Important News


User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 78

Thread: 2016 AFL Draft thread

  1. #46
    Super Moderator divvydan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Posts
    13,781
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Re: 2016 AFL Draft thread

    Nobody was taken in the PSD. Rookie draft in about 45mins.

  2. #47
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Perth
    Team
    FREMANTLE
    Posts
    4,918
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    474 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter PosterFFC Blogger
    Fyfe Award - for outstanding contributions - Outstanding contributions accross the FFC and forwardpress blogs. A huge amount of work completed by Hedge so our thanks go out!!!

    Re: 2016 AFL Draft thread

    Days of the PSD surely numbered now.

    @Big Sledge #32 assuming you submitted 7 and not 6?! We got close this year!

    Thought the draft was a bit strange in that there were no real bolters or sliders. A few went a round or so earlier than predicted but in the context of team's lists, those picks make sense. Personally feel there was a bit of value in Graham @ 53, Cox @ 41 and Hayward @21 but nothing outrageous.
    Anyone
    Anywhere
    Anytime


  3. #48
    Super Moderator divvydan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Posts
    13,781
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Re: 2016 AFL Draft thread

    Rookie draft tracker here http://www.afl.com.au/draft/draft-tracker

    Mzungu joins De Boer at GWS.
    A.Silvagni ends up at Carlton
    Schade to Coll
    Petrie to Eagles
    S.Edwards to Sydney


    Brooksby, S.Shaw, McKernan, Patfull, Prudden, Eades, J.Henry, B.Grey, Gallucci, McInnes were all re-drafted as rookies.

  4. #49
    Super Moderator pvcyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Team
    ESSENDON
    Posts
    8,802
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    710 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

    Re: 2016 AFL Draft thread

    Struggling to understand why a few clubs delisted rookies and then re-rookied them? Fairly sure this happened with at least Loersch at GC and Gallucci at Carlton. Why wouldn't you just re-sign them?

  5. #50
    Super Moderator divvydan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Posts
    13,781
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Re: 2016 AFL Draft thread

    Quote Originally Posted by pvcyclone View Post
    Struggling to understand why a few clubs delisted rookies and then re-rookied them? Fairly sure this happened with at least Loersch at GC and Gallucci at Carlton. Why wouldn't you just re-sign them?
    Yeah, I didn't really understand that one. I get that if you've had them for 3 years or something you have to let them go into the draft but he's only been on for 1 year. Can only think that Carlton were hoping to use the pick on someone else who got taken and felt he was better than what the other options were.

  6. #51
    FFC General Manager Devo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Perth
    Team
    MELBOURNE
    Posts
    7,460
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    465 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: 2016 AFL Draft thread

    Anyone else think it's a bit ludicrous that a guy with 316 games and a AA selection under his belt can be rookie-listed?
    #teamANB

  7. #52
    Super Moderator Bunga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Perth
    Team
    WEST COAST
    Posts
    16,063
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    906 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Re: 2016 AFL Draft thread

    Xavier Richards goes from playing in a Grand final and a two-year contract offer to no home at all.
    SC is FFC's number 1 fantasy game

  8. #53
    Super Moderator Bunga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Perth
    Team
    WEST COAST
    Posts
    16,063
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    906 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Re: 2016 AFL Draft thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Devo View Post
    Anyone else think it's a bit ludicrous that a guy with 316 games and a AA selection under his belt can be rookie-listed?
    Absolutely - there needs to be a change in the rules as to who can be rookie-listed.
    SC is FFC's number 1 fantasy game

  9. Likes Devo liked this post
  10. #54
    FFC Football Operations Manager KickItToButch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Adelaide
    Team
    PORT ADELAIDE
    Posts
    4,935
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: 2016 AFL Draft thread

    Stoked again with our picks. We really have nailed this draft period.




  11. #55
    FFC General Manager Devo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Perth
    Team
    MELBOURNE
    Posts
    7,460
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    465 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: 2016 AFL Draft thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bunga View Post
    Absolutely - there needs to be a change in the rules as to who can be rookie-listed.
    There used to be age restrictions on access to the rookie list, but these were lifted so that mature-aged players could be drafted. I think was the intent was to create a place for the likes of Michael Barlow in his VFL days, not the Drew Petrie sort of mature age player. Probably time to put an age or experience restriction back on to the rookie list and force players of Petrie's ilk to be picked up as a delisted FA and have them take up a senior list spot. If he's going to be more of an assistant coach than a player, then hire him as an assistant coach rather than this rookie list charade.

    Not potting West Coast, they were savvy enough to exploit the current rules.
    #teamANB

  12. Likes Bunga liked this post
  13. #56
    Super Moderator pvcyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Team
    ESSENDON
    Posts
    8,802
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    710 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

    Re: 2016 AFL Draft thread

    In terms of the actual draft, bit of a crap year for mature age players, which is probably not that surprising with the strong depth of the 18 year olds available.

    From the National Draft we had Luke Ryan (), Mitch Hannan (who I think starts VFL, but if he plays worth picking), Willie Rioli (good chance), Tom Stewart (KPD, maybe but tough to get games at Geelong), Ryan Abbott (depth ruck) and Timm House (depth KPF).

    From the rookie draft:

    Brett Eddy from Port would be a very likely fantasy pick. 27 y.o KPF. Has won the SANFL goal-kicking the last 2 years.

    Robbie Fox a medium defender drafted by Sydney. To me the positive there is that they are probably looking for another mature ager down back which may mean they are FINALLY ready to play Nick Newman. I'd settle for one of Newman or Fox for regular games.

    The other mature agers drafted for the first time are pretty much all talls: Keilty (KPD), McInerney (ruck), Tim Smith (KPF) and Marshall (all over, but mostly ruck or KPD). That said Smith could be reasonable as a fantasy selection at the Dees with games. Marshall scores v well for a tall in the 2s, but not sure how he gets a game at this stage. McInerney is developing and Keilty could also be worth picking if he gets a game. But none will be massive scorers.

    No mature age midfielders selected whatsoever.

    To me says 2017 fantasy structure is likely to be defender/forward rookie heavy and stack the mids (largely) with premiums.

    Biggest pick today from a fantasy perspective was probably Jake Barrett to Bris. Guy has big time fantasy potential.

    plus assorted 18 y.o players from the national draft. Berry, Long and Powell-Pepper (maybe Graham) I like from cheap guys, plus Brodie and Bowes from the expensive guys. Yet to decide if McGrath/Ainsworth will be worth the cash.

    Likely fantasy rookie picks I'd have at this stage:

    DEF: Ryan, hoping one of Newman/Fox/Leonardis, Berry
    MID: Bowes/Brodie, Barrett, Powell-Pepper
    FWD: McCarthy (depending on price), Pickett, Eddy, maybe Rioli and/or Long.

  14. #57
    Super Moderator divvydan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Posts
    13,781
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Re: 2016 AFL Draft thread

    For me the solution is fairly straight forward.

    Step 1: Remove Rookie List
    Step 2: Remove Pre-season and Rookie Drafts
    Step 3: National Draft proceeds as it currently does with any player who is out of contract (either by choice or not) able to nominate and if they wish, to specify a contract.
    Step 4: Start National Draft a little bit earlier on as there will now be 120 odd selections as opposed to 65-70.

    Optional: Mandatory 2 year contracts for new draftees in the first 4 or 5 rounds and for any new draftee from interstate. Players previously on AFL list can be taken with min 1 year contract if no contract specified.
    Optional: Introduce pick trading. This is certainly quite a bit more complicated and I don't know enough about how to make it work in real time to ensure that it works smoothly and doesn't drag the overall draft length on.

  15. Likes Devo liked this post
  16. #58
    Super Moderator Bunga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Perth
    Team
    WEST COAST
    Posts
    16,063
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    906 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Re: 2016 AFL Draft thread

    Awesome work @pvcyclone - just on Powell-Pepper, he may get fwd/mid status. Spend as much time on a fwd flank as he did playing in the middle.

    Has a very AFL ready body, 187cms/90 kgs. Reckon he could have an immediate impact for the Power next year.
    SC is FFC's number 1 fantasy game

  17. #59
    FFC Football Operations Manager KickItToButch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Adelaide
    Team
    PORT ADELAIDE
    Posts
    4,935
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: 2016 AFL Draft thread

    Quote Originally Posted by pvcyclone View Post
    In terms of the actual draft, bit of a crap year for mature age players, which is probably not that surprising with the strong depth of the 18 year olds available.

    From the National Draft we had Luke Ryan (), Mitch Hannan (who I think starts VFL, but if he plays worth picking), Willie Rioli (good chance), Tom Stewart (KPD, maybe but tough to get games at Geelong), Ryan Abbott (depth ruck) and Timm House (depth KPF).

    From the rookie draft:

    Brett Eddy from Port would be a very likely fantasy pick. 27 y.o KPF. Has won the SANFL goal-kicking the last 2 years.

    Robbie Fox a medium defender drafted by Sydney. To me the positive there is that they are probably looking for another mature ager down back which may mean they are FINALLY ready to play Nick Newman. I'd settle for one of Newman or Fox for regular games.

    The other mature agers drafted for the first time are pretty much all talls: Keilty (KPD), McInerney (ruck), Tim Smith (KPF) and Marshall (all over, but mostly ruck or KPD). That said Smith could be reasonable as a fantasy selection at the Dees with games. Marshall scores v well for a tall in the 2s, but not sure how he gets a game at this stage. McInerney is developing and Keilty could also be worth picking if he gets a game. But none will be massive scorers.

    No mature age midfielders selected whatsoever.

    To me says 2017 fantasy structure is likely to be defender/forward rookie heavy and stack the mids (largely) with premiums.

    Biggest pick today from a fantasy perspective was probably Jake Barrett to Bris. Guy has big time fantasy potential.

    plus assorted 18 y.o players from the national draft. Berry, Long and Powell-Pepper (maybe Graham) I like from cheap guys, plus Brodie and Bowes from the expensive guys. Yet to decide if McGrath/Ainsworth will be worth the cash.

    Likely fantasy rookie picks I'd have at this stage:

    DEF: Ryan, hoping one of Newman/Fox/Leonardis, Berry
    MID: Bowes/Brodie, Barrett, Powell-Pepper
    FWD: McCarthy (depending on price), Pickett, Eddy, maybe Rioli and/or Long.
    Eddy has only won the goal kicking medal once, he was runner the other time.

    Marshall will probably won't play any games in 2017 with the addition of Eddy.




  18. #60
    FFC Football Operations Manager KickItToButch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Adelaide
    Team
    PORT ADELAIDE
    Posts
    4,935
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: 2016 AFL Draft thread

    On Powell Pepper, if he gets FWD/MID or any type of DPP surely he'll become a lock. I can see him being in the 22 come rnd 1.

    Also can someone try and fix this spacebar issue... It's starting to get really annoying.




Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •