SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

All Australian 2016 - Mid Season

I'm bored at work so figured I'd put together my AA squad at the halfway point and then pick the team

The Squad

40 players with an attempt at some kind of positional balance but no set requirements on each level.

Rucks

Max Gawn - Has been a dominant force. Easy member of the squad.

Todd Goldstein - The standard he has set over the past several years is incredible, he's a bit down on last year but still absolutely in the discussion for the best in the game.

Nic Naitanui - The 3rd guy setting the standard for the position, has been exceptional this year and really is the barometer for the Eagles.

Forwards

Josh J Kennedy - Eagles spearhead has been great so far, needs to produce more against the top sides though as he is the personification of the Eagles flat track bully habits so far this year.

Lance Franklin - Leading the way for goals and playing as well as he has in years. Has been exceptional.

Tom J Lynch - To do what he has done at the Suns with such an ordinary supporting cast is a true credit to him. Has been outstanding.

Jarrad Waite - Has faded over the past few weeks but was one of the top forwards over the first 6 or 7 weeks.

Jesse Hogan - Has been the spearhead at the front of the Demons resurgence this year. His work up and down the ground is top notch.

Eddie Betts - Remains the pinnacle of small forwards in the league. Is the only small forward really up there on the goals list this year.

Luke Breust - Has scored mostly in bags but has been a very consistent threat, to me he remains the underrated member of the Hawks 3 smalls but also consistently the best and most productive of the 3.

Cyril Rioli - Has been top notch with his pressure work and goal kicking. He still remains overrated in my eyes but that doesn't stop him being an outstanding player and it's not his fault that Bruce insists on ruining him.

Nick Riewoldt - Playing higher up the ground this year but he's been absurdly good and seems to be healthier than he has been for years.

Dayne Zorko - Has been top notch for Brisbane and clearly their best player.

Luke Dahlhaus - Also been outstanding and while he's playing higher than ever he's still super dangerous going forward.

Next Up: Jack Gunston, Steve Johnson, Tom T Lynch, Josh Jenkins, Isaac Heeney, Paul Puopolo, Jeremy Cameron and Jack Riewoldt.

Backs

Daniel Talia - Has been as good as ever, maybe better.

Sam Docherty - Has been simply outstanding down back for the Blues.

Kade Simpson - Hasn't been far behind him.

James Kelly - Has turned back the clock, arguably having his finest season for the Bombers and really helping add a bit of composure to a very young team.

Corey Enright - He remains a star down back, just constantly takes a great player and nullifies them while providing outstanding rebound and composure down back.

Heath Shaw - He has taken it to another level, there is a genuine case he's playing back pocket at a level it has never been done before right now.

Josh Gibson - Remains a star for the Hawks down back.

Jasper Pittard - Has been consistently good in a team that has been about as inconsistent as any team ever has.

Alex Rance - Has been very solid this year, similar to Cyril, him being very overrated doesn't mean he isn't a great player.

Heath Grundy - Having his best season of his career by a clear margin and has been the top dog down back for one of the leagues best defenses.

Matthew Boyd - The constant down back for the Dogs alongside Dale Morris where despite all the injuries they still have the best backline in the league. Gets the nod over Morris because he provides more with the ball in hand and has been shutdown on his man also.

Next Up: Dane Rampe, Brad Sheppard, Neville Jetta, Dale Morris, Rory Laird, Phil Davis, Jimmy Bartel, Shane Savage, Robbie Tarrant, Jeremy McGovern, Nick Smith, Zach Tuohy, Grant Birchall, Nathan Wilson, Bernie Vince and Easton Wood.

Mids

Rory Sloane - Has stepped up this year and been the best at the Crows.

Bryce Gibbs - Is having a monster bounce back season for the Blues and is the man at the front leading the charge.

Scott Pendlebury - Survived a bit of back pocket failure and has bounced back to his best. Still a flat out elite midfielder.

Adam Treloar - Has gone from strength to strength for the Pies this year, outstanding addition.

Steele Sidebottom - Has been outstanding since returning from suspension.

David Zaharakis - Has finally taken the next step in his career after several years of just meandering through and it's been great to see.

Lachie Neale - The shining light for a terrible season, has been among the games best midfielders.

Patrick Dangerfield - Shocking right?

Joel Selwood - Has faded the past few weeks but still an outstanding season to date.

Callan Ward - Remains the top midfielder at the Giants but he sure isn't lacking challengers.

Dylan Shiel - Just wins this spot over a bunch of teammates that will be in the next up group.

Sam Mitchell - Has really faded the past month also but his start was absurd.

Luke Parker - Has been massive for Sydney, another of the guys who has faded a bit the past month.

Daniel Hannebery - Has been the Swans most consistently good midfielder, is absolutely elite by hand.

Andrew Gaff - Prior to getting KO'ed and missing a game he'd been close to the top outside midfielder in the game.

Next Up: Patrick Cripps, Zach Merrett, Gary Ablett, Aaron Hall, Stephen Coniglio, Tom Scully, Josh Kelly, Jack Viney, Jack Ziebell, Robbie Gray, Dustin Martin, Josh P. Kennedy, Tom Mitchell, Kieren Jack, Jack Steven, Luke Shuey and Matt Priddis.

The Team

BP - Heath Shaw - This is obvious, it's the easiest selection in the team by a country mile.

FB - Daniel Talia - Pretty much hasn't been beaten all year and has been better on the rebound and intercept front as well, slowly becoming the complete package rather than just the best one on one defender in the game.

BP - Sam Docherty - Another guy who is finding that balance, wins contests one on one is one of the best help defenders going around and is in the absolute elite on the rebound.

HBF - Josh Gibson - He's the best 3rd man up in the league and has been better than ever on the rebound.

CHB - Heath Grundy - He's edged Rance basically because he hasn't missed a game. Rarely beaten and his ability to mark instead of spoil and excellent ball use make him more than just a defender.

HBF - James Kelly - Just can't understate how well he has played this year under constant assault with nothing but kids around him (Gwilt isn't a kid but he has less game sense than most of them...) and he's been outstanding in my eyes. How much better would the Cats look with him in place of that Ruggles, Bews, etc revolving door down back...

W - Bryce Gibbs - This is selling him short, he's been much more than a wingman this year and has provided genuine grunt for the Blues but he's still at his best with ball in hand and half a second to find a target and hit it lace out.

C - Patrick Dangerfield - The ultimate centreman with his marking ability making him an extra KP target around the ground and his ground work in the absolute elite.

W - Daniel Hannebery - Is almost the opposite of Gibbs, he's a genuine wingman who does his best work in tight, his hands this year have gone to the absolutely elite level of the game and his kicking has been improved as well. Playing the game at a level that few ever have.

HFF - Luke Dahlhaus - Is the ultimate modern HFF, elite in clearance work and pressure acts and just as dangerous around goal or getting over the back towards it.

CHF - Lance Franklin - Probably the 2nd easiest selection in the team, has managed to make the 50m arc meaningless with his ability to create scores in the 75-90m range for the Swans and is kicking 4 goals a game while marking the ball better than he has in close to a decade.

HFF - Nick Riewoldt - Is moving between CHF, HFF and wing with ease and just abusing the matchup problems that creates, there isn't a wingman that can mark with him (there aren't many that can run with him for that matter), there aren't any defenders who can run with him, he's just been a total weapon and it's absolutely great to see a guy who looked done a couple of years ago moving how he is.

FP - Eddie Betts - The other super easy selection, I don't think he's been as good as last year so far but he's still the elite small forward with everyone else clamouring for membership in his club.

FF - Josh J. Kennedy - This was super close... Kennedy doesn't kick nearly enough goals in the big games but he's a reason they destroy the weaker sides and it's not like he's been awful against the top sides. Lynch is the runner up here who I reckon has just as good a case, if not better, ultimately JJK has kicked more goals and that's the job and, yes, their teams are a major reason for that.

FP - Dayne Zorko - Really he plays as a HFF/Midfielder but he has to be on the field and you could flip him and Roo and it makes no difference, he deserves the spot.

R - Todd Goldstein - He's dropped a notch to allow the other two squad members into his league but he's still the top dog, he won the matchup with Gawn in their head to head (in a split decision) and as good as NicNat has been so far I can't escape the fact that Kurt Tippett and Stefan Martin are the only decent ruckmen he has faced, heck he's faced Trengove, Barlow and Vickery in 3 of his games and in the end Goldy has faced better competition and been at least as good.

RR - Lachie Neale - His crap team isn't his fault, in fact he's about the only reason they've been somewhat respectable and he deserves recognition for how difficult it is to be consistently great in a woeful team with no ruckman or other midfielders that would get a game at most teams.

Rov - Scott Pendlebury - I've forgiven him for his coach being a muppet and trying to expose his only weakness (apparently he's an awful defender and we now know that) but he's been flat out elite since moving back into the midfield and to be fair to him he was an elite offensive defender while he was rotting down back as well.

Int - Callan Ward - Has been at his physical best all season and leading from the front.

Int - Sam Mitchell - Kind of has to be in the team after his start.

Int - Luke Parker - Versatility is what gets him the nod over a few others, that and his exceptional start.

Int - Joel Selwood - I guess I've gone the all fading bench with the last 3, deserves to be in the team but looks like he needs a rest.

As always, I don't pick 2 rucks because so few teams do it, if I was picking a genuine 2nd ruck/forward then Jenkins or Tippett would make my squad and team. Also haven't bothered going with more forwards or backs on the bench because 3 KP guys is enough in a team and Mitchell is proven off a HBF and Parker is proven on a HFF anyway. Breust was my next small forward and Boyd was the guy down back if you wanted to ditch a midfielder.

I've probably completely forgotten a few guys, I am pretending to work while doing this after all
    Last edited by Wogitalia; 1st June 2016 at 03:40 PM.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

2. Likes pvcyclone, Bunga liked this post
    FFC Agent of Chaos Big Sledge #32's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: All Australian 2016 - Mid Season

Betts kicking 5 on Shaw really reminded everyone of how good he is. He hadn't been getting the goals until now, but he had still been a consistent presence for assists. Him and Talia are the only Crows really pushing atm since Laird is MIA.

I'm honestly not sure if I'd have Selwood in my team. Probably go with Shiel in his place.

Genuinely stunned that you didn't include GCS Tom Lynch. He's been the second best forward this season for mine (behind Buddy) and I would have him in there over JJK. I agree with most of the rest I imagine.

Tippett would be genuinely considered if they/you wanted a second ruck. Jenkins would not.
    Baltimore Ravens Superbowl XLVII Champions
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkee View Post
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos

Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    924 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Excellent work Wogi, most of that team is exactly what I would have with a few exceptions.

In every swans game I have seen so far, Dane Rampe has been outstanding - certain AA for me at this point. Kelly's numbers stack up well & he has been great, however I haven't seen the bombers as much as the swans so not as high on him as I am Rampe.

Adam Treloar is fourth in the AFL for possessions, averaging 30.9 a game, and also leads the Pies in clearances, tackles, inside 50s and goal assists (equal-second in the AFL) - in my AA team for sure right now.

Ziebell, Steven, Merrett, Wood & Shuey have been very good so far - very close to AA.

My current team would be :-

B: Josh Gibson - Daniel Talia - Dane Rampe

HB: Sam Docherty - Heath Grundy - Heath Shaw

C: Adam Treloar - Patrick Dangerfield- Daniel Hannebery

HF: Nick Riewoldt - Lance Franklin - Luke Dahlhaus

F: Eddie Betts - - Josh Kennedy - Dayne Zorko

R: Todd Goldstein - Scott Pendlebury - Lachie Neale

I: Bryce Gibbs - Tom Lynch - Dylan Shiel - Sam Mitchell
    SC is FFC's number 1 fantasy game

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sledge #32 View Post
    Betts kicking 5 on Shaw really reminded everyone of how good he is. He hadn't been getting the goals until now, but he had still been a consistent presence for assists. Him and Talia are the only Crows really pushing atm since Laird is MIA.

I'm honestly not sure if I'd have Selwood in my team. Probably go with Shiel in his place.

Genuinely stunned that you didn't include GCS Tom Lynch. He's been the second best forward this season for mine (behind Buddy) and I would have him in there over JJK. I agree with most of the rest I imagine.

Tippett would be genuinely considered if they/you wanted a second ruck. Jenkins would not.
    Lynch was very close but he has faded noticeably over the last month or so and I went with the easy tiebreaker of goals. It's splitting hairs though, JJK or Lynch are 2a and 2b behind Buddy, imo.

Think Sloane has been good enough for the squad but he's the 40th picked give or take! Laird only missed because of the injury. Your own Lynch was squad worthy but not close to the team (would be competing with Riewoldt and losing!). Thompson has also been pretty good in my eyes despite his tendency to butcher it a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunga View Post
    Excellent work Wogi, most of that team is exactly what I would have with a few exceptions.

In every swans game I have seen so far, Dane Rampe has been outstanding - certain AA for me at this point. Kelly's numbers stack up well & he has been great, however I haven't seen the bombers as much as the swans so not as high on him as I am Rampe.

Adam Treloar is fourth in the AFL for possessions, averaging 30.9 a game, and also leads the Pies in clearances, tackles, inside 50s and goal assists (equal-second in the AFL) - in my AA team for sure right now.

Ziebell, Steven, Merrett, Wood & Shuey have been very good so far - very close to AA.

My current team would be :-

B: Josh Gibson - Daniel Talia - Dane Rampe

HB: Sam Docherty - Heath Grundy - Heath Shaw

C: Adam Treloar - Patrick Dangerfield- Daniel Hannebery

HF: Nick Riewoldt - Lance Franklin - Luke Dahlhaus

F: Eddie Betts - - Josh Kennedy - Dayne Zorko

R: Todd Goldstein - Scott Pendlebury - Lachie Neale

I: Bryce Gibbs - Tom Lynch - Dylan Shiel - Sam Mitchell
    Rampe was very close, ultimately I had one spot for a 3rd tall and I took Gibson by a hair for it. He's been awesome (really all the Swans defenders have been very good this year, Smith has probably reclaimed his spot as the best small defender but he's not far enough ahead of the guys I picked to make up for being a zero on the offensive side). Treloar was very close, the last midfielder spot was an absolute crap shoot for me with Shiel, Treloar and Zaka all very deserving, went with Selwood because he's had a couple of genuinely match winning efforts, the others have been more consistent though.

Picking the defenders was seriously hard. I think you can make a comparable argument for Rampe, Wood and Shep as the HBFs over not just the guys I picked but the rest of my squad as well. It's basically Shaw, daylight, Doch, daylight and a horde of deserving guys for the small defenders. The KP guys might be even harder, Rance has probably been the best but missed two games and it's pretty wide open for the 4th name (I'd probably take Tarrant right now, it was Phil Davis before injury struck him again!). Mids I think you've got several that are easy picks right now but the rest get seriously hard. Forwards are only difficult if you drag guys like Martin (who was ordinary until released into the midfield) or Parker/Kennedy who've spent a lot of time forward into the mix, which I tried not to as much as possible, otherwise the forwards for mine are basically Lynch vs Kennedy.

Rucks are also seriously hard especially given there are only 3 that you have to separate!
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    712 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Very good side put up Wogi.

Personally wouldn't pick Jelwood. Also think we may have fairly different opinions of James Kelly.

Think if anyone was going to make it at Ess (not saying anyone should) it should be Zaka, though that will be very tough in the midfield group.

Otherwise side looks excellent.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wogitalia View Post
    Think Sloane has been good enough for the squad but he's the 40th picked give or take! Laird only missed because of the injury. Your own Lynch was squad worthy but not close to the team (would be competing with Riewoldt and losing!). Thompson has also been pretty good in my eyes despite his tendency to butcher it a bit.
    Agree with a lot of this. I've said it for years that our Tom Lynch is a poor man's Nick Riewoldt, which I've always said as a compliment. I imagine he's doing very well in our B&F, but don't think he has the clout for the squad unless people get their Lynch's mixed up.

I would have pushed for Thommo if it was the first month or so. He was looking very tired vs the Dogs & Cats, but has bounced back over the last fortnight. Not squad worthy, but having a very nice year given his age.

I also would probably find a spot for Rampe in my 22 now that @Bunga reminds me.
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The selection panel consists of Gillon McLachlan, Kevin Bartlett, Luke Darcy, Mark Evans, Danny Frawley, Glen Jakovich, Cameron Ling, Matthew Richardson and Warren Tredrea.

Full squad:

E.Betts, J.Jenkins, R.Laird, T.Lynch, R.Sloane, D.Talia, S.Docherty, K.Simpson, S.Pendlebury, A.Treloar, L.Neale, P.Dangerfield, C.Enright, J.Selwood, T.Lynch, S.Coniglio, T.Greene, T.Scully, H.Shaw, C.Ward, J.Gunston, S.Mitchell, C.Rioli, M.Gawn, R.Tarrant, J.Pittard, D.Martin, A.Rance, J.Steven, L.Franklin, D.Hannebery, J.Kennedy, L.Parker, D.Rampe, A.Gaff, J.Kennedy, J.McGovern, L.Shuey, M.Bontempelli, MBoyd.

Shocked that Zerrett wasn't named. Sub him in for Gaff off the top of my head.
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    712 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

yeah Gaff is very questionable when Zerrett and Cripps (#1 for clearances) missed out. Would have both of those two also ahead of Ward or Steven personally.

Zorko and NRoo also v stiff.

Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    924 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Merrett averaged over 30 touches a week, he is the youngest ever player to have 650 possessions in a season - to be not even named in the squad is perplexing. I would have him over Greene personally.Below is why Gaff is in, I wasn't sure is he would make it this year, understand others surprise :-

SC is FFC's number 1 fantasy game

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The reason I said Gaff is because he basically had the middle of his year ruined by Jonas. He finished very strong, but the likes of Zerrett were consistently great all year.

I know it was only against Brisbane but I'm shocked that Riewoldt doesn't make it and Adelaide's Tom Lynch did.
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The small/mid defender slot looks jam packed this season. Simpson, Docherty, Laird, Enright, Pittard, Shaw & Rampe all named in the squad.
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos

Team
    MELBOURNE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    466 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gaff is the most questionable one and maybe Jack Steven, but hard to argue with the rest.

Shout out to Max Gawn, I'm so glad to see him overcome his knees and destroy worlds this year. Big up also to Rory Laird who made the squad, despite missing 5 games. He was great in the 17 he did play.
    #teamANB

14. Likes Hodges liked this post
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Gawn is the only named ruck as well. So there won't be a surprise switcharoo on AA night robbing him which has happened in the past in the ruck position.
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Broken Tackle = Dusty's don't argue!
    Proud coach of Big Jenny Talia FFC
    SC 2013 - 11th
    SC 2014
    - 16th
    SC 2015 and beyond - foetal position

"Yonnies in the wind, we're ruggin' up for winter"

Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol at the Walters out on the full record.

Merrett Stiff, also Zorko. Otherwise looks pretty good, maybe Grundy as well as they usually puck at least 2 ruckman in the 40.

Has Scully really been that good this year?