ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    659 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter Poster

2016 Trade + Free Agency Period

It seems like with the bye this has jumped into the limelight and is even overshadowing the finals in some respects. It'd be good to be able to discuss it away from the "Dyson + 3rd rounder" / "steak knives" / "we don't need <25 year old 100 gamer> because we have <19 year old 2 gamer> ready to go" / "they accept it or he'll walk to the PSD" maelstrom on certain other sites.

To get the ball rolling, this is my (surely incomplete) understanding of the rumours at this stage.

Adelaide
    No one linked yet (the club is doing this weird thing by playing footy in September)

Jarrad Lyons is supposedly going to look elsewhere after a disappointing contract offer.

Brisbane Lions
    Linked with Jack Frost who's fallen out of favour at Collingwood; surely a late pick gets that done. Will presumably try to add whatever they can in terms of mature AFL-ready recruits.

Josh Green is perennially linked with a trade.

Carlton

Seems like the likely destination for Caleb Marchbank. Will presumably look to add more 22ish year olds to help re-balance their list.

No one of note linked with a departure at this stage.

Collingwood
    Linked with everyone under the sun, particularly Lin Jong, Will Hoskin-Elliott and Caleb Marchbank. Lacking in top end draft currency so may struggle to bring in too many top end talents.

Travis Cloke is Footscray-bound, Jack Frost potentially heading north. Jarrad Witts may look to leave and a lot of fringe players like Marley Williams may be a little worried about their spots.

Essendon

Linked with Jaeger O'Meara, probably as a very plausible second choice, and bizarrely with Hayden Ballantyne. Links to Eric MacKenzie and Mitch Brown appear to be off the back of a misconstrued John Worsfold interview. The focus will most likely be on trying to disrupt the O'Meara to somewhere else trade by offering more. There have been rumours of trading pick 1 for multiple high picks. Matthew Dea and James Kelly will almost certainly join as delisted free agents as the AFLPA found a legal issue with the AFL's original pronouncement that top ups would need to be drafted.

Michael Hibberd has requested a trade. Melbourne seems the likely destination, although discussion has quietened since the announcement was made. Jayden Laverde is unsigned with St Kilda offering big bucks. From a fanatical Essendon family, he's likely to stay but on better coin than he would otherwise be.

Fremantle
    Perennially linked with Cam McCarthy and Jesse Hogan, Rory Lobb enters the picture this year as well. Expect pick 3 to head east with some combination of tall forwards and/or picks coming back. Brad Hill has also been strongly linked, but with no picks between 3 and 39, expect that one to be done much later.

Hayden Ballantyne and Michael Barlow head a list of good ordinary types who will look for new homes. We could see a flurry of 2nd and 3rd round picks making their way to Fremantle.

Geelong
    Surely a quiet one after last season's efforts. No first round pick and no real rumours around potential moves.

Gold Coast Suns
    Potential disaster here. Jaeger O'Meara is heading to Victoria, most likely Hawthorn or Essendon. Dion Prestia is going to Richmond. David Swallow may leave. Steven May could as well.

They want players back, but does anyone want to go there?

Greater Western Sydney
    No real links to players coming in, so they'll probably get 3 top draft picks and a handful of academy guys instead.

Caleb Marchbank (Carlton or Collingwood), Jack Steele (St Kilda), Rory Lobb (either Perth team), James Stewart, Will Hoskin-Elliott and of course Cam McCarthy have all been linked with a departure, so watch GWS stockpile picks then set themselves up in the draft.

Hawthorn
    Looking to refresh their midfield and cover Roughead and Ceglar, Jaegar O'Meara, Tom Mitchell and Tyrone Vickery appear to be the targets. If they can pull that off given their weak draft position and presumably somewhat tight salary cap, fair play.

Brad Hill wants to head home and Billy Hartung has been linked with a move to Punt Road.

Melbourne
    Seem like the main suitors for Michael Hibberd. With a 2nd round pick the likely trade there, they'll be out of the draft until the 3rd round and may not do much more business.

Jesse Hogan is an annual concern for them, but given his contract status, any trade would have to be a barnstormer.

North Melbourne
    Linked with Michael Barlow and Chris Mayne as they look to straddle the line between refreshing their list and stepping away from the top end of the competition. David Swallow is linked constantly.

After delisting about 1300 games' worth of player, there aren't many rumours about trades out.

Port Adelaide

After landing Ryder and Dixon in the past two trade periods, a greater focus on the draft seems likely here.

Hamish Hartlett has been linked with a trade and if rumours are true, he may come cheap to expedite his departure.

Richmond
    Dion Prestia has nominated the Tigers, and Billy Hartung has been linked as well.

Rumours abound that either Brett Deledio or Jack Riewoldt could be traded for a bit of draft currency. Tyrone Vickery will almost certainly nominate Hawthorn as a free agent; whether the Tigers accept the compensation pick or demand a trade is up in the air.

St Kilda
    Ameet Baines' MO seems to be to try and get the media to link St Kilda to everyone under the sun. Jack Steele seems like it's going to happen, while Jayden Laverde is a chance as well.

Talk about Billy Longer is mixed with many suggesting he'll seek a trade with Hickey ahead of him and Tom Holmes re-signing, but others feel he wants to stay and compete for a spot.

Sydney

Not much in terms of inbound rumours just yet given the whole premiership favourites thing.

Tom Mitchell may well look to leave as the arbitrary removal of COLA takes hold.

West Coast

Plenty of interest in Rory Lobb and may well have a look at Brad Hill also

Eric MacKenzie and free agent Mitch Brown may choose to seek regular game time in the backline at another club.

Western Bulldogs

Travis Cloke is on his way. Other rumours are unlikely.

Lin Jong has toured Collingwood's facilities and could be on his way. Koby Stevens is another rumoured departure.
    Never bet against Tom Rockliff

2. Likes Crows88, Bert1, Crow-mo, dylan123, pvcyclone liked this post
    FFC Agent of Chaos Big Sledge #32's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    561 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: 2016 Trade + Free Agency Period

Deledio has been linked to Geelong via various media. Can't remember which ones and I doubt it happens for cap and compensation reasons.
    Baltimore Ravens Superbowl XLVII Champions
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkee View Post
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    578 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Think Port will really struggle to move Hartlett, big contract in terms of $$$ and years. Not going to get much in return for a club to take on that kind of deal which they wont' be happy with and if they want something semi decent in return, will have to pay a bit of his contract which I doubt they're willing to do.

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I know Hartlett would probably rather stay or go to Victoria, but he's the type of player that GC could potentially attract and one of the few that might easily be able to pay his current contract, which is the whole reason Port are giving Hartlett hints to go. Given the wealth of picks GC is likely to have, their desire for ready made players and Port needing to have a stronger go at the draft, this is the sort of move that could benefit everyone if Hartlett is willing.

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    710 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Koby Stevens and Caleb Marchbank another couple that have been mentioned in regards to interest from Essendon.

Don't really see why we'd have interest in Marchbank. Potentially good player and all, but we've got the position well and truly covered.

FFC Football Operations Manager Nothing's Avatar
    Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    327 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mayne is gone, potentially to NM.
    Zac Clarke an unsigned FA.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    578 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pvcyclone View Post
    Koby Stevens and Caleb Marchbank another couple that have been mentioned in regards to interest from Essendon.

Don't really see why we'd have interest in Marchbank. Potentially good player and all, but we've got the position well and truly covered.
    What would the interest in Stevens for Essendon be? Thought you had a decent amount of big bodied midfielders? Or would it be to play him elsewhere?

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    289 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dylan123 View Post
    Think Port will really struggle to move Hartlett, big contract in terms of $$$ and years. Not going to get much in return for a club to take on that kind of deal which they wont' be happy with and if they want something semi decent in return, will have to pay a bit of his contract which I doubt they're willing to do.
    the difficulty for them is how to make it look like a positive trade and not incompetence.
    TEX WALKER. that is all.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    289 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'd love to see us have a go at E-Mac, reckon we're 1 KPD short on our list. the timing just feels right to maybe lift a heist here.

and a mid. we need a mid, and we need to spend $ and pay in trade currency to make it happen. wonder what sort of conversations Lyons + our 1st might start?
    TEX WALKER. that is all.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    578 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Crow-mo View Post
    I'd love to see us have a go at E-Mac, reckon we're 1 KPD short on our list. the timing just feels right to maybe lift a heist here.

and a mid. we need a mid, and we need to spend $ and pay in trade currency to make it happen. wonder what sort of conversations Lyons + our 1st might start?
    Don't think we'd be too top heavy in the backline with another KPD? Talia, Hartigan, Lever, Cheney at the moment has us with 4 pretty mobile guys. I assume Cheney comes out (although I think he does a reasonable job on the medium sized guys) although it would be a matter of one of those 4 then manning the position Cheney covers.

Mid is our biggest need, prior to this year I was after a classy finisher type but with how Thompson has dropped off, not against someone that can find 30 odd touches a week as our midfield can really struggle to find the ball consistantly now I feel - hopefully that's something the Crouch brothers improve on with another pre season.

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Bucks has confirmed that Collingwood are interested in Ivan Maric who is uncontracted at Richmond. Expect they're looking at him as an experienced back-up for Grundy which lends support to the idea that Witts is likely to leave. Probably also means that Grundy is likely to play as the lone ruck next season, with support from Cox/Gault/White as I can't see Grundy and Maric working as a combination.

Team
    NORTH MELBOURNE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter Poster

Mate of mine saw Cotchin at the Holden centre this arvo. Probably nothing in it though

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    289 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dylan123 View Post
    Don't think we'd be too top heavy in the backline with another KPD? Talia, Hartigan, Lever, Cheney at the moment has us with 4 pretty mobile guys. I assume Cheney comes out (although I think he does a reasonable job on the medium sized guys) although it would be a matter of one of those 4 then manning the position Cheney covers.

Mid is our biggest need, prior to this year I was after a classy finisher type but with how Thompson has dropped off, not against someone that can find 30 odd touches a week as our midfield can really struggle to find the ball consistantly now I feel - hopefully that's something the Crouch brothers improve on with another pre season.
    I'm convinced Lever develops into a key defender, and Cheney if needs be is expendable. we play a team defensive system, and a smart IQ is how to fit in. I can see E-Mac getting back to his best, and soon people asking how they did that happen? how was he surplus after all he had achieved. the answer in real terms is that it was timing, circumstance - his value will never be lower. bringing him in gives us 3 key defensive posts, and I think we need that.

the other thing is that Gold Coast needs another ruckman. Wright isn't much of a ruck backup he's a forward. I wonder if ROB might be of interest to them? they need players. I wonder if we started a conversation with look i've got ROB and Lyons as a starting point, both of these guys could be solid 150-200 game, B quality players for you. that's a lot, and they're ready to play now. we want something good. really good. we can talk draft picks, but that's a serious package of prospects, and we want a mid. Give us Aaron Hall. I think that conversation gets serious. the issue for us, is whether we want ROB to be our lead ruckman next year. we might.

The other deal that dare not speak it's name, the forbidden topic is heartless from port. we do need a mid and he's available do we let pride get in the way?
    TEX WALKER. that is all.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    578 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm convinced Lever develops into a key defender, and Cheney if needs be is expendable. we play a team defensive system, and a smart IQ is how to fit in. I can see E-Mac getting back to his best, and soon people asking how they did that happen? how was he surplus after all he had achieved. the answer in real terms is that it was timing, circumstance - his value will never be lower. bringing him in gives us 3 key defensive posts, and I think we need that.
    If Lever develops into a key defender I think that has us even more too top heavy with potentially 4 - that said, a couple of teams like Geelong have managed to run pretty tall in the backline so I suppose it's about the system and he's the kind of defender you'd work to fit into your side - be interested to see what his worth is/what the asking price is, is McKenzie out of contract?

the other thing is that Gold Coast needs another ruckman. Wright isn't much of a ruck backup he's a forward. I wonder if ROB might be of interest to them? they need players. I wonder if we started a conversation with look i've got ROB and Lyons as a starting point, both of these guys could be solid 150-200 game, B quality players for you. that's a lot, and they're ready to play now. we want something good. really good. we can talk draft picks, but that's a serious package of prospects, and we want a mid. Give us Aaron Hall. I think that conversation gets serious. the issue for us, is whether we want ROB to be our lead ruckman next year. we might.
    Would think a few of the guys on our list that haven't really been able to get a game might have some value, CEY being another. Hall would be another strong target and possibly someone Gold Coast might be looking to move, at least it feels that way.

Not against moving ROB if we're going to stick with Jacobs though as there isn't room for the two of them, also not sure where Jacobs is at, feel he's dropped off a bit this year. On the GC ruck situation, where is Nicholls at/how does everyone rate him? I haven't paid close attention to his ruck work but I find I'm sometimes rather impressed with how he moves around the ground for someone his size, just hasn't seemed to click - not sure if he's mainly missed games due to injury or just being dropped. Think he's out of contract/a chance to go, just feel that on the rare occasion I've paid attention to him, he does some nice things.

The other deal that dare not speak it's name, the forbidden topic is heartless from port. we do need a mid and he's available do we let pride get in the way?
    Is he really a target worth chasing though? Even ignoring his contract price/years on his deal which I think is shocking from the get go. As a player is he really that good/worth chasing? Think he's usually a pretty shit poller in the B&F at Port, hasn't really done much in terms of brownlow votes, has the injury problems as well. Just feels like there's plenty of reasons not to go after him and very few reasons to actually do so.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    578 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Was listening to the radio before tonight's match and they were on the topic of Wells, still out of contract and from what Brayshaw said, he's had a contract offer in front of him for quite some time. To have not taken a deal at this point surely suggests he's considering his options, could be a handy pick up for a finals contender if you can keep him on the field.