Important News

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rd 10 Trades (Operation get Jack Steven)

Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rd 10 Trades (Operation get Jack Steven)

Thought I'd start a thread mainly for downgrade option talk which has been scattered.

In RDT Jack Steven @ 530k is probably the biggest bargain of the season. Problem is a I need a downgrade in the backs or fwds if I'm to make it happen cash wise. Hopper leaves me short and Mathieson leaves me 5k short.

So I'll probably pass on Hopper, grab Mathieson next week and need to jump on another rook this week.

Options are limited, liked what I saw from Paine on the weekend, took some really solid marks down back. Bailey Williams on the bubble is another option.

Team
    COLLINGWOOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter Poster

Re: Rd 10 Trades (Operation get Jack Steven)

I think it's important to be careful. Steven will still be cheapish next week. My biggest issue with trading in iffy guys is the byes are not to far away, you don't want to pick up any dead wood.
    - twitter @mammes

Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Certainly a legitimate concern, however I think its a risk worth taking if there is a decent prospect, captain material this week against Freo as well.

FFC Senior Assistant Coach Blues_FC's Avatar
    Team
    CARLTON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Already have Jack Steven.

Close thread pls.
    [Sam Gray - my boy for 2016]

5. Likes Wheedus, Crows88 liked this post
    FFC Senior Assistant Coach Blues_FC's Avatar
    Team
    CARLTON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But seriously....

Hopper is tempting but very expensive. Downgrading to him doesn't give me enough cash to get any premiums that I really want.

Mathieson looks the goods but hesitant to jump on after one week. Paine is another option. Trengove should be available in the next few weeks as a downgrade option also.

In terms of upgrades, I really want Docherty this week. Also interested in Robbie Gray and Sam Mitchell - both stupidly cheap.
    [Sam Gray - my boy for 2016]

FFC Premium
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am thinking of taking Hopper....his bye is what is swaying me towards making it happen.

I am thinking Smith --> Hopper....doesn't give a great deal of cash, but Hewett needs another week by hitting the 80's last week.

Will more than likely use some of that cash to get rid of the peaked rookie in Birchall. Done with his mediocrity and he is leaking points, will likely upgrade him to Boyd.

Team
    HAWTHORN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For an upgrade target I'm seriously tempted by Coniglio, nearly brought him in a couple of weeks ago but was worried he could keep it up and that fact he sometimes does a run with role.

Had a delayed start to the season missing round 1, started 67, 85 which you could put down to missing the start of the year, since then 113, 123, 119, 129, 101, 136
    Main problem now is he's priced at $610k, if Barlow or Wells aren't back this week think I might trade one of them and pay the premium to get him.

9. Likes Narkee, Ben the Gooner, Wheedus liked this post
    Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    890 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

For me it goes...

1. Mathieson - Strong scoring potential in a midfield role, would have played probably from round 1 if not for the broken cheek/jaw whatever it was. Team is crap and he has a future, always a good combo for JS. They're still playing guys like Taylor, Bastinac, Lester and Robertson who are hot trash and really should go out for the hot trash on the periphery before kids with futures. #InB4LeppaStrikes

2. Hopper - Best scoring potential, best pedigree, strongest team that is playing very fantasy friendly style but that is also his negative. Griffen is a couple of weeks away and their talent levels in the NEAFL are absurd, their reserves might beat a couple of the other sides right now... Also costs ~80k more than most of these other guys.

3. Paine - Good role for fantasy purposes in an over supplied back line, has proven in the past the ability to score decently at least, being a FWD is very handy for those seeking it and because of how thin the future forward options are, he might almost be a must take. They chased him and have stuck with him through all his injuries which should be a good sign but they've got a lot of his types fighting for spots. Obviously his durability has been awful and that's a concern.

4. Williams - He looks a very good player but his team is loaded in HBF types which is the role he's been playing, with Suckling 1-2 and JJ 4-6 away that probably presents the longest window you could reasonably anticipate because he's still young and pretty raw looking. He's similar to a Byrne or DBJ type from a scoring potential where he could have a big game but they both had much stronger JS to get the chance to do it. JS is the biggest issue by a mile with him as everything else is actually rock solid as far as scoring, price, position and the like.

5. West - I don't think he's one to go early on because his JS is also terrible but he had the #1 ruck role, might just be the Gawn factor or a sign of things to come but no way I'd leap based on that one sample. Has shown decent scoring ability in the past and as a R/F he has phenomenal utility if he makes the bye and even more if he plays out the season thanks to his ability to make points against any team without ruck cover should anything happen. Costs nearly 200k though, so it's probably an or scenario with Hopper and will obviously clash with Mathieson and Paine for those wanting upgrades to continue flowing. JS is still the single biggest problem, he'd be worth paying the extra for his R/F positioning if his JS was remotely good.

Mathieson is the only Lion I'd even consider going early on and that's purely because I think one of West/Paine might be a strong need for most teams and they both need more watching, any other coach and I'd certainly be leaping at Mathieson because he is a logical selection for the rest of the season but Leppa has proven that Gingers not only lack souls but also any sense of logic...

I'm still strongly leaning Williams in SC where his DPP has a lot of utility for future trades but the more I analyse it the more I think I'm going to have to get West next week if he is there and that as such going early on Mathieson might be an option. Might just do a double down next week though.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

11. Likes Notorious_29 liked this post
    Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    890 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Elvs1 View Post
    For an upgrade target I'm seriously tempted by Coniglio, nearly brought him in a couple of weeks ago but was worried he could keep it up and that fact he sometimes does a run with role.

Had a delayed start to the season missing round 1, started 67, 85 which you could put down to missing the start of the year, since then 113, 123, 119, 129, 101, 136
    Main problem now is he's priced at $610k, if Barlow or Wells aren't back this week think I might trade one of them and pay the premium to get him.
    He's scoring outstandingly, basically has become a Kane Cornes type where he is there to lock down but is just going off chops when his team has the pill. Winning his fair share of it straight up as well (always a good way to stop your man getting touches!), the tagging has been pretty intermittent and hasn't seemed to matter either. Ability to score pretty massive as well.

Only other factor to consider with him is his durability record is pretty poor not that that seems to have any kind of predictive ability this year...

FFC Agent of Chaos Big Sledge #32's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    577 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm genuinely torn on Hopper. I think I'll hedge and take him in SC and leave him in DT.

I took MacPherson in DT last week anyway and would like another week for Hewett before I cash him in.

Williams is my other interest because I am pretty desperate for a DEF downgrade. Tippa, Brown & Byrne in both teams plus DBJ and Adams across my teams. I need to get some of these guys out for a Doc/Boyd type up and a Williams is one of the only DEF options outside of Collins.
    Baltimore Ravens Superbowl XLVII Champions
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkee View Post
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elvs1 View Post

Also very tempted, although I think I'd prefer to pay his current price of $578k (EDIT - sorry, assumed you were talking SC)

He is all class. Actually, GWS are all class.

Great bye too.
    Proud coach of Big Jenny Talia FFC
    SC 2013 - 11th
    SC 2014
    - 16th
    SC 2015 and beyond - foetal position

"Yonnies in the wind, we're ruggin' up for winter"

FFC Football Operations Manager Hodges's Avatar
    Team
    HAWTHORN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fwiw Oscar MacDonald is also on the bubble this week.
    Only ever talking SC

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    673 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Hodges View Post
    Fwiw Oscar MacDonald is also on the bubble this week.
    Problem is, he's also bad at football

He's such a panic merchant, he makes his brother look as composed as Pendlebury.
    Never bet against Tom Rockliff

FFC Agent of Chaos Big Sledge #32's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    577 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Random thought but imagine how good Treloar would be scoring if he'd stayed at GWS.
    Baltimore Ravens Superbowl XLVII Champions
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkee View Post
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    890 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sledge #32 View Post
    Random thought but imagine how good Treloar would be scoring if he'd stayed at GWS.
    To be fair, Collingwood's mids are scoring better than anyone, they've got 3 of the top 6 averaging mids and that's even with the whole let's play Pendles in a back pocket thing.