Important News


User Tag List

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 134

Thread: Real Dream Team Launching 2nd Feb

  1. #16
    FFC Agent of Chaos Big Sledge #32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Adelaide
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Posts
    16,475
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    575 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Re: Real Dream Team Launching 2nd Feb

    Quote Originally Posted by Notorious_29 View Post
    Can't kick it old school? One comp without it would be nice for those of us who like to make plans on the weekend.
    I'd love 20 trades to kick it old school. Rolling Lockout is progress.

    I'm frankly sick of people who hate it pretending those who defend it have no lives. It shows how pathetic and stupid their argument is. If I'm at a bar with friends and I find out that Buddy is a late withdrawal you best believe I want to be able to do something about it.

    Come back with a better argument next time.
    Baltimore Ravens Superbowl XLVII Champions
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkee View Post
    SC only


    #AgentOfChaos

  2. #17
    Super Moderator dylan123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Posts
    17,589
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    584 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Re: Real Dream Team Launching 2nd Feb

    Also like the feeling of peace you get when that lockout finally hits on Friday night as you're forced to make a decision and live with it.

  3. #18
    Moderator Notorious_29's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Brisbane
    Team
    FREMANTLE
    Posts
    12,885
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Real Dream Team Launching 2nd Feb

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Sledge #32 View Post
    I'd love 20 trades to kick it old school. Rolling Lockout is progress.

    I'm frankly sick of people who hate it pretending those who defend it have no lives. It shows how pathetic and stupid their argument is. If I'm at a bar with friends and I find out that Buddy is a late withdrawal you best believe I want to be able to do something about it.

    Come back with a better argument next time.
    That's what emergencies are for, brings bench depth back into the game.

    You're entitled to that opinion but its a tad ridiculous to call me pathetic for wanting to enjoy my two days off work without having to check my phone for consistent updates.

    Some of us would prefer fantasy football to be a game and not a lifestyle habit. It also brings back a bit of enjoyment in watching the sport in general knowing you won't be doing any tinkering.

    I sure as hell know fantasy footy was a lot more enjoyable 5+ years ago, hell when I first started I was adding up scores in my own excel spreadsheet, no live updates.

  4. Likes Damion23, Narkee liked this post
  5. #19
    FFC CEO Narkee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Perth
    Team
    GEELONG
    Posts
    10,198
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    435 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Re: Real Dream Team Launching 2nd Feb

    It's horses for courses @Big Sledge #32 . Some people like to set and forget over the weekend. The randomness of a late out can benefit or impede on your success but those that prefer it, live with it.
    Zach Tuohy my boy for 2017!

  6. #20
    FFC CEO Narkee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Perth
    Team
    GEELONG
    Posts
    10,198
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    435 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Re: Real Dream Team Launching 2nd Feb

    Quote Originally Posted by Notorious_29 View Post
    I sure as hell know fantasy footy was a lot more enjoyable 5+ years ago, hell when I first started I was adding up scores in my own excel spreadsheet, no live updates.
    LOL

    I remember when I first started playing 'Kellog's Dream Team' you didn't even know your score until after lockout (even then it wasn't technically 'after lockout' as you only had two trade windows). So every Sunday, I used to sit down with the Sunday Times, open the sports section, grab a calculator and manually calculate my score for each player and tally them up. Used to also do it for my opponent so I knew if I had won before scores were released.
    Last edited by Narkee; 28th January 2016 at 11:23 AM.
    Zach Tuohy my boy for 2017!

  7. Likes Bert1, divvydan, Crows88, Notorious_29 liked this post
  8. #21
    Moderator Notorious_29's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Brisbane
    Team
    FREMANTLE
    Posts
    12,885
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Real Dream Team Launching 2nd Feb

    Haha yep, I would manually input the stats into my spreadsheet. Much simpler times, not even DPP's.

  9. #22
    Moderator Wogitalia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Team
    SYDNEY
    Posts
    22,003
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    888 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

    Re: Real Dream Team Launching 2nd Feb

    My favourite old school is when they first brought in emergencies and they covered all positions, so you'd pick the cheapest back you could find that wasn't playing and start them and I can remember having Cousins and Harvey on my bench in the midfield as emergencies The original emergency loophole!

    My favourite thing with rolling lockout is knowing you'll never trade in a guy only for him to be a late out again and that you remove the luck from the equation and make it more a game of skill. There is already far too much luck involved so anything that changes that equation is unequivocally good in my book.

    Ultimately that's what the difference comes down to, those who want more skill and control love it, those who are happy to put the feet up and ride a bit more luck wont. It's basically playing blackjack or roulette at the casino... one has an element of skill and one is just luck but roulette also requires far less attention and concentration as a result, which is nice
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

  10. Likes Bert1, Big Sledge #32, Narkee liked this post
  11. #23
    FFC Agent of Chaos Big Sledge #32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Adelaide
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Posts
    16,475
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    575 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Re: Real Dream Team Launching 2nd Feb

    I was in no way calling you stupid or pathetic, I have nothing but respect for yourself and all of the people here. I was however calling your argument stupid and pathetic which is a statement I 100% stand by.

    It is the crutch argument from rolling lockout naysayers to pretend like they are the only ones who have plans or that those who favour rolling lockout are in some kind of weird no lifers crew. So I'll call that out for the bullshit that it is. In the first year of rolling lockout I worked in a restaurant on Friday nights and in a bar every Saturday night. Most of the other years I've had social plans most weekends and I'm still a very vocal supporter of rolling lockouts. In spite of anytime it has bitten me on the ass.

    In an era where clubs don't accurately report injury lists, late withdrawals happen in more games than they don't I want the option to do something about it if I'm available. The notion of doing all of your trades on a Friday night is a ridiculously antiquated one in the modern era. If I can wait until Sunday morning to make my last trade then I sure as hell want to do that. I brought in Bonts in RDT in round 3 only for him to be a late withdrawal, that's just a bad feature set coupled with hard luck. I had to watch that game knowing I had been screwed over by an archaic system where had it been Supercoach I would have been sitting there knowing that rolling lockout saved me in one of the more crucial rounds of the fantasy season.

    Rolling lockout is essentially more control in a game we play that is just semi educated guesses and luck. Anything that gives me more control to not get hosed is a major win. I still go out and enjoy my weekend and if I miss something important I don't beat myself up about it because I know I had the chance to change it and I missed it. Rolling lockout has been the biggest singular improvement to FF that was made since I started playing almost a decade ago. I can understand arguments based on nostalgia or not feeling like a slave to updates. But don't ever try me with the 'rolling lockout is bad because I always have plans on the weekend' argument because most people on the other side of the debate have plans as well.
    Baltimore Ravens Superbowl XLVII Champions
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkee View Post
    SC only


    #AgentOfChaos

  12. Likes Bunga liked this post
  13. #24
    FFC CEO Narkee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Perth
    Team
    GEELONG
    Posts
    10,198
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    435 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Re: Real Dream Team Launching 2nd Feb

    @Wogitalia that was the GOAT emergency loophole; mid premiums scoring for your defenders.
    Zach Tuohy my boy for 2017!

  14. Likes Wogitalia liked this post
  15. #25
    FFC Agent of Chaos Big Sledge #32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Adelaide
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Posts
    16,475
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    575 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Re: Real Dream Team Launching 2nd Feb

    Quote Originally Posted by Narkee View Post
    It's horses for courses @Big Sledge #32 . Some people like to set and forget over the weekend. The randomness of a late out can benefit or impede on your success but those that prefer it, live with it.
    There were like another 4 comments as I wrote out that reply. That's perfectly fine if that is your attitude. My gripe was with the 'well I have a life so I hate rolling lockout' type argument.

    There are perfectly good arguments on both sides for rolling lockout but that isn't one of them. I love the chaos, but I also like that with the caveat of being able to adjust to it as it's generally the most fun aspect of the game to me these days.
    Baltimore Ravens Superbowl XLVII Champions
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkee View Post
    SC only


    #AgentOfChaos

  16. Likes Narkee liked this post
  17. #26
    Moderator Notorious_29's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Brisbane
    Team
    FREMANTLE
    Posts
    12,885
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Real Dream Team Launching 2nd Feb

    Quote Originally Posted by Wogitalia View Post
    My favourite old school is when they first brought in emergencies and they covered all positions, so you'd pick the cheapest back you could find that wasn't playing and start them and I can remember having Cousins and Harvey on my bench in the midfield as emergencies The original emergency loophole!

    My favourite thing with rolling lockout is knowing you'll never trade in a guy only for him to be a late out again and that you remove the luck from the equation and make it more a game of skill. There is already far too much luck involved so anything that changes that equation is unequivocally good in my book.

    Ultimately that's what the difference comes down to, those who want more skill and control love it, those who are happy to put the feet up and ride a bit more luck wont. It's basically playing blackjack or roulette at the casino... one has an element of skill and one is just luck but roulette also requires far less attention and concentration as a result, which is nice
    I liked this post until the last paragraph, would be accurate if you sat down at a table for 72 hours straight, however you don't have to, you can pick up your winnings go get a drink, **** your girlfriend senseless for a couple of hours in the hotel room and then come back without having to check your mobile for updates

    That's basically my point, with rolling lockouts if you're not on the ball at all times others take advantage simply because they dedicated more time not skill.

  18. #27
    Super Moderator dylan123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Posts
    17,589
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    584 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Re: Real Dream Team Launching 2nd Feb

    Really don't find the rolling lockout fun at all myself, more of a chore having to postpone trading and then play the stupid loophole game to try and keep up with everyone else.

    Also not really thinking about the time/checking late changes when I am doing something else/not prepared to then put everything on hold for 5-10 minutes as I update my side. So I'd obviously prefer it to be an even playing field rather then those that are prepared to go that extra step (and that would be the minority of the competition).


    Get the feeling we won't see any big changes this year, guess we'll probably know tomorrow with SC as RDT is usually the same guideline outside of the rolling lockout.

  19. Likes Bert1, Notorious_29, Narkee, pvcyclone liked this post
  20. #28
    Super Moderator Bunga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Perth
    Team
    WEST COAST
    Posts
    16,138
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    915 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Re: Real Dream Team Launching 2nd Feb

    Initially I wasn't sure if I would be a fan of the rolling lockout as my family/social life is busy like most but I do agree with Sledgey in that it at least gives you more control/you can make adjustments if necessary for the inevitable late withdrawls - so I am a fan of it. The other point is most people check their phones quite regularly & to make changes on your phone to your team really takes very little time at all.
    SC is FFC's number 1 fantasy game

  21. #29
    Super Moderator dylan123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Posts
    17,589
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    584 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Re: Real Dream Team Launching 2nd Feb

    Quote Originally Posted by Bunga View Post
    Initially I wasn't sure if I would be a fan of the rolling lockout as my family/social life is busy like most but I do agree with Sledgey in that it at least gives you more control/you can make adjustments if necessary for the inevitable late withdrawls - so I am a fan of it. The other point is most people check their phones quite regularly & to make changes on your phone to your team really takes very little time at all.
    I'm probably in the minority where I've never done a trade/sub/etc on my phone before but I imagine it would be a nightmare should the target you're going to be in is suddenly a late out when you're out (as BS suggested with Bonts). Coming up with another target would take a bit of thought and something kinda hard to set time aside (depending on what you're doing). Guess at the end of the day you can still get stuffed over as such with the rolling lockout, with a full lockout everyone's on an even playing field (in my eyes).

  22. #30
    Moderator Wogitalia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Team
    SYDNEY
    Posts
    22,003
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    888 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

    Re: Real Dream Team Launching 2nd Feb

    Quote Originally Posted by dylan123 View Post
    I'm probably in the minority where I've never done a trade/sub/etc on my phone before but I imagine it would be a nightmare should the target you're going to be in is suddenly a late out when you're out (as BS suggested with Bonts). Coming up with another target would take a bit of thought and something kinda hard to set time aside (depending on what you're doing). Guess at the end of the day you can still get stuffed over as such with the rolling lockout, with a full lockout everyone's on an even playing field (in my eyes).
    The app is pretty damn easy to use.

    I'd argue that having one window where you have one state who are still at work and another state that are going to be wading through peak hour traffic to get home in time is a more uneven playing field than rolling lockout.

    As someone in WA I've missed Friday lockout a good half dozen times throughout the years because I've been stuck in either a meeting or traffic and that's basically your entire season ruined if it's the wrong weekend. This probably biases my opinion greatly but having just one window that is 2 hours wide to make all your trades is, imo, far more uneven than having just that one game impacted by that window. With rolling lockout if you miss a trade, you can always scramble and recover on the other 8 games of the weekend, without it, game over.

    Ultimately though the major factor is still control. I like to leave as little to chance as possible and the rolling lockout gives coaches the power to do that. The less the game relies on the luck element the more it relies on skill, for me that's the biggest positive of rolling lockout.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •