Mentioned
    712 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Re: Forward Rookies

Quote Originally Posted by Narkee View Post
    Thoughts on Corey Ellis?

Actually considering him for my forward bench (or starting him ahead of Menadue). Named in the guts and Hardwick seems to love him.
    Keep in mind he wasn't selected for NAB 3, so his spot may be in jeopardy when Grigg, Deledio etc. return.

At his price in RDT and SC, I'd want to see more scoring power and/or job security.

2. Likes Narkee liked this post
    Team
    MELBOURNE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    466 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Narkee View Post
    Thoughts on Corey Ellis?

Actually considering him for my forward bench (or starting him ahead of Menadue). Named in the guts and Hardwick seems to love him.
    Rate him as a player. Excellent skills. Theoretically he's the sort of person that the Tigers would want to give the ball to on the outside of the contest. Does that mean he is more of a SC guy then? Price puts me off a bit in RDT, but beggars can't be choosers with the mid rookies this year, so on that basis alone I need to at least think about him.
    #teamANB

4. Likes Narkee liked this post
    Team
    HAWTHORN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mitch McGovern, what's his js and scoring like, last nab Game he went well and i don't think Adelaide are missing many.
    Have milera atm but could use the extra cash by switching them.

FFC Football Operations Manager Hodges's Avatar
    Team
    HAWTHORN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The two main ones they are missing are Charlie Cameron and Riley Knight. You would think both come straight into the side of fit.
    Only ever talking SC

7. Likes Elvs1 liked this post
    Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    896 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Elvs1 View Post
    Mitch McGovern, what's his js and scoring like, last nab Game he went well and i don't think Adelaide are missing many.
    Cameron is probably the biggest threat to his spot or maybe Hartigan if they're going to play Gov down back for some reason. Think biggest threat is that he isn't quite ready and loses the spot, I think it's a good sign he's been given the first chance but he needs to take it, Crows list is a crapshoot from about 20-30.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

9. Likes Elvs1 liked this post
    Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    896 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Just on Petracca...

Tore up the VFL intra-club but found this the most interesting part...

The 20-year-old, who is making his return from a broken toe suffered while playing basketball in the off-season, will be given a full month of football at VFL level before putting his hand up for senior selection.
    Not sure I buy it but probably makes anyone thinking of starting with him a waste, will be a perfect downgrade in round 7 or 8 based on that.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-03-2...-a-gamebreaker

fwiw Trengove also at least a month of VFL away according to article (horses mouth with Trengove rather than just journalist comment on Petracca).

11. Likes Wheedus liked this post
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    589 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elvs1 View Post
    I'd say he has low JS however he does have the chance to earn himself a few games if he can perform.

Guys like Cameron, Knight and Menzel should all be pushing for a spot but McGovern has the potential to offer us something we don't really have in our 22 which is a pack/contested marking forward. He showed very little of this in the first couple of games NAB cup games (although he had one good passage in the first game with his hard work resulting in a goal) but he really took the game on in the 3rd which earned his spot.

Think the club giving him 3 games to prove his worth kind of suggests we do rate him a bit and whatever he's been doing at training has paid off enough to get 3 games for the Crows during the NAB cup games. Along with his pack parking, he showed strong defensive pressure with his tackling and is someone that could roam up like Lynch/Tex do or maybe even help out down back if required.

Cameron we get speed, defensive pressure.

Knight isn't as fast as Cameron but he's still quick and appeared to impress all the coaches last season with the ground he was covering along with the defensive pressure he brought into our forward line.

Menzel doesn't have much of a tank but provides us another goal kicking forward who should be alright up in the air (not as a contesting marking forward) along with on the ground.

So whilst they're probably all pushing for a spot in the forward line, they all add something different to the line up. Really should be pressure on Mackay and Van Berlo for their spots in the side as well but he will need to do well in the next 1-2 weeks to remain in the side imo. Not sure if that makes him a better/worse/indifferent option to Papley.

Edit: Forgot about Milera, I think he's a better chance at remaining in the squad given how classy he's looked but he'll have the same amount of pressure to perform or lose his spot as McGovern but everything he's done in the pre season games suggests he'll remain in the side for a little while yet.

13. Likes Elvs1 liked this post
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

mcgovern is in the team, possession is 9/10th of the law he can control his destiny by performing. just the way jake kelly stuck in the side last year against all reason.

its his to lose.
    TEX WALKER. that is all.

15. Likes Elvs1 liked this post
    Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thoughts on Peter Wright? 195k in RDT. 105dt/142sc against North.

Seen him play twice now and simply looks to have what it takes at the highest level to make it. Strong on the lead, good hands, good recovery work at ground level and can pinch hit in the ruck.

17 disp, 8 marks and 3 goals is a super solid outing in a loss. Could make a lot of cash.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    589 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Have concerns at how KP players can score consistently, would like another look from him before I considered taking him over someone I'd otherwise make another ~70k from.

Didn't get to watch the GC game, was he playing FF or CHF? Assume CHF given the stats.

FFC Football Operations Manager Hodges's Avatar
    Team
    HAWTHORN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would love to see a heat map for him, I seem to remember him taking a few intercept marks but could be wrong. Definitely wasn't solely parked up forward though. Worry is how his role changes as they get their talks back.
    Only ever talking SC

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    896 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

He played really well, was basically the 2nd KPF and was the backup ruckman. He's a massive benefactor of getting 1 on 1 situations pretty much exclusively because North were basically put 3 people through Lynch.

Wright was really good but I'd be very surprised if that's close to his normal scoring, he's basically playing Sam Day's role from the first month and I'd expect he scores somewhere in that range more regularly.

I think Cox/Grimley are similar as well, will all score with high variability.

Smith had a decent role and has a chance to win a spot with all the injuries and form problems at the Pies, his kicking was very sloppy but he was hard at it and played well.

Tucker the clear standout to me though, he's very classy and looks to have a very solid role and I like his JS with the Freo season all but over and him being a big part of the future, he looked set to play round 1 before the knee injury in the preseason so it's not like he's come from nowhere.

I really liked Lee's game, especially for SC, he backs himself to mark in most situations and he uses the ball well, think it's his spot to lose right now but Roberton will be back in the not too distant future so he has to force them to pick him alongside rather than instead.

Hunt looks a really good player but with his injury history I'd think he will be rested a couple of times and his scoring potential is a bit questionable, more of the flash type like a Cockatoo or Milera type than the big substance, though with his skillset and role he could very well score very solidly at some point.

Sumner also looked solid to me, playing a role that can be lucrative (similar role to a Papley) but the bad side sure doesn't help him in that position. His DPP is useful but he's probably a rookie you're going to make little cash from. Was very highly rated at GWS before all the injuries (navicular fracture in particular, iirc) and he can really play, also is a little hard nut which I think Bolton will love. Wouldn't shock me if he ends up the best of this weeks rookies long term but that's more punt than solid basis because he has basically no runs on the board!

I'd be taking Lee, Sumner/Hunt then O'Brien this week if I was going multiple rookies. Sumner DPP probably a slight edge over Hunt's slightly better scoring, also think Sumner has a bit better JS, not much to come into that team but Demons have Oliver and Petracca both waiting, among a few others. O'Brien is just holding down a short term fort but he's got some talent and the strong team means he can score, just worry he could be out of the team next week, watch him play the rest of the season...

20. Likes Devo liked this post
    Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    334 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Shane Yarran to play first WAFL game this weekend. If he gets through a couple of WAFL games fine, he might press for selection at Freo. Given Freo has the rd 15 bye, he could be a very useful rookie if he's able to start getting AFL games from around Rd 9, giving him time to get his price up and then maybe get moved on for that final bye round.

22. Likes dylan123 liked this post
    Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    Shane Yarran to play first WAFL game this weekend. If he gets through a couple of WAFL games fine, he might press for selection at Freo. Given Freo has the rd 15 bye, he could be a very useful rookie if he's able to start getting AFL games from around Rd 9, giving him time to get his price up and then maybe get moved on for that final bye round.
    Kicked 3 goals in his first game back, could well be getting his debut game quite soon with the form of Freos forwards at the moment.

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    673 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter Poster

Will Hams, who is inexplicably a forward (he's literally a one trick pony inside mid), is going to play this week. There's a spot for him in our midfield if he plays well.
    Never bet against Tom Rockliff

25. Likes Notorious_29, Elvs1, pvcyclone, Bunga liked this post