Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: All Australian 2016 - Mid Season

The thing is if Talia can't make it this year I don't see how he ever will.

He actively addressed the number 1 and 2 criticisms leveled at him. The fact that he doesn't win enough of the ball and the quality of said disposal.

Compared to his 2015 he averages

5.4 disposals more per game (16.0 compared to 10.6)
    2.3 marks more per game (6.0 up from 3.7)
    3.5 more one percenters per game (8.9 from 5.4)

All the while lifting his disposal efficiency to 80% from 71%. Which is very serviceable given that defenders tend to average higher DE%. Rance goes at about 86% for comparison and McGovern 80% as well.

He's transformed from a guy in the Glass/Presti archetype into a guy who is willing to get actively involved in the play and can be trusted to hit a target with that disposal. None of this was said about him for the previous seasons that he has played.

He'll get overlooked, he always does. But he has actively improved his game in a considerable way.
    Baltimore Ravens Superbowl XLVII Champions
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkee View Post
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    674 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter Poster

Quote Originally Posted by hendo8888 View Post
    I'm obviously fairly biased, but I find it hard to believe that Rory Laird won't make the team.
    Laird makes it on a per game basis, but he did miss what felt like about 26 weeks.
    Never bet against Tom Rockliff

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Ben the Gooner View Post
    Laird makes it on a per game basis, but he did miss what felt like about 26 weeks.
    It was only 5 weeks, but that's a quarter of the season and I reckon there is a real case for all the other squad members over him on a per game basis without factoring in that they played the full season. Like I can't put Laird ahead of Docherty or Shaw under any circumstance and I think I'd probably have him behind Simpson, Boyd and Enright as well. As good as his season was this was an unheard season for small defenders.

And then you have Rampe who's the only 3rd tall defender type in the squad and probably takes a small defender spot given that there seems to be a real push to squeeze both Gov and Tarrant in as well as Rance.

It's probably directly related that there are almost no small forwards in the squad when you've got 6 guys who had elite small defender seasons and Pittard as well in the squad and then you've got Nick Smith (back to his best defensively this year) and Zac Williams among others not even in the squad.

This is probably the year of the small defender, I can't recall there ever being such a strong group.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    924 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Reporters forwards named :-

Marcus Bontempelli (Western Bulldogs)
    In the only position under debate, Bontempelli's ability to average a goal a game as a midfielder and even play as a tall forward when needed got him the nod. Dustin Martin was seen as a good fit here, while Toby Greene was pushed very hard.

Tom Lynch (Gold Coast)
    Locked in as the centre half-forward and moved on. Certain to earn his first All Australian selection after kicking 66 goals (equal No.3 in the AFL) in a struggling team. No.1 in the AFL for contested marks (2.8 a game).

Cyril Rioli (Hawthorn)
    Back-to-back All Australian selections beckon after 44 goals in 19 games. His 120 tackles were more than any small forward and his ability to stand up in big moments outstanding.

Eddie Betts (Adelaide)
    A marking and crumbing marvel for the past two years, Betts ranked equal No.3 for goals (66) and will again challenge for goal of the year. A vital cog in the best forward line in the competition.

Josh Kennedy (West Coast)
    Another lock after winning the Coleman Medal for the second straight year with 80 goals. Played every game, took his chances in front of goal and was No.1 for marks inside 50. Finished the year with back-to-back bags of five goals against Hawthorn and Adelaide.

Lance Franklin (Sydney Swans)
    Second in the AFL for goals (74.49), Franklin adapted his game in 2016 and spent more time roaming outside 50, lifting his disposal average to a four-year high (17.64). Appears to be peaking for finals.
    SC is FFC's number 1 fantasy game

Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    924 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Luke Parker (Sydney Swans)
    Every reporter bar one wanted Parker in the team but most selected him on the interchange. Kicked 21 goals and averaged 28 disposals, making him a strong contender for his first All Australian selection.

Dustin Martin (Richmond)
    Another player nearly unanimously selected, but mostly on the interchange. Martin's ball-winning (No.4 in the AFL with 31 disposals a game) made him a standout for the battling Tigers. Ranked No.5 for inside 50s but also pushed but to help an often under-siege defence.

Joel Selwood (Geelong)
    Selwood enjoyed a return to his outstanding best to rank top 10 in all of total contested possessions (13.4 a game), clearances (6.5) and inside 50s (4.6). A great leader and this team's nominal captain.

Lachie Neale (Fremantle)
    The leading possession-winner in the AFL (33.5 a game) was considered unlucky by some not to be selected on the ball. His contested ball (16.3) and clearance (7.3) strength was also top five in the competition, but the bench was seen as his best fit by most in a super year.
    SC is FFC's number 1 fantasy game

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    674 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Wogitalia View Post
    It was only 5 weeks, but that's a quarter of the season and I reckon there is a real case for all the other squad members over him on a per game basis without factoring in that they played the full season. Like I can't put Laird ahead of Docherty or Shaw under any circumstance and I think I'd probably have him behind Simpson, Boyd and Enright as well. As good as his season was this was an unheard season for small defenders.

And then you have Rampe who's the only 3rd tall defender type in the squad and probably takes a small defender spot given that there seems to be a real push to squeeze both Gov and Tarrant in as well as Rance.

It's probably directly related that there are almost no small forwards in the squad when you've got 6 guys who had elite small defender seasons and Pittard as well in the squad and then you've got Nick Smith (back to his best defensively this year) and Zac Williams among others not even in the squad.

This is probably the year of the small defender, I can't recall there ever being such a strong group.
    It's not a bad shout, there's been some really strong performances this year. The 5 weeks dragged out as an owner in both comps haha.
    Never bet against Tom Rockliff

Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jesus, how did Neale miss out.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Notorious_29 View Post
    Jesus, how did Neale miss out.
    Basically got shafted so they could stick Greene on a flank and Boyd on the bench. Very unlucky imo. I think he's probably had a better season than anyone but Danger that made the team but ultimately he's getting punished because his team was crap.

Hearing Ling try and stutter through why they didn't pick him was hilarious though.

Actually the AA was basically great unintentional humour throughout just because it's one of the all time greatest collection of morons you'll ever see. When Glen Jackovich has legitimate claims to being the smartest guy on a panel you know it's a pretty special group.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

9. Likes Notorious_29, Bunga liked this post
    FFC Agent of Chaos Big Sledge #32's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I was impressed with the midfield group that they picked. I don't think I had Neale in my AA 22 and I don't think I could kick out one of the midfielders that was named for him.

He had a very good year though.
    Baltimore Ravens Superbowl XLVII Champions
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkee View Post
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)