium in DT given the amount of backline rookies that are available.

Marsh - Priced at 207k in DT so probably has the premium rookie price in SC too. I have no idea if he'll walk into the round 1 side or not. If he doesn't then that's an easy non-decision however if he does, worth giving a little bit of consideration?

Ridley - Priced higher than the above two at 270k DT and one that I can't afford unless I cut a ruckman to something cheaper but given I'm looking at starting 3 rookies in the backline, paying the premium might be worth it. Scores of 92/94 and 70/94 in his pre seasons games is a very impressive start and almost worth paying the figure I feel, especially in SC.

Scrimshaw - Started the second game in Tassie on fire before slowing down but showed what he could do I suppose.

Durrsma - Like his agressive attack on the ball and with that, I feel like he might get a string of games and score alrightish with the tackles he'll get.

Burgess - Know SFA about him, haven't seen him play (in no rush to put myself through a game of GC unless it's to watch Adelaide give them a pounding). Scores were pretty terrible in the pre season and seems to be playing in the forward line based off of having 4 shots on goal in each of the 2 games he played. That in itself is a worry given his scores and how non competitive I imagine GC will be yet again.

Hore - Haven't seen him play either but at his price, seems like a go.

22. Likes Wogitalia liked this post