Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Re: Rucks

Quote Originally Posted by Notorious_29 View Post
    Agreed, moreso noting he is in great shape with a full pre-season behind him for anyone thinking of taking a risky POD.

I'm fully on the Goldy + Martin lock load and forget bandwagon.

I had Jacobs and Goldy last year and although Jacobs had a pretty good year every week it hurt to see the numbers Stef was putting up. Gotta have the best of the best in every position.

Try having Jacobs and Grundy then

I'm the same, I don't see a need to complicate the ruck position. Martin has 120+ upside and has been durable the past two seasons, Goldy is as durable as they come and has been putting up basically 125 for just under 2 seasons now. NicNat, Jacobs and Blitz do tempt me as a curveball but I'd need to see something special from any of them to go past tempted to considering!
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

Team
    MELBOURNE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    465 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    Certainly hope Max or Mitchell King don't end up becoming a ruck option for Melbourne this year. Both have the same name (M.King), same price, same positions (ruck/fwd). Could see a lot of people trading in the wrong one if it happened that one was named.
    If you were playing VFL Dream Team, this would be a big problem.
    #teamANB

3. Likes Wogitalia, divvydan, Bert1, Crow-mo liked this post
    Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    334 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wogitalia View Post
    Surely it's easy to tell either by the green dot (if trading before they play) or their average (if they have played). It looks bad now but in practical terms the only way it's an issue is if you want to start one and they're not selected round 1, otherwise it strikes me as something that would require intention to actually mess up... (I'm almost certainly giving the Australian public too much credit here...)
    I still remember a whole lot of people picking Daniel O'Keefe instead of Ryan in a DT Finals competition, so you're probably giving too much credit . On the other hand, yeah, the green buttons will make things a lot easier, probably more an issue preseason if one of them scores well during the NAB Challenge.

5. Likes Bert1 liked this post
    Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    921 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

For those looking for a unique pick :-

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-0...tch-simulation

MELBOURNE ruckman Max Gawn looks well placed to build on his breakout 2015 campaign, continuing his fine pre-season with a standout display in the club's match simulation at training on Tuesday.

The 24-year-old was a constant presence during the hour-long scratch match, with his ability to get from contest to contest particularly noteworthy.

Gawn's endurance appears to have gone to a new level this pre-season and it showed out in his battle with Jake Spencer.

Gawn worked forward and hauled in a couple of big pack marks inside 50, but equally impressive was how he ran back to support the defence.

He has been working hard on his craft with ruck coach Greg Stafford and looms as a vital player in Melbourne's setup this season.
    http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-0...tch-simulation
    SC is FFC's number 1 fantasy game

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

I love Gawn but at his price I can't find any argument that he is worth the risk!

You're basically taking on his terrible durability and zero history as a premium or backing Goldy, Jacobs, NicNat and Martin to fail just to ride that beautifully bearded train.

He's basically priced at a point where he has to match their scoring or it's a failure unfortunately.

Great to hear he is looking fit though and credit to anyone who does ride the train, I don't have cajones of that calibre.

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    711 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

lol his battle with Jake Spencer....

may as well say his battle with XXXXL traffic cone.

9. Likes Devo liked this post
    Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    921 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-1...r-big-workload

STAR North Melbourne ruckman Todd Goldstein insists he still has plenty of room for improvement and is gearing up for another punishing workload in 2016.

Goldstein was the AFL's standout ruckman last year, winning All Australian honours and the Roos' best and fairest for the first time, while also finishing 10th in the Brownlow Medal.

For the second-straight year, Goldstein played all-but one match - when he was rested before finals - averaging 90 per cent game time and breaking the League's record for hit-outs in a season (1058).

Entering what some believe is a make-or-break season for the ageing Roos' flag hopes, the 201cm big man once again looms as a key to North's fortunes and Goldstein's preference is to shoulder the majority of the ruck.

However, after re-signing until the end of 2019 late last year, the 27-year-old said his chief focus is to ensure the Roos advance beyond the preliminary final stage this year.

"I think all ruckmen like to play the majority in the ruck," Goldstein said.

"You get more continuity in your game, you're around the ball more and allows you to statistically appear like you've had a better game because you're in it more.

"Obviously I would prefer to (play mostly in the ruck), but we're at the point now where our goal is to win a premiership, so whatever my role is to help us do that, I'm not fussed."

Ben Brown was a solid pinch-hitter in the ruck for North last season, but with the sub rule scrapped and interchange rotations capped at 90 some clubs are toying with the idea of bringing back a second ruckman.

The Roos traded back-up big man Daniel Currie to Gold Coast last season, although Majak Daw and youngster Braydon Preuss impressed in an intra-club hit-out last Friday.

However, Goldstein said he's covering the ground as well as he ever has this pre-season and was confident his body would continue to stand up despite the weekly battering from opposition big men.

"There's no worries with my body. My body got through fine. I got through to (last year's) prelim with no issues at all," he said.

"I think that week off before finals now is going to help everyone. But I'm not worried about my body at all at this stage.

"I don't see why I can't play whatever role the coaches want me to play. If that's me playing on my own like I did last year, then that's fine.

"If they want to add another ruckman in, I'll just have to adjust my game."

Goldstein averaged nearly 15 touches and four marks last season, however he's determined to have an even bigger influence around the ground.

"I made a lot of mistakes through the year. Obviously my ruck work was quite good, but still trying to have an impact around the ground is the key I need to keep working on and how to get used more," he said.

"There's lots of areas to improve.
    I don't think anyone in the AFL has ever played the perfect season."
    http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-1...r-big-workload

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

God, if he ever puts up Cox like numbers around the ground we can all bow down to him in fantasy. He's basically Sandi on the hitouts so it's a scary concept.

I've basically moved past flirting with any other ruck ideas at this point. Goldy and Stef in all formats for me

12. Likes Crows88, Bunga liked this post
    Team
    GEELONG
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Is Stef a good SC'er? He seems to be a bit closer to the pack in that format. I suppose my question should be along the lines of, should we be looking at more value in the second ruck in SC given rucks outside of Goldy are harder to pick (i.e. NN or Lobbe)?
    Zach Tuohy my boy for 2017!

Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    921 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Narkee View Post
    Is Stef a good SC'er? He seems to be a bit closer to the pack in that format. I suppose my question should be along the lines of, should we be looking at more value in the second ruck in SC given rucks outside of Goldy are harder to pick (i.e. NN or Lobbe)?
    NN I worry about his endurance with less rotations - he was the most benched player last year I recall, low TOG. Also ongoing durability concerns.

Lobbe apparently had a terrible intra-club game, didn't look flash at all.

Finally, I will paste Wogi's epic post on page 1 regarding Martin as it is worth a read again :-

Stefan Martin
    2015 Average - 110.8
    5 Year Average - 91.13
    Age - 29
    5 Year Games Average - 13

Pros

1. Consecutive seasons of elite scoring. Especially after the Leuenberger share thing ended promptly last year. Has a 3rd season of very good scoring as well.
    2. No competition for his spot this year, he is the #1 ruck for certain and the share will be a part timer almost certainly.
    3. Massive possession totals make him very consistent and capable of huge scores.
    4. Elite midfielders around him should make his hitouts more valuable.

Cons

1. Durability is a bit sketchy, has been good the past two years though.

Overall Feel: Again, very few cons in my opinion against some excellent pros. Guy can flat out score and is a beast at that. Consecutive 110+ seasons is the real standout for him, it really does set a threshold that very few other ruckmen are actually capable of making. I think he can actually go higher given his raw stats, plenty of guys improve their ratios and his raw DT position is so gluttonous that he could easily push towards 130 with a better ratio. I don't think he will, his unusual SC ratio for a ruckman is justified (tapwork is not good, disposal a bit hit and miss) but one thing I always like is guys who have a genuine area to improve that would swing their scoring. Another guy I think is a very strong starting option. If you don't start him you're basically saying he needs to maintain or drop and that whoever you take is going to push to the 110+ category. Annoying that Goldy and Martin share a bye but it is what it is!

15. Likes Narkee liked this post
    Team
    GEELONG
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Lock in Goldy and Stef in both formats
    Zach Tuohy my boy for 2017!

17. Likes Crow-mo liked this post
    Team
    MELBOURNE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    465 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep have to lock in the two big dogs. I'll overthink plenty of things before round 1, but not this.
    #teamANB

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    711 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Agree definitely the two big guns.

Only way I can see myself not going that way is if Currie can manage to get himself into the #1 role by rd 1.

And if I had to choose, I'd be going with Stef as he's got more upside given no Leuenberger this year.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

I like Goldy more in SC if I'm going one because he is a legitimate captain option, perhaps even the best given his propensity for monster scores. Everyone and their dog will certainly have Rocky and Ablett so having an option some will avoid due to cost is not a bad option.

I'm locking them both in until otherwise though so it doesn't matter to me Will certainly be considering Goldy as captain in round 1 though, even against Jacobs!

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's actually a refreshing change this year not having to agonise over this part of the field

EDIT - then again, it does concern me a little how popular Lobbe is. Priced at 72, a 100 average from him as lone ruckman (he did it in 2014) is a whole lot of upside....

God I dislike this game sometimes
    Last edited by Wheedus; 16th February 2016 at 08:12 PM.
    Proud coach of Big Jenny Talia FFC
    SC 2013 - 11th
    SC 2014
    - 16th
    SC 2015 and beyond - foetal position

"Yonnies in the wind, we're ruggin' up for winter"